Questions you want answered.

garion333 wrote:

Yeah, I'm well aware of causing issues with the divorce.

This is no fun. None at all. Patience. Temperance.

... Breathe.

As long as you avoid the physical side of things, I say full steam ahead. The only way to find a good woman is to take her from someone who doesn't appreciate her! Yeah some of that is sarcastic, but if you really have a legitimate connection, there's no point in potentially ruining what could be great. Just remember not to touch her until after things are settled with her current relationship.

Well, the good news is that come tomorrow we'll be 3 and a half hours apart so the physical is easy to avoid. How much, and what kind of, communication is the tricky part.

Perhaps I will become Victorian, chaste and letter writing.

Even if she shows up with signed divorce papers all annecdotal evidence available to me at this time suggests that being the rebound person isn't generally a good idea.

Of course some people are 'over' their relationships long before they actually/officially end so that line gets hazy but even in the most clear of cases I would be rather inclined to give them the time to process the fact that their relationship (marriage in this case) has really ended, to figure out what they really want next, etc.

Maq wrote:
TigerBill wrote:

What are some good LAN party games that don't require multiple copies or Steam to play? We are starting a LAN party night at work and I was tasked with finding more games to play than just Unreal Tournament. It appears Call of Duty 4 fits the bill and, I have a copy of that already.

These PC's are a few years old and, don't have the best video cards for games; they have some decent engineering grade video cards in them though.

Artemis?

League of Legends =)

Dawn of War (either 1 or 2)
Any of the Worms games
Rise of Legends

oilypenguin wrote:

League of Legends =)

Dawn of War (either 1 or 2)
Any of the Worms games
Rise of Legends

Should have put a caveat on this that they should be fast pace action games with very little int he way of strategy or micro managing. While we are all engineers they are only a couple of us that game a lot. I think we would be better off just getting together some Xbox's and doing it that way; most of the guys playing I'm sure are just using it to get out of the house and drink.

garion333 wrote:

Okay, what if her marriage is on the way out and we keep talking? Then when things are over we figure out where we stand.

Sounds insane all around to me, but it's impossible for me (us) to deny this connection.

You know how big football universities will hire coaches away from other schools before their contract has ended? And then that coach will leave again for an even better offer before his contract is up with the 2nd school, and everyone gets all pissed?

Honest question: If she's willing to (even just emotionally) jump ship before one relationship has ended, are you willing to take that risk that she won't do it again with you? She's already proven she will. The thing about "connections" is that they don't last forever, and they have to be replaced with commitments that are held by both parties day in and day out. She likely had a connection with husband #1 when they got married, too.

If you aren't looking for something long-term it's probably a moot point, but if you are...well, personally I wouldn't take that risk.

oilypenguin wrote:
Maq wrote:
TigerBill wrote:

What are some good LAN party games that don't require multiple copies or Steam to play? We are starting a LAN party night at work and I was tasked with finding more games to play than just Unreal Tournament. It appears Call of Duty 4 fits the bill and, I have a copy of that already.

These PC's are a few years old and, don't have the best video cards for games; they have some decent engineering grade video cards in them though.

Artemis?

League of Legends =)

Dawn of War (either 1 or 2)
Any of the Worms games
Rise of Legends

This is going to sound crazy but Warcraft 2: Battle.net Edition. I think you can play with 4 people from one serial thanks to its Install Spawn feature. I just installed it over the weekend on my Windows 7 machine just for laughs and was surprised that it still mostly works (there are some graphical issues in the screens before each mission I think mainly because it isn't switching to 16 bit color mode).

Team Fortress 2 maybe.

I don't think she's necessarily the "cheating type". This kind of thing happens a lot in dying relationships - they're emotionally draining and you've just lost your main source of emotional support. People flail about for that support and grasp onto it wherever they can.

When this divorce is over, her emotional needs will have drastically changed. Now you can either get involved now, in which case your relationship will inexorably be about her divorce, and try to transition out of that later; or you can stay well clear.

Minarchist wrote:
garion333 wrote:

Okay, what if her marriage is on the way out and we keep talking? Then when things are over we figure out where we stand.

