Random thing you loathe right now.

Norovirus. While also dealing with a strained stitch, post-op. While husband has a horrible sinus infection... all while on vacation. o.o;;;

A friend didn't know what the norovirus was. I called it 'a kind of gloriously foul catherine wheel'.

Taking inventory. Ugh.

Maq wrote:

Once more for the opinionated old biddies who think that a father taking his son out on his own is an open invitation to heap judgement on him as a parent.

Today's entry: the stupid old which who insisted I wasn't keeping my son warm enough (I'd just felt his face and hands and he was wearing snow-proof gear in 8 degrees C weather) and that I shouldn't let him play with my mobile phone because it would make him stupid. Bonus marks for muttering under her breath about the mobile phone thing for half a f*cking hour until I got off the bus. 4 stops early.

In spades. God I hate that. I still get sh*t, and they're grown. I'm not much better at dealing with this stuff than I was when it had to do with how many blankets were over them.

Latest fun was a former neighbor I ran into when I walked down at the mail box with the kids the day before yesterday who made some backhanded quasi-racist comments about my elder daughter's boyfriend. He's very tall, and she made some idiotic comments about how if he was black he'd be a great basketball player. She also felt free to point out to me that my daughter's skirt was "very revealing". It was ankle-length denim and neither she nor my daughter are Muslim so I have no idea where the heck that came from other than my daughter has lost a lot of weight since she started her job and is looking too good no matter what she wears for my peace of mind. They're going to be engaged by sometime tomorrow. I can't wait for the comments on that. :eyeroll:

Then there was the relative who gave me crap over Christmas about my elder son looking at going into facilities management as a career because she's decided it doesn't have a future and why don't I tell him to get a business degree. He's 25 for crying out loud and about to be married. Other than telling him to shave if he shows up at my house with the half a 5 o'clock shadow he can grow I'm kind of out of the loop on those decisions. And I personally think it's an awesome idea - people aren't going to run out of the need for places to live and getting into the business of caring for them is a solid start IMHO. I know several people who make solid 6 figures doing that.

momgamer wrote:

Then there was the relative who gave me crap over Christmas about my elder son looking at going into facilities management as a career because she's decided it doesn't have a future and why don't I tell him to get a business degree.

Oh god, my mom did the same thing, even when I was probably making close to what she did in management, as a senior programmer. *sigh*

1Dgaf wrote:

A friend didn't know what the norovirus was. I called it 'a kind of gloriously foul catherine wheel'.

That's a perfectly twisted and succinct description. o.o

Eleima wrote:
Maq wrote:

Once more for the opinionated old biddies who think that a father taking his son out on his own is an open invitation to heap judgement on him as a parent.
Today's entry: the stupid old which who insisted I wasn't keeping my son warm enough (I'd just felt his face and hands and he was wearing snow-proof gear in 8 degrees C weather) and that I shouldn't let him play with my mobile phone because it would make him stupid. Bonus marks for muttering under her breath about the mobile phone thing for half a f*cking hour until I got off the bus. 4 stops early.

Oh gosh, I feel for you, I really, really do... It's like the minute you become a parent, everyone has an opinion on how you're doing things wrong, and how this is the way you should be rearing your child. I could write a book on the subject, and my son's only 13 months old...

Well, look, if you'd just do it right...

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Eleima wrote:
Maq wrote:

Once more for the opinionated old biddies who think that a father taking his son out on his own is an open invitation to heap judgement on him as a parent.
Today's entry: the stupid old which who insisted I wasn't keeping my son warm enough (I'd just felt his face and hands and he was wearing snow-proof gear in 8 degrees C weather) and that I shouldn't let him play with my mobile phone because it would make him stupid. Bonus marks for muttering under her breath about the mobile phone thing for half a f*cking hour until I got off the bus. 4 stops early.

Oh gosh, I feel for you, I really, really do... It's like the minute you become a parent, everyone has an opinion on how you're doing things wrong, and how this is the way you should be rearing your child. I could write a book on the subject, and my son's only 13 months old...

Well, look, if you'd just do it right... ;)

If I dressing my daughter the way my mother-in-law wanted she would have heat rash all the time... it is hard to block out what other people think is right.

