Random thing you loathe right now.

Dysplastic wrote:
Clemenstation wrote:

Who said anything bad about NWT?

Clemenstation wrote:

Still playing with this whoreson BlackBerry Bold.

I just accidentally called my boss's parents, who happened to be the only entry in the contact list.

Now I'm adding random numbers from the Yukon and Northwest Territories into the phone, to minimize my chances of future accidents.

In case you were wondering about relevance, all of the aforementioned things are loathesome.

You did, you bastard!

I'm telling you what I don't loathe - this beautiful afternoon.

Touche, sir, touche.

dthind wrote:
Loathe:

Twitter, hearing about twitter, seeing twitter, watching people "Twit" when they should be doing anything else.

I only watch CNN for half an hour before leaving the house in the mornings, and every time that Heidi girl says something about twitter I want to smash the screen in.

It is NOT cool young hip etc. It's just stupid. And now with this "internet revolution", any arsehole can get his idle witterings on the news. BLAH, I say, BLAH.

I loathe my lack of willpower when it comes to spaghetti. My stomach hurts.

12 hour work days. On a freakin' Friday.

Aaron D. wrote:
muttonchop wrote:
BadKen wrote:
magnus wrote:
f*cking scam car warranty auto dial calls.

FTC got a restraining order last week, shutting down two companies that were doing a lot of this.

Now if only someone would shut down all the "Congratulations! You've won a trip to ___!" auto-dial scam artists.

I just wish there were a blanket law that stopped unsolicited calls of all types altogether. It was one thing when they only interrupted your dinner years ago, but now that everyone has cell phones, these damn calls are actually costing people money when they dial your cell during peak hours (I'm on an evening/weekends for free plan). Even if I don't pick up the call (which I don't), it burns my monthly minutes from 7am to 7pm.

Same goes for unsolicited faxes announcing weekend getaway vacations that burn through your toner carts. Those stupid things use toner ink on like 75% of the page.

Unsolicited anything just burns my briefs.

I've heard that if you press "2" they will remove you from their call lists. I've done it on our work phone (I answer at least 3 of these calls a day when I'm near the front desk), and the spiel immediately halts with a quick "thank you" then sweet, sweet silence. So it either works, or I've inadvertently signed my company up for a great deal of insurance/credit card scams...

WipEout wrote:

I've heard that if you press "2" they will remove you from their call lists. I've done it on our work phone (I answer at least 3 of these calls a day when I'm near the front desk), and the spiel immediately halts with a quick "thank you" then sweet, sweet silence. So it either works, or I've inadvertently signed my company up for a great deal of insurance/credit card scams...

Still, commercial robocalls are illegal under the TCPA. They ignore the do-not-call list as well, and I've read multiple reports of people continuing to receive calls from the same company after opting out.

Asz wrote:
Trying to sell my furniture on Craigslist has become a complete chore. Listen guys, if you're not interested, don't e-mail me. Do tell me you'll be by in an hour and never show up, don't tell me you'll be by tomorrow and never show up, and don't tell me you're waiting to get money and never contact me again. I hate you people!

It makes you wonder how so many people seem to be able to function, i.e. show up for work every day, put their pants on correctly, etc. I think we're all just so self-centered that we don't take anyone else's time into consideration.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Amoebic wrote:
(Hugs for above).

My loathe?
Guys who turn up their bumpin' stereos while throwing the what's up, baby? nod if there are females in adjacent cars (or any other time, for that matter). We are not impressed. You look like a tool and it renders your wiener size questionable. Rattling trunks and crackling speakers impress no one. Also, I'm trying to listen to music here, and you're drowning it out, you buzzkill.

I also suspect you're going to be the deaf motherf*cker in the old folk's home who yells all the time with the tv cranked at 8am. Once a pain in the ass, always a pain in the ass, I guess.

What if what we're bumping is NPR?

I loathe whatever filter IT set up at work that blocks NPR.

Points for creativity, good taste, and testicular fortitude in the face of absurdity. Especially if it's Science Friday. However, it's still invasive and douchey on a noise pollution level. Self-deprecating humor does take the slimy edge off of a leer, though.

I love me some NPR podcasts. Does one side of your head face away from the door? You could sneak an earbud in there.

Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.

Loathing.

Right now.

A little hint for my fellow Canadians who get hit with telemarketers. A friend of mine who used to work for a survey company informed me of this little gem that is in fact on our law books. If any human telemarketer calls you, all you have to say at any point in the conversation is "Take me off your list." and hang up the phone. Apparently, if they ever call you again after having said that, you can report them to the RCMP. I was told this years ago when we used to get sometimes 2 or 3 telemarketing calls a day and after using that trick for about a month or so, the calls all but completely stopped. It worked for my Mom as well. This won't help with auto-dialers but I thought I'd pass along the tip for the annoying humans as well.

