Random thing you loathe right now.

SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

It's not that time already is it??

SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

The target near me has school supply pickup where you put your order and they bring it to your car . What a great idea.

Stevintendo wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

It's not that time already is it??

My thoughts exactly. We’re finally starting summer vacation with the kids, just now. So my head is definitely not in the “back to school” game.

Stevintendo wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

It's not that time already is it??

My boys started back last Tuesday.

My youngest had their first bad dream last night. Not nice!

cartoonin wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

It's not that time already is it??

My boys started back last Tuesday.

My girls started today.

Eleima wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

School supply shopping. Woof. Target is a madhouse.

It's not that time already is it??

My thoughts exactly. We’re finally starting summer vacation with the kids, just now. So my head is definitely not in the “back to school” game.

Wut? School's out for summer in mid August in France? In here it's the first week of June and fall semester started last week. Youngest went to preschool at five years old. Time flies .

It's summer still but there's a definite feel of fall in the air, sun doesn't climb nearly as high as it did a mere two weeks ago.

Suvanto wrote:

It's summer still but there's a definite feel of fall in the air, sun doesn't climb nearly as high as it did a mere two weeks ago.

No feel of fall here. It's typically in the 90's (unless in the middle of a storm) with humidity near 100%. Sun glare is so bright just thinking about it causes skin to fall off and burn.

Suvanto wrote:
Eleima wrote:

My thoughts exactly. We’re finally starting summer vacation with the kids, just now. So my head is definitely not in the “back to school” game.

Wut? School's out for summer in mid August in France? In here it's the first week of June and fall semester started last week. Youngest went to preschool at five years old. Time flies .

Well technically school was out on July 5th, but eldest’s specialized center continued until July 27th. And then their father had the kids for the first half of the summer vacation, so I had custody from August 12th. So it feels like I had to wait a wait for vacation to truly start.

The word 'Millennials'; I've seen/heard it far too many times today.

Apparently "Millennials" have now taken to murdering mayonnaise...or something like that...

Stevintendo wrote:

The word 'Millennials'; I've seen/heard it far too many times today.

Apparently "Millennials" have now taken to murdering mayonnaise...or something like that...

Sounds like a mercy killing to me. If it's not aioli I want none of it.

Stevintendo wrote:

The word 'Millennials'; I've seen/heard it far too many times today.

Apparently "Millennials" have now taken to murdering mayonnaise...or something like that...

Anytime you see the term "Millennials" in a news article, pretend it says "Adults between 25 and 40". It does a great job of highlighting how useless and pathetic those articles are.

There is a Chrome extension which will replace all instances of the word "Millennials" with "Snake People," and that really sheds light on the tone most of those articles are written with.

thrawn82 wrote:
Stevintendo wrote:

The word 'Millennials'; I've seen/heard it far too many times today.

Apparently "Millennials" have now taken to murdering mayonnaise...or something like that...

Sounds like a mercy killing to me. If it's not aioli I want none of it.

Béarnaise or bust.

Friggin' squirrels chewed a hole in the hose on my gas grill *again*. Maybe I should have rubbed bitter apple on it the second time, but I cleaned it and the area under the grill so there shouldn't have been any grease on it this time. (not that I think there was before given its placement)

Dunno why they're starting that now- the grill's been there for years without them noticing it until this summer.

I loathe that I have loved Star Wars since I was about 7 years old and now I can barely see a reference to it without feeling stressed and annoyed.

The cultural dialogue about Star Wars has now been completely taken over by:

(A) People who hate the new movies, not because of any of their very real actual flaws, but because, I don't know, female characters had too many lines or something

and

(B) People who want to pretend the new movies are good and give them a pass on all of their flaws because they don't want anyone to think they're in the (A) group

As bad as the prequel trilogy was at least we could all sort of find common ground and commiserate by bitching about Jar Jar Binks.

Increasingly with pop culture media properties in general, it feels like your choices are to either throw in your lot with the pondscum who think they're being personally attacked if a black character is introduced, or try to somehow prove you have a more enlightened social consciousness by uncritically sucking up whatever monolithic corporations fart out to separate us from our disposable income.

Not looking for anybody to ask me what I don't like about the new movies or have a debate here, just venting.

I totally agree. The star wars I loved is dead and gone. I worked hard to make the best of the EU and loving the original trilogy too much. I was mocked and put in dedication. Now any dudebro can wear a nerd culture tee and it's hip. No it's just annoying and your sh*tting on my youth. Whatever. I will just enjoy the property and see if it will stay special or Disney will just milk it dry and reboot at some point when star wars goes stale.

Cool to know that as a person who genuinely loves the new movies that I don't exist

People that bitch about the "very real actual flaws" clearly haven't watched the originals in a lot ass time.

The very real chance that my daughter will need to be committed today.

