Random thing you loathe right now.

My 360 Hard Drive apparently going bad, probably gonna have to replace it soon.

SommerMatt wrote:

Getting the f*cking run-around.

...which will get back to me (maybe) in (you guessed it) "1-2 business days."

The rotten part about these things is that they do NOT run on Internet time. We do. It's like we're hummingbirds whipping around our houses, fretting over our missing digital morphine while the repair process' giant clocktower gears turn one notch per day, with your case number maybe shifting places on stacks, maybe stuck without a critical piece of information nobody will ever call you to get so it can move along. Maybe it's all just about to end with a phone call. Can you hear it coming? The phone's powering up to ring nnnnnow. Now? Wait, I thought I heard it...

My yellow-light-of-death'd PS3 is waiting for someone at the Target replacement plan annointed repair shop to look at it. They should declare it dead relatively quickly, tell the plan people, who will do the "buy-out" and issue me a credit. Or maybe they'll try to fix it, and it will break again very soon, and I'll have to drag this out and be without a system again. It's been 15 days since it croaked and I'm down to the equivalent of eating videogame Ramen: free MMOs on a laptop.

(Except this is darned good Ramen: Runes of Magic. Free Realms is cool, but ROM is grindylicious.)

I used to play my PS3 every night for at least an hour in action-packed games, sending messages back and forth to friends and family. Now I'm collecting hairy frog eyeballs to please some botanist in a tent near a lake who never moves, ever.

Stupid bullsh*t office politics. Stylez and I don't have this problem cause we run our own show (well we do have stupid suppliers sometimes) but my Mom is currently undergoing some ridiculous stuff. She's a librarian for 2 public elementary schools here in Ottawa and at 1 of her schools, she has this absolute scum-ridden Principal/Vice-Principal pair. In a nutshell, last year they tried to force her to do something that was miles outside her job description. She refused (after checking with her union who said they would back her up) and the pair declared war. Her union ended up hanging her out to dry (if you're not a teacher, they just take your money and don't care), even though she was 100% right and since then, the pair has just been f*cking with her life, manipulating things behind the scenes to make things difficult. I suspect their hope is to make her change schools, which she won't do. She has called me in tears some days and wanting to punch the wall other days. She's 4 years away from retirement and doesn't have the means or the will to fight a war with these 2 evil women who are above her. She's nothing less than a grand master at her job and already does many things that she doesn't get paid for just because she loves the kids and loves the work. Seeing vindictive, selfish people like these 2 making a job this wonderful woman loves a living Hell just makes me want to slash their tires at the very least.

I swear, when our company gets bigger and we have staff and I see this kind of crap, I will engineer a special cannon to fire those people into the sun.

/rage

That sucks, Parallax. I worked for a librarian and they are underappreciated and overworked for sure. She can't get switched to a different place in the district can she?

Having a hangover at work.

muttonchop wrote:

Having a hangover at work.

Similarly: being drunk at work

I can't proofread like this!

Clemenstation wrote:
muttonchop wrote:

Having a hangover at work.

Similarly: being drunk at work

I can't proofread like this!

Knowing there are people drunk at work, and I'm not one of them.

Vrikk wrote:

M and T Bank. I switched to you guys because my previous local bank blew chunks, and I heard good things about you... so why are you failing so horribly? Now I have over a hundred dollars in fees because you are the only bank I've ever used that takes forever to clear funds.

May I suggest USAA? The insurance aspect is limited to military members, but I believe that federal law requires that the banking and investment parts be open to the public. I do everything via USAA and have never had a complaint. Just a thought.

Our IT department. Last couple of days, our CPU gets overloaded every 15 minutes for a minute or so because of some conflict between McAfee (yeah, I know, McAfee...) and Outlook. Solution of our IT department after three days of doing nothing? Shut down McAfee. That's right, were running without a virus scanner on our work pc's. Hooray for security!

Watching sporting events via DVR. Look, I love my DVR, but there's something about watching a sporting event live... an additional energy that you miss out on when you watch tape delay.

dejanzie wrote:

Our IT department. Last couple of days, our CPU gets overloaded every 15 minutes for a minute or so because of some conflict between McAfee (yeah, I know, McAfee...) and Outlook. Solution of our IT department after three days of doing nothing? Shut down McAfee. That's right, were running without a virus scanner on our work pc's. Hooray for security!

On the bright side, no antivirus is probably still better than McAfee

Selling vehicles. Such a hassle.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

Stupid bullsh*t office politics. Stylez and I don't have this problem cause we run our own show (well we do have stupid suppliers sometimes) but my Mom is currently undergoing some ridiculous stuff. She's a librarian for 2 public elementary schools here in Ottawa and at 1 of her schools, she has this absolute scum-ridden Principal/Vice-Principal pair. In a nutshell, last year they tried to force her to do something that was miles outside her job description. She refused (after checking with her union who said they would back her up) and the pair declared war. Her union ended up hanging her out to dry (if you're not a teacher, they just take your money and don't care), even though she was 100% right and since then, the pair has just been f*cking with her life, manipulating things behind the scenes to make things difficult. I suspect their hope is to make her change schools, which she won't do. She has called me in tears some days and wanting to punch the wall other days. She's 4 years away from retirement and doesn't have the means or the will to fight a war with these 2 evil women who are above her. She's nothing less than a grand master at her job and already does many things that she doesn't get paid for just because she loves the kids and loves the work. Seeing vindictive, selfish people like these 2 making a job this wonderful woman loves a living Hell just makes me want to slash their tires at the very least.

I swear, when our company gets bigger and we have staff and I see this kind of crap, I will engineer a special cannon to fire those people into the sun.