My Effing POS cellphone. Time for a new one.....when I can get one that does what I need. And then the fun of putting all the software and information on it.....

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
A little hint for my fellow Canadians who get hit with telemarketers. A friend of mine who used to work for a survey company informed me of this little gem that is in fact on our law books. If any human telemarketer calls you, all you have to say at any point in the conversation is "Take me off your list." and hang up the phone. Apparently, if they ever call you again after having said that, you can report them to the RCMP. I was told this years ago when we used to get sometimes 2 or 3 telemarketing calls a day and after using that trick for about a month or so, the calls all but completely stopped. It worked for my Mom as well. This won't help with auto-dialers but I thought I'd pass along the tip for the annoying humans as well.

Best thing to do with any solicitation call is talk, talk, talk and talk about nothing. The agent will take you off the list.

Talk about kids, grandmothers, puppies, the color of the sky, mount everest, and dont shut up. They will hang up on you. Never talk or respond in any logical manner about why they are calling. basically they will think you are insane and remove you from their dialing pool

Clients who seem to wait until the Friday of a holiday weekend to e-mail a bunch of questions/work while telling me about their vacation plans.

!@#$ you.

Being in the car. A 7 hour drive turned into an 11 hour drive.

dthind wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:
A little hint for my fellow Canadians who get hit with telemarketers. A friend of mine who used to work for a survey company informed me of this little gem that is in fact on our law books. If any human telemarketer calls you, all you have to say at any point in the conversation is "Take me off your list." and hang up the phone. Apparently, if they ever call you again after having said that, you can report them to the RCMP. I was told this years ago when we used to get sometimes 2 or 3 telemarketing calls a day and after using that trick for about a month or so, the calls all but completely stopped. It worked for my Mom as well. This won't help with auto-dialers but I thought I'd pass along the tip for the annoying humans as well.

Best thing to do with any solicitation call is talk, talk, talk and talk about nothing. The agent will take you off the list.

Talk about kids, grandmothers, puppies, the color of the sky, mount everest, and dont shut up. They will hang up on you. Never talk or respond in any logical manner about why they are calling. basically they will think you are insane and remove you from their dialing pool

You can also what my dad did:

DAD: "Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal, but I'm short on cash right now. Maybe we could barter? I have some great 1972 GM truck parts - what do you say?

TM: "I don't think I need any truck parts sir..."

DAD: "Are you in any way implying that my truck parts are not worth your time? These are quality parts! If I have to listen to you sell me crap I don't want, don't need and can't afford - why can't you be polite and let me tell you about my truck parts?

TM: *click*...*dial tone*

They never called again.

Sonicator wrote:
RedJen wrote:
I'll second Kannon. I've seen Mex's general guide to talking to women and if he ever starts a men's magazine, he'll give Playboy (or maybe more accurately Hustler) a run for their money.

Where is this mystical guide? Now I'm curious!


Drop Mex a PM

dthind wrote:
Loathe:

Twitter, hearing about twitter, seeing twitter, watching people "Twit" when they should be doing anything else.

So Out of Nowhere, five different people sent me invites to their twitter page or whatever the F it is called after I made this post.

be right back, looking for a sharp razor... /wrists

Nigerian scammers. I put my old laptop on ebay, and a Nigerian phisher made a bid. Now I get to enjoy the pleasure of dealing with E-bay customer service to try and get my object back on sale. Le sigh...

Cyclists who go through red lights. I nearly got knocked off my bike at the weekend by a cyclist who shot through a red. He just stared at me blankly when I swore at him, like the idea of actually obeying the laws of the road was insane.

The thing I hate most is that they give all cyclists a bad name.

Mondays,
Oncoming winter
Living at an altitude not fit for humans

Working retail.
It degrades the soul. Makes me miss waiting tables.

Amoebic wrote:
Working retail.
It degrades the soul. Makes me miss waiting tables.
I'd imagine it's as bad as customer services. Telephone customer services at that. Ugh, I hate my job. Damn this recession for not giving me any options for other work

Being sick. It ruined my last two weekends.

Shopping. People are idiots and being in retail envrionments with them is unbareable.

Zelos wrote:
Cyclists who go through red lights. I nearly got knocked off my bike at the weekend by a cyclist who shot through a red. He just stared at me blankly when I swore at him, like the idea of actually obeying the laws of the road was insane.

The thing I hate most is that they give all cyclists a bad name.


Funny, I posted the same thing on page 2 ;-). I agree, though, it does make it harder for the rest of us.

Atlanta

Minarchist wrote:
Zelos wrote:
Cyclists who go through red lights. I nearly got knocked off my bike at the weekend by a cyclist who shot through a red. He just stared at me blankly when I swore at him, like the idea of actually obeying the laws of the road was insane.

The thing I hate most is that they give all cyclists a bad name.


Funny, I posted the same thing on page 2 ;-). I agree, though, it does make it harder for the rest of us.

