Random thing you loathe right now.

I just got back from the doctor's office and... bursitis.

/sigh

'Tis the season to always have something on your feet so your socks don't get wet after coming in from outside.

Phoenix Rev wrote:

I just got back from the doctor's office and... bursitis.

/sigh

Ouch. I just wiki'ed it and man that looks uncomfortable.

Before I go to bed, either my stupid f*cking neighbor better come home or her stupid f*cking dog better die from exhaustion from barking all f*cking day.

Kids are off school, we've got some snow so maybe I can take them skiing... and I'm coming down with a cold and will be grumpy for the next four days. (I should probably be in bed.)

... and now mom-in-law's flight got cancelled, and she's stranded at DCA.

Doing a factory reset of an HP Vista laptop. I wanted to wipe it clean and fix it up, since I'll be passing it down to one of my relatives. Luckily for me, I have plenty of time to get everything working.

I started yesterday and I expected to be finished this morning. A couple of Service Pack 1 problems later, it's 6pm and I'm not done. I still need to install SP2, MSE, Chrome, VLC, and remove bloatware.

Deadmonkeys wrote:

Doing a factory reset of an HP Vista laptop. I wanted to wipe it clean and fix it up, since I'll be passing it down to one of my relatives. Luckily for me, I have plenty of time to get everything working.

I started yesterday and I expected to be finished this morning. A couple of Service Pack 1 problems later, it's 6pm and I'm not done. I still need to install SP2, MSE, Chrome, VLC, and remove bloatware.

Get a Windows 8 Upgrade and breathe some new life into the machine. I did the same for my girlfriend's 3 year old laptop. Boot time went from 6-7 minutes to 30 seconds.

I installed my vanilla Windows 7 first though, to avoid the bloatware and slow-ass Vista install.

That said: you have my sympathies for having to go through all that. These factory reset re-installs are a true PITA.

I like HP's corporate products but their Pavilion consumer line are a plague. I was working for Geek Squad when Vista launch and literally all they did was change the image they put on all their XP hardware. They didn't even increase the amount of RAM the systems had and in some cases, we were selling bundle packages with HP printers that didn't get Vista drivers for 6 months after it shipped. Even though the bundles included those specific printer models and advertised the systems as running Vista.

But yeah, what dejanzie said. Windows 8 is so much faster than Vista or 7, it's kind of amazing. If you don't want the Metro UI (and I don't blame you), just get a utility to make desktop mode the default and you're golden.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I like HP's corporate products but their Pavilion consumer line are a plague. I was working for Geek Squad when Vista launch and literally all they did was change the image they put on all their XP hardware. They didn't even increase the amount of RAM the systems had and in some cases, we were selling bundle packages with HP printers that didn't get Vista drivers for 6 months after it shipped. Even though the bundles included those specific printer models and advertised the systems as running Vista.

But yeah, what dejanzie said. Windows 8 is so much faster than Vista or 7, it's kind of amazing. If you don't want the Metro UI (and I don't blame you), just get a utility to make desktop mode the default and you're golden.

IMAGE(http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/Strangeblades/Gerry_zps301e9ed5-1_zps4eaa8362.jpg)

You better listen to this guy. He means business.

That my wife is now sick right before Christmas. And I'm thinking that I will be next.

Nevin73 wrote:

That my wife is now sick right before Christmas. And I'm thinking that I will be next.

Man, we are dealing with that too. Except we are both sick, and the kids aren't - so there is no sleeping in allowed.

Strangeblades wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I like HP's corporate products but their Pavilion consumer line are a plague. I was working for Geek Squad when Vista launch and literally all they did was change the image they put on all their XP hardware. They didn't even increase the amount of RAM the systems had and in some cases, we were selling bundle packages with HP printers that didn't get Vista drivers for 6 months after it shipped. Even though the bundles included those specific printer models and advertised the systems as running Vista.

But yeah, what dejanzie said. Windows 8 is so much faster than Vista or 7, it's kind of amazing. If you don't want the Metro UI (and I don't blame you), just get a utility to make desktop mode the default and you're golden.

