I swear I thought I posted this, anyway:
A good twitter account to check for news about the Swine flu epidemic in Mexico:
Key facts :
* You don't get it from eating pork =/ it's like a flu in terms of contagion (sneezing, touching, etc), goes thru humans. Kills people of any age, not just old guys. Last confirmed case was 24 years old guy with no real health issues.
* 81 confirmed dead out of 1,300 cases in Mexico City (6% mortality rate... so far). A private doctor says it's more like 200 cases, and I'd believe him cos Mexican officials always lie about things like these.
* Kansas, California and NY City confirmed to have cases, possible case in Canada
* In Mexico: Baja California, Mexico City, San Luis Potosí, Veracruz are the main cities that have it. Possible states that have it - Jalisco (my own ) and Michoacán.
* How to avoid it: No one really knows, so just regular precautions for the flu - wash hands, use a breathing surgical mask (however it's called in english), eat right, rest, etc etc. Avoid places with lots of people.
* How to know if you have it: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investig...
General symptoms for influenza, with added super fever (38.5 °C or more), headaches, and clogged airways, like pneumonia. Progresses really fast, and if your immune system isnt strong enough it will kill you in about a week or less*.
* Treatment? Who knows, tamiflu is being used but it's sold out in every pharmacy. Antipyretics for the fever, but really they recommend going to a hospital.
* Vaccine? Maybe, there's vaccines being applied to health care workers but not confirmed if it's effective against this new virus.
* How new is this virus? They say it's a totally new strain born from avian+swine+human flu. It went public on the 24th (friday), state of emergency in Mexico and the rest of the world on the 25th.
Off the record I've heard some doctors say they knew about it for at least 3 weeks but werent' sure what to make of it.
* Government doing anything about it? In Mexico, classes at all levels were canceled until may 6th, along with any public events. That's about all I know they're doing.
**** Edit: I've also heard that this virus kills you depending on how strong your immune system is, that is if you're healthy, your system overreacts which is why people from 18 to 50 years old are dying instead of the usual 60+