[WoW] AH "antics"

Or, you could just not lie to people and instead ask for 275.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Or, you could just not lie to people and instead ask for 275. ;)

No, it's true. I am still working toward my epic mount. If I spend the money for it now, I'm uncomfortably low on funds to continue doing business.
And I'm also saving for my other 2 epic flights and another basic flight and 2 more Northrend flights.
Besides, I was perfectly happy selling it at 250. A little nicety and a little hint that I'm saving up and folks are more than happy to toss in a bit extra. I know they lowballed my asking price, they know they lowballed it. Instead of playing hardball and missing a sale or trying to haggle when most folks don't like doing that, I go for the sale and allude to needing more dough.

I'm happy because I made a little extra, they're happy because they're helping me out and it's a pleasant experience for all.

Whatever you need to tell yourself man... when you have 10k gold you are not saving for an epic mount.

duckilama wrote:

So, by breaking the eternals into crystallized, I get about 48% more profit because I can sell 10 Crystallized for 19.99g but 1 Eternal will only sell for 13.99g.

You don't even have to get a great deal in /trade like I did for this to work.
Currently, Eternals are listing at 14-15g, Crystallized at ~25 per 10.

Crazy.

What other fun AH quirks have you guys noticed.

And yes, I realize this is because miners have an odd number of Crystallized fire that they want to use to smelt Titansteel. The smart miner would buy the etneral and break it down and just hang on to his Crystallized. C'est la vie.

For some reason, on my server cobalt bars sell for an average of 31g a stack, but the cobalt ore sells for around 22g a stack. I've been buying stacks of the ore, shipping them off to my miner and then reselling the bars for about two months now without the market fluctuation more than a few gold either way. How has no one else noticed this on my server?

For some reason, on my server cobalt bars sell for an average of 31g a stack, but the cobalt ore sells for around 22g a stack

How may bars to an ore? If it's 1:1, that's bass-ackwards.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Whatever you need to tell yourself man... when you have 10k gold you are not saving for an epic mount. :P

Oh, I'm not lying to myself, either. I can afford my main's epic flight+mount. But I am also saving for (other) epic flights.
Technically, true.

My main point was, a little nicety and politeness goes a long way. Don't grudgingly settle for less than you are willing to sell for.
Be willing to turn folks away. I've turned away a good half of the people that send me tells because they are not just lowballing me, they're giving themselves scrotal splinters.

Be nice, that's all. Happy salesmen sell more.

duckilama wrote:
For some reason, on my server cobalt bars sell for an average of 31g a stack, but the cobalt ore sells for around 22g a stack

How may bars to an ore? If it's 1:1, that's bass-ackwards.

Yeah, cobalt is 1:1.

Saronite, on the other hand, is 2:1, and stacks of ore average 30g, whereas the bars average 45g. Which also seems weird, just not in my favor.

Saronite is easy to figure.
20 ore = 30g
20 bar = 45g (essentially 40 ore = 45g)

You'd think 20 bars is 60g (2x) but bars are not as useful.
Ore can be used for Prospecting by JCs, levelling(probably) mining via smelting.
People love their Scarlet Rubies, so ore is more valuable.

Logically ore is more useful but in my experience the bars always sell faster and at consistantly higher prices (due to engineers and blacksmiths who don't want to spend time mining, I guess), which is why I viewed the price of saronite bars as anomalous.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Whatever you need to tell yourself man... when you have 10k gold you are not saving for an epic mount. :P

True. I'm saving up to buy Ironforge.

ruhk wrote:

Logically ore is more useful but in my experience the bars always sell faster and at consistently higher prices ...

I guess that depends. When it comes to the low-end stuff (from Thorium on down) on my server, the ore always sells faster and at higher prices than the bars.

What I still can't believe is the price of herbs. I dusted off my herbin' druid and have been running him around Ashenvale for the past few days. I just unloaded bruiseweed, mageroyal and briarthorn for about 60-65 silver per piece.

From a business standpoint, I think it's more time- and cost-efficient to die and make the corpse run than to stop and kill the mobs for the pathetic handful of coppers they might drop.

Wow. You guys are the reason I don't do business in /trade and stay away from buying on the AH as much as possible.

Not meant to be condemnation, merely an observation that I'm WAY outplayed in both arenas.

NSMike wrote:

Wow. You guys are the reason I don't do business in /trade and stay away from buying on the AH as much as possible.

If you're trying to save money, you're smart to stay as far away from the AH as you can. A toon and his pixelated gold are soon parted there.

It's a patience thing. You can get some gems on the AH but it takes a fair bit of time learning a specific market and being willing to use the bid feature rather than the buyout feature. if you realize a raid starts in 30 minutes and you don't have flasks, you're at the mercy of whoever run the flask market.

Actually, you can get some real deals in /trade too -- people tend to set their rates by the auction house (see ducki's example where he does this intentionally) but they always back off when you remind them that the AH takes 10% profit off the top (tip -- it only takes 5%, but people rarely question it) -- that plus people's tendency to want to get rid of their item before they log lets you really steal things from /trade.

