Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Most fun I have had with a game in a long time. Some noticeable console features in the design, you can tell it was designed for a gamepad. This is most noticeable in using the melee weapons. The slo-mo execution animations are pretty darn cool. +1 on the cool factor of the jet pack. Also +1 on capturing flavor of WH40K, some pretty damn epic visuals and gameplay moments. Give me first person perspective and gene stealers and I would be in nerdvana. Demo left me wanting more so it served its purpose. I never replay demos, but I replayed this one multiple times last night.

Anyone having trouble downloading this demo on steam? I click download demo and nothing happens.

Is there an alternate location to find the demo?

Nevin73 wrote:

It reminds me a lot of Republic Commando.

Praise the Emperor! I loved that game.

It's a little sad how emotionally invested I've become in Space Marine actually being good. Especially since I hadn't even heard of Warhammer, like, a year ago.

I'll be slaying heretics and xenos on the 360 come 9/6 if any of you battle-brothers want to join.

Nevin73 wrote:

It reminds me a lot of Republic Commando.

Wait what?

Why didn't anybody tell me? Loved that game, I wasn't really interested in 40K but now you got me!

drdoak wrote:

Anyone having trouble downloading this demo on steam? I click download demo and nothing happens.

Is there an alternate location to find the demo?

I think you have to pre-order the game to get "early access to the demo". Not sure when the demo is being released publicly. I have an aversion to pre-orders, so I'll be waiting it out.

SpyNavy wrote:

Most fun I have had with a game in a long time. Some noticeable console features in the design, you can tell it was designed for a gamepad. This is most noticeable in using the melee weapons. The slo-mo execution animations are pretty darn cool. +1 on the cool factor of the jet pack. Also +1 on capturing flavor of WH40K, some pretty damn epic visuals and gameplay moments. Give me first person perspective and gene stealers and I would be in nerdvana. Demo left me wanting more so it served its purpose. I never replay demos, but I replayed this one multiple times last night.

Loved it!!! However, it reminds me of Batman - you can tell it was designed for consoles, but still a solid showing on the PC. Still I might have to get my gamepad's finally working on my PC.

Forte wrote:
drdoak wrote:

Anyone having trouble downloading this demo on steam? I click download demo and nothing happens.

Is there an alternate location to find the demo?

I think you have to pre-order the game to get "early access to the demo". Not sure when the demo is being released publicly. I have an aversion to pre-orders, so I'll be waiting it out.

Yes, to play the demo now you have to pre-order. I believe the demo is for everyone on Aug 23rd...

armedbushido wrote:
Forte wrote:
drdoak wrote:

Anyone having trouble downloading this demo on steam? I click download demo and nothing happens.

Is there an alternate location to find the demo?

I think you have to pre-order the game to get "early access to the demo". Not sure when the demo is being released publicly. I have an aversion to pre-orders, so I'll be waiting it out.

Yes, to play the demo now you have to pre-order. I believe the demo is for everyone on Aug 23rd...

Oh, that's dumb.

You get Darksiders for free too. That was a nice surprise.

ranalin wrote:

You get Darksiders for free too. That was a nice surprise.

Is it any good?

LOL that is going to be another GWJ meme, isn't it?

I don't typically pre-order games because Gamefly is very reliable where I live and it is very nice to buy new games at used price when I do buy games. With all of the exciting games coming out in the next couple of months this game is looking to be a good start to the avalanche of games that will be released by the end of 2011.

I had my doubts about the game but after playing the demo I am very excited to get into this game when it comes out on steam. Switching between long range and melee feels pretty good and I'm looking forward to crushing skulls with a thunder hammer.

Going to replay the demo levels AGAIN. Once you get the hang of stun and execute, the game becomes a little easier. Grenades and the mine launching gun are pretty fun, I like how the mine sticks to an ork. Going to see if I can load a boss ork with 5 mines and detonate for an instant kill.

Another game that I would say is comparable is Transformers: War for Cybertron without the, uh, transforming. I just replayed it again. The Power Axe is full of awesome power-goodness.

It does seem a bit hard at first until, as SpyNavy said, you get the hang of stun and execute.

ranalin wrote:

You get Darksiders for free too. That was a nice surprise.

If they do that on console as well, I will pre-order. Here is hoping!

