Random thing you loathe right now.

Mystic Violet wrote:

The Internet. It's starting to get to me. I'm seeing sarcasm everywhere. I can't understand what people are trying to say. I think... I think I'm changing. :shock:

I'm with you. I used to enjoy it a lot more than I do now, but I am also an addict who ends up using it at work and home.

FatConan wrote:
NathanialG wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Sat: Roomate hits head around 2am, complains about a/c setting. He's had it at 5C(41F), which is freaking ridiculous in my opinion, and I've been bumping it to 20C(68F), which is completely reasonable. He does not agree, and blows up, yelling and swearing at me. I reiterate my point that 5C is friggin ridiculous, but he bumps it back down and storms off. This kicks off a week of uneasy silence and random douchery on his part, such as stowing the converter strip in the room away somewhere in his stuff during the days when he's not here. $3.50 fixes that, but irritating nonetheless.

That sucks. While 68 might be a bit high for some people 41 seems utterly insane. Can you get a new roommate?

5°C is marginally warmer than my fridge. Is your roomie a pasty, lumpy, scarf-wearing, coal-for-eyes, kind of guy?

It's like someone in a science fiction movie. He's probably got a space alien gestating in his colon right now.

Tanglebones wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
FatConan wrote:
NathanialG wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:

Sat: Roomate hits head around 2am, complains about a/c setting. He's had it at 5C(41F), which is freaking ridiculous in my opinion, and I've been bumping it to 20C(68F), which is completely reasonable. He does not agree, and blows up, yelling and swearing at me. I reiterate my point that 5C is friggin ridiculous, but he bumps it back down and storms off. This kicks off a week of uneasy silence and random douchery on his part, such as stowing the converter strip in the room away somewhere in his stuff during the days when he's not here. $3.50 fixes that, but irritating nonetheless.

That sucks. While 68 might be a bit high for some people 41 seems utterly insane. Can you get a new roommate?

5°C is marginally warmer than my fridge. Is your roomie a pasty, lumpy, scarf-wearing, coal-for-eyes, kind of guy?

No crap. Is he a skinny dude with shiny eyes? Might want to get his thyroid levels checked.

Nah, I think his roommate is probably

A Spanish physician of "striking intelligence and superior blood and breeding"

I honestly have no idea what his deal is. All I know is that I have roughly 5 weeks left to deal with it, then I can nudge it up to 20C and stop sleeping in thick woolen socks.

My job.

The beginning of December I had a out-of-state meeting that took me away for three days. During that time a small amount of money went missing, and I was unable to find out why/who took it.

Then I took off for Christmas, leaving the 27th, coming back on the 1st. My second day home I got a call saying that someone had broken into my office and stolen all our back-up cash. Then I get back and find out one of my front desk staff has quit, and the next day one of my housekeepers quit.

I was short-staffed before, and now I am even worse off. I don't even like this job.

My girlfriend's cat that she's had since she was a little kid is dying. She's developed a pretty severe hyper thyroid problem and they unfortunately found it too late so the pills that are supposed to cure it just make her unable to hold down any food or water. They're waiting to see what happens but odds are they'll have to put her down tomorrow. Just a few days after we moved into the new apartment we love, she's staying at home to be with her until they know what they're going to do. I've had to put pets down before and while I hate it, I at least know what it's like but she's never had to. She's a mess about it and I hate seeing her like that.

Desserts. I am so sick of desserts because of Christmas/New Years.

Being sick on the day I get off for New Years ( Monday) and still being sick today. I leave tomorrow to go ice fishing for the rest of the week, and I really don't want to be sick when I go. Hopefully my body can recover tonight and tomorrow.

Eros wrote:

Desserts. I am so sick of desserts...

Does not compute.

edosan wrote:
Eros wrote:

Desserts. I am so sick of desserts...

Does not compute.

Eros is a big kid now.

