Batman: Arkham Asylum Catch-All

Those thugs don't strike me as being at the top of the henchman gene pool, particularly when they start chickening out.

Edwin wrote:

Was I the only one who was bothered by no one looking up to see if Batman was there?

They'll shoot at you up there if they see you swoop up, but that's about it. I think we are to assume that the upper parts of the rooms are really much darker than they appear, like in Double Agent. Both Fisher and Batman need darkness to be complete.

'sides. No one ever looks up.

Just played it-- thought it was pretty fun, but I might have been more impressed if the gameplay didn't seem so identical to the WATCHMEN game (yes, I'm the one person who bought it).

The camera gets a little too close some times, making it rather difficult to maneuver, but otherwise I had no issues. I was never a huge fan of the BTAS show (yes, I'm the one person who didn't like it all that much), so that tie-in doesn't do much of anything for me especially with the vastly different art style. I thought the graphics were fine, for the most part, but Batman walks like he is balancing a book on his head.

Fun demo, worth a download and playthrough (probably won't buy it unless it drops under $30, though). Not sure what people who are complaining about the demo lacking "meat" actually wanted/expected from these first intro levels.

Lex Cayman wrote:

This is why I just can't get behind the 360. I recently bought one, but I still prefer my PC. I logged on to download the demo from Live, and I got the gold only message. I immediately downloaded it on my PC where the internet is still free.

XBOX Live should only have a timed exclusive on demos when the game IS an exclusive. Not having the Batman demo for Silver members makes the 360 look retarded.

SommerMatt wrote:

Just played it-- thought it was pretty fun, but I might have been more impressed if the gameplay didn't seem so identical to the WATCHMEN game (yes, I'm the one person who bought it).

Apples and Oranges. Watchmen was ugly, the combat and enemies dumb, the gameplay too shallow.

I tried out the PC demo tonight and really dug it. The combat animations looked pretty cool and varied to me. The one thing that kept bothering me (and this is stupid) was the unending supply of batarangs. I mean, how many of those things does he have tucked away?

It seemed that they gave you quite a few ways to do things, which woudl be cool for replayability. I found that I ended up leaving the "Detective Vision" on all the time though.

interstate78 wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

Just played it-- thought it was pretty fun, but I might have been more impressed if the gameplay didn't seem so identical to the WATCHMEN game (yes, I'm the one person who bought it).

Apples and Oranges. Watchmen was ugly, the combat and enemies dumb, the gameplay too shallow.

...and the enemies in this Batman demo WEREN'T?

Look, no one is arguing that the Batman demo wasn't a superior seeming product (it should be, for $60 as opposed to $19.99), but the general feel and gameplay were very similar (right down to the "tap A" to pull off grates/open doors/etc.) to the Watchmen game.

More like "dehydrated apples and fresh, juicy apples."

SommerMatt wrote:
interstate78 wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

Just played it-- thought it was pretty fun, but I might have been more impressed if the gameplay didn't seem so identical to the WATCHMEN game (yes, I'm the one person who bought it).

Apples and Oranges. Watchmen was ugly, the combat and enemies dumb, the gameplay too shallow.

...and the enemies in this Batman demo WEREN'T?

Well, I don't know for sure if they're dumber than the Watchmen villains, but they sure did seem very chickensh*t once the chips were down.

I was very impressed by the demo.

The voice-acting was superb. The Joker and Batman must be done well, and they were. They sounded exactly the way those two characters should. And the writing is such classic Batman. Excellent stuff.

The feel of the combat and stealth was also excellent. This is one of those games which is very "game-y" in that it makes no real illusions towards realism. But in trade it seems to gain excellent mechanics. There is no question about what you need to do at any point in the demo. It is always completely apparent. Need to be stealthy? Use gargoyles. Need to fight? X and Y are your buddies. Very stream-lined.

So, the demo has hooked me, but I'm not reeled in quite yet. I'll wait for a few reviews. As has already been said $60 dollars is a lot. This could be an excellent game and well worth it, but a decent demo isn't enough to defeat my ingrained skepticism of franchise tie-ins.

SommerMatt wrote:

...and the enemies in this Batman demo WEREN'T?

Look, no one is arguing that the Batman demo wasn't a superior seeming product (it should be, for $60 as opposed to $19.99), but the general feel and gameplay were very similar (right down to the "tap A" to pull off grates/open doors/etc.) to the Watchmen game.

More like "dehydrated apples and fresh, juicy apples."