IMAGE(http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/Strangeblades/Gerry_zps301e9ed5-1_zps4eaa8362.jpg)

You better listen to this guy. He means business.

Am I dead yet?

It wouldn't be christmas without us taking one of my daughters to a walk-in clinic. This year, it is my youngest, who is coughing so bad she is throwing up.

I was trying to plan an event with friends, but no one pitches in any ideas. Hopefully they won't complain when I finalize the event.

mudbunny wrote:

It wouldn't be christmas without us taking one of my daughters to a walk-in clinic. This year, it is my youngest, who is coughing so bad she is throwing up.

Aaaaaannnnd Survey Says:

Lung Infection!

I like to imagine HP was started by HP Lovecraft and since his death it has morphed into a crazed Cthuloid worshiping cult that amasses its power by overcharging the public for ink.

Radical Ans wrote:

I like to imagine HP was started by HP Lovecraft and since his death it has morphed into a crazed Cthuloid worshiping cult that amasses its power by overcharging the public for ink.

What sort of creatures produce ink?

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I like HP's corporate products but their Pavilion consumer line are a plague. I was working for Geek Squad when Vista launch and literally all they did was change the image they put on all their XP hardware. They didn't even increase the amount of RAM the systems had and in some cases, we were selling bundle packages with HP printers that didn't get Vista drivers for 6 months after it shipped. Even though the bundles included those specific printer models and advertised the systems as running Vista.

But yeah, what dejanzie said. Windows 8 is so much faster than Vista or 7, it's kind of amazing. If you don't want the Metro UI (and I don't blame you), just get a utility to make desktop mode the default and you're golden.

IMAGE(http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/Strangeblades/Gerry_zps301e9ed5-1_zps4eaa8362.jpg)

You better listen to this guy. He means business.

Am I dead yet?

Nope.

Canada Post.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
Radical Ans wrote:

I like to imagine HP was started by HP Lovecraft and since his death it has morphed into a crazed Cthuloid worshiping cult that amasses its power by overcharging the public for ink.

What sort of creatures produce ink?

They cannot be named.

SallyNasty wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

That my wife is now sick right before Christmas. And I'm thinking that I will be next.

Man, we are dealing with that too. Except we are both sick, and the kids aren't - so there is no sleeping in allowed.

My wife just called from work; she feels like she's coming down with something, too. And at 34 weeks pregnant, it's not exactly the best timing. Worst of all, I think i may have given it to her; I had an active cold for like a day and a half last week. At least she has the next few days off to rest!

Parents giving me a guilt trip because I didn't want to go to church with them....

The person I need to talk to get my son's birthday off is out and I have to work that day. Fu--.

The "music" kids listen to these days. God, I feel old.

My grandparents, in their 80s and married for 60 years, separated in October.

Tonight was the first time for as long as my dad has been around where we didn't have a Christmas Eve get together with the whole family at my grandparent's place.

From what I hear, my grandfather has never been this happy in his life. And it's nice seeing my grandmother get off her butt and start working towards not needing a walker to get around.

TekDragon wrote:

The "music" kids listen to these days. God, I feel old.

I don't hate it because it's new. I love new music. But if I here some wub-wub crap one more time I'm gonna beat-beat dem no good kids.

Strangeblades wrote:
TekDragon wrote:

The "music" kids listen to these days. God, I feel old.

I don't hate it because it's new. I love new music. But if I here some wub-wub crap one more time I'm gonna beat-beat dem no good kids.

I'll take wub-wub over auto-tune any day of the week. Auto-tuning kills my faith in humanity.

mudbunny wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

It wouldn't be christmas without us taking one of my daughters to a walk-in clinic. This year, it is my youngest, who is coughing so bad she is throwing up.

Aaaaaannnnd Survey Says:

Lung Infection!

That sucks... hope she feels better soon and that your Christmas is good despite it.

Nicholaas wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
TekDragon wrote:

The "music" kids listen to these days. God, I feel old.

I don't hate it because it's new. I love new music. But if I here some wub-wub crap one more time I'm gonna beat-beat dem no good kids.

I'll take wub-wub over auto-tune any day of the week. Auto-tuning kills my faith in humanity.