Sounds insane all around to me, but it's impossible for me (us) to deny this connection.

You know how big football universities will hire coaches away from other schools before their contract has ended? And then that coach will leave again for an even better offer before his contract is up with the 2nd school, and everyone gets all pissed?

Honest question: If she's willing to (even just emotionally) jump ship before one relationship has ended, are you willing to take that risk that she won't do it again with you? She's already proven she will. The thing about "connections" is that they don't last forever, and they have to be replaced with commitments that are held by both parties day in and day out. She likely had a connection with husband #1 when they got married, too.

If you aren't looking for something long-term it's probably a moot point, but if you are...well, personally I wouldn't take that risk.

All are very good points, but I do think you need to look at it a bit more objectively. If you are a very different person from her ex, and can honestly see that there is going to be a very different dynamic, then I think the danger of ship-jumping is less. Speaking from personal experience, my happy 5 year marriage (9 years together) is the result of a this very thing. I had the same fears, and someone gave me this same advice. The truth is, her ex was abusive and controlling, and I am neither, so... makes for a very different set of circumstances.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find out about the 'android' OS.

I have had zero exposure to it, all I know is they use desserts for OS code names 'gingerbread, ice cream sandwich, etc' and that their icon is cute.

I was tossing up between an iPhone or a Windows 8 model for me and my wife, but a recent confirmation of severe obstructive sleep apnea means that money will now be allocated to preventing me asphyxiate in my sleep rather than getting mobile Cheevs, or staying in the Apple ecosystem (I prefer online Cheevs over this, but the wife has put her foot down).

I'm kind of looking for an overview of the UI, what sort of interactions the user can expect, apps, if it even has those. Is a Wiki read worthwhile? I googled, but got a scattergun response to my scatter gun enquiry.

EDIT:
Android = this option in devices. Any thoughts in that too I guess.

That device looks old and dated. Most popular Android devices have done away with the physical keyboard and have bigger screens. The Android market is very fractured with tons of devices with different specs and different app stores. Really I think you would be better off with a iPhone 4S for $99 US than something like that.

If i could get an Apple iPhone 4S for $99 I would, but being as they retail for AU$679 down here, it's no longer an option.

EDIT:
My ISP has these guys bundled, are they worth the extra? Currently, we would use the $75 phone, and a $20/month BYO sim contract.

http://www.iinet.net.au/phone/mobile...

I had no idea that EB games was still operational. They all became GameStops in the US. My advice for an Android phone is make sure that your device is Android v4.1 or higher. It's going to be tougher to get support for apps/games on devices with older operating systems.

The GS3 is pretty nice, but it's very large. I'd recommend checking it out in person first. It may be too big for your pockets.

EDIT: Also, the Australian currency exchange is quite foreign to me.

If the phone is too big for your pocketses, you should stop buying clothing at the hobbit store

But they have the best selection of vests.

I also don't understand why there's different data pools, and 150GB for social networking. That's insane. Is Australia all about Pinterest or something?

The separate data pools was a thing in Mexico too. Weird.

So I have 8-10 identical, breakable items that I need to send out, all to different locations.

Is there a better or cheaper way to do it than to just buy separate packaging materials and mail them individually?

oilypenguin wrote:

So I have 8-10 identical, breakable items that I need to send out, all to different locations.

Is there a better or cheaper way to do it than to just buy separate packaging materials and mail them individually?

I thought you had twins, not octuplets?

carrotpanic wrote:
oilypenguin wrote:

So I have 8-10 identical, breakable items that I need to send out, all to different locations.

Is there a better or cheaper way to do it than to just buy separate packaging materials and mail them individually?

I thought you had twins, not octuplets?

Hey man, these crystals angels won't mail themselves.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I had no idea that EB games was still operational. They all became GameStops in the US. My advice for an Android phone is make sure that your device is Android v4.1 or higher. It's going to be tougher to get support for apps/games on devices with older operating systems.

The GS3 is pretty nice, but it's very large. I'd recommend checking it out in person first. It may be too big for your pockets.

EDIT: Also, the Australian currency exchange is quite foreign to me.

According to Google this morning in my lazy aud to usd conversion search 679 of my dollars equals 714 of yours.