I played both demos and only in Batman did I manage to die. A few rounds in the buttocks and I'm dead. Watchmen didn't have enemies that can kill you, it was a pure brawler. Batman does have a detective mode, I liked what I saw so far but I think it will be used for greater challenges.

Faceless Clock wrote:

So, the demo has hooked me, but I'm not reeled in quite yet. I'll wait for a few reviews. As has already been said $60 dollars is a lot. This could be an excellent game and well worth it, but a decent demo isn't enough to defeat my ingrained skepticism of franchise tie-ins.

You can get it for $48 shipped at Amazon.com if you pre-order ($53) and enter the code 5OFFARKM at checkout for -$5. Free shipping also included.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss__...

It's funny, but there's also an exclusive free comic that ships with Amazon orders. It's supposed to be a prequel setup for the game intro. The weird part is that they're not playing it up too much, as I didn't notice it until I reviewed my preorder.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...

IMAGE(http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/batman_arkham_aslyum_Amazon-Cover_470x600.jpg)

IMAGE(http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/Batman_Arkham_CustomComic-Page-2_466x600.jpg)

Wow. What an awesome game. I love the combat, stealth and grappling hook. The voice acting and story seems spot on and I am really digging it.

I will definitely be buying this for the PC since it runs like butter on my not-so-top-notch machine. The unreal engine always runs well. Looks a lot more crisp than the 360 and is cheaper.

Tried. And yeah it does remind me alot of that first Watchmen game from a combat point of view; fight the same five character models, rinse and repeat. I also see the Bioshock influence too. Very much so. All in all I got a kind of Meh impression from it.

Another one of those games that if it was coming out for $30 or $40 I'd buy it for the Hey Hey of it, but at $60 it becomes a weekend rental or a wait a month and buy it at Amazon for $35.99 on sale type of deal.

I played the demo on the PS3. It was OK. I'm a bit confused as to why people are so excited about it, though. Did anyone else feel like Batman was a bit stiff?

Of course, I'm a new game whore, so if I find myself in a Best Buy the week it releases, I'll probably grab it.

TheCounselor wrote:

I played the demo on the PS3. It was OK. I'm a bit confused as to why people are so excited about it, though. Did anyone else feel like Batman was a bit stiff?

Yeah especially when just walking down a corridor. Almost like he was a character from Final Fight.

I've never even seen a screenshot of the Watchmen game and I loved the Arkham Asylum demo. I'll definitely be picking it up on Steam.

TheCounselor wrote:

I played the demo on the PS3. It was OK. I'm a bit confused as to why people are so excited about it, though.

For me everything just clicked almost instantly.

-The surprisingly cinematic opening 'ride to Arkham Asylum' set a dark mood, that is unquestionably Gotham City and Batman. The Asylum itself sports an incredibly moody mix of modern tech and Gothic architecture.

-Detective Mode looks great and mixes up exploration segments. I'm already seeing notes from Metroid and BioShock (i.e. inaccessible doors, walls, vents, etc. that you unlock later as you upgrade weapons).

-The character models are just gorgeous. They've got a weight and heft, and the texture work both in game and cut scene is stupid-detailed.

-Animations are great in combat and out (the Joker and his female '2nd in command' look absolutely stunning during their cut scenes). Also, the small details like zooming in on your downed unconscious baddies and noticing that they're still breathing.

-Combat/stealth actions are simple and fluid. Whether going fisticuffs or stalking my prey from above, everything happens fast and fluid. I feel in control and deadly, like the Dark Knight himself.

-Unlockables (statues, bios, chatter-teeth) are always a plus in my book, as they encourage me to pour over an environment and take in the beauty, and the supplementary material makes it feel like the developer went the extra mile (heard the Joker therapy tapes yet [accessed of his bio page]).

-Excellent voice work across the board. I understand that it's the full cast from the 90's animated series, and while I never watched it personally, I know the series was well respected and it shows here in the voice work. Plus, Luke Skywalker playing The Joker? Yes, please!

-Along with voice talent, the story...or writing at least...seems great so far, based on hearing The Joker's teasing of Batman.

-Just a taste of gadget use with the Batarang (sp.) and grappling hook.

-Reviews are saying the campaign is 12 hours long, and that's damn respectable for something this pretty and polished.

Anyway, the demo is pretty damn short, but these are some things I walked away with. Everything feels polished, gelled and just right. I'm amazed how much I enjoyed the demo and think it rivals BioShock's demo in unexpected-surprise factor.