On a side note I am loathing the fact that I have spent 20 minutes searching for my wii mote so I can watch netflix. My wife let my 9 month old crawl off with it and now she is frantically looking for the remote before my daughter wakes up for her 2 hour check-in. We have 10 minutes left on a movie to watch.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Eleima wrote:

Oh gosh, I feel for you, I really, really do... It's like the minute you become a parent, everyone has an opinion on how you're doing things wrong, and how this is the way you should be rearing your child. I could write a book on the subject, and my son's only 13 months old...

Well, look, if you'd just do it right... ;)

Hehe, touché. Mostly, at this point, it's usually very rude comments on how I'm still breastfeeding, or how I'm not letting him cry it out, or how I should be cutting his hair or this or that. Whatever you do, there's always something... At this point, I'm just thinking that I'm going to raise him my way, the best I can, end of story.

On a side note, I loathe the fact that he's teething, and that there seems to be little I can do to help him...

Eleima wrote:

Mostly, at this point, it's usually very rude comments on how I'm still breastfeeding...

Well, in fairness, it does get a little creepy once they're teenagers.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
MacBrave wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I found out that there is this ridiculous air intake thing that goes right over the battery. Removing it involves taking off a bunch of torx screws, all of which are so badly corroded that they start to round as soon as I turn the screwdriver.

Yeah, that sucks. On my son's old Chevy Lumina you had to take off a front tire to replace the battery. WTH are these engineers thinking?

I used to have a 1998 Lumina that was dead easy to do the battery on but I remember the different model that required hat. A friend of mine who's a mechanic says that every engineer who designs cars should be required to perform all types of regular maintenance on an assembled prototype before green lighting it for production. And if they don't find anything wrong, a random mechanic should be brought in and asked to do the same. I'm more convinced when I see stuff like this that the cars are being designed to try to force you to go to a dealer for overpriced service wherever possible. The tire pressure system on this car definitely is. I'd say this is probably the last Mitsubishi I buy but I've learned that every brand has their own stupid issues.

Front tire what?! Yellek used to have a Lumina van and I thought it was bad enough we had to take out the... having trouble remember if it was the air filter or something else.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Front tire what?! Yellek used to have a Lumina van and I thought it was bad enough we had to take out the... having trouble remember if it was the air filter or something else.

I remember that too! I used to work with a guy who drove a Lumina van and it took 3 of us an afternoon to change whatever that is. I think you're right that it was the air filter. GM definitely had an "on crack" design period but yeah, more and more I'm convinced a lot of this is done on purpose. No one will ever convince me that the TPMS system in my Lancer that requires either a dealer or a $30,000 piece of equipment to reset every time you change the tires (which I do twice a year because of winter) wasn't purposefully designed to make me go to a dealer twice a year for $100 a pop. I don't do it when I put my winters on but now every time I start the car, a bright orange dash light comes on, blinks for 2 minutes then stays solid the whole time the car's running. In addition to the massive "SERVICE" warning that appears on the LCD status display and requires you to hold down a button for 3 seconds to make it vanish. And that resets itself to on every time you so much as open a door. Total scam.

Illnesses on vacation. It's my first vacation away from home in nearly three years and I'm sitting in the hotel room online. =\

At least the view is nice.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/ogQFu.jpg)

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

No one will ever convince me that the TPMS system in my Lancer that requires either a dealer or a $30,000 piece of equipment to reset every time you change the tires (which I do twice a year because of winter) wasn't purposefully designed to make me go to a dealer twice a year for $100 a pop.

That's insane. My Mini Roadster has TPMS and the warning light has come on a couple of times after it has become really cold and reduced the pressure inside the tires. It takes a few presses of a control button on the steering wheel to recalibrate the system and reset all of the warnings. There's absolutely no reason that every TPMS warning can't be reset in this manner.

Parallax, let me join you in your hatred of car repairs. I just got the estimate back from the shop. $800 for a new transmission solenoid and the work it takes to get the thing replaced. The part I loathe the most is that I was actually happy about this, because I was afraid it was going to be a full replacement at $2300. But that makes my budget a bit interesting the next couple months, that's for sure.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Front tire what?! Yellek used to have a Lumina van and I thought it was bad enough we had to take out the... having trouble remember if it was the air filter or something else.

