Random thing you loathe right now.

Coulda been worse. They could've gone with the Filipino definition of Christmas, which starts sometime in September and ends a week after New Year's.

f*ck insomnia. I want to go to sleep.

mudbunny wrote:

That I had to buy my own Christmas gifts this year due to the following two separate conversations:

Early December
Me - Do you want a list of things/suggestions for me for Christmas?
Wife - No, I will look around and get you something.
Me - Are you sure?
Wife - Yes.

Christmas morning
Oldest Daughter - Daddy...Where are your presents.
Wife - Santa Clause forgot daddy's presents.

Later on, when kids are busy
Wife - I couldn't think of anything, so just go buy yourself some stuff tomorrow. Here"s some money.

In the future I recommend maintaining something like an Amazon wishlist to point your wife to.

Alternatively, it just means you need to make louder noises about which hardware or software you really, really want at the moment. The iPad Mini or the Nexus 7 are both all kinds of hotness. Wouldn't object to either gift from the wifey. Got something better, of course.

I hated it when my past girlfriends expected me to read their minds instead of telling me straight up what's what. I won't do the same thing to my wife. It's a good policy, IMX.

Ghostship wrote:

With in laws I get to sit around and talk about how someone I've never met is having a baby, or vacationing somewhere ill never be able to afford.

I can relate. Although in my case, we get to hear about all the illnesses of her various neighbors we've never met. This is as especially wonderful as you might expect when your own mother is in the hospital.

mudbunny wrote:

That I had to buy my own Christmas gifts this year

Ugh, that's never fun. I always end up doing most of the stocking stuffers, including my own, and it's just not nearly as much fun to buy and wrap your own stocking stuffers.

Today's loathe -- waiting for test results from the hospital. Mom got moved to a different hospital yesterday, and today they are finally going to do an angioscopy. And I can't go and wait with Dad because I'm still getting over a cold.

McIrishJihad wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

That I had to buy my own Christmas gifts this year due to the following two separate conversations:

Early December
Me - Do you want a list of things/suggestions for me for Christmas?
Wife - No, I will look around and get you something.
Me - Are you sure?
Wife - Yes.

Christmas morning
Oldest Daughter - Daddy...Where are your presents.
Wife - Santa Clause forgot daddy's presents.

Later on, when kids are busy
Wife - I couldn't think of anything, so just go buy yourself some stuff tomorrow. Here"s some money.

I'd almost rather have this happen than the Cash & Gift Card Roulette that my extended family has been having for the last few years :/

It could have been worse. She could have gone out on a limb and gotten you something she thought you'd love that you really didn't care for. Cash/gift cards just postpone the Christmas goodies till Dec 26. You can spend the 25th browsing for what you want to buy while you eat ham and sip on some wine.

There's a new guy on the Data team that sits near me that always talks and mutters to himself. He also will groan and sigh every 5 minutes. Really effing annoying when I'm the only one besides him here.

My girlfriend and I did our individual budgets for next month (we split the bills but otherwise each maintain our own spending money) and I discovered that thanks to my stupid car, an ad campaign for my side business that completely flopped and this lovely commercial holiday we just had, I'm basically not going to have a cent to spend on anything (including a live streaming/YouTube project I wanted to start) until probably after my birthday in March at least. On top of that, I missed a shrink appointment yesterday because my calendar didn't sync to my phone properly so that's another $100 I have to come up with because my benefits won't cover no shows. And then today, the puppy was being extremely bad and chasing the cats around the house and managed to yank my primary monitor off my desk while it was on. It flittered a couple of times but appears to be OK now. I really hope so, I can't afford a new one for months. I'm supposed to do some volunteering for Operation Red Nose tonight and am trying me damndest to resist telling them I can't make it.