Something I only do if I don't see any cross traffic, or anyone directly in front of me.

I thought for a second that I was the cyclist that nearly knocked Zelos off his bike, but then I saw his location. Yesterday on my ride, there was some shinebox who decided to stop erratically (read: try to do a trackstand on a touring bike). As the light turned green and I was passing him, he nearly turned right into me as he was losing his balance, and I shot by because I don't trust other cyclists in SF (let alone those that don't wear helmets, such as this DB) and I wanted to be as far away from him as possible. I looked back to see him trying to chase me down, but apparently couldn't keep up because I never saw him again.

I hate the crazy scary trilogy of zombie dreams I had last night that made me wake up early.

Dream #1 - The zombies are starting to attack the city, so my girlfriend and I go to an elevated billboard with a bunch of other refugees in hopes that the zombies cannot climb up to the billboard. We soon realize that the billboard is crowded and cold, so rather than just wait for the zombies to swarm the area, I run off to get blankets and supplies to bring back, because I know that eventually the zombies will arrive and they will see everyone sitting at the base of the billboard. Zombies being zombies, will just wait there for us to come down, so I wanted to nip that possibility in the bud.

At this point, I kind of wake up and am a little nervous from that part of the dream, but go back to sleep.

Dream #2- I retrieve some food and supplies from an empty and creepy college dorm complex, but cannot get back to the billboard because there are zombies outside. By the way, these aren't slow zombies, they're rage zombies a la 28 Days Later. So I have to barricade myself in this huge dorm building, only to fall back to a small room, wherein I hide under something (the blankets? I can't remember). I then proceed to the dorm facilities sewers (because they have those?) and tried to flee the pursuing zombies only to run into a ton of refugees who get killed by the sewer's automated mechanical defenses. (Before you say that is far-fetched, keep in mind the number of 2D platformers with similar scenarios)

I wake up again. Ugh, this dream is creepy. Once again, I am too tired to fully wake up, so I venture back to sleep for the finale.

Dream #3- The zombies are gone and I (for some reason) visit my middle school which has been cleaned up in the wake of the zombie uprising. It was cleaned up really quickly too, like within hours of the final battles. I enter a classroom and meet a teacher, who I didn't know but tries to comfort me as we exit the building. I look around outside the school and see everything in ruins, including the billboard to which I had meant to return. This makes me sad. What makes me even more upset is the winged demon who sweeps down and kills the teacher I had just met and then kills me, at which point I wake up, no longer able to sleep (at 6:00 a.m on Memorial Day!)

You know what? I loathe L4D Survival Mode for making me think that the zombie apocalypse may be unsurvivable!

Insomnia.

Mr.Root wrote:
Insomnia.

Quoted for truth.

Grubber788 wrote:
I hate the crazy scary trilogy of zombie dreams I had last night that made me wake up early.

Dream #1 - The zombies are starting to attack the city, so my girlfriend and I go to an elevated billboard with a bunch of other refugees in hopes that the zombies cannot climb up to the billboard. We soon realize that the billboard is crowded and cold, so rather than just wait for the zombies to swarm the area, I run off to get blankets and supplies to bring back, because I know that eventually the zombies will arrive and they will see everyone sitting at the base of the billboard. Zombies being zombies, will just wait there for us to come down, so I wanted to nip that possibility in the bud.

At this point, I kind of wake up and am a little nervous from that part of the dream, but go back to sleep.

Dream #2- I retrieve some food and supplies from an empty and creepy college dorm complex, but cannot get back to the billboard because there are zombies outside. By the way, these aren't slow zombies, they're rage zombies a la 28 Days Later. So I have to barricade myself in this huge dorm building, only to fall back to a small room, wherein I hide under something (the blankets? I can't remember). I then proceed to the dorm facilities sewers (because they have those?) and tried to flee the pursuing zombies only to run into a ton of refugees who get killed by the sewer's automated mechanical defenses. (Before you say that is far-fetched, keep in mind the number of 2D platformers with similar scenarios)

I wake up again. Ugh, this dream is creepy. Once again, I am too tired to fully wake up, so I venture back to sleep for the finale.

Dream #3- The zombies are gone and I (for some reason) visit my middle school which has been cleaned up in the wake of the zombie uprising. It was cleaned up really quickly too, like within hours of the final battles. I enter a classroom and meet a teacher, who I didn't know but tries to comfort me as we exit the building. I look around outside the school and see everything in ruins, including the billboard to which I had meant to return. This makes me sad. What makes me even more upset is the winged demon who sweeps down and kills the teacher I had just met and then kills me, at which point I wake up, no longer able to sleep (at 6:00 a.m on Memorial Day!)

You know what? I loathe L4D Survival Mode for making me think that the zombie apocalypse may be unsurvivable!

Don't be sad-- that's what an "Evil Dead" game should be.