Random thing you loathe right now.

Dang, good luck. Yeah doctors usually get real nervous about going past the date. They want daily or every other day check ins and usually pull the trigger on Cesarean after a week.

Stele wrote:

Dang, good luck. Yeah doctors usually get real nervous about going past the date. They want daily or every other day check ins and usually pull the trigger on Cesarean after a week.

I’d be careful with such blanket statements, especially if you’re in the US where the due date is skewed and the C-section is nearly double that of other OCDE countries.
And for the record, midwives are extremely competent, some even more than some OBs who are surgeons first and foremost. What is needed (and proven to work most effectively) is a system where midwife and OB work hand in hand.

Own loathe: meltdowns all around and no electricity to the internet router, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and all before 8am!

Eleima wrote:

Own loathe: meltdowns all around and no electricity to the internet router, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and all before 8am!

Doesn't do you much good now but my networking gear (just an all-in-one ONT/Router/Wifi thing now) is plugged into a UPS that will keep it running for about two hours if the power goes out. Kind of weird to be sitting in a dark house and still able to surf the net on my laptop

Rykin wrote:
Eleima wrote:

Own loathe: meltdowns all around and no electricity to the internet router, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and all before 8am!

Doesn't do you much good now but my networking gear (just an all-in-one ONT/Router/Wifi thing now) is plugged into a UPS that will keep it running for about two hours if the power goes out. Kind of weird to be sitting in a dark house and still able to surf the net on my laptop ;)

The internet routers here are issued by the ISP, so my only option would be to get a separate UPS which I'm really not super ready to do due to space constraints. But everything is back up and running, thankfully!

Eleima wrote:
Stele wrote:

Dang, good luck. Yeah doctors usually get real nervous about going past the date. They want daily or every other day check ins and usually pull the trigger on Cesarean after a week.

I’d be careful with such blanket statements, especially if you’re in the US where the due date is skewed and the C-section is nearly double that of other OCDE countries.
And for the record, midwives are extremely competent, some even more than some OBs who are surgeons first and foremost. What is needed (and proven to work most effectively) is a system where midwife and OB work hand in hand.

This has been our experience so far on both counts. We're not being pressured to induce (to a point, of course) and Caesarean is being offered as a last resort if inducing fails. I imagine it'd be different if we expressed a preference for Caesarean, as they've been incredibly accommodating for everything else.

And yeah, the midwives have been awesome, for all of our pregnancies. Whenever we've had issues it's been OBs or, perhaps more specifically, a breakdown in communication between the OB and the midwives.

Neighbour put their gross trash in my recycling bin, not even in a bag, filling it all the way to the top. There's been a couple of other trash incidents on this block recently, too. f*ck those assholes.

Mermaidpirate wrote:

Neighbour put their gross trash in my recycling bin, filling it all the way to the top. There's been a couple of other trash incidents on this block recently, too. f*ck those assholes.

Dump it in front of their house,

halfwaywrong wrote:

This has been our experience so far on both counts. We're not being pressured to induce (to a point, of course) and Caesarean is being offered as a last resort if inducing fails. I imagine it'd be different if we expressed a preference for Caesarean, as they've been incredibly accommodating for everything else.

And yeah, the midwives have been awesome, for all of our pregnancies. Whenever we've had issues it's been OBs or, perhaps more specifically, a breakdown in communication between the OB and the midwives.

Honestly, I just hope you two have a baby in your arms soon, because those last days there at the end are rough, I have firsthand experience of that. ^^

Me too

Our first was running almost a week late, so they did another ultrasound. The baby measured at 4.5kg +/- 500g, which just hit the 5kg cutoff for 'get it out real soon'. A couple of days later they induced. Took a while but everything worked out OK. Getting told by the hospital that they were slammed and "don't call us, we'll call you" was a bit stressful, but they worked it out pretty quickly. Plus the baby was only 4.1kg (9lb 2oz) so not as big as predicted.

The concern I'd have with midwives is that the enforcement of qualifications in the US is spotty. On one end you've got Certified Nurse Midwives who have graduate degrees and are licensed; on the other there are people who just hang out a shingle and have no requirements for formal training. If the hospital scheduled the appointment though I figure you've got someone qualified. From my understanding, outside of the US only the more qualified midwives are allowed to practice, though it's been some time since I looked into this.

I don't have anything directly in the discussion though; my wife made all these decisions, and she wanted everything modern medicine could provide and if they were to invent new things she'd have wanted those too. Big fan of the epidural.

Good luck!