The webaddress for the site also swaps over to GameStop when you finally jump to the checkout. We've had quite a few video game retailers go under down here, so I think they stayed with EBgames to save losing loyalty/keep stability, etc.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

But they have the best selection of vests.

I also don't understand why there's different data pools, and 150GB for social networking. That's insane. Is Australia all about Pinterest or something?

The different pools are a product of us having capped data allowances. The different data pools are a reflection of that.

X amount of everyday data, but if you use all of that up, then you still have Y amount, if you use it specifically for Social Media.

Same applies with my home allowance. I have a limit of 200GB a month (total up and down), if I go over, I get my downloads shaped to dialup speed. But I have unlimited downloads from their 'freezone', which is content they mirror or host. Luckily for me, XBL and Steam are captured as unmetered.

Look forward to this kind of crap in the US when your unlimited data allowances start to dry up.

I choose to block those terrible contracts out and get furious about it later when I'm blind-sided.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I choose to block those terrible contracts out and get furious about it later when I'm blind-sided.

I recently logged into my ISP and found out that "the average Comcast user" blows through ~10gb/mo, while we average 150-160gb of our 300gb allotment.

What are those people doing wrong?

I want to thank you all for the advice regarding my question. I'm away right now so I'm on my phone and getting ready to pack up as my final presentation is tomorrow morning.

Anyway, my point is important on my phone and don't feel like I can justifiably write responses to you all until I get home tomorrow. I felt bad all day today that I was unable to respond, so I wanted to drop a quick thanks that's turning into a run on post. You all are great.

Wonder if anyone here knows anything about hearing aids? Trying to find a pair for grandpa that meets two requirements:
1. is not the wrap around the ear type--so it sits in the ear in some fashion
2. comes with a remote of some kind that allows him to adjust the volume without needing to fiddle with the earpiece. His hands are shaky so its hard to push buttons on such a small object.

Chairman_Mao wrote:

Wonder if anyone here knows anything about hearing aids? Trying to find a pair for grandpa that meets two requirements:
1. is not the wrap around the ear type--so it sits in the ear in some fashion
2. comes with a remote of some kind that allows him to adjust the volume without needing to fiddle with the earpiece. His hands are shaky so its hard to push buttons on such a small object.

I'm not the least bit knowledgeable, but I've emailed a friend of mine who works with hearing impaired and deaf kids - maybe she'll know of something, or if nothing else, she can tell you what to avoid.

As soon as I hear back from her, I'll PM you.

Mimble wrote:
Chairman_Mao wrote:

Wonder if anyone here knows anything about hearing aids? Trying to find a pair for grandpa that meets two requirements:
1. is not the wrap around the ear type--so it sits in the ear in some fashion
2. comes with a remote of some kind that allows him to adjust the volume without needing to fiddle with the earpiece. His hands are shaky so its hard to push buttons on such a small object.

I'm not the least bit knowledgeable, but I've emailed a friend of mine who works with hearing impaired and deaf kids - maybe she'll know of something, or if nothing else, she can tell you what to avoid.

As soon as I hear back from her, I'll PM you.

Thanks Mimble!

If there's a budget for it, I expect that hearing aids have come a long way since the wrap around the ear kind.

There are advertisements on TV all of the time for the little earplug looking ones. Can't say as I know about the remote though.

I'll be getting these so my sons don't have to shout at me like I'm starting to have to do with my parents. Put a lifetime of automotive manufacturing equipment, power tools, motorized recreational vehicles, and such, on top of the ageing process and it's a recipe for deafness.

Ghostship wrote:

If there's a budget for it, I expect that hearing aids have come a long way since the wrap around the ear kind.

There are advertisements on TV all of the time for the little earplug looking ones. Can't say as I know about the remote though.

I'll be getting these so my sons don't have to shout at me like I'm starting to have to do with my parents. Put a lifetime of automotive manufacturing equipment, power tools, motorized recreational vehicles, and such, on top of the ageing process and it's a recipe for deafness.

Right, I think we'll assume no budget limit until we see how much no budget limit actually means and work down from there.

Ghostship wrote:

...

WHAT??