Random thing you loathe right now.

Oregon fires..

bekkilyn wrote:

Amazon Delivery Services has my "ire"...

There is a customer service option which will have a representative call your phone. It’s an instant call back. There is also a live chat option, which is basically instant as well. Tell them your story and ask for a refund. They’ve always been gracious to me in the past.

RawkGWJ wrote:
bekkilyn wrote:

Amazon Delivery Services has my "ire"...

There is a customer service option which will have a representative call your phone. It’s an instant call back. There is also a live chat option, which is basically instant as well. Tell them your story and ask for a refund. They’ve always been gracious to me in the past.

Ah but that is what I *didn't* want to do. I absolutely did not want to talk to anyone or chat to anyone or deal with any person at all in real time. I didn't want a refund as the item wasn't actually damaged, but I did want to write out exactly what happened so that they can communicate to the drivers not to dump customer packages in the water and/or leave them out in the elements.

As it was, I did get an email response back from Amazon addressing the issue, so all is good!

A Message from Amazon Logistics Customer Service
Hello,

I'm sorry to know that they left the package in the sidewalk when it was raining.

I understand your disappointment regarding the issue.

From the tracking, we were able to identify the driver and we've taken the issue as a feedback to ensure the appropriate parties are informed of this incident and that corrective actions are taken.

Customer feedback like yours helps us make important decisions about how our shipping procedures can be improved over the course of time.

To help you further, I have added a note for the driver to always deliver the packages on the porch.

And we appreciate customers who let us know when things aren't right. As our valued customer, your satisfaction is our top priority and we certainly do not intend to cause inconvenience to you.

However , If you have any further issues, please let us know and we'll help you.

Your patience and understanding are highly appreciated in this matter. We look forward to seeing you again soon

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards

Single ply toilet paper.

No loathes today.

The packages that came today arrived on the porch instead of on the sidewalk. Of course, it was UPS who delivered these this time around so I expected no less.

Re: district IT woes.
I wouldn't exactly call it a loathe, but it is definitely an anxiety. I work in IT for an education agency that serves dozens of small rural school districts. One of the things that is being discussed this year is spinning up IT support services for districts that can't afford dedicated IT staff.
So, our team of 2 direct support staff (plus one supervisor and one programmer), currently serving about 300 staff spread over several counties will, in the early stages, also be covering IT requests for any of the districts that express interest.
On top of hosting some AWS solutions for state required services and student information systems.
On top of multiple system changes and platform migrations internally.

Luckily my spouse is the primary breadwinner in our household, because this could go sideways fast!

JohnKillo wrote:

Oregon fires..

I don’t believe the rest of the country comprehends the hell we’re going through here and there are moments where it makes me angry to think about if I’m being honest.

DSGamer wrote:
JohnKillo wrote:

Oregon fires..

I don’t believe the rest of the country comprehends the hell we’re going through here and there are moments where it makes me angry to think about if I’m being honest.

Many of us are at least sympathetic in some way, but it's one of those things that unless you have directly experienced something like what is going on there, then it isn't really possible to fully comprehend it. It's also something far out of the circle of most people's control if they are not even remotely close geographically.

I’ve had to endure wild fires at home and at work in the past. It’s horrible!

My loathe:
Ants are assholes.

Some of the goodjers might loathe me on Instagram, I've just stumbled on a bunch of Goodjers there. Don't mind my following you (you'll notice by the 'maxshrek' in the name.)

bekkilyn wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
JohnKillo wrote:

Oregon fires..

I don’t believe the rest of the country comprehends the hell we’re going through here and there are moments where it makes me angry to think about if I’m being honest.

Many of us are at least sympathetic in some way, but it's one of those things that unless you have directly experienced something like what is going on there, then it isn't really possible to fully comprehend it. It's also something far out of the circle of most people's control if they are not even remotely close geographically.

That's not a criticism of GWJ, to be clear. Just of the wider country. Hurricanes and similar storms get wall to wall coverage for days and rightfully so. But in our case there's never a break in the crisis because the smoke is here constantly and I don't think we've received near the coverage.

I woke up this morning, after a week where I was supposed to be on vacation, to a Slack message from a social media person within our company, asking if I'd ask our team for pictures of their favorite fall drinks by Wednesday. Half of our team is taking personal days today because they're dealing with physically trying to secure their environment to prevent smoke from getting in or they're struggling with anxiety and stress over the crisis here.

DSGamer wrote:
bekkilyn wrote:
DSGamer wrote:
JohnKillo wrote:

Oregon fires..

I don’t believe the rest of the country comprehends the hell we’re going through here and there are moments where it makes me angry to think about if I’m being honest.

Many of us are at least sympathetic in some way, but it's one of those things that unless you have directly experienced something like what is going on there, then it isn't really possible to fully comprehend it. It's also something far out of the circle of most people's control if they are not even remotely close geographically.

That's not a criticism of GWJ, to be clear. Just of the wider country. Hurricanes and similar storms get wall to wall coverage for days and rightfully so. But in our case there's never a break in the crisis because the smoke is here constantly and I don't think we've received near the coverage.

I woke up this morning, after a week where I was supposed to be on vacation, to a Slack message from a social media person within our company, asking if I'd ask our team for pictures of their favorite fall drinks by Wednesday. Half of our team is taking personal days today because they're dealing with physically trying to secure their environment to prevent smoke from getting in or they're struggling with anxiety and stress over the crisis here.

I see! Yes, I don't know about the news coverage differences since I don't subscribe to TV and really only pay about 5 minutes attention to my local news site while looking at the weather. Even so, I knew about the fires and someone even brought them up yesterday during our prayer requests at church. Sounds like that social media person in your company has been living under a rock and/or is being a lunkhead.

