Questions you want answered.

Does anyone just buy a new printer, rather than replace low ink?

Just spent $60 on new ink for our HP 5510. Black now won't print, tried two new cartridges and every trick the Internet had to offer but no luck. On top of that, the three brand new colour cartridges are apparently running low after printing no more than a dozen test pages—pretty far off the mark of their 250-300 page yield.

Now Future Shop/Best Buy have a Canon MG3520 on sale for $40. Print, scan, wireless, AirPrint, everything our HP does—and more. I mean print black.

It's a stupid thing to have to do, but it really does look like the better value. Anyone else do it seriously?

RolandofGilead wrote:

brown hair == brunettes
blondes
redheads
?
What word or phrase do you use to refer to people with black hair, women in particular?

Witches?

Jonman wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:

brown hair == brunettes
blondes
redheads
?
What word or phrase do you use to refer to people with black hair, women in particular?

Witches?

Attractive

Some say "raven-haired"

clover wrote:

You could say "raven-haired", but that's not an official thing.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some say "raven-haired"

Q-Stone, ya filthy skimmer.

Gravey wrote:

Does anyone just buy a new printer, rather than replace low ink?

Just spent $60 on new ink for our HP 5510. Black now won't print, tried two new cartridges and every trick the Internet had to offer but no luck. On top of that, the three brand new colour cartridges are apparently running low after printing no more than a dozen test pages—pretty far off the mark of their 250-300 page yield.

Now Future Shop/Best Buy have a Canon MG3520 on sale for $40. Print, scan, wireless, AirPrint, everything our HP does—and more. I mean print black.

It's a stupid thing to have to do, but it really does look like the better value. Anyone else do it seriously?

Yes, I went through this stupid cycle a few times and then said screw it and bought a Brother B&W laser printer and never looked back. It has been four years and I haven't missed a color inkjet. We have a little photo printer we got free with a laptop purchase that my wife drags out every six months or so to print a few photos.

Eleima wrote:
clover wrote:

You could say "raven-haired", but that's not an official thing.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some say "raven-haired"

Q-Stone, ya filthy skimmer. ;)

I confess but will not apologize. NO RAGRETS!

LeapingGnome wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Does anyone just buy a new printer, rather than replace low ink?

Just spent $60 on new ink for our HP 5510. Black now won't print, tried two new cartridges and every trick the Internet had to offer but no luck. On top of that, the three brand new colour cartridges are apparently running low after printing no more than a dozen test pages—pretty far off the mark of their 250-300 page yield.

Now Future Shop/Best Buy have a Canon MG3520 on sale for $40. Print, scan, wireless, AirPrint, everything our HP does—and more. I mean print black.

It's a stupid thing to have to do, but it really does look like the better value. Anyone else do it seriously?

Yes, I went through this stupid cycle a few times and then said screw it and bought a Brother B&W laser printer and never looked back. It has been four years and I haven't missed a color inkjet. We have a little photo printer we got free with a laptop purchase that my wife drags out every six months or so to print a few photos.

Being in the industry, I can honestly say you should avoid ink printers unless you use them all the time. Conversely, laser printers use toner, which expires, but your overall cost per copy is going to be significantly lower, but again, if you are not printing regularly and using up the toner within about a year, you may have issues. If you are going to use a laser printer, remember to buy toners that will not expire before you use up the toner, regardless of how much cheaper per copy the high yield toner cartridges are.

With regards to yield, many people have the mistaken impression that the number of copies printed is for full pages. Most page ratings refer to only 5% page coverage, which means you will likely get far less than the displayed rating if you are printing full color, full page images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC...

I was going to start asking questions about what "all the time" can mean, inkjet versus toner, and read that Wiki article etc but aw f*ck it I'll just buy a new printer. And when that printer runs out of ink, I'll buy another new printer. We print a lot during the school year, but not much during summer. I don't if we print enough during the school year. But for $40 it's not worth it to try to figure out the scam that is home printing.