When I'm going to do some volunteering no less, karma still won't cut me a damn break. Went to start my car to head to Operation Red Nose and the battery won't turn the starter. When I recently spent $800 on what was supposed to be $200 of repairs, the mechanic warned me that the battery was getting tired (it's apparently the original) but that if I couldn't afford to replace it then (I couldn't), it should last the winter, it just might have a bit of a tougher time on super cold days. It's not super cold today, just cold and it won't turn over. That's a minimum of another $200 I don't bloody have that I now have to find without delay. I actually know how to install a car battery myself but the only place in Ottawa I can buy one over the counter on the weekend is Canadian Tire who only sells their own in-house brand which has nothing but 1 star user reviews from the start of 2012 until now.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

When I'm going to do some volunteering no less, karma still won't cut me a damn break. Went to start my car to head to Operation Red Nose and the battery won't turn the starter. When I recently spent $800 on what was supposed to be $200 of repairs, the mechanic warned me that the battery was getting tired (it's apparently the original) but that if I couldn't afford to replace it then (I couldn't), it should last the winter, it just might have a bit of a tougher time on super cold days. It's not super cold today, just cold and it won't turn over. That's a minimum of another $200 I don't bloody have that I now have to find without delay. I actually know how to install a car battery myself but the only place in Ottawa I can buy one over the counter on the weekend is Canadian Tire who only sells their own in-house brand which has nothing but 1 star user reviews from the start of 2012 until now.

Dude, I came online to complain about my fridge that decided to temporarily die and made me spend all night fixing it, but it pales in comparison to what you are going through. Best of luck.

Edwin wrote:

f*ck insomnia. I want to go to sleep.

This is not a regular problem for me, but it has been the last couple nights. Just... nothing. I've been to bed twice tonight and gotten not one minute of sleep. Start to feel tired, hit the bed. Don't feel tired anymore. Wait a while, stare at the ceiling. Roll over. Stare at the wall. Cover my eyes with blankets. Wait. Give up, roll over, stare at the clock.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

I have to leave for work in 2 hours.

Furnace isn't working today. Pretty cold upstairs.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I actually know how to install a car battery myself but the only place in Ottawa I can buy one over the counter on the weekend is Canadian Tire who only sells their own in-house brand which has nothing but 1 star user reviews from the start of 2012 until now.

Man, really? That sucks. Here you can get a battery anywhere, from Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, etc.

I got sympathy over the suckage and the car troubles. It's really awful how you can't get the battery when you're paying so much for it. The local brand is under $200, and you can have it delivered and installed anywhere in the metro.

Taking down Christmas decorations.

MacBrave wrote:

Taking down Christmas decorations.

Technically yinzer humor, but it's still somewhat universal.

Bonnonon wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

When I'm going to do some volunteering no less, karma still won't cut me a damn break. Went to start my car to head to Operation Red Nose and the battery won't turn the starter. When I recently spent $800 on what was supposed to be $200 of repairs, the mechanic warned me that the battery was getting tired (it's apparently the original) but that if I couldn't afford to replace it then (I couldn't), it should last the winter, it just might have a bit of a tougher time on super cold days. It's not super cold today, just cold and it won't turn over. That's a minimum of another $200 I don't bloody have that I now have to find without delay. I actually know how to install a car battery myself but the only place in Ottawa I can buy one over the counter on the weekend is Canadian Tire who only sells their own in-house brand which has nothing but 1 star user reviews from the start of 2012 until now.

Dude, I came online to complain about my fridge that decided to temporarily die and made me spend all night fixing it, but it pales in comparison to what you are going through. Best of luck.

Naw, honestly your fridge being down and potentially spoiling food is way worse than my car not starting for a volunteer gig. At least we still have my girlfriend's car to get around but it's older and small so we both prefer I not use it for Operation Red Nose. The good news is that being the awesome friend he is, Stylez is going to help me out. He has a Costco membership and after some digging, we found out that the Kirkland Signature batteries (made by Johnson Controls) are considered very good quality for an in-house brand, soundly trouncing the Canadian Tire MotoMaster one I was going to have to get. He's going to check the price for me and if it's comparable, he'll go over with me and we'll buy one using his membership. Plus Costco hot dogs! Still didn't want to have to spend the money right now but at least I know I'm getting something I can be confident in. I'll just have to implement some personal financial austerity measures for a couple of months and assuming nothing else expensive breaks, things will right themselves soon. I had to skip one of my Red Nose nights because I was sick and last night because of the car. So help me, I'm doing the third night tonight!

