Questions you want answered.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

And is it really that hard to cook an over easy egg?

It's hard getting the whites set while keeping the yolk as runny as possible.

I might suggest steaming the egg in that case. You use a fry pan with a lid, The moment you put the egg in, add a spoon of water, and cover.

This is also reminding me, I have a ton of tomatoes right now...Shakshouka for breakfast on Sunday. Anyone want to bring the pita?

KingGorilla wrote:

In UK fashion, a fried egg will either be sunny side up, or the top will be cooked via spoon basting-not flipping it.

Lies. Lies, I say!

Those of us that (a) don't cook our eggs half or fully submerged in fat because we're keen on the lack of heart disease and also (b) don't like the white to be wobbly and gross, do indeed flip them.

In my experience, the question of "how do you like your eggs" is usually answered 'soft' or 'hard', referring to the yolk. How you go about achieving that is up to the cook.

I wish my local diner would figure that out. I'm the annoying guy who asks "over easy, but I don't care about the yolk as much as the whites better be set".

Eggy in a basket!

McIrishJihad wrote:

I wish my local diner would figure that out. I'm the annoying guy who asks "over easy, but I don't care about the yolk as much as the whites better be set".

This is easily solved by ordering them over medium. You still get a runny yolk but no worries about loose white.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Eggy in a basket!

Soooo good!

IMAGE(http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/files/2010/09/Eggs-Basket.jpg)

Vrikk wrote:

10,0001

IMAGE(http://www.trionaguidry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/janeway-facepalm.jpg)

Radical Ans wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Eggy in a basket!

Soooo good!

IMAGE(http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/files/2010/09/Eggs-Basket.jpg)

Totally had to makes these after seeing V for Vendetta the first time. They were amazing. The runny yolk egg on a BLT from Spanglish was also amazing.

IMAGE(http://gothamist.com/attachments/food_laren/2005_10_food_Spanglish_sand.jpg)

Any artists on here feel like doing some free rough sketches to help a cheap ba****d (aka me) flesh out a few tattoo ideas before I head into my local shop? I've been scouring the inter-tubes for something close to what I've got in mind but I haven't found anything that seemed to fit and if I go into the shop empty-handed I naturally have to pay more for their time than if I go in with some rough sketches that they just tweak.

Microwaved poached eggs. Simple, quick, and remarkably good (ie, they don't taste microwaved).

small microwaveable bowl
~1C water (or just enough to submerge the egg)

Crack egg into bowl, cover, microwave on high for ~60 seconds. If it's not ready, add 10 second extra zaps. If you like 2 extra zaps, DO NOT JUST PUT IT IN FOR 80 SECONDS.

Rykin wrote:
Radical Ans wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Eggy in a basket!

Soooo good!

IMAGE(http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/files/2010/09/Eggs-Basket.jpg)

Totally had to makes these after seeing V for Vendetta the first time. They were amazing. The runny yolk egg on a BLT from Spanglish was also amazing.

IMAGE(http://gothamist.com/attachments/food_laren/2005_10_food_Spanglish_sand.jpg)

I see I'm already late to this but Mr. Fry was responsible for me learning of eggs in a basket from V for Vendetta. I'm glad to know we could have a transatlantic egg exchange.

Radical Ans wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
Radical Ans wrote:

the following topic was discussed whilst having drinks w/ friends the other night: How do werewolves work in space?

Questions that were raised:

Is it only Luna that triggers the transformation or do other moons work as well?
Do other moons impart different abilities onto the werewolf?
What about Pluto? It's neither a planet nor a moon, what would its effect be?
Would it be possible to maintain an orbit around the moon wherein you would be under the light of a full moon all the time?
Would they need special space suits that compensate for the size differential between their human and werewolf form?

The list goes on...

It's a moot point, as the Space Vampires won the war and destroyed all the Werewolves.

I WILL NOT BE SILENCED!! THE VAMPIRE BOURGEOISIE WILL NOT KEEP WOLF KIND DOWN!! ;)

plus my son points out that with the Sun potentially always shining in space, the vampires would never be able to wake up.
Of course, if you positioned the ISS in a spot that could see both the sun and the moon at the same time, werewolves would be having a pretty rough time of it as well.

Rykin wrote:
McIrishJihad wrote:

I wish my local diner would figure that out. I'm the annoying guy who asks "over easy, but I don't care about the yolk as much as the whites better be set".

