Questions you want answered.

Strangeblades wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

I'm tired of Google Chrome not working. I have to click off and then on a tab to show the contents. It sometimes freezes. I've reinstalled Win 7 and stuff but Chrome still acts up like this. What is a good alternative?

1) I need it to work with Norton 2012, Identity Safe.

2) It can't be Explorer.

3) It has to be sponsored by Satan. (I'm kidding.)

Chrome has been spotty for my work, it began cropping some pages, and certain sites using Quicktime image viewers (thanks President Bush) just will not load. For work I have returned to Firefox. Firefox has some Norton plug ins as well.

Yup. Going back to Firefox sounds good to me. Sigh. I love Chrome though but like my cat she's got problems.

President Bush?

I've been a long-time Chrome-head, and usually when I start seeing problems its because I've had tons of tabs open and Chrome is chewing through RAM. Then I offload tabs to InstaPaper for later reading, condense to a single window of <8 tabs, close out and wait for all Chrome processes to exit, and reopen.

Then I'm golden.

McIrishJihad wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

I'm tired of Google Chrome not working. I have to click off and then on a tab to show the contents. It sometimes freezes. I've reinstalled Win 7 and stuff but Chrome still acts up like this. What is a good alternative?

1) I need it to work with Norton 2012, Identity Safe.

2) It can't be Explorer.

3) It has to be sponsored by Satan. (I'm kidding.)

Chrome has been spotty for my work, it began cropping some pages, and certain sites using Quicktime image viewers (thanks President Bush) just will not load. For work I have returned to Firefox. Firefox has some Norton plug ins as well.

Yup. Going back to Firefox sounds good to me. Sigh. I love Chrome though but like my cat she's got problems.

President Bush?

I've been a long-time Chrome-head, and usually when I start seeing problems its because I've had tons of tabs open and Chrome is chewing through RAM. Then I offload tabs to InstaPaper for later reading, condense to a single window of <8 tabs, close out and wait for all Chrome processes to exit, and reopen.

Then I'm golden.

But I just wanna abuse my browser and have it work 100%! That's not asking for much right?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

What are some good ideas for date nights? My wife and I are working on going out on more dates, and we want them to be new and novel things. I'm more of a traditional dinner and a movie person, myself, so I'm at a bit of a loss. My imagination is letting me down here. Less expensive options are nice.

Rock Climbing Gym. Trust builder. This will fail miserably, if she's a manicure type gal.

Fondue Restaurant.

Dress Up to the Nth, and go get dinner in the lobby restaurant of the hotel where the celebrities and politicians stay.

Dress Up to the Nth, then go to a bar, and let people wonder. Be someone else for the night.

Pottery shop that lets you turn a project on the wheel? No reach arounds please. ...Ghost, the movie, people.

We have a Nordic spa nearby. It's like a low key (warm)water park for adults with (beauty)spa amenities. Not the kind of thing that's everywhere, but if you have one, or live in the Ottawa Gatineau area, GO! It's not really femme-y. I even booked a massage. My therapist was a ma-SIR, and not a flying flip was given by me that day.

Hiking day trip. Cook her dinner on the trial. May take some research and backcountry expertise. Dehydrated camping meals will not do. You have to amaze by cooking something with nothing.

Bird sanctuary? We have one with hiking trails through it.

Arcade trip? This goes with bowling for us. The bowling alley is the only place with pins. And the pins and cabs are for me, really. Maybe you have a Dave and Buster's?

Find a hotel with a water slide inside? Many larger cities have one.

Night skiing lesson?

Take her fishing?

Strangeblades wrote:

President Bush?

My issues are largely due to how Chrome works on Federal Government Agency sites and services. The Patent Office, for example, uses a Quicktime viewer that Chrome just will not load. These sites largely are 10 years old or so.

For whatever reason though. Chrome on Linux loads the Patent site just fine for me.

Is Steam down for anyone? I load it up and it collapses as soon as it boots.

Strangeblades wrote:

Is Steam down for anyone? I load it up and it collapses as soon as it boots.

This is a pretty good indicator of whether Steam is down or not.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

What are some good ideas for date nights? My wife and I are working on going out on more dates, and we want them to be new and novel things. I'm more of a traditional dinner and a movie person, myself, so I'm at a bit of a loss. My imagination is letting me down here. Less expensive options are nice.