If there weren't insurance companies and for-profit hospitals, doctors would be just as concerned about mother and daughter's health and well-being as a good midwife. Both are spotty.

Mixolyde wrote:

If there weren't insurance companies and for-profit hospitals, doctors would be just as concerned about mother and daughter's health and well-being as a good midwife. Both are spotty.

Again, can we like…. Not… with the blanket statements? An overwhelming majority of American doctors really DO want the best for their patients, and are just as frustrated with the American healthcare system as you are.
Just listen to Dr Sydnee McElroy on Sawbones or Dr Glaucomflecken’s comedy skits (specifically this one).

Eleima wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

If there weren't insurance companies and for-profit hospitals, doctors would be just as concerned about mother and daughter's health and well-being as a good midwife. Both are spotty.

Again, can we like…. Not… with the blanket statements? An overwhelming majority of American doctors really DO want the best for their patients, and are just as frustrated with the American healthcare system as you are.
Just listen to Dr Sydnee McElroy on Sawbones or Dr Glaucomflecken’s comedy skits (specifically this one).

hmmm… it’s almost like overreaching hyperbolic blanket statements are often false and misleading and can easily offend people… oh sorry… what were you saying?

Eleima wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

If there weren't insurance companies and for-profit hospitals, doctors would be just as concerned about mother and daughter's health and well-being as a good midwife. Both are spotty.

Again, can we like…. Not… with the blanket statements? An overwhelming majority of American doctors really DO want the best for their patients, and are just as frustrated with the American healthcare system as you are.
Just listen to Dr Sydnee McElroy on Sawbones or Dr Glaucomflecken’s comedy skits (specifically this one).

I didn't say any of those things. Only that they have other concerns. Like not getting fired, or sued, or trying to choose Healthcare options their patients can afford rather than what's best. I SPECIFICALLY said it was health insurance and for profit hospitals to blame, not the doctors.

I LOVE Sawbones, BTW. But I also have a wife who had two pregnancies where she was treated multiple times like a cargo container that should just suck it up, and not like a patient.

RawkGWJ wrote:

hmmm… it’s almost like overreaching hyperbolic blanket statements are often false and misleading and can easily offend people… oh sorry… what were you saying?

I'm... not offended? Simply pointing out that there's a bigger picture and no need to be reductive? I mean, it's not even my healthcare system. But sure, I guess snark works too.

Mixolyde wrote:

I didn't say any of those things. Only that they have other concerns. Like not getting fired, or sued, or trying to choose Healthcare options their patients can afford rather than what's best. I SPECIFICALLY said it was health insurance and for profit hospitals to blame, not the doctors.
I LOVE Sawbones, BTW. But I also have a wife who had two pregnancies where she was treated multiple times like a cargo container that should just suck it up, and not like a patient.

Hey, I get it. I've been in the exact same place your wife was and am completely capable of recognizing that there are systemic issues in the medical system. I'm simply asking for a little more nuance.

I kind of feel like I should apologise - I didn't mean for this to kick off some kind of larger discussion about healthcare and prenatal systems. Especially the US system, given that I have 0 experience with the childbirth part of it, and only anecdotal experience with the rest of it. I just wanted to vent about a bad couple of days my wife had due to one guys mistake.

Eleima wrote:

Honestly, I just hope you two have a baby in your arms soon, because those last days there at the end are rough, I have firsthand experience of that. ^^

Thank you, it's really appreciated! And really, this is all we can hope for. We're starting the induction process tomorrow.

Wish us luck, goodjers!

A smoke alarm that beeps one time every 45mins-3hrs. Doesn’t seem to be any of the documented beeps. Hardwired and only a couple years old, so (probably) not battery.

Ugh.

We've had that problem before, even with a fresh installation date. Usually it was a malfunction or, of course, the battery.

Did you try to vacuum the smoke detector? They can be sensitive to dust on their sensors

Ego Man wrote:

Did you try to vacuum the smoke detector? They can be sensitive to dust on their sensors

Great tip!

It's usually not hard to replace a hardwired one, just need a non-contact sensor to make sure power is off to the circuit if you have to actually mess with the wires (as opposed to prong-plug types).

Just seen a tweet from Robin Williams daughter asking people to stop sending her impressions of her father. Who thinks it would be a good idea to send a child people doing impressions of their dead parent that committed suicide.

I started typing something I loathed but forgot.

Ego Man wrote:

Did you try to vacuum the smoke detector? They can be sensitive to dust on their sensors

Didn’t vacuum, but did blow it out with compressed air. Didn’t seem to help, so I ran the reset procedure and the test procedure, and last night was thankfully quiet!