/rage

My mother works in the public school system in NYC and has had to deal with similar situations, fortunately they were not as intense as your mother's predicament.

I like this cannon idea.

If you get corporate policy worked out to include the cannon, I will steal it from you wholesale.

If we manage to write a clause into people's employment agreements that legally permit the use of said cannon, I will Creative Commons that sh*t and everyone can use it with my blessing. I will consider it my lifetime achievement for helping humanity.

To answer your question VDO, she probably could wait for another school to open up and go there but she doesn't want to. Aside from the fact that it would be conceding defeat to the axis forces, it is a massive undertaking to go into another school's library, learn the system they used for doing things and reconfigure it to suit your own system. Plus, she doesn't want to have to get to know all new staff again (she's been at her current school for almost 15 years and considers some of those teachers almost family), getting to know new kids and all sorts of other issues. And the problem is, due to legislation a former neo-con provincial government passed here a number of years back, good qualified principals are very rare now. It is a total crap shoot who you will end up with when you move schools and some of them are frighteningly inept at their jobs. These two women are evil but they are very knowledgeable and experienced at least. At this point, she is trying to just work to rule as best she can and keep her head down until she retires. She hates doing that (and I hate seeing her hate it) but she thinks it is the best thing right now. I am not normally one to back down from a fight when I know I'm right (and neither is she) but I think I agree with her on this one.

So yeah, again with people on craigslist. Honestly, i've never ran across such a bunch of cheap assholes as the people buying things on here.

Whats that you say? The vacuum I put on craigslist is dusty? You say that it's now worth $5 less (out of the whopping $15 I want) because you'll have to get your cheap ass up and do manual labor in the form of 5 minutes of dusting? Yeah, f*ck you.

It amazes me that people seem to be willing to only buy things at 10% or less of their MSRP and expect them to be new in box. I'm not selling my furniture to get my next crack rock, i'm selling it to move out of state and i'm not a f*cking idiot.

The DVD of Gran Torino I rented last night not only had the usual annoying, unskippable anti-piracy ad, but two unskippable trailers for other films, playing for about 5-6 minutes total.

Anything not metal-ish. I cannot stand any other kind of music right now. I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, because normally I can at least stand just about any music (barring country of course), but today, even classic rock is pissing me off.

Funny, I've been doing the complete opposite today.

Feeling meloncholy and nostalgic, I YouTubed a bunch of corny songs from the '70s that I remember listening to on our annual road trips from DC back to my hometown of Boston where we would listen to the same set of 8-track cassettes for years. I heard greatest hits collections from Cat Stevens, The Carpenters, Dolly Parton, etc. so much that these tunes are now burned into my brain (not that it's a bad thing or anything).

Stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgnzN...

rigging. F*************************CK!

I grew up in Brooklyn, so the amount of Jehova's Witnesses making house calls were many. You'd think that moving to Japan would be enough to escape them, but nope. Guess who came buzzing my apartment today. I tried playing the stupid American who can't speak Japanese which backfired greatly when the bastard switched to English. Curse you all!

Trainwreck wrote:

I grew up in Brooklyn, so the amount of Jehova's Witnesses making house calls were many. You'd think that moving to Japan would be enough to escape them, but nope. Guess who came buzzing my apartment today. I tried playing the stupid American who can't speak Japanese which backfired greatly when the bastard switched to English. Curse you all!

A good friend of mine had Jehova's at his door once when he was 16. They asked him whether he knew the meaning of life. He responded with a Sahara dry "I don't know, I'll go ask my mother" and slammed the door.

Trainwreck wrote:

I grew up in Brooklyn, so the amount of Jehova's Witnesses making house calls were many. You'd think that moving to Japan would be enough to escape them, but nope. Guess who came buzzing my apartment today. I tried playing the stupid American who can't speak Japanese which backfired greatly when the bastard switched to English. Curse you all!

I got the same deal in Korea! It blew my mind when they showed up the first time.

I had to explain in broken Konglish that I used to be a Satanist (not true) for her to stop 'dropping by' on weekends to give me copies of the Watchtower. She suddenly started coughing and said "Air... air is not good here." Left and never came back.

They stopped by my house at Christmas because they knew we'd be home. My father was not pleased and explained to these "elders" that they really weren't appreciated. And they stopped by again one summer after we moved and I felt obliged to engage in a debate with them as to the validity of their source material. It was fun goading them for about 15 minutes before they gave up.

  • We didn't just elope.
  • My building left me a note saying that they didn't get my last two months' rent, so I need to cut another check (half-emptying my checking account) and possibly cancel the old checks.
  • I have a 32" waist but can't find pants that can handle my thighs.
  • Similarly, my tuxedo now seems too small, even though the waist fits perfectly.
  • A pen snuck into the wash last night and waited until out of the pocket and in the dryer to explode.
  • I made the mistake of trying to calm down by playing Ocarina of Time.
  • E Hunnie's got to be out of her apartment by the end of the month, and our weekends are entirely booked.
  • I'm complaining about my personal life on the internet.

I just signed for a new apartment yesterday despite the fact that with the current financial means of the company I co-own, I can only survive about 5 months there before my reserves run out. There are potentially good things on the horizon but yeah, I feel about 15 kinds of fear about it.

The SCO 5.0.6 systems running Informix 7 on obselete hardware that I've been asked to upgrade without any budget.

A repair shop that can't fix my friggin' lawn mower after 3 tries and $265.

Wordy's big butt update: My waist is just under 32". At mid-thigh, pants made for a 36" waist are about the right size.

Thanks for letting us get into your pants.