Random thing you loathe right now.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
mudbunny wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Trying to explain my undergrad grades on this grad school application. Spoiler alert: I'm not counting on getting into grad school.

But you know, nothing ventured. Besides, what else was I going to do with all this money for application and transcript fees?

From the chemistry/science side of things, the interview that you have with the prospective professors counts *way* more than your marks.

I'm assuming you went to school in Canada, right? Interviews aren't really common for chemistry departments in the US. I don't know of a department that does.

From what I've been told, it's fairly common to explain low grades in you personal statement. But, that's assuming that your transcript is ok enough for them to read your personal statement in the first place.

Depends on how low your low grades were, and when you got them. If you ended up with better grades toward the end you should be fine. Worst comes to worst apply at a smaller school to pick up a masters first if your dead set on getting a PhD.

AP Erebus wrote:

I am in a bit of a rut at the minute.

The last couple of weeks have been quite tough mentally. I've been catching up with a lot of my uni friends almost all of them are now in committed relationships and are purchasing houses and such.

Now I realise I'm not really in a bad position, being 26 with no appreciable debt and obligations, but it's been tough not thinking I'm being left behind.

Part of this is the recent (early Dec) demise of my last relationship and that's been quite frustrating and disheartening to come to terms with. The other major part is my housemates are getting married later this year so being exposed to all the excited wedding planning is wearing thin.

I know it'll get better, but it's just tough atm.

Don't measure your life using someone else's ruler. You're under no obligation to be in the same place as everyone else.

NSMike wrote:
AP Erebus wrote:

I am in a bit of a rut at the minute.

The last couple of weeks have been quite tough mentally. I've been catching up with a lot of my uni friends almost all of them are now in committed relationships and are purchasing houses and such.

Now I realise I'm not really in a bad position, being 26 with no appreciable debt and obligations, but it's been tough not thinking I'm being left behind.

Part of this is the recent (early Dec) demise of my last relationship and that's been quite frustrating and disheartening to come to terms with. The other major part is my housemates are getting married later this year so being exposed to all the excited wedding planning is wearing thin.

I know it'll get better, but it's just tough atm.

Don't measure your life using someone else's ruler. You're under no obligation to be in the same place as everyone else.

And just to speak from the other side of the coin, wedding planning is 90% stress (and expensive) and while marriage can be great remember that we are at times pining for the freedom you have to do what you want without having to work it out with a partner. Oh and if it helps I seriously envy your lack of debt.

This is clearly not a loathe, in fact quite the opposite, but I'm putting it here for context.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/uNB1WNY.png)

I'm so totally doing that right now =)

I don't care what they say about Belgians (probably something about waffles), that's really sound. Thanks.

Thanks also to NSMike for the awesome eCard. That really gave us a lift when we needed it.

This place really knows how to give back. Thanks peeps.

Dejanzie is, in fact, waffleicious. Also, he has excellent taste in music.

AP Erebus wrote:

I am in a bit of a rut at the minute.

The last couple of weeks have been quite tough mentally. I've been catching up with a lot of my uni friends almost all of them are now in committed relationships and are purchasing houses and such.

You know, at first I read that as "a lot of my uni friends...are purchasing horses". And I thought that would be the coolest damn thing ever. Then I re-read it and realized the mistake.

Moral of the story: Buy yourself a horse, man. Horses are cool

(Seriously, though...I second the notion that you shouldn't be comparing yourself to others. I mean, you don't have any debt or anything like that, so you're already ahead of the curve in that regard. Just think--those people that have houses are now in a mortgage and are pretty locked where they are at. You, on the other hand, have the ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want. A lot of your experience in life is just how you choose to look at it.)

[size=1]I'm telling you...buy a horse[/size]

Rallick wrote:

Dejanzie is, in fact, waffleicious. Also, he has excellent taste in music.

You know, I really am. And I really do. It's hard to stay modest, but somehow... I manage.

Spoiler:

;-)

edit: and sigged, of course.

Do what my wife does AP Erebus, friend them all on facebook, and then start making fun of how fat or bald they get, also mock their ugly children.

True story, she showed me one Mogwai that was fed after midnight, I said "that little boy looks fine"...it was a girl.

I never really kept in touch with many people in college or high school. I talk with precisely 1 person actually.

NSMike wrote:

Don't measure your life using someone else's ruler. You're under no obligation to be in the same place as everyone else.

I fall foul of this all the time and that's an excellent way to remember. Thanks =)

St.Hillary wrote:

Having my first ER visit. Luckily it wasn't too terrible, just an accident in the kitchen that ended with me getting very hot oil all over my hand. My left thumb, index finger, and middle finger are all very red and forming some pretty nasty blisters. They gave me something to reduce the swelling and pain, and a cream for the burn itself, and I have to go back to the doctor in a few days. At this exact moment, I'm doing alright. It really hurts if I bend my fingers too much, and it definitely feels overly warm, but it could be worse.
I'm afraid to see my fingers in the morning, I'm sure it will not be pretty.

Just heard about that from Kannon. Hope you feel better soon, and don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can do for you.

Best of luck with your healing. That sounds like the opposite of fun.

Having my car die on the way in to work.

This morning, I was down to a 15 miles range left on my tank of gas according to my car's readout, so I went to the gas station to fill up. I went to the same gas station right by our apartment that I always use, went to the diesel pump like usual (I have a diesel Jetta), and filled up. About... 12 miles on the way to work, after filling up, my check engine light comes on, the engine starts making kind of pingy noises, so I start to pull off onto a side road so I can stop and check it. When I get to the corner, the engine shuts down and won't turn over.

I get the car to the dealership with a tow truck, they go, "did you fill up with gas recently?" "Yes....?" "We've had reports of gas truck drivers mixing up diesel and gasoline at pumps."

