Hot Dogs -- The Great Debate I Never Knew About

Pages

Quintin_Stone wrote:
WipEout wrote:
I guess I should have been more specific in my question-- why so much hate for a ketchup on a basic cheap-o hot dog here in Chicago?

Chicago is kinda full of dicks, you know. ;)

"so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning."

IMHO the reason you don't put ketchup on a dog is that there are 50 other things that can go on a dog that are better.

In general I make this a rule for me. I'm willing to allow others some slack on this. Even though it's wrong.

Edit: also, I have always thought that Chicago dogs are vaguely wrong because they propose to put too many toppings on the hot dog. A single hot dog just can't support an entire salad.

CheezePavilion wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
WipEout wrote:
Why such hate for ketchup on a regular old Oscar Meyer-type hot dog?

Scroll down and click on the link that says "first page". Then read.

There's no understanding the hot dog snobs; only pitying them.

I only skimmed the thread, but did relish come up? It seems like the big deal was "on noes, the shuggah!" which...yeah what about relish?

Dare I mention the Octodog?

I mentioned Walter's in Mamaroneck (Westchester, NY) earlier - their dog has this great mustard relish on it:
IMAGE(http://www.roadfood.com/photos/1526.jpg)

When I was younger, I used to put crunchy peanut butter on my hot dogs. There was something about the salty and sweet mix, plus the crunch, plus the peanut butter melting over the dog...it was delicious.

NathanialG wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
WipEout wrote:
I guess I should have been more specific in my question-- why so much hate for a ketchup on a basic cheap-o hot dog here in Chicago?

Chicago is kinda full of dicks, you know. ;)

"so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning."

E Hunnie and I tend to hit places that, at worst, will specifically state that "with everything" includes all the classic Chicago toppings, and no ketchup. You can still order ketchup, and the worst you'll get is a sideways look from someone who overhears.

This just happened yesterday, in fact. Luckily, we had plenty of cred because I had just ordered a Polish with mustard and onions. I ordered peppers, too, but they seemed to grab an extra bag of fries on accident instead.

FACT: Any great dog/Polish stand will give you free fries with every sausage.

Have all the Chicagoans here had the pleasure of a real Maxwell-style walk-up joint?

psu_13 wrote:
IMHO the reason you don't put ketchup on a dog is that there are 50 other things that can go on a dog that are better.

In general I make this a rule for me. I'm willing to allow others some slack on this. Even though it's wrong.

Edit: also, I have always thought that Chicago dogs are vaguely wrong because they propose to put too many toppings on the hot dog. A single hot dog just can't support an entire salad.

This is exactly right RE: ketchup. Even on a $.99 dog, there are better things. Like chili, mustard and onions. And if you really just want a tomato based condiment, get some good bbq sauce instead; far and away superior to ketchup.

Oh, and as for chicago dogs being a salad, that's why you make the dog a salad.

Oh, and on the topic of large amounts of hot dog awesomeness: Chili Dog Casserole.

AnimeJ wrote:
psu_13 wrote:
IMHO the reason you don't put ketchup on a dog is that there are 50 other things that can go on a dog that are better.

In general I make this a rule for me. I'm willing to allow others some slack on this. Even though it's wrong.

Edit: also, I have always thought that Chicago dogs are vaguely wrong because they propose to put too many toppings on the hot dog. A single hot dog just can't support an entire salad.

This is exactly right RE: ketchup. Even on a $.99 dog, there are better things. Like chili, mustard and onions.

Just because something is better doesn't mean it should be used in all cases. I wonder if it's that ketchup people like to vary their condiment choices more.

Personally, I like all kinds of condiments, and sometimes I like three dogs: two mustards and one ketchup, with the ketchup dog in the middle of the meal to provide contrast.

And if you really just want a tomato based condiment, get some good bbq sauce instead; far and away superior to ketchup.

Again, it might be a matter of people who like to have the same thing all the time and people who like to vary things up. BBQ sauce makes me think of BBQ. I like leaving the BBQ sauce taste associated with BBQ and not associating it with hot dogs. I even like different mustard for my dogs than my sandwiches. (edit: well that and let's face it--a good red onion sauce is superior to BBQ sauce, ketchup and every single other condiment, but I see no reason not to live and let live)

Kinda like how you have people who only drink one brand of beer, and people who drink lots of different kinds. One isn't better than the other, just different strokes for different folks.

wordsmythe wrote:

FACT: Any great dog/Polish stand will give you free fries with every sausage.

Absolutely. Where we live we either have Parky's or Tasty Dog. Tasty Dog is pretty traditional, but the fries at Parky's are better and are free.

wordsmythe wrote:

Have all the Chicagoans here had the pleasure of a real Maxwell-style walk-up joint?

Yup, but none are close to us.

Also missing from the ketchup discussion is that there are better/less sweet ketchups than Hunts and Heinz.

That's like saying that pasta is not haute cuisine because all you've had is Kraft dinner.

Ranger Rick wrote:
That's like saying that pasta is not haute cuisine because all you've had is Kraft dinner.

Are you a secret Canadian???

For diner tonight, i'm having brats grilled, with kraut, and gluden's mustard. I also plan on picking up a delicious brew to go with them, as well as some baked beans. Going to be awesome.

Yoreel wrote:
For diner tonight, i'm having brats grilled, with kraut, and gluden's mustard. I also plan on picking up a delicious brew to go with them, as well as some baked beans. Going to be awesome.

There will be fart. Potentially epic fart.

Tanglebones wrote:
Yoreel wrote:
For diner tonight, i'm having brats grilled, with kraut, and gluden's mustard. I also plan on picking up a delicious brew to go with them, as well as some baked beans. Going to be awesome.

There will be fart. Potentially epic fart.

"I drink your Pepto! I drink it up!"

WipEout wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Yoreel wrote:
For diner tonight, i'm having brats grilled, with kraut, and gluden's mustard. I also plan on picking up a delicious brew to go with them, as well as some baked beans. Going to be awesome.

There will be fart. Potentially epic fart.

"I drink your Pepto! I drink it up!"

Nausea, Heartburn, Indigestion, Upset stomach, Daniel Day Lewis

Tanglebones wrote:
Yoreel wrote:
For diner tonight, i'm having brats grilled, with kraut, and gluden's mustard. I also plan on picking up a delicious brew to go with them, as well as some baked beans. Going to be awesome.

There will be fart. Potentially epic fart.

I also had baked beans at lunch as well. More fuel for the fire!

Pages