DSGamer wrote:

I woke up this morning, after a week where I was supposed to be on vacation, to a Slack message from a social media person within our company, asking if I'd ask our team for pictures of their favorite fall drinks by Wednesday. Half of our team is taking personal days today because they're dealing with physically trying to secure their environment to prevent smoke from getting in or they're struggling with anxiety and stress over the crisis here.

There are two possible correct responses here to that social media person.
1) "No. f*ck no. Are you insane? Do you know what we're dealing with out here?"
2) Have every member of your team send pictures of the smoke/sky, the layer of ashes on everything or any other of their favorite shots of the very real danger and tragedy you're facing with a caption that says "Fall Drinks? We're just hoping to stay alive out here!"

ThatGuy42 wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I woke up this morning, after a week where I was supposed to be on vacation, to a Slack message from a social media person within our company, asking if I'd ask our team for pictures of their favorite fall drinks by Wednesday. Half of our team is taking personal days today because they're dealing with physically trying to secure their environment to prevent smoke from getting in or they're struggling with anxiety and stress over the crisis here.

There are two possible correct responses here to that social media person.
1) "No. f*ck no. Are you insane? Do you know what we're dealing with out here?"
2) Have every member of your team send pictures of the smoke/sky, the layer of ashes on everything or any other of their favorite shots of the very real danger and tragedy you're facing with a caption that says "Fall Drinks? We're just hoping to stay alive out here!"

Just send a picture of a cup of ash and call it good.

Looks like we'll be getting a helping of hurricane tonight and tomorrow. Guess I'll find out whether my roof is actually as waterproof as I hope it is and whether the previous owners actually fixed the previous leak the way they claim they did. Wish me luck.

The national news finally recognizing the tolls this is taking on us mentally.

DSGamer wrote:

The national news finally recognizing the tolls this is taking on us mentally.

For what it's worth, NPR has been wall-to-wall coverage of the wildfires lately. I realize they're a different beast from other news sources, but they're at least one national outlet that hasn't overlooked the situation along the coast.

Just so you know, Bekkilyn, I can tell you from personal experience that Amazon *does* promptly notify their subcontractors of issues like this, and people do get fired for egregious crap. (I'm talking fake delivery scams, opening and "sorting" valuables before entering a neighborhood, to decide what to pretend to deliver, stuff like that, not just leaving something in a puddle.)

Totally venting here with a series of minor loathes.
I loathe workdays that are back to back to back meetings. I have no time to actually work, except trying to multitask during those meetings. Of course, instead of multitasking and trying to get some work done during the meeting I'm in right now, I'm venting to GWJ.
So, second loathe: Me. Past me was a real dick last week and procrastinated a ton of work to future me. I am very far behind on things I have to do, and I'm basically continuing to procrastinate instead of buckling down and getting things done. Of course, with back to back meetings it's not like I have time to do the work anyway, but here I am venting instead of working so clearly, we have a circular argument with me at the center.
Third loathe: I have not had a cigarette in 54 days. The cravings have not gone away and I totally want one now more than ever. I'm under way too much stress, and thus my depression and anxiety are getting a full workout. While my coping mechanisms are helping me deal, the "crutch" I always used in the past was getting a cigarette break. Taking that same break and going for a walk without a cigarette seems to leave me even more stressed and bitter, because I'm outside walking around the block spending every step thinking about how much I want a damn cigarette.
Fourth loathe: I played quite a few hours of Control last night and made no discernible progress. I couldn't complete even one damn mission. I just kept dying over and over again to an unseen enemy made of mold that fires homing projectiles. And the frustrating thing is that I would get past one of these unseen assholes by firing blindly or launching a projectile in the general direction of the enemy, only to find out there was another one! And another one! And once again, f*ck me for literally continuing to try 5 times in a row expecting different results. There's clearly something I'm missing in my approach to that area and it's driving me nuts. My lack of success there just triggers the depression and anxiety, which triggers my need for a smoke, which triggers my procrastination and desire not to work.

You know what I need today? I need a success. It doesn't have to be big, but I need some kind of win today so that I can feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Okay, vent over, thank you to all of GWJ for helping keep me sane and listening to me rant.

ThatGuy42 wrote:

You know what I need today? I need a success. It doesn't have to be big, but I need some kind of win today so that I can feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

Oh, man! I can relate to this in a big way.

Spectrum.

Internet out for almost 6 hours already because it's raining?

RawkGWJ wrote:
ThatGuy42 wrote:

You know what I need today? I need a success. It doesn't have to be big, but I need some kind of win today so that I can feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

Oh, man! I can relate to this in a big way.

2nded. On my 18th day of not smoking, working from home since March for a company in transition, and desperately in need of a success after SO MANY 'close but no cigars'.

The back-to-back Zoom/Teams meetings is the first time I've witnessed the transformation of an adopted technology from "oh wow this is handy" to "oh sh*t yet more pressure from our corporate overlords" unfold live. Like with e-mail and cell phones, it began as a productivity tool freeing up time and effort and ended up in record time as another way to squeeze some more 'productivity' out of us.

I'm hoping some balance can be found in the long run, because I'm hearing this more and more often and the pressure is on us to either work overtime to get anything done or multitask while pretending to listen. I'm not optimistic though, as that would require someone up in the food chain to actually decide which meetings are vital and which ones are fluff. It's far easier to fill our agenda's and then put the blame with the peons for either not getting sh*t done or not following the umpteenth meeting.

Stele wrote:

Spectrum.

Internet out for almost 6 hours already because it's raining?

Still down
14+ hours.
No information except "you are in an outage area". No estimates or causes.

May have to take PTO today because I can't work without it.