TheCounselor wrote:

I played the demo on the PS3. It was OK. I'm a bit confused as to why people are so excited about it, though. Did anyone else feel like Batman was a bit stiff?

Of course, I'm a new game whore, so if I find myself in a Best Buy the week it releases, I'll probably grab it.

To be fair I think he moves quite realistically for someone encased in that level of rubber and body-armour
I think they balanced the 'weight' of him with the fluid combat quite well.

Aaron D. wrote:

Anyway, the demo is pretty damn short, but these are some things I walked away with. Everything feels polished, gelled and just right. I'm amazed how much I enjoyed the demo and think it rivals BioShock's demo in unexpected-surprise factor.

Personally I think it's always a good sign when you want to play through a demo multiple times and still aren't bored with it, as is the case for me here.

A nice touch is the way Joker chastises and taunts his own men with random comments as your picking them off in the final scene of the demo area "only two left...I wonder which one of you will get picked off next!"

Animations are great in combat and out (the Joker and his female '2nd in command' look absolutely stunning during their cut scenes). Also, the small details like zooming in on your downed unconscious baddies and noticing that they're still breathing.

I think I would have liked Harley in her usual getup (she looks just a smidge too much like a copy of Jeanette from VtM: Bloodlines here :p) and they ALL look like they've been at the steroids a bit - but overall not too shabby. Keeps it distinct from other incarnations of the characters if nothing else.

The Stiff running didn't bother me, as it put "nanananananan nanana" in my head.

Aaron D. wrote:

-Excellent voice work across the board. I understand that it's the full cast from the 90's animated series, and while I never watched it personally, I know the series was well respected and it shows here in the voice work. Plus, Luke Skywalker playing The Joker? Yes, please!

Damn, no wonder the voice acting is good.

If most of the Arkham Asylum game is just the Joker laughing while Batman throws down, I'll still think it's one of the best voiced games of the year.

It would be awesome if House Party at Arkham Asylum was inserted into this game somehow. I think I'd die laughing.

Rat Boy wrote:

If most of the Arkham Asylum game is just the Joker laughing while Batman throws down, I'll still think it's one of the best voiced games of the year.

I think this description seems a) entirely accurate, if the demo is any indication; and b) the most perfect Batman game from my fever dreams.

Which is a good thing.

You know, maybe Gotham City'd have a lower recidivism rate if they didn't send all of their supercriminals to a nightmarish, Cthulu-esque cesspool.

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo since I was not tracking the game. Once my gaming budget recovers I'll be looking to pick this up for 360. The last Batman game I can recall enjoying was the original one for the NES. Great music on Stage 1.. The Advantage even cover it!

SommerMatt wrote:

You know, maybe Gotham City'd have a lower recidivism rate if they didn't send all of their supercriminals to a nightmarish, Cthulu-esque cesspool.

haha...that would make too much sense.

As for the demo, I'm gonna give it another shot. I skipped the cutscenes, and only gave it a couple minutes my first time through.

TheCounselor wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

You know, maybe Gotham City'd have a lower recidivism rate if they didn't send all of their supercriminals to a nightmarish, Cthulu-esque cesspool.

haha...that would make too much sense.

DEMO SPOILER!:

Yeah, I kind of laughed to myself after Batman knocked out the villain who had the prison guard strapped to the electric chair.

So the baddie is incapacitated. I can't remember his name but he's relevant enough to have his own Bio page, and reading it reveals that he carves a notch on himself every time he kills an innocent (guess this guy's a cutter). After you take him down, there's another guard sitting over the body of a fellow downed comrade (deceased). If you press 'A' he spouts a few lines of bitterness over the unconscious psychopath.

Among the lines are words to the effect of; "There's one more notch he'll add to the hundreds he already has!" and "I can't believe we let an animal like this live.". Also, if you talk to the female therapist with the German accent who is calming the guy in the electric chair, she assures Batman that even though the psycho has killed hundreds, she feels she can "cure" him in due time...Yeah right.

In the real world, this "cop-killer" would have been filled with so much lead (after being downed by Batman), that dental records wouldn't even identify the body.

END DEMO SPOILER!

Tempest SMd me this morning to try out the demo and it's pretty damn good, even if I'm not really a fan of Batman. The fighting is satisfying, the cut scenes are top-notch, and the game makes you feel like a badass. I'll try the 360 demo to see if I'll get this on PC or 360, it seems very console-ish to me.

I'm normally not one to totally nitpick gaming conventions, but using "gargoyles" in this game is pretty ridiculous. Why on earth would they be INSIDE a building, and in such copious quantites?