I played with a 360 controller and enjoyed it. Didn't even know there was multiplayer. Hope it's good.

Replayed several times and then bought Republic Commando because of a post in thread indicating similarity. RC isn't bad, but it isn't Space Marine. They did such a good job capturing the feel of being a Space Marine. I really hope they are going to support mods. I am hoping flamers and powerfists make an appearance.

Good wish list start. Also:
Devastator gear
Terminator armor
I'm not sure if a Dreadnought would work.

Tagging.

Nevin73 wrote:

Good wish list start. Also:
Devastator gear
Terminator armor
I'm not sure if a Dreadnought would work.

What sort of Devastator gear? We've got heavy bolters, obviously, and I'm sure I spotted a lascannon in the MP trailer. Not sure about the other typical Dev equipment (missile launcher, plasma cannon, multi-melta?)

Terminator armor -- would love to see it, but probably too unbalanced for standard multiplayer. It could work in an onslaught or Last Stand mode, or best of all, in a Space Hulk mode (i.e., defending against waves of purestrain genestealers).

Dreadnought -- again, probably too unbalancing for MP, unless it were something like a one-against-many mode or possibly escorting an NPC dreadnought. I recall the devs specifically mentioning dreadnoughts in one of the SP diaries, though, so dreads might show up in the campaign. (If so -- GREAT!)

I caved in and pre-ordered the game today.

The demo is AMAZING. I'm very hyped up for this game. This game plays like a dream. I'm surprised at how solid the engine is. The game runs like butter at max settings on my machine and there's so much going on at any given time.

Very cool to read the positive impressions of the PC demo.

What does everyone think about the feel of the ranged combat and controls for moving Titus around? Do certain weapons feel weak or OP? Does movement feel fast or slow compared to some other TPS like Gears of War? How easy was it to pick up on the stun/execution mechanic?

Maclintok wrote:

Very cool to read the positive impressions of the PC demo.

What does everyone think about the feel of the ranged combat and controls for moving Titus around? Do certain weapons feel weak or OP? Does movement feel fast or slow compared to some other TPS like Gears of War? How easy was it to pick up on the stun/execution mechanic?

I thought the ranged combat felt quite right, especially with a mouse and keyboard. The bolters had a nice 'bark" to them. I was little worried when I heard them in some of the trailers. I didn't find them overpowered at all, personally. A mass reactive shell should probably make an Ork's head pop like an overripe melon with one shot.

The game definitely feels faster than Gears. There also feel like there is much more freedom of movement, as is to be expected with a game that has a close combat emphasis

The stun mechanic didn't take me too long to pick up on. It was interesting to discover how to with combo attacks. This did make it a little too easy to take down the Nobs IMO.

Dixie_Flatline wrote:

Dreadnought -- again, probably too unbalancing for MP, unless it were something like a one-against-many mode or possibly escorting an NPC dreadnought. I recall the devs specifically mentioning dreadnoughts in one of the SP diaries, though, so dreads might show up in the campaign. (If so -- GREAT!)

From what I saw in one of the past trailers (I think it was a trailer), there is a least one cool guest (or rather, guests) that makes an introduction in to the game at some point. It might be nice to also see a dreadnought amongst the fray, even if its in the background. If so, I will name him Venerable Brother Stompy.

I take it the demo is singleplayer only? I'm interested to see how the multiplayer for this works out.

Redwing wrote:

I take it the demo is singleplayer only? I'm interested to see how the multiplayer for this works out.

Yes, demo is SP. Only two "missions", if you will. The second mission, which demonstrates the jump jets, if fairly short.

So when does the demo unlock for those that haven't preordered?

Given all the comments about the demo, I'm assuming the majority of people are going PC? Thinking about grabbbing this, but I want to go were the larger pool is for co-op ops.

Prozac wrote:

So when does the demo unlock for those that haven't preordered?

August 24th.

Been looking at some trailers. Got to say this looks really good. I don't think it will sell those because of the name and how they ripped off WOW. Everybody has to ripped other people off. I just picked up a book called journey to the west that totally stole all its ideas from the dragon ball anime.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

I don't think it will sell those because of the name and how they ripped off WOW.

IMAGE(http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215543608_oPsC3-L-2.jpg)