Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad (RO2)

A patch just dropped.

The digital deluxe weapons now work, which unlocks weapons early for the assault and marksman classes on both sides.

Tannhauser wrote:

The digital deluxe weapons now work, which unlocks weapons early for the assault and marksman classes on both sides.

Is there's a thumbs up smiley?

Ahhh, the patch would explain why my download took longer than expected overnight.

Finally got my hands on this puppy. Readjusting my frame of mind to a slower paced precision shooter. Overall I'm enjoying it immensely, and have a hard time walking away from the computer to get some chores done. That's a good sign.

It will take me some time to get into a groove with this game, but I'm loving playing as a bolt action rifleman. Very satisfying to see that pink cloud of blood after nailing someone who's just barely peeking around a corner.

On the technical side of things, I enjoyed 2 crashes before I even made it into a game. Also, my stats aren't updating. After looking into TWI's support forums I can see that these aren't uncommon problems. Fortunately they're not frustrating enough to scare me off.

RO is one of those games where I don't mind dying. It's not an immediate sign that you suck, depending on the gamemode it doesn't kill your chances in that match, it's part of the game experience.

Thinking about picking this up tonight. Sounds like the game is still kind of a mess though

If it's any indication, I haven't had any of the buggy problems mentioned above (knock on fake wood).

Tried the machine gun classes yesterday, and a few new maps, and enjoyed both. The maps make such a huge difference in how you play. And I feel so much more important strategically as a machine gunner, I care a lot more about dying and leaving an area exposed to attack. There's a lot more sitting and covering an area as a (smart) machine gunner, and it took a while to get more used to that.

Jolly Bill wrote:

If it's any indication, I haven't had any of the buggy problems mentioned above (knock on fake wood).

Tried the machine gun classes yesterday, and a few new maps, and enjoyed both. The maps make such a huge difference in how you play. And I feel so much more important strategically as a machine gunner, I care a lot more about dying and leaving an area exposed to attack. There's a lot more sitting and covering an area as a (smart) machine gunner, and it took a while to get more used to that.

You didn't just say you can play as a support gunner did you? My absolute favorite role to play in a shooter and most games don't get it right. Perhaps I may have to pick this up.

This is bringing back strong memories of the Day of Defeat Mod (played in the v1.3 - 2.0 days). I loved that game. The stories of buggy-ness of RO are scaring me away from this one.

El-Producto wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

If it's any indication, I haven't had any of the buggy problems mentioned above (knock on fake wood).

Tried the machine gun classes yesterday, and a few new maps, and enjoyed both. The maps make such a huge difference in how you play. And I feel so much more important strategically as a machine gunner, I care a lot more about dying and leaving an area exposed to attack. There's a lot more sitting and covering an area as a (smart) machine gunner, and it took a while to get more used to that.

You didn't just say you can play as a support gunner did you? My absolute favorite role to play in a shooter and most games don't get it right. Perhaps I may have to pick this up.

It's a near requirement on certain maps (the ones with lots of open space). There are few spots for that role on the team so if you want it make sure to jump in the game and grab it fast once it comes up. Most people will be riflemen.

Edit: keep in mind you will be a HUGE target for snipers once your position is revealed.

Yeah, machine gunners need to fire in short bursts and then move.

Middle clicking shoots one shot, which is good for sniping with the machine guns and it makes it harder to see as there's less muzzle flash.

Suppression is pretty cool in this game, so machine gunners have a real role.

God.. you guys are NOT helping me resist.

Filthy enablers all of you.

I really wish there was a demo or something, because I know when BF3 drops it's all over.

Well I bought it. I'll be on tonight, I'll hop on vent and see if there is any GWJ action.

FYI Greenman Gaming has the game for 20% off with code WORLD-ATWAR-20PEC. They sell you a key which unlocks the game on steam. If you don't have an account use my referral link and we both get $5!

Not only does it get support gunning well, it gives you a little green flash when your MG round lands close enough to suppress. Very satisfying to get little green, big green, pink mist groupings.

Also, does T do anything if there's no recon plane and no one hitting Z?

One vital piece of info which I didn't get until Rob Zacny told me: Rolling the mouse wheel changes the iron sights on guns. Watch in the lower right as your ranges roll out from 50m, to 100m, to even longer with MGs and rifles. Now I know why I couldn't reliably hit anything over 50m with a rifle.

I have also figured out the commander role, but that's a bit of a long post for my BlackBerry this afternoon.

Did you do the tutorial for the commander?

Ah yes, the mouse scroll is super important for long range shooting. That's probably something that should've been pointed out when talking about sniping (though I find it's easier to aim high with a sniper rifle because the scope is so awesome).