The miserable health status of the avggeek household - I'm starting the year with an irritated disc in my neck and a lingering throat infection / cold. Mrs. avggeek is having a flare-up of her rheumatoid arthritis and I seem to have passed my cold to her

A couple of weeks ago, I found out that the organisation that lent the company Stlyez and I own our startup loan (the Canadian Youth Business Foundation) took extra money out in December with no explanation. I wasn't able to talk to them about it until yesterday because they decided to close for most of the month of December. After I get them on the phone, they steadfastly denied they took the extra money. I had to get our bank manager to source out the transactions and verify that in fact, they did take the money. After I call them back, they tried to tell us that our loan was in fact about 4 times bigger than it actually was and that's where the extra money was going, even though is was coming out in a second payment and wasn't proportionally large enough. The lady literally said "Yeah but my screen says we lent you this much." and I'm like "I'm telling you I know how much money we borrowed, your screen is wrong." After more investigation, they discovered that someone else's loan got attached to our account somehow and we have been making partial payments for them the last 3 months!

They're going to issue us a cheque but it will take who knows how long to arrive. We're trying to wind up the company and need this money to pay accounting fees now. This is the latest in a string of issues we've had with these people, all of which stem from just outright incompetence. This is an organisation that likely has millions of dollars in startup loans issued, all of which are underwritten by major banks and this is how they run things. If you're ever thinking of starting a business in Canada, do yourself a favour and borrow the money elsewhere.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

If you're ever thinking of starting a business in Canada

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh I'm just kidding. Sorry to hear that all of your business annoyances are still cropping up PA, hope it gets rectified soon.

I hate trying to sleep on my side, with an ear piercing that is still healing. I mostly sleep on my sides, so once I actually do fall asleep, I'll completely forget and end up with a very sore ear.
I chose to get it done, so I can't complain too much.

Some of my best sleep happens lying facedown.

My wife's maternal grandfather is dying. His cancer has returned, and he's opted to not seek any kind of treatment. My wife and I completely support his decision, but it's not one the rest of the family is okay with. It's going to be hard to lose him.

At the same time, my wife's paternal grandmother has taken a turn for the worse. She's been in poor health for years but has recently lost a lot of weight and has been confused more and more. I've been wrong about this before, but I don't expect her to be alive much longer.

It's going to be a rough year.

St.Hillary wrote:

I hate trying to sleep on my side, with an ear piercing that is still healing. I mostly sleep on my sides, so once I actually do fall asleep, I'll completely forget and end up with a very sore ear.
I chose to get it done, so I can't complain too much.

If you'd stop putting metal in your ear like a slattern.....

Sorry, I forgot you're in Nebraska and can hear talk like that from every woman over 30.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

My wife's maternal grandfather is dying. His cancer has returned, and he's opted to not seek any kind of treatment. My wife and I completely support his decision, but it's not one the rest of the family is okay with. It's going to be hard to lose him.

At the same time, my wife's paternal grandmother has taken a turn for the worse. She's been in poor health for years but has recently lost a lot of weight and has been confused more and more. I've been wrong about this before, but I don't expect her to be alive much longer.

It's going to be a rough year.

Sorry to hear that.

Are the respective complementary grandparents on each side still alive? (maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather)

Yonder wrote:

Some of my best sleep happens lying facedown.

That may be fine for you, but what about everyone else who has to use the sidewalk?

Minarchist wrote:

Are the respective complementary grandparents on each side still alive? (maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather)

Her maternal grandmother is still alive, but her paternal grandfather passed about ten years ago.

GFWL. I bought Dead Rising 2 on the Steam Sale and have found I can't sign into my live account anymore (I've tried other GFWL games as well). I tried changing router settings (opened up the required ports), and nothing seems to work. Bleh. F GFWL.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

GFWL. I bought Dead Rising 2 on the Steam Sale and have found I can't sign into my live account anymore (I've tried other GFWL games as well). I tried changing router settings (opened up the required ports), and nothing seems to work. Bleh. F GFWL.