Yeah, it was either a 1990 or '92 Lumina, can't remember which.

And keeping on the topic of absurdly expensive auto repairs we recently had to have the catalytic converter replaced in our '05 Dodge minivan. Dealer price was over $1200. Took it to a locally owned Midas shop and they wanted less than half that.

It still really put a crimp in our Christmas budget though.

Sorry to hear about your car troubles guys, all these car-related loathes make me never want to own a car.

I've been working with a client who is working with one of the big auto brands, and they mentioned during an interview that the dealers have a lot of power over the car manufacturers as they will raise a ruckus if the manufacturer does anything that reduces the amount of time the dealership gets to spend with the customer, since the real money is in selling maintenance and repair work. Wouldn't be surprised if that extended awful design choices as well...

So, this is a thing. I just watched about half an episode, because the name "Amish Mafia" intrigued me. I think I damaged my brain.

Rob_Anybody wrote:

So, this is a thing. I just watched about half an episode, because the name "Amish Mafia" intrigued me. I think I damaged my brain.

I haven't seen the show (and it won't be happening. Ever. ), but this line from the site bugs me: He (Lebanon Levi) exists above the law and occupies the role of police, judge and jury.

That's kinda messed up. It sounds like they're more akin to vigilantes than "mafia", but whatever - it's dumb, it's irresponsible, it's probably illegal, and it's another reason I'm done with the Discovery Channel (except The Universe, I love that sh*t).

And don't even get me started on the f*cking "Learning" Channel.

Whatever Jon Bon Jovi did to his teeth makes him sound like he has a harelip.

Back to reality tomorrow. F*ck.

NSMike wrote:

Back to reality tomorrow. F*ck.

I hear ya.

Me three....

Also, taking down the decorations

Fourthed.

Also, threw a New Years party. Two guests got here at 6pm on the 31st, left at 11pm on the 1st...

McIrishJihad wrote:

Fourthed.

Also, threw a New Years party. Two guests got here at 6pm on the 31st, left at 11pm on the 1st...

In-laws?

McIrishJihad wrote:

Fourthed.

Also, threw a New Years party. Two guests got here at 6pm on the 31st, left at 11pm on the 1st...

That happened to us once. They had sex with each other after the party which made for an awkward morning...and a damp couch.

clover wrote:

In-laws?

Nope, worse. College students. Even took them to Denny's (for dinner) hoping they'd get the hint.

Nevin73 wrote:

That happened to us once. They had sex with each other after the party which made for an awkward morning...and a damp couch.

Thankfully, it was two guys and they're not into each other that way. They got to share the living room with our roommate, after he threw up on his bed... which is its own long story...

I'm never going to live in reality. I went from a 9-5 job that went 9 to 11 p.m. mostly, to several blissful months of unemployment to a job with no office and where I tweet the news. I love my crazy life.

Finally getting caught by the cold/flu/bronchitis/whatever that I've been fighting off for the last two months. Most of the family succumbed over the last few weeks and are all better now, and I'm just hitting the downward spiral. At least I fought it off until after Disney/Thanksgiving/Shareholder's Meeting/Christmas/Year End/New Year's.

Teneman wrote:

Finally getting caught by the cold/flu/bronchitis/whatever that I've been fighting off for the last two months. Most of the family succumbed over the last few weeks and are all better now, and I'm just hitting the downward spiral. At least I fought it off until after Disney/Thanksgiving/Shareholder's Meeting/Christmas/Year End/New Year's.

Whatever variation that was going on around here in St. Louis made it through our house. If it was the flu, and from my ridiculously high temps, I guess it was, it was mild and short. If it was a cold, it was a motherf*cker that kept me in bed for two days. Somehow my wife avoided it. We went through it the week leading up to Christmas, and my wife took to sleeping on the couch.

For what it's worth, Advil Cold and Sinus felt like a miracle drug. It seemed to keep the fever in check, and eased a lot of the pain I felt in my chest when I coughed. My lungs were so raw it felt like a knife was gashing me. By the third day, the AC&S let me take the wife out Christmas shopping, even if I was mostly just a chauffer.