Gravey wrote:

I'll just buy a new printer. And when that printer runs out of ink, I'll buy another new printer.

IMAGE(http://kartriter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/captain-planet-2c.jpg)

Don't worry, Kwame, we take our old electronics to the appropriate recycling depot.

Gravey wrote:

I was going to start asking questions about what "all the time" can mean, inkjet versus toner, and read that Wiki article etc but aw f*ck it I'll just buy a new printer. And when that printer runs out of ink, I'll buy another new printer. We print a lot during the school year, but not much during summer. I don't if we print enough during the school year. But for $40 it's not worth it to try to figure out the scam that is home printing.

The ink cartridges that are included with the printer are for very few copies, depending on the printer, FYI. They have it all priced out to where you are not saving money really, but you are likely to save some hassle.

There are also businesses that will refill your empty cartridge. I've never tried them myself.

Dakuna wrote:
Gravey wrote:

I was going to start asking questions about what "all the time" can mean, inkjet versus toner, and read that Wiki article etc but aw f*ck it I'll just buy a new printer. And when that printer runs out of ink, I'll buy another new printer. We print a lot during the school year, but not much during summer. I don't if we print enough during the school year. But for $40 it's not worth it to try to figure out the scam that is home printing.

The ink cartridges that are included with the printer are for very few copies, depending on the printer, FYI. They have it all priced out to where you are not saving money really, but you are likely to save some hassle.

Yeah, I'm a being a bit facetious, but the general idea remains the same—as soon as the printer is out of warranty, just replace it when it runs out of ink, rather than roll the dice on new ink for an out-of-warranty printer. ClockworkHouse tries to appeal to my bleeding heart liberal sensibilities, but I'll take value over hassle in this case. My previous printer lived for about six years, so it's frustrating to see this one die after two—and it's still a perfectly functioning wireless scanner.

Next question: Anyone need a really bulky scanner?

Quintin_Stone wrote:

There are also businesses that will refill your empty cartridge. I've never tried them myself.

I tried it in my local printer refill thing. I checked up on prices for new cartridges before, and they quoted me a price a little lower than the manufacturer cartridge, but much higher than the non manufacturer brand.

mooosicle wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

There are also businesses that will refill your empty cartridge. I've never tried them myself.

I tried it in my local printer refill thing. I checked up on prices for new cartridges before, and they quoted me a price a little lower than the manufacturer cartridge, but much higher than the non manufacturer brand.

I believe using unbranded or refilled cartridges voids your warranty, so bear that in mind when considering your options.

I always used refills for my old printer (Canon i860). This HP 5510 refuses to takes generic/refilled cartridges, one more checkbox on my screed.

Some printer makers actually code some kind of DRM chips into their cartridges to prevent off-brand ones from working.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some printer makers actually code some kind of DRM chips into their cartridges to prevent off-brand ones from working.

Yeah, that was exactly it. I used cheap refills without an issue for eight years with my old printer, so I don't see how chipping them improves the experience for the user, especially when the printer conks out after two years of using the approved ink anyway.

Man, there's a lot of gold to be mined here. Has anyone ever complained about printers before?

Gravey wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some printer makers actually code some kind of DRM chips into their cartridges to prevent off-brand ones from working.

Yeah, that was exactly it. I used cheap refills without an issue for eight years with my old printer, so I don't see how chipping them improves the experience for the user, especially when the printer conks out after two years of using the approved ink anyway.

Man, there's a lot of gold to be mined here. Has anyone ever complained about printers before?

Bad joke mad libs?

"My mother-in-law is like a printer....."

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some printer makers actually code some kind of DRM chips into their cartridges to prevent off-brand ones from working.

I used those "refill yourself" syringes to fill up my emptied OEM cartridges. There was some neat workarounds that would allow you do refill them even though it says not to. THEY WANT MOAR MONIES!

