"Game on for Sony in Xbox's backyard" (local article)

From Seattle Times, 26 Apr.09:

'...

Three years into the great console war — the battle for billions of entertainment dollars spent on video gaming — Sony's PlayStation 3 lags far behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's quirky Wii.

By Brier Dudley

Seattle Times senior technology reporter

PREV of NEXT

GREG GILBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Brian Soderberg, a Boeing veteran who founded Sony subsidiary Zipper Interactive in Redmond, looks over scenes from "MAG." Up to 256 people at once will be able to play the new online military-themed action game.
Three years into the great console war — the battle for billions of entertainment dollars spent on video gaming — Sony's PlayStation 3 lags far behind Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's quirky Wii.

Chances of a Sony turnaround seem less likely than ever, given the weak economy and the PS3's relatively huge price tag — at $400, its entry-level price is double that of the Xbox.

But if it's going to happen, if the gaming goliath is to regain its footing, it may do so with help from a bunch of engineers in Seattle, many of whom left Microsoft to build their games in studios not far from Xbox headquarters.

It takes more than a few studios to change the game, so to speak, and Sony develops games around the world. But it has high hopes for potential blockbusters to emerge in coming months from the studios in Redmond and Bellevue it has acquired or partnered with in recent years.

"The bottom line is we go where the talent is, and it just so happens that a couple of our big ones are coming out of the Seattle area in the upcoming months," said Scott Rohde, San Diego-based vice president of studios at Sony Computer Entertainment America.

These game shops have kept a relatively low profile even as the Seattle area's reputation as a world hub for game development has grown.

Click here for rest of article.

Don't quote entire articles, guys. - Certis

Any reason why you didn't link the article from the newspaper site itself?

OzymandiasAV wrote:

Any reason why you didn't link the article from the newspaper site itself?

Because some folks can't link from where they are...been that way for many years. (and of course convenience)

$400 is twice as much as $250? Or did the X-Box Arcade version drop another $50 when I wasn't looking?

I disagree that they need to get Wii owners to buy a PS3. If they focus on the same market they'll be killed for the same reason. A Wii is $250 and a PS3 is still $400. How does competing in that space help them?

Botswana wrote:

$400 is twice as much as $250? Or did the X-Box Arcade version drop another $50 when I wasn't looking?

I disagree that they need to get Wii owners to buy a PS3. If they focus on the same market they'll be killed for the same reason. A Wii is $250 and a PS3 is still $400. How does competing in that space help them?

It dropped another $50 when you weren't looking.

This article reads a bit biased. Not going to go so far as to call it PR, but...

The Sony games coming out of Seattle are aimed directly at this demographic, and they're likely to be hits.
Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America wrote:

We believe that the family that's been involved in Wii gaming -- having a PS3 as the centerpiece of their living room is a great thing that the whole family can enjoy much the same way that you can enjoy Wii but perhaps on steroids; it does so much more.

That was a really nice article that completely missed the point. Sony's real problem is that they are being led by fools.

LobsterMobster wrote:

This article reads a bit biased. Not going to go so far as to call it PR, but...

The Sony games coming out of Seattle are aimed directly at this demographic, and they're likely to be hits.

It was a puff piece about a local company is the Sunday paper. Rah-rah! Go team!

Jayhawker wrote:
Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America wrote:

We believe that the family that's been involved in Wii gaming -- having a PS3 as the centerpiece of their living room is a great thing that the whole family can enjoy much the same way that you can enjoy Wii but perhaps on steroids; it does so much more.

That was a really nice article that completely missed the point. Sony's real problem is that they are being led by fools.

Are you suggesting that Sony's marketing ploy to warp reality and re-educate consumers was a failure?

What I ultimately got out of that article is that Sony is trying to catch up with big budget games that utilize the power of the PS3 over other systems. I really see that strategy as the beginning of a death spiral for the PS3. I'm sure you've all heard that before though...

LobsterMobster wrote:

This article reads a bit biased. Not going to go so far as to call it PR, but...

The Sony games coming out of Seattle are aimed directly at this demographic, and they're likely to be hits.

That just came across as standard mainstream reporting fluff to me; a clinical dissection of the PS3's failures retreads arguments found all over the internet, pisses off potential Sony-invested contacts in the business, and doesn't really earn him any new readers on the casual side either.

All that being said, I do think it's a little bit of crazy talk to suggest that inFamous will turn out to be this major blockbuster when most of the discourse surrounding it thus far has been built upon the game's similarities to another game coming out later this year (Prototype).

Donan wrote:
OzymandiasAV wrote:

Any reason why you didn't link the article from the newspaper site itself?

Because some folks can't link from where they are...been that way for many years. (and of course convenience)

Fair enough. I just thought it was odd that there was no link to the original article but, if that's the way that articles are typically posted around here, then no worries.

OzymandiasAV wrote:
Donan wrote:
OzymandiasAV wrote:

Any reason why you didn't link the article from the newspaper site itself?

Because some folks can't link from where they are...been that way for many years. (and of course convenience)

Fair enough. I just thought it was odd that there was no link to the original article but, if that's the way that articles are typically posted around here, then no worries.

I don't think it is, actually. In fact, posting entire articles is usually discouraged. Not linking to the source is bad form, since the producer of the material deserves the hits for putting out the information in the first place.

I think the usual way is to quote something of interest from an article, and then link to the source for the rest of it.

Sure, whatever. 2009 is the Year of the PS3.

Sony's marketing has been terrible in every respect except for making Sony Fanboys and GAF believe that every year is the "Year of the PS3!" Someone should get an award for that.

Jayhawker wrote:
Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America wrote:

We believe that the family that's been involved in Wii gaming -- having a PS3 as the centerpiece of their living room is a great thing that the whole family can enjoy much the same way that you can enjoy Wii but perhaps on steroids; it does so much more.

That was a really nice article that completely missed the point. Sony's real problem is that they are being led by fools.

I know that I enjoy family time better if we're all taking steroids.

mrwynd wrote:

What I ultimately got out of that article is that Sony is trying to catch up with big budget games that utilize the power of the PS3 over other systems. I really see that strategy as the beginning of a death spiral for the PS3. I'm sure you've all heard that before though...

We've also heard that they designed the PS3 to be so difficult to code for so that every time someone figures something out, it's like getting a free upgrade.

Kaz Hirai wrote:

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?

LobsterMobster wrote:
Kaz Hirai wrote:

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?

Focus on, I dunno, gameplay? Story?

Isn't it a good thing when pretty much any developer can create something on your platform? Why in the world would you want it to be difficult to make games for your system?!