This is easily solved by ordering them over medium. You still get a runny yolk but no worries about loose white.

Even over medium gets me a 3 out of 5 chance of having whites that aren't fully set

I've got three Steam beta keys for The Showdown Effect. Who wants em? More about game here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/204080/

My 5 year old daughter is doing some pretty amazing bead work at the moment and is making great little necklaces and wristbands 'for her friends'.

She actually wants to give them out to them, so I need to finish them off in a way that is 'better' than three double knots. I've bought some clasp ends, etc, but I think I need more, even transferring the plastic line to thin metal gauge.

It sounds hokey, but I also figured it would be neat to give her something she made at this age when she turns 21, so I'm looking to do it right.

Should I post this question here, or should I just PM Yellek direct for guidance?

So I've recently moved to Sweden, and despite giving my old job a good 6 months notice this was going to happen they didn't replace me in time. This has worked out resonably well as I could use some money while we get set up so I'm working remotely 5 hours a day as a contractor for them for a couple of months. It's decent money and convenient for my family.

My erstwhile line manager has just quit and they only had him on a one month contract so he's leaving in a big old hurry. This is leaving them with a gap in that department they can't fill in a hurry. They've replaced the line manager with a new guy and want me to fly back to London for a week to help the guy get up to speed.

They're paying transport and accommodation costs but, frankly, if it's just a case of pro-rating the hours I already charge there's not much to offset the disruption to my family and the fact I'll be living in a hotel for a week.

What do you think I should ask for to make it worth my while? At the moment I've gone with my normal day rate, pro-rated for the fact I'll be working 7.5 hour days instead of 5, plus a 50% "dragging back to London again away from my family and all the emigration work I still have to get done" loading.

Sensible? Outrageous? I don't usually freelance so I'm really not sure.

Maq, what's it say in your contract and how do you feel about burning the bridge with this place?

If there's no travel coverage stipulated in the contract, put the screws to them and have an amendment made up.

While its "only" a week away, it's still a big deal for you and your family at this point. You should be making something off doing this favor for them, above and beyond just breaking even.

Maq wrote:

What do you think I should ask for to make it worth my while? At the moment I've gone with my normal day rate, pro-rated for the fact I'll be working 7.5 hour days instead of 5, plus a 50% "dragging back to London again away from my family and all the emigration work I still have to get done" loading.

Sensible? Outrageous? I don't usually freelance so I'm really not sure.

I'd bump that 50% bonus to 200% frankly. They need you, you don't need them at this point. It's not your fault they didn't replace you in 6 months.

Speaking as someone who has done freelance and is slowly getting better at it: Whatever you do, set your price for your needs, not theirs. It's their responsibility to worry about their own interests. You've got your family to think about. Usually (not always) people will tell you if it won't work for them, and negotiate lower. I wouldn't go crazy, but it's not unreasonable to ask them for enough to offset what you're going through: as a freelancer you also have to pay for stuff the company would be covering if you were in-house. It's also not unheard of to charge an emergency rate on rush jobs like this, since you presumably have to disrupt your schedule on short notice.

Seconding all this re:Maq's situation. One of the biggest mistakes you can make as an independent contractor, especially in the case of dealing with an entity with which you have had a prior relationship, is to forget the nature of the relationship.

You're not at their mercy. They're looking to you for help because they need your skills, and you're looking to them because they're offering useful resources in exchange. Keep the mutually beneficial aspect if things in mind and negotiation gets a whole lot less nervy a process. Remember, if they need you, the worst they can do is say no and low ball against your offer.

m0nk3yboy wrote:

My 5 year old daughter is doing some pretty amazing bead work at the moment and is making great little necklaces and wristbands 'for her friends'.

She actually wants to give them out to them, so I need to finish them off in a way that is 'better' than three double knots. I've bought some clasp ends, etc, but I think I need more, even transferring the plastic line to thin metal gauge.

It sounds hokey, but I also figured it would be neat to give her something she made at this age when she turns 21, so I'm looking to do it right.

Should I post this question here, or should I just PM Yellek direct for guidance? ;)

Post the question in the "Post a Picture of Something you Created" thread?