What if Bioshock made an X-Men game....

pinkdino99 wrote:

What if Bioshock made an X-Men game....

It would probably be wildly inaccurate, and most certainly noncanonical, since BioShock takes place in 1960 and The X-Men weren't created until 1963. That's if it could even be created, as psychopathic hallucinating splicers are notoriously poor team workers and probably don't posses the technical or creative skills—or if they do, are severely compromised by their mental instabilities—necessary to begin, let alone complete, a cohesive game design.

Or did you mean Freedom Force?

cartoonin99 wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Some printer makers actually code some kind of DRM chips into their cartridges to prevent off-brand ones from working.

I used those "refill yourself" syringes to fill up my emptied OEM cartridges. There was some neat workarounds that would allow you do refill them even though it says not to. THEY WANT MOAR MONIES!

Costco refills MANY different Ink carts for about $10.00 a piece. They even change the little security chip for you.

misplacedbravado wrote:

I put something up on eBay, the auction ended Wednesday, and I just got a message from the winning bidder to the effect of "I'm not going to be buying this, I found another one cheaper."

This is a new situation to me, and I'm not sure what to do about it beyond reminding the guy that by bidding, he entered into a contract. He's a new user, so maybe he doesn't really get the auction concept, but that's no excuse.

Advice?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've been a Top Rated Seller, a Powerseller, etc. I've been on eBay for over 15 years. (Member since: Jul 19, 1999)

According to eBay's rules: The buyer bid on the item means he entered into a contract with you to pay for it. There is no buyers remorse rule. He MUST pay for the item.

In reality, if he doesn't pay for it, after so many days you can open up an unpaid item case against him. Then he is contacted automatically by eBay. If he doesn't respond or pay after a few days, the case is closed, you get your listing fee refunded to you and the buyer gets a strike against their account.

Seems pretty lame that they don't get flagged in red or something AND to make it worse, you cannot leave negative feedback to warn other sellers.

Did you know, when you list your item you can select options like "Don't allow buyers that have 2 or more strikes".

Personally, cancelling the transaction is the quickest solution.

My father and I are going to hike the Grand Canyon in September. Supervised, of course. I'm getting back in shape and already have clothes for this trek. What I need, though are some hiking boots. I'd like to get them as soon as possible so I can start wearing them to work so I can break them in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Grenn wrote:

My father and I are going to hike the Grand Canyon in September. Supervised, of course. I'm getting back in shape and already have clothes for this trek. What I need, though are some hiking boots. I'd like to get them as soon as possible so I can start wearing them to work so I can break them in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Got an REI near you?

I love my Keen boots to bits. They're waterproof, bombproof and comfortable.

Gravey wrote:
pinkdino99 wrote:

What if Bioshock made an X-Men game....

It would probably be wildly inaccurate, and most certainly noncanonical, since BioShock takes place in 1960 and The X-Men weren't created until 1963. That's if it could even be created, as psychopathic hallucinating splicers are notoriously poor team workers and probably don't posses the technical or creative skills—or if they do, are severely compromised by their mental instabilities—necessary to begin, let alone complete, a cohesive game design.

Or did you mean Freedom Force?

I think perhaps he meant Bioware.

That's an interesting thought experiment.

Here's another: what if a good studio made an X-Men game? [/troll]

dhelor wrote:
Gravey wrote:
pinkdino99 wrote:

What if Bioshock made an X-Men game....

It would probably be wildly inaccurate, and most certainly noncanonical, since BioShock takes place in 1960 and The X-Men weren't created until 1963. That's if it could even be created, as psychopathic hallucinating splicers are notoriously poor team workers and probably don't posses the technical or creative skills—or if they do, are severely compromised by their mental instabilities—necessary to begin, let alone complete, a cohesive game design.

Or did you mean Freedom Force?

I think perhaps he meant Bioware.

I answer the question posed, not the question imagined.