Random thing you loathe right now.

Been having pain while urinating since I got out of the hospital a month ago. Nothing showed up on labs, and some yeast medicine got rid of the pain last week. Now it's back, along with what looked like little bloody chunks of meat in my urine, so got an emergency visit with the urologist today. Have to go back next Friday for a cystoscopy, because he suspects a fistula, where the abscess on my intestines has somehow found a way to drain pus by tunneling through the wall of my bladder. Neat.

Monday after that is my birthday, then probably having the followup colonoscopy the Friday after that, so I'll get to spend the week surrounding my 40th having cameras in literally every orifice, and if the doctor's correct, probably have to have surgery to remove part of my intestines. Hopefully without a colostomy. Depends how acute the diverticulitis is.

I really thought all the talk about your body shutting down at 40 was just talk.

That is awful bonus, my thoughts go out to ya

NSMike wrote:

This clown.

FYI Andrich and Sands, I happen to know your continued association with him is literally losing you Patreon dollars (not mine, I left years ago).

Can you elaborate on the continued association thing? I thought Fletcher was long gone from here.

Agent 86 wrote:
NSMike wrote:

This clown.

FYI Andrich and Sands, I happen to know your continued association with him is literally losing you Patreon dollars (not mine, I left years ago).

Can you elaborate on the continued association thing? I thought Fletcher was long gone from here.

Sands has an article on the front page of The Escapist dated today.

Huh, sure enough. Thanks for answering.

Power went out in Apartment. Was really excited to go home and play something. Now I'm back at work. Least the power is back.

Just popping in to remind Eleima not to tell us about her rotation in pediatric oncology.

Carry on.

Grrr. People. For diplomacy's sake, I should probably meet humanity half way on this given it's Friday afternoon. As such, we'll claw that loathe line back to just "the living". I reckon anyone already moved on has paid whatever relative amount they owed on the a**hattery tab.

Yes, yes... I'm sure I'm past due on those 'taxes' myself (like most folk). It'll come 'round.

Gout.

Nuff said.

Jayhawker wrote:

Gout.

Nuff said.

Ugh, I feel your pain - literally. Hope it passes soon.

edit: eh, too dark.

Jayhawker wrote:

Gout.

Nuff said.

But think! This is your opportunity to lie like Manafort and blame it on your gout!

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

I really thought all the talk about your body shutting down at 40 was just talk.

Oh, man, Bonus! I'm sorry. I hope it all goes as well as it can. Good luck, buddy.

And I hope the rest of you experiencing gout and other issues get better as well!!

Well, I’m feeling a ton better today. And by better, I mean it only feels like a rugby player stomped my big toe while in a dead run. The last two days felt like someone dribbled a bowling ball on my bare foot, nailing the big knuckle over my big toe.

I am between doctors, and have an appointment with a new primary on the 19th, so I really didn’t have a doctor to see about the current flare-up, so I just gutted it out. It never got this bad before. Usually I just get a feeling like I have a bad bruise on my toe, and it goes away in time. This time, I couldn’t really walk, and the throbbing pain was continuous. The worst moment, I got a muscle spasm on that foot, in the toes. Might have been the worst pain I felt in my life.

Will ask my new doctor for the medicine that prevents this. Not sure why I passed on it before.

Good luck, Jayhawker!!

Jayhawker wrote:

Not sure why I passed on it before.

Because taking pills every day suck, as most women and the elderly can tell you.
Glad you’re feeling better, hope you can get that treatment soon (it will finish the occurrence of flare up’s, but also decrease the impact on your joints in the long run).

Eleima wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:

Not sure why I passed on it before.

Because taking pills every day suck, as most women and the elderly can tell you.
Glad you’re feeling better, hope you can get that treatment soon (it will finish the occurrence of flare up’s, but also decrease the impact on your joints in the long run).

Thanks. And yeah, it was partly that, but I’m already a daily pill popper. I’ve had severe asthma and allergies my whole life. So it’s been pills and steroid inhalers since I was a kid. And some high blood pressure added two more pills. With excema, that included daily creams, but a new miracle drug has seemingly “cured” the excema with a self-administered shot every two weeks.

My 73-year-old mother even lamented the pile of pill bottles I had on my desk as a sign I’m getting old. So I’ll add taking a ton of daily pills to my loathe.

Was promised a fair bit when I was hired on for my new job. So was expecting a decent pay bump and bonus. What I got was probably more insulting then nothing.

It makes me sad because I feel lied too. I also really hoped that they were fair with pay since I like everything else about the company.

