Hot Dogs -- The Great Debate I Never Knew About

Kerplunk wrote:

I asked my friend if he preferred ketchup or mustard on a hot dog and he replied, "Mayo."

Mayo.

I twitched and realized I didn't know him anymore.

Wow, grotesque.

I like many things on a hot dog. It entirely depends on what I see first, with the exception of cheese. There shall always be cheese, cheddar, mozza, processed slices, marble, Cheese Whiz... I don't really care.
Green relish, mayo, mustard (a little bit), ketchup, onions, tomatos, bacon, maybe some more cheese... mmmmm
Honestly 3 items is usually enough for me though.
Kielbasa is another ball game, cheese, sourkraut, and bacon. That is all you need after leaving the bar. (We have Kielbasa stands outside of our bars, those guys are rich rich rich.)

Kerplunk wrote:

I asked my friend if he preferred ketchup or mustard on a hot dog and he replied, "Mayo."

Mayo.

I twitched and realized I didn't know him anymore.

You know what? I think it's time we cast aside our ketchup partisanship and focus on this very real threat. Honestly, mayo? Why don't you just shoot my cat in the forehead and spit on my mother?

Minarchist wrote:

My wife and I almost divorced over this issue, but we're in counseling now (she is an anti-ketchup heathen). We still haven't resolved the issue of whether Hebrew Nationals or Nathan's are better, though (even though the answer is clearly Hebrew Nationals).

I like the cut of your jib, Minarchist.

I happen to be a Chicagoan so my vote counts double. Tripple if we are discussing hot dogs. Now, Ketchup does NOT go on hot dogs, that is for people unfit to understand how food should be correctly eaten. It would be like eating soup with a fork or using utensils for pizza. Now for other encased meats there can be a variety of toppings, I will direct you to Hot Dougs, a place that must be visited if you are anywhere within 100 miles of Chicago. The line is always out the door, pretty much everyday, all day. Here is the menu, make sure to read the weekly specials and the game of the week.

http://www.hotdougs.com/menu.htm

Podunk wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

My wife and I almost divorced over this issue, but we're in counseling now (she is an anti-ketchup heathen). We still haven't resolved the issue of whether Hebrew Nationals or Nathan's are better, though (even though the answer is clearly Hebrew Nationals).

I like the cut of your jib, Minarchist.

Sorry, that would be Sabrett hot dogs or Hebrew National. Nathan's just don't cut it anymore, unless you're at Coney Island.

NathanialG wrote:

I happen to be a Chicagoan so my vote counts double. Tripple if we are discussing hot dogs. Now, Ketchup does NOT go on hot dogs, that is for people unfit to understand how food should be correctly eaten. It would be like eating soup with a fork or using utensils for pizza. Now for other encased meats there can be a variety of toppings, I will direct you to Hot Dougs, a place that must be visited if you are anywhere within 100 miles of Chicago. The line is always out the door, pretty much everyday, all day. Here is the menu, make sure to read the weekly specials and the game of the week.

http://www.hotdougs.com/menu.htm

Hot Dougs is a marvelous place. I don't blame Midway Games for falling apart while headquartered across the street.

As Hot Doug's shows, there are all sorts of wonderful cased meats. I'm partial to a nicely grilled Polish with caramelized sweet onions and mustard, but a traditional Southside hot link shouldn't be denied. The rest of the Brewers racers are all acceptable. As for hot dogs, I accept three varieties:

1) Beef dogs (Vienna Beef or some other, usually Kosher, brand) done the Chicago Way. They put one of yours with the ketchup, you put one of theirs in the morgue.

2) Battered in corn meal and fried on a stick. In this event, ketchup is acceptable.

3) Balogna-esque factory "hot dogs" covered in chili, cheese and diced onion -- wherein the dog is used as filler much like bread crumbs in a meatloaf. If you have to eat one another way, it should be treated as an emergency situation, like drinking Budweiser. And you better not be paying money for it.

I'd sooner eat the filthy tortillas that New Yorkers call "pizza."

The two acceptable forms of eating hot dogs are the Chicago style and the Cincinnati / Skyline Chili style, which consists of chili (made with chocolate), diced onions, yellow mustard, and grated cheddar cheese. A lesser chili cheese dog is acceptable (barely) and only when your more than a four-hour drive from a Skyline.

Adding ketchup to a hot dog is like boiling bacon: you've taken one of the best foods in the world and made it sh*t.

Has anyone else ever used hot dogs themselves as a condiment, for example on a cheeseburger?

I believe in another thread I once mentioned the Goblin c*ck. Another awesome Chicago food establishment Kumas Korner has cheese burgers with a hot dog on it. Here is their amazing menu of Hamburgers.
http://www.kumas-corner.com/food.html

[OFF-TOPIC] I cannot make my girlfriend understand that a bratwurst is not a hot dog. The things she does with them are simply horrifying.