RE Pittsburgh Dad
Damn. As the son of an Autoworker, that's a shocking look in the mirror. I hope it's hyperbolic.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

sucky luck during the holidays sucks

As an upside, F'n good on ya for doing a budget! You're ahead of most for just doing it. Stick to it, and you'll be better off long term. It's all about the long view. The further you look down the road, the better off you'll be; eventually. Your motto has to be "soon".

That and take on the Maker hobby lifestyle. Hobby budget goes down if you do it right. I have a tinkerer's mind though.

Ghostship wrote:

As an upside, F'n good on ya for doing a budget! You're ahead of most for just doing it. Stick to it, and you'll be better off long term. It's all about the long view. The further you look down the road, the better off you'll be; eventually. Your motto has to be "soon".

My girlfriend's going to be a Chartered Accountant in 9 months so budgeting's in her blood. I've never been awful with money but it's been very valuable to learn more of that skill from her though. If I can get the bloody debt from my old failed business paid off (still at least 3 years away without a sudden boon), situations like this month wouldn't be much of a problem at all. I'm supposed to be getting a title bump and hopefully a decent raise this year as my position at work is going to be evolving to include the duties of managing an additional support-focused IT person. I've no idea when said raise will come or how much it will be but I'm hoping it will take some more pressure off.

Just picked up my new glasses less than 2 hours ago and I just noticed that both of the lens have a ton of very fine scratches all over them. The place closed at 2 and won't be open again until the 2nd and if I want to take them back then I will have to get off work early.

So TIL that Mitsubishi is the Japanese version of Volkswagon in that they have to do everything just different enough to be a roaring pain in the arse, even though it provides no real benefit to anyone. Couldn't get a battery at Costco because they don't carry the mutant size my car needs (though we still got sweet, sweet Costco hot dogs for lunch.) I did manage to find one at Wal-Mart that was decently rated (of course I had to shop at Wal-Mart but desperate times and all that) but when I got home, I found out that there is this ridiculous air intake thing that goes right over the battery. Removing it involves taking off a bunch of torx screws, all of which are so badly corroded that they start to round as soon as I turn the screwdriver. My girlfriend's Dad has offered to help but he can't come over until tomorrow. So of the 3 nights I committed to Operation Red Nose, I've had to miss them all, either because of illness or because of this stupid car. Red Nose will do just fine without me but I still feel guilty for not being able to hold up my commitment. Not at all happy with Mitsubishi right now.

Radical Ans wrote:
MacBrave wrote:

Taking down Christmas decorations.

Technically yinzer humor, but it's still somewhat universal.

Heh heh. It was snowing today as I was outside taking down the Christmas decorations. I feel his pain.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

So TIL that Mitsubishi is the Japanese version of Volkswagon in that they have to do everything just different enough to be a roaring pain in the arse, even though it provides no real benefit to anyone. Couldn't get a battery at Costco because they don't carry the mutant size my car needs (though we still got sweet, sweet Costco hot dogs for lunch.) I did manage to find one at Wal-Mart that was decently rated (of course I had to shop at Wal-Mart but desperate times and all that) but when I got home, I found out that there is this ridiculous air intake thing that goes right over the battery. Removing it involves taking off a bunch of torx screws, all of which are so badly corroded that they start to round as soon as I turn the screwdriver.

Yeah, that sucks. On my son's old Chevy Lumina you had to take off a front tire to replace the battery. WTH are these engineers thinking?

MacBrave wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

So TIL that Mitsubishi is the Japanese version of Volkswagon in that they have to do everything just different enough to be a roaring pain in the arse, even though it provides no real benefit to anyone. Couldn't get a battery at Costco because they don't carry the mutant size my car needs (though we still got sweet, sweet Costco hot dogs for lunch.) I did manage to find one at Wal-Mart that was decently rated (of course I had to shop at Wal-Mart but desperate times and all that) but when I got home, I found out that there is this ridiculous air intake thing that goes right over the battery. Removing it involves taking off a bunch of torx screws, all of which are so badly corroded that they start to round as soon as I turn the screwdriver.