Can you log in through live.xbox.com?

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:

GFWL. I bought Dead Rising 2 on the Steam Sale and have found I can't sign into my live account anymore (I've tried other GFWL games as well). I tried changing router settings (opened up the required ports), and nothing seems to work. Bleh. F GFWL.

Can you log in through live.xbox.com?

Oh yeah. Most definitely. I have no idea what the problem is. I'm guessing it's a router issue, but that's just ridiculous. Never had a problem with the router with anything else. I've tried a few times over the past couple weeks and can't get it to work. I guess I can try changing my password again. I usually change it every couple months, so I suppose I am up for a change.

The moronic Apple zealot trying to explain to me how genius and groundbreaking it is that you can download Angry Birds direct on OSX for 59p and how they're going to completely dominate the games market and make loads of money doing this.

Jesus.

Yonder wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

If you're ever thinking of starting a business in Canada

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

You're going to die, swan!

So I just spent 20 minutes typing up a post on the Arizona shooting and I didn't put it up because I don't want to get involved in an argument (especially an internet one).

The problems America is having right now stem, I think, from a vocal majority of the population following blindly one movement or another. Everyone is so concerned about their group and their ideas or how much they dislike this group or that group that they lose focus on the real issue: we're all in this together.

These are reasonable, intelligent people selectively choosing which part of a case to believe, what facts they see. Sometimes to the point of inventing facts out of thin air. That's called lying. But the worst part? I don't think they know they're lying. Deep down, they believe the things they're saying despite those statements being devoid of fact.

You know what I used to do? I loved debating politics. Loved it. Not for the opportunity to prove myself correct (ok, that's a lie, I loved that part) but because I found it fascinating to see where other people were coming from. To determine what their motivations were. Those are some damn interesting conversations to be had there. But over the last 10 years, I've found it increasingly harder to have a reasonable political conversation. It simply can't happen because everyone is so wrapped up in their own camp's doctrine. No one debates facts anymore, they spout catch-phrases and shout dirt on the other side from a verbal gaffe gleaned by bloggers from some obscure speech given somewhere.

It's chaos and it's tearing us apart.

Look, our economy is in the tank. Our international image is in the tank. It feels like things are spiraling out of control. But we can get a handle on it and I can tell you how:

Think.

The next time Glenn Beck tries to whip you into a fervor, think. He has an agenda. Find out the other side of that story and turn that radio dial.

The next time you're on the Huffington Post and you read about the latest Republican dirt sandwiched between stories on Raven-Symone's weight loss and a story about GW Bush's crocs, think. They have an agenda. Read something else. Somewhere else.

We need to stop picking sides and start being reasonable or we'll never get out of this without blood. The crazies are just looking for reasons. We saw that today in Arizona! We, as the rational people, are enabling them by going along with the nonsense both sides of the extreme media are feeding us. Stop feeding the rhetoric. Stop being dismissive of the "other side." Just listen for a while. Their opinion isn't hurting you any more than your opinion hurts them. It's ok to let them be wrong.

We need to come to some kind of understanding here and that can only be reached if people stopped being members of ridiculous groups or political parties and started being Americans.

Anyway, thanks. I needed to get rid of that.

*applause*

Really Guys, take a deep breath, find some middle ground, and go on about the business of running a country, not controlling it.

Edit: On a completely unrelated topic, the combination of being both drunk and alone is terrible. Horrible. Like, really really frustrating. Not good...at all.

Bad.

DanyBoy wrote:

On a completely unrelated topic, the combination of being both drunk and alone is terrible. Horrible. Like, really really frustrating. Not good...at all.

Bad.

Try being alone and not even HAVING anything to drink.

My W & D keys died tonight while playing L4D2.

evilseed wrote:

My W & D keys died tonight while playing L4D2.

Good to know that you always turn right.

hmm, glancing over that I read that your wife died while playing L4D2. I guess the W & D keys are the lesser of two evils.