Can subscriptions to Playstation Plus be bought at a discount, like XBOX Live Gold subscriptions? If so, how?

dejanzie wrote:

Can subscriptions to Playstation Plus be bought at a discount, like XBOX Live Gold subscriptions? If so, how?

Not exactly. Sometimes Sony offers 12 month deals with 3 months bonus for free on the PSN Store, but that's about it. That deal might be happening right now though.

I may already have asked this a while back, so, apologies for my crappy memory if that's the case....

My wife is pushing for us to start using Mint.com to track our finances. The idea of giving the passwords to all my bank accounts to a third party seems like lunacy to me. I mean, this is keys-t-the-kingdom level of access. Checking account, savings, retirement accounts, credit cards. It's the kind of access that could result in someone stealing literally every cent I own should it fall into the wrong hands.

Am I being paranoid?

Yes and no.

Of course, I also just created an account last night...

So I did some digging - looks like Mint knows that they can be a big target, and use the same level of security, encryption, and architecture as most banks to protect all your info.

They've even got a few pages dedicated to security and trust.

Security Overview
Security FAQ
Security Technology & Practices

At the end of the day, Mint is only read-only. And then there's no way for someone who hacks into your account to then get the credentials for your other institutions.

Of course, I'd love to see them implement some kind of two-factor authentication, but we'll see.

So last night at about 11:45 I am making the rounds of the house - check the locks, turn out the lights, put dog in crate. I hear someone talking outside, and it's kind of late for folks to be about and about in my neighborhood on a Monday night, so I look outside to see what's going on. There's a street light in front of my house so I can see relatively clearly.

An older woman with a headscarf is motioning to about 6-7 puppies. They looked like Scottish terriers, but who knows. She is walking backwards on the sidewalk, calling them - "Come on, come on!" - and none of them have leashes on. The largest of these dogs is maybe 10 inches long so they're not very old at all. The pack is following her, sort of.

What in the world did I just see? These dogs are too young to be outside in public by themselves... they could catch Parvo or parasites or any number of other things. No leashes, so they could easily run into the street and get hit by a car (well, if it weren't so late, anyway). What is the point of having them out there at all, and why at nearly midnight? Is an old lady running an illicit puppy farm in my neighborhood or something? Is there an obvious explanation for this behavior that I'm missing? The whole thing was so odd and out of place I actually thought I might be hallucinating for a second.

tl;dr: Old lady escorting puppies down my street backwards, sans leash, very late at night. What the crap?

MyBrainHz wrote:

So last night at about 11:45 I am making the rounds of the house - check the locks, turn out the lights, put dog in crate. I hear someone talking outside, and it's kind of late for folks to be about and about in my neighborhood on a Monday night, so I look outside to see what's going on. There's a street light in front of my house so I can see relatively clearly.

An older woman with a headscarf is motioning to about 6-7 puppies. They looked like Scottish terriers, but who knows. She is walking backwards on the sidewalk, calling them - "Come on, come on!" - and none of them have leashes on. The largest of these dogs is maybe 10 inches long so they're not very old at all. The pack is following her, sort of.

What in the world did I just see? These dogs are too young to be outside in public by themselves... they could catch Parvo or parasites or any number of other things. No leashes, so they could easily run into the street and get hit by a car (well, if it weren't so late, anyway). What is the point of having them out there at all, and why at nearly midnight? Is an old lady running an illicit puppy farm in my neighborhood or something? Is there an obvious explanation for this behavior that I'm missing? The whole thing was so odd and out of place I actually thought I might be hallucinating for a second.

tl;dr: Old lady escorting puppies down my street backwards, sans leash, very late at night. What the crap?

It's possible she was out for a walk and found them, and was trying to coax them back to her house so she can take them to a vet or shelter. Maybe the mom was a stray and got picked up or hit by a car.

In house hunting... how much hassle can we expect for a property that is just starting the 'short-sell' process? Our realtor guesstimated up to 90 days before the actual purchase process can begin, but initially mentioned that optimistically it could be as short as 30. We're still exploring other properties, but this one is the most promising so far and is set up almost perfectly for what we need right now. Our current landlord will not work with us, so if we're not out by April we're on the hook for another year of rent unless the complex manages to find a new occupant (which they have no obligation to do and there are other empty units at the moment).

Stengah wrote:

It's possible she was out for a walk and found them, and was trying to coax them back to her house so she can EAT THEM!!

FTFY