F**K

They say if that's the problem, it's a $9000 fix, they basically replace/clean out everything that the gasoline touches. Let's just say someone needs to get sued, 'cause *I'm* not paying for that a**hole's mistake.

You absolutely should not pay for that.

I would burn a path up the ladder to the top of whatever chain owns that gas station. Someone is liable for that and it shouldn't be you.

Maq wrote:
NSMike wrote:

Don't measure your life using someone else's ruler. You're under no obligation to be in the same place as everyone else.

I fall foul of this all the time and that's an excellent way to remember. Thanks =)

This was the best thing I ever did for my own mental health.

Google. Stop advertising your services. I know what they are. I don't want to use them. Stop making wade through an advertisement pop-up.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I would burn a path up the ladder to the top of whatever chain owns that gas station. Someone is liable for that and it shouldn't be you.

Is that how it works or is it on the company that delivers the gas? Are they separate? I legitimately don't know.

SixteenBlue wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I would burn a path up the ladder to the top of whatever chain owns that gas station. Someone is liable for that and it shouldn't be you.

Is that how it works or is it on the company that delivers the gas? Are they separate? I legitimately don't know.

It'd probably be on the company that delivered it.

SixteenBlue wrote:

Is that how it works or is it on the company that delivers the gas? Are they separate? I legitimately don't know.

A little Googling makes me think it's the gas delivery company that gets sued, not the station.

I didn't get a paper receipt from the gas station, so I'm waiting to hear back from them just to be able to absolutely confirm I have a paper trail of using the right pump, but I'm sure I used the diesel pump.

Also waiting to hear back from Volkswagen that it is the actual problem, they're pretty busy today and haven't gotten to my car yet. But it sure seems likely based on the timing.

Gasoline in a Diesel engine is horrible. Your engine should be replaced.

I had a friend in high school that filled a diesel truck with gas (he was the attendant, back when they had full service stations around here), and the engine had to be replaced at the station's expense. Different situation here, but yeah. Crappy deal, man. In no way should this be your responsibility to repair.

RR, I've got a diesel Golf, and I always have the same worry.

A friend with a diesel Jetta has been filling up at a station that hasn't been getting winter-treated diesel, and he hasn't been throwing Power Service Winter into it like I've been suggesting. His half a tank gelled up when we had over-nights down below 0 last week

I've got my fingers crossed that it's not so bad, but after replacing the in-tank lifter pump and turbo in my Golf, I know that nothing is ever cheap

Update: VW guy confirmed it's gasoline in the tank.

I *know* I used the right pump, so I guess Exxon gets to shell out (hah!) $9k to fix/replace a bunch of stuff.

I paid by credit card and didn't get the printed receipt, so I'm waiting to hear back from the gas station when the CC stuff posts tonight before absolutely confirming and starting to make a stink, but stink I will.

The kicker is we're supposed to be driving to Florida (from NC) a bit under 2 weeks from now, so things better be fixed by then or they get to pay for my rental, too.

The pump will have CCTV footage. Get a solicitor to request it if need be.

1Dgaf wrote:

The pump will have CCTV footage. Get a solicitor to request it if need be.

That's "lawyer", in reg'lar-speak.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
1Dgaf wrote:

The pump will have CCTV footage. Get a solicitor to request it if need be.

That's "lawyer", in reg'lar-speak. ;)

Glad you didn't say "English" 'cause that would've been awkward.

Ranger Rick wrote:

Update: VW guy confirmed it's gasoline in the tank.

I *know* I used the right pump, so I guess Exxon gets to shell out (hah!) $9k to fix/replace a bunch of stuff.

The kicker is we're supposed to be driving to Florida (from NC) a bit under 2 weeks from now, so things better be fixed by then or they get to pay for my rental, too.

Shouldn't your insurance be able to cover this for now? Let them collect the money from the gas station. It's nothing you did wrong, so it shouldn't affect your rates.

Ranger Rick wrote:

Having my car die on the way in to work.

This morning, I was down to a 15 miles range left on my tank of gas according to my car's readout, so I went to the gas station to fill up. I went to the same gas station right by our apartment that I always use, went to the diesel pump like usual (I have a diesel Jetta), and filled up. About... 12 miles on the way to work, after filling up, my check engine light comes on, the engine starts making kind of pingy noises, so I start to pull off onto a side road so I can stop and check it. When I get to the corner, the engine shuts down and won't turn over.

I get the car to the dealership with a tow truck, they go, "did you fill up with gas recently?" "Yes....?" "We've had reports of gas truck drivers mixing up diesel and gasoline at pumps."

F**K

They say if that's the problem, it's a $9000 fix, they basically replace/clean out everything that the gasoline touches. Let's just say someone needs to get sued, 'cause *I'm* not paying for that a**hole's mistake.

Holy crap that sucks! And I must ask, WHICH STATION WAS THIS?!? I live nearish to you now and I don't wanna have the same problem. yikes.

Atras wrote:

Shouldn't your insurance be able to cover this for now? Let them collect the money from the gas station. It's nothing you did wrong, so it shouldn't affect your rates.

Yeah, that's worth looking into as well, haven't gotten there yet. I'm not being pushy about any of it until I can get the receipt info, but I've contacted the Attorney General's office for suggestions on how to proceed. I'm waiting for a callback from them.

Yellek wrote:

Holy crap that sucks! And I must ask, WHICH STATION WAS THIS?!? I live nearish to you now and I don't wanna have the same problem. yikes.

Kangaroo Express at Ten Ten and Kildaire Farm.

I'm worried I've developed bronchitis.

Well sh*t. Wife's case settled and she and her team were laid off today.