...I know what you're thinking, and you're disgusting.[/OFF-TOPIC]

NathanialG wrote:

I believe in another thread I once mentioned the Goblin C*ck.

Truly this product name is full of win. I don't know what it is -- my mind's eye is, luckily, blinded -- but the name evokes completely vivid descriptions. Not that I'd buy it or, God forbid, consume it, but its existence is proof of the overarching triumph of the human spirit.

Interesting thread - I'm grilling some hot dogs tonight, actually. The charcoal is lit right now.

On mine, I will have yellow mustard, sauerkraut, and sweet relish. Other, smaller, people in my house who are obviously not related to me will have their's with ketchup and I will try (probably unsuccessfully) to not comment on their lack of taste.

In honor of this thread tonight I will eat one Nathan's Hot Dog with nothing on it except Ketchup.

Here is a Goblin c*ck, Coldforged, since you are too lazy to read the menu I linked

GOBLIN c*ck Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, ¼lb. Vienna Hot Dog, Tomatoes, Onion, Neon Green Relish, Sport Peppers, Pickles, Celery Salt Mustard

Nathan's with Mr. Heinz's finest tomato ketchup and a liberal dose of tabasco. Or, a good tabasco mustard. With cheddar cheese in either case. Pickles and chopped onions optional.

Kerplunk wrote:

I asked my friend if he preferred ketchup or mustard on a hot dog and he replied, "Mayo."

Mayo.

I twitched and realized I didn't know him anymore.

Is he Dutch? I scorned the idea of mayo anywhere but a sandwich until I had some fries in Holland, served with a giant dollop of mayo, and I realised the intense greatness of it.

Elysium wrote:

In honor of this thread tonight I will eat one Nathan's Hot Dog with nothing on it except Ketchup.

I'm f*cking done with you professionally.

We haven't heard from Certis on this topic. I'm guessing that since Elysium supports ketchup, Certis will be in favor of... oh wait, he's Canadian. So he probably likes cheese curds or mayo on his dogs. Something foul and unholy, I'm sure.

NathanialG wrote:

I believe in another thread I once mentioned the Goblin c*ck. Another awesome Chicago food establishment Kumas Korner has cheese burgers with a hot dog on it. Here is their amazing menu of Hamburgers.
http://www.kumas-corner.com/food.html

This entire restaurant is completely full of win. Not only are the names -fantastic-, but one of the burgers has bourbon-soaked pears on it.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

We haven't heard from Certis on this topic. I'm guessing that since Elysium supports ketchup, Certis will be in favor of... oh wait, he's Canadian. So he probably likes cheese curds or mayo on his dogs. Something foul and unholy, I'm sure.

You obviously missed the Japadog link. Real Canadians put teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, and dried seaweed on their hotdogs.

muttonchop wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

We haven't heard from Certis on this topic. I'm guessing that since Elysium supports ketchup, Certis will be in favor of... oh wait, he's Canadian. So he probably likes cheese curds or mayo on his dogs. Something foul and unholy, I'm sure.

You obviously missed the Japadog link. Real Canadians put teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, and dried seaweed on their hotdogs.

we just put Ketchup on them, at least that's what I do but im not picky for what I want on my hotdog.

You people and your Chicago Dogs, bleh. I give you the Sonoran Dog:

IMAGE(http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/hellboy667/sonoran.jpg)

There are many variations, but in general, all Sonoran dogs are wrapped in bacon, placed in a soft Mexican bun and topped with numerous condiments such as beans, mustard, mayonnaise, onions, tomatoes, cheese and jalapenos.

Agent 86 wrote:

You people and your Chicago Dogs, bleh. I give you the Sonoran Dog:

IMAGE(http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/hellboy667/sonoran.jpg)

There are many variations, but in general, all Sonoran dogs are wrapped in bacon, placed in a soft Mexican bun and topped with numerous condiments such as beans, mustard, mayonnaise, onions, tomatoes, cheese and jalapenos.

And thus the source of the swine flu epidemic has been pinpointed.

Just start the jihad and see what happens.

Mustard, Onions and Cheese when not slathered in Chili are the only acceptable options for a true hot dog. Catsup is the devil's semen.

Brat's are another story altogether.

Elysium wrote:

In honor of this thread tonight I will eat one Nathan's Hot Dog with nothing on it except Ketchup.

Don't forget a well of ketchup on the side...you know just in case you feel like you need that extra dose of delicious ketchup.

IMAGE(http://www.sinoproducts.cn/Product_Pic/200612816532459921.jpg)

Great intelectual debates such as this are automatically entered into the Goodjer Commandments.

CEJ wrote:

Catsup is the devil's semen.

Anyone who spells it "catsup" automatically loses any and all authority.

SommerMatt wrote:
CEJ wrote:

Catsup is the devil's semen.

Anyone who spells it "catsup" automatically loses any and all authority.

IMAGE(http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/2005693959854649943_rs.jpg)