I am not coping very well with this.

Tanglebones wrote:

Cool to know that as a person who genuinely loves the new movies that I don't exist

I haven’t had a chance to see Solo yet, but I genuinely like the other new Star Wars films more than the older ones. Rogue One in particular is the best film in the series to date.

The older films are good in the same sense that many other classic films are: they’re good for their time. But the writing, acting, storytelling, pacing... well, basically everything is better in the newer films.

ruhk wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:

Cool to know that as a person who genuinely loves the new movies that I don't exist

I haven’t had a chance to see Solo yet, but I genuinely like the other new Star Wars films more than the older ones. Rogue One in particular is the best film in the series to date.

The older films are good in the same sense that many other classic films are: they’re good for their time. But the writing, acting, storytelling, pacing... well, basically everything is better in the newer films.

Star wars is such a weird best. It's really not about the movies themselves but the whole world and culture surrounding them. This makes people really invested in them. So I can see Disney sticking there hand into it will make some mad no matter what. That and throwing out lots of canon. I did personally enjoy the films but they do feel like cash grabs sometimes.

Bruce wrote:

The very real chance that my daughter will need to be committed today.

I am not coping very well with this.

Best wishes, thinking and praying for your family.

Tanglebones wrote:

Cool to know that as a person who genuinely loves the new movies that I don't exist

I never said people who genuinely like the new movies don't exist, I'm sorry if it came across that way. But to me they just don't really seem to be a player in the endless clickbait thinkpiece sh*tstorm Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon has turned into, just as people like me (who dislike the new movies, but for reasons other than "teh SJW's ruined muh Ster Werz") aren't so they don't really fall within the scope of what I was talking about. Much more so than my beefs with the movies themselves, it's the trolling and arguing, the performative Hot-Take Industrial Complex that's sucked all the fun out of SW for me.

Not going to respond to anything else, I really didn't want to have a debate and this all seems really petty now with posts like Bruce's in the middle of it. Only wanted to clarify because giving the impression I don't think there's anyone genuinely likes the Disney-era stuff (I actually thought Rogue One and Solo were both quite alright FWIW) was not what I intended.

Hobear wrote:
Bruce wrote:

The very real chance that my daughter will need to be committed today.

I am not coping very well with this.

Best wishes, thinking and praying for your family.

Bruce - that’s devastating. I can’t imagine. Thinking of you and your family and hope she gets the help she needs

Remember that saying about how power corrupts? Yeah...

This is a video by Leonard French, one of the youtubers I follow. He is a lawyer who helps normal people understand legalese, and apparently, one of the victims of this sort of thing.

Part 1 is footage of the report, part 2 is a reading and analysis of the documents.

Middcore wrote:

Much more so than my beefs with the movies themselves, it's the trolling and arguing, the performative Hot-Take Industrial Complex that's sucked all the fun out of SW for me.

+1

I feel like this about...mostly everything these days.

Rahmen wrote:
Hobear wrote:
Bruce wrote:

The very real chance that my daughter will need to be committed today.

I am not coping very well with this.

Best wishes, thinking and praying for your family.

Bruce - that’s devastating. I can’t imagine. Thinking of you and your family and hope she gets the help she needs

if you need a place to vent, or a place to get support, we're here for you. Don't be afraid to cross-post over in the Parenting thread, too.

cheeze_pavilion wrote:
Middcore wrote:

Much more so than my beefs with the movies themselves, it's the trolling and arguing, the performative Hot-Take Industrial Complex that's sucked all the fun out of SW for me.

+1
I feel like this about...mostly everything these days.

Yeah. Not a Star Wars fan but I understand the feeling. I've drastically cut out a lot of Facebook and other social media feeds because it was exhausting seeing 12 articles debating the political motivations of a superhero movie trailer that was released 10 minutes ago or dissecting the meaning of one throwaway sentence made by whoever was on Colbert last night.

kuddles wrote:
cheeze_pavilion wrote:
Middcore wrote:

Much more so than my beefs with the movies themselves, it's the trolling and arguing, the performative Hot-Take Industrial Complex that's sucked all the fun out of SW for me.

+1
I feel like this about...mostly everything these days.

Yeah. Not a Star Wars fan but I understand the feeling. I've drastically cut out a lot of Facebook and other social media feeds because it was exhausting seeing 12 articles debating the political motivations of a superhero movie trailer that was released 10 minutes ago or dissecting the meaning of one throwaway sentence made by whoever was on Colbert last night.

I loathe how that kind of stuff used to actually *add* to the experience for me, but doesn't anymore.

Strangely, the one thing I *don't* loathe is (what I've seen of) the DC Cinematic Universe (or whatever it's called--the one with Batman and Superman and such that is much less well regarded). Something about the bleak duty of it is oddly comforting.