My world was officially rocked today.
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine pre-E3 preview on IGN
About a year ago, we saw some leaked, pre-alpha footage that didn't strike the fancy of many folks. Without much more to go on, the game was somewhat dismissed by some as a going to be failure.
The above trailer and preview makes it sound like this is going to be the WH40K game the fans have wanted for a long time. The best piece of news in the preview is the fact that the game is being made by Relic. Relic has masterfully captured the tone and atmosphere of the WH40K universe in their Dawn of War series, so I have the up most faith that they will do it again here.
Some quick highlights from what I glimpsed in the preview and trailer:
- Large number of enemies on the screen at one time.
- Chaos (from the pre-alpha footage), Orks, and Tyranids are in the game already
- Multiple weapons and wargear for the player to use. It looks like jump packs will even be usable.
- The trailer showed a squad of 4 marines battling Orks, and Relic has confirmed multiplayer will be a big part of this. Co-op is a strong possibility.
- Possibility of doing one on one duels with larger boss monsters.
While no release date has been set yet for the game, this has no become my number one anticipated title for the for-foreseeable future.