Oh well guess I'll have to change jobs again in a few years to get a decent pay bump again.

master0 wrote:

Was promised a fair bit when I was hired on for my new job. So was expecting a decent pay bump and bonus. What I got was probably more insulting then nothing.

It makes me sad because I feel lied too. I also really hoped that they were fair with pay since I like everything else about the company.

Oh well guess I'll have to change jobs again in a few years to get a decent pay bump again.

I am struggling with this right now too. I am paid now 2 years into a job what I was paid when I left my old job. I have been able to work from home, a perk!, I have a great team, a perk!, I have worked harder & longer hours the past 2 years than ever before. I have been told I am a top performer, a future leader, and upcoming promotion....I went through our promote yourself up by your bootstraps process and......was told to keep working towards it.

This past year was a bad year for our division but my team and our department had great success...Raises were down and bonuses were down....Also the bonus situation when I was hired was misconstrued so I received about half of what I was explained I would get. But our shares are up....so I guess someone's pockets are lined and our CEO's are paid millions...So good for them. IDK, I hate to look for a job and tired of rock hopping every 2 years but seriously I want a job where I can enjoy it and happily provide for my family not cause 3 months of fighting with my wife because I work too hard.

Our 20-year-old microwave finally needed replacing when my wife ripped the door handle off. $250 for a new microwave, which is admittedly nicer and an improvement. But I had so little free time that it took 3 days just to get it installed. Two days later, our dishwasher stops draining. [email protected]#%!.

Have you considered not buying a microwave? Our last house had one built-in, the new house we moved into 6 years ago did not have one, and we simply didn't bother to buy one. We rarely miss it. Leftovers get heated up on the stove or in the oven. We found we simply didn't need a microwave.

It sounds like he bought and installed it already, based on his post

Yeah, but I don't have any advice on dishwashers. I'm a total cheapskate (part of why we didn't buy a microwave) and so the last time our dishwasher broke I vowed to fix it myself. It took 12 hours, 3 trips to the hardware store, and I ended up with a nice cut on my arm. I highly recommend returning the dishwasher and using that money to hire an appliance repairman.

I was more grousing about having just fixed one problem (microwave) when another thing immediately breaks (dishwasher).

I might be able to fix it, depending on the problem. I just hate dealing with anything involving plumbing. And if it needs a part, it will be the part that costs as much as a new dishwasher.

Edit - and now on top of the dishwasher, my son has the flu. Gonna be a fun week.

Edit 2 - actually TWO kids with the flu, but the dishwasher problem was just a clogged drain line. Fixed! Kids still have the flu though.

Random thing I loathe that has become an epidemic (that is not directed at anyone here, because I see it elsewhere): The word "invite" has been and always will be a verb, and only a verb. Why people try to use it as a noun instead of the actual noun, invitation, that has surely existed for as long as the verb is beyond me.

MeatMan wrote:

Random thing I loathe that has become an epidemic (that is not directed at anyone here, because I see it elsewhere): The word "invite" has been and always will be a verb, and only a verb. Why people try to use it as a noun instead of the actual noun, invitation, that has surely existed for as long as the verb is beyond me.

Was that the etymology signal in the night sky? [fanfare]

You're incorrect. The noun "invitation" is actually older than the verb "invite". "Invite" was back-formed about one hundred years later as a verb form of "invitation". Something to keep in mind the next time people complain about the "modern" trend of verbing things.

At the same time, "invite" as a noun goes back to the 1600s, or a bit less than a hundred years after the birth of "invite" as a verb. So while that's technically not always been a verb and only a verb, after four hundred years of the word being used as a noun, I'm willing to say that it's perfectly acceptable to use it that way.

This as an invite to re-evaluate your loathe against it. The earliest usage of it as a noun that Merriam-Webster has found is 1628, and it's been used fairly commonly as a noun ever since.

You can likely blame Facebook "invites" for it seeming even more common now.

Everybody that complains about how words are used outside of their prescribed definition (which they are often incorrect about anyway) really should take a linguistics class. It really changed my mind and enlightened me on a host of ideas, including how we use grammar to other lower classes.

Gift and grief are to more words we use as verbs now.

Jayhawker wrote:

Everybody that complains about how words are used outside of their prescribed definition (which they are often incorrect about anyway) really should take a linguistics class. It really changed my mind and enlightened me on a host of ideas, including how we use grammar to other lower classes.

Gift and grief are to more words we use as verbs now.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/5L2lDHK.jpg)

Language, language never changes. War changes all the time though. We use to pawn scrubs with sticks and rocks now we can own them with nukes and start flossing. You feel me with this gewy knowledge.