Anyway, another patch dropped. At this rate the game will be bug free in about three hours 17 minutes and five seconds from now.

garion333 wrote:

Anyway, another patch dropped. At this rate the game will be bug free in about three hours 17 minutes and five seconds from now.

That patch helpfully prevents the game from launching.

I think they've already rolled it back now.

Tannhauser wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Anyway, another patch dropped. At this rate the game will be bug free in about three hours 17 minutes and five seconds from now.

That patch helpfully prevents the game from launching.

I think they've already rolled it back now.

Watching it happen on the TWI forums......It was like a million voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Yeah, 18 mb ninja patch was deninja'd.

I hate their forums. Hate them. Despise them. The people on there are toxic.

I generally avoid most official forums, except for support and whatnot, which is why I was there. And yeah, not a pretty sight.

Tannhauser wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Anyway, another patch dropped. At this rate the game will be bug free in about three hours 17 minutes and five seconds from now.

That patch helpfully prevents the game from launching.

I think they've already rolled it back now.

That is some ridiculous QA.

I am enjoying the game, but it is still littered with bugs. Some things, like see-through walls and floors when you go prone on them (or close to them) seem to be engine or model related and I have little hope that they will ever be fixed.

In my opinion, for all those on the fence about getting it, or becoming enabled, I'd say to wait. It's a good game, just that it's not quite there yet. Tripwire look like they're going to do good with it, but if you want a smooth experience I don't think now is the time.

What's the deal with advancements? One day I get up to Honor Level 16 and then the next day I'm level 4.

So a genius who will go unnamed discovered this evening that he had managed to not download and install this game yet despite the fact that pre-loading was available and it has been out since the beginning of the week. I've heard that his plans are to hang his head in shame for another, oh, 30 to 45 minutes and then proceed to give it a shot.

In totally unrelated news, I'm finally going to get a chance to play tonight! Hope some of you guys are still on when I make the decision entirely on my own terms when that will be.

Scratched wrote:

In my opinion, for all those on the fence about getting it, or becoming enabled, I'd say to wait. It's a good game, just that it's not quite there yet. Tripwire look like they're going to do good with it, but if you want a smooth experience I don't think now is the time.

Yeah, I am shelving this one for a while...Just had a crash while I had a 180+ point round going.

Was good times tonight. Stayed up way too late. I blame Gayrion and Gunner with a little on Hochosi as well. Ranalin gets nothing but hate from me for all the sniping kills. Forward Comrades!

Scratched wrote:

In my opinion, for all those on the fence about getting it, or becoming enabled, I'd say to wait. It's a good game, just that it's not quite there yet. Tripwire look like they're going to do good with it, but if you want a smooth experience I don't think now is the time.

In my opinion, for all those on the fence about getting it, think about it this way: if you buy this in a few months, everyone who is still playing will be very good at it and it may affect your enjoyment of it. You may not find as many 64 man servers in a few months either. Also, not everyone has gaming-breaking bugs and in my opinion, the gameplay is solid and smooth.

It's become my favorite shooter of the last two years. There are rage moments, sure, but virtual killing never felt so satisfying and hard-earned. I will definitely check out the new hotness that will be BF3, but they will be different games that suit different tastes.

In conclusion, do not let bugs and crashes prevent you from buying this soon. It's an amazing experience, one that I would recommend to anyone.

On an unrelated note, German weapons appear better, but it's the maps that determine the weight of matches. Generally speaking, defender always has the advantage, regardless of weapons.

Yea i'm loving the game, but honestly as soon as other games come out i'll drop it and probably wont come back.

I say that, but at the same time this really scratches my hardcore itch.

SpyNavy wrote:

Was good times tonight. Stayed up way too late. I blame Gayrion and Gunner with a little on Hochosi as well. Ranalin gets nothing but hate from me for all the sniping kills. Forward Comrades!

It's so hard to get in a position where you're able to cover so much ground, but it's entirely rewarding when you're able to take out a couple waves before you're finally flushed out.

Whew, I was definitely drunk by the end of the evening but I think I was still having fun. Good times and Hockosi's mom is actually an alright lady, despite the things I may have said (or think I said ... I don't remember at this point).

This is my mp game going forward. I'm a bit miffed at BF3 and EA and Valve's pissing contest, so right now I'm just going to ignore that game.

I got my first rifle kill from 160m last night, but by the end I don't think I could shoot someone from 20m. We have found the meta-game difficulty slider for RO2. Also, garion333 is a filthy teamkiller!