Yeah, that sucks. On my son's old Chevy Lumina you had to take off a front tire to replace the battery. WTH are these engineers thinking?

I used to have a 1998 Lumina that was dead easy to do the battery on but I remember the different model that required hat. A friend of mine who's a mechanic says that every engineer who designs cars should be required to perform all types of regular maintenance on an assembled prototype before green lighting it for production. And if they don't find anything wrong, a random mechanic should be brought in and asked to do the same. I'm more convinced when I see stuff like this that the cars are being designed to try to force you to go to a dealer for overpriced service wherever possible. The tire pressure system on this car definitely is. I'd say this is probably the last Mitsubishi I buy but I've learned that every brand has their own stupid issues.

Rykin wrote:

Just picked up my new glasses less than 2 hours ago and I just noticed that both of the lens have a ton of very fine scratches all over them. The place closed at 2 and won't be open again until the 2nd and if I want to take them back then I will have to get off work early.

Photograph them carefully and email the pics to yourself and the store tonight... That way you have a pixel trail if they try to argue that you cleaned them improperly or something in the intervening days.

MassDOT's Snow Removal Policy.

Just got back from the inlaw's up near Portland, ME, and once again, Massachusetts has the worst snow removal of the three states I had to drive across.

100 miles @ 35mph = nearly 4.5 hours to get home.

The 30 miles I had to cross in MA was a frozen-slush base getting topped with gently packing snow. Because, in MA,you salt roads before it starts to snow, and then never plow them.

Anyway, home safe. But tired, hungry, and cranky.

Sorry to hear about the continuing car troubles PxA. FWIW, when my battery went last year, I also sucked it up and went with Wal-Mart. My thought process was that even if its a crappy battery, and dies again within their warranty, its always more likely to be that a Wal-Mart is nearby than any other place that sells car batteries.

I do have a VW, but the only craziness I get to deal with is moving some kind of auxiliary fuse box that sits on top of the battery box. And needing tiny leprechaun hands to loosen a screw.

McIrishJihad wrote:

Sorry to hear about the continuing car troubles PxA. FWIW, when my battery went last year, I also sucked it up and went with Wal-Mart. My thought process was that even if its a crappy battery, and dies again within their warranty, its always more likely to be that a Wal-Mart is nearby than any other place that sells car batteries.

That was my thought in getting my tires replaced a few years ago, just before a cross-country move. Wasn't sure what tire places would be around, but there's Walmart everywhere.

soonerjudd wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

Sorry to hear about the continuing car troubles PxA. FWIW, when my battery went last year, I also sucked it up and went with Wal-Mart. My thought process was that even if its a crappy battery, and dies again within their warranty, its always more likely to be that a Wal-Mart is nearby than any other place that sells car batteries.

That was my thought in getting my tires replaced a few years ago, just before a cross-country move. Wasn't sure what tire places would be around, but there's Walmart everywhere.

For tires, I go with Sears

Just about every mall has one with an auto center, whereas Wal-Marts with Tire Centers are a little further apart.

Once more for the opinionated old biddies who think that a father taking his son out on his own is an open invitation to heap judgement on him as a parent.

Today's entry: the stupid old which who insisted I wasn't keeping my son warm enough (I'd just felt his face and hands and he was wearing snow-proof gear in 8 degrees C weather) and that I shouldn't let him play with my mobile phone because it would make him stupid. Bonus marks for muttering under her breath about the mobile phone thing for half a f*cking hour until I got off the bus. 4 stops early.

Maq wrote:

Once more for the opinionated old biddies who think that a father taking his son out on his own is an open invitation to heap judgement on him as a parent.
Today's entry: the stupid old which who insisted I wasn't keeping my son warm enough (I'd just felt his face and hands and he was wearing snow-proof gear in 8 degrees C weather) and that I shouldn't let him play with my mobile phone because it would make him stupid. Bonus marks for muttering under her breath about the mobile phone thing for half a f*cking hour until I got off the bus. 4 stops early.

Oh gosh, I feel for you, I really, really do... It's like the minute you become a parent, everyone has an opinion on how you're doing things wrong, and how this is the way you should be rearing your child. I could write a book on the subject, and my son's only 13 months old...