So....if your point is that generally speaking, people making profits on the AH and in /trade are big douchebags, I think the examples speak for themselves.

Enix wrote:

What I still can't believe is the price of herbs. I dusted off my herbin' druid and have been running him around Ashenvale for the past few days. I just unloaded bruiseweed, mageroyal and briarthorn for about 60-65 silver per piece.

The mageroyal might sell for more, if people are making Delicious Chocolate cake, which takes 3.

Seth wrote:

So....if your point is that generally speaking, people making profits on the AH and in /trade are big douchebags, I think the examples speak for themselves. :)

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Mike's point. But I'll admit to playing one in WoW. Take the guy who bought my Heavy Knothide Armor kits at 12G and relisted them at 20G. I listed more at 13G, then 14G -- he bought those, too. Then I listed some at 15G -- he stopped buying, but I sold a few to others because I was still the low price. When his auctions expired, he underbid me, I underbid him, etc. etc. I'm just about out of armor kits, but he's probably still try to sell the ones he bought from me.

We can play this game all day! Which I think was Mike's point.

@ Katy: D'oh! Children's Week -- I got my pet on one toon, sold out my cakes and forgot it was still going on. But that doesn't explain why other herbs not named Mageroyal sell for astounding rates. I guess it's Alchemy and Inscription. I need to check the potions market to see if I can make more cash there.

Or it might be herbing, which seems to take forever compared to mining.

Enix wrote:

What I still can't believe is the price of herbs. I dusted off my herbin' druid and have been running him around Ashenvale for the past few days. I just unloaded bruiseweed, mageroyal and briarthorn for about 60-65 silver per piece.

Herb value on my server seems to have tanked recently. I'm lucky to see a stack of any of those for more than a few gold. I remember back in the golden days after inscription was first introduced and prices skyrocketed overnight, though. I had an herbalist/alchemist who was stockpiling herbs, when the patch dropped I ran to the AH and made almost two thousand gold in two days.

I decided to start a Blood Elf to try the cross-faction-trafficking-pet-market, along with other things.
Then I decided rather than flooding this thread with image-heavy posts, that I'd just blog it.

This is not the next Greedy Goblin. It's just a way for me to document what I am doing, to help me keep track of it, and to share with you guys.
It's an experiment in starting from scratch. No twinking with money, bags, nothing. Level 1, on his own. At least until I start trafficking pets and other goods back and forth.
He's level 13 now. (Tour Guide + WoW-Pro's TourGuide plugin rock.)

http://ahantics.blogspot.com/ for those that have interest. (Note, I am not really a writer. Maybe this will help me improve, but don't expect BRK quality writing.)

Check out this little tool - Toplists - you can see top lists of multiple categories, from the Official WoW site. I linked the "Auctions Sold" version. Shows a list of the top gajillion items sold on the auction house, from the only people with that actual data - Blizzard.

I do wish you could break it out by server, though. Sure, it's nice to know that almost 10,000 Books of Glyph Mastery sold yesterday, but how many of those were on my sever?
Anyway, neat tool to see, in aggregate, what people *actually* buy in any appreciable volume from the AH.

Back in 2.x I did an experiment starting a lvl 1 and seeing how quickly I could get him to 100g. I actually stopped at 15g but it would have been easy. I wanted this to be a *trading* test, so basic rules were he couldnt complete quests or kill anything, or receive gifts or "charity" money. So basically you sold all the armor you start with and use that to buy and sell crud on AH (I was thinking /trade was allowed, but actually didn't bother using it, selling pets etc would have been allowed too but again I didnt).

It was fun and educational I also learned alot about auctioneer doing it. I got alot more satisfaction from turning 13copper into 1silver than the usual auctions I was dealing with on my main hehe.

I've discovered I'm the only one on my server reselling Ancona Chickens. I've been buying them up at 1g each at the Mirage Raceway, then reselling them for 14g. usually sell two or three a day. Started doing the same thing with my horde toon on a different server, but there's competition and I don't get quite as much for it. Prairie dog whistles are good sellers on the neutral house; there's someone on the horde AH who usually has about 20 of them listed for 80s, which I'm sure dealing in volume is a tidy sum, but I'd prefer smaller inventory and a little higher profit per sale.

Strewth wrote:

I've discovered I'm the only one on my server reselling Ancona Chickens.

Oooo, that's a good one. I usually have a toon out that way. I'll have to scoop some up.

Speaking of pets, someone was hawking one of the ones you get from Champions Seals for 4,700 gold. That puts the WOW! into WoW.

Enix wrote:
Strewth wrote:

I've discovered I'm the only one on my server reselling Ancona Chickens.

Oooo, that's a good one. I usually have a toon out that way. I'll have to scoop some up.

Speaking of pets, someone was hawking one of the ones you get from Champions Seals for 4,700 gold. That puts the WOW! into WoW.

I've seen them going for 7 or 8 thousand gold on the auction house. The horde ones on the alliance AH, anyways. The alliance ones are averaging around 3000g right now.