Not sure what sized city/town you're in but

The zoo,
Comedy Clubs
Theatre
Spend a night in a hotel
Bowling
Aquarium
Local gig night
Art Galleries (big city galleries often have a late night night)
Get a guide book for your area and pick stuff in it

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :)

Move to NYC

Tanglebones wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :)

Move to NYC

No! They're already slated to move to Portland eventually.

Clock,

Shooting range?

Should I be putting cetylpiridinium chloride in my mouth.

Ghostship wrote:

Should I be putting cetylpiridinium chloride in my butt?

FTFY.

Tanglebones wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :)

Move to NYC

She said inexpensive.

Yay! My Steam works again. Huh, it apparently updated itself and it's fine. WATEVA!

Kehama wrote:

If a person buys a brand new Porsche 911 and then slaps a gigantic bike rack on top of it am I legally allowed to call them a moron without suffering any repercussions?

I see your Porsche with a bike rack and raise you with this

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/KAY8U.jpg)

Jonman wrote:
Chumpy_McChump wrote:

Mini-golf (cosmic or not).

Cosmic mini golf? Either it's a kickass sci-fi themed mini golf course, or you mean eating a fistful of acid then going to mini golf.

Well maybe not a fistful, but mini golf on acid is pretty awesome.

Tanglebones wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

Should I be putting cetylpiridinium chloride in my butt?

FTFY.

Did you mean

C21H38NCI -> Butt

?

FDA
“The agency believes that the information contained in its adverse reaction files, 30 years of safe marketing of an OTC mouthwash containing cetylpyridinium chloride (NDA 14- 598), and the safety data evaluated by the Oral Cavity Panel are sufficient to conclude that 0.025 to 0.1 percent cetylpyridinium chloride is safe as an OTC oral antiseptic when labeled for short-term use (not to exceed 7 days).”
This stuff is in mouthwash, toothpaste, lozenges, throat spray, and some ingestible products.
I can confirm that a bottle of mouthwash lasts longer than 7 days. Have to go read the label.

Crest (Proctor and Gambel in Canada) has not labelled this product so, at 0.07%

Kehama wrote:

If a person buys a brand new Porsche 911 and then slaps a gigantic bike rack on top of it am I legally allowed to call them a moron without suffering any repercussions?

IMAGE(http://www.meinrad.info/wp-content/uploads/lamborghini-gallardo-fietsenrek.jpg)

On his way to an Occupy protest?

Now the bike rack on the rear I, strangely, have no problem with. Personal thing, I know. As for the Porsche with the glittery skull and bones? I bet the driver is both fast AND furious.

Kehama wrote:

Now the bike rack on the rear I, strangely, have no problem with. Personal thing, I know. As for the Porsche with the glittery skull and bones? I bet the driver is both fast AND furious.

Hit the NOS!!!!

Why do some people feel the need to find loop-holes in other people's diets?

I first noticed this when I went vegetarian and 6 years later I still have people asking me "what about *some animal they find tasty*?!" along with various absurd hypotheticals. Lately with my striving to eat healthier I'm noticing it again with whatever unhealthy food choice I'm turning down that they happen to think I should eat.

My best guess is that they like it so much they can't imagine someone going without it...or maybe my going without it implies something is wrong with what they like which obviously can't be the case -_- . Perhaps it just comes down to obvious troll is obvious but I'm trying to think better of people than that.

Note: I'm not lecturing anyone nor telling them what to eat or not eat, simply refusing to eat them myself.

krev82 wrote:

Why do some people feel the need to find loop-holes in other people's diets?

I first noticed this when I went vegetarian and 6 years later I still have people asking me "what about *some animal they find tasty*?!" along with various absurd hypotheticals. Lately with my striving to eat healthier I'm noticing it again with whatever unhealthy food choice I'm turning down that they happen to think I should eat.

My best guess is that they like it so much they can't imagine someone going without it...or maybe my going without it implies something is wrong with what they like which obviously can't be the case -_- . Perhaps it just comes down to obvious troll is obvious but I'm trying to think better of people than that.

Note: I'm not lecturing anyone nor telling them what to eat or not eat, simply refusing to eat them myself.

I've never understood this either.

krev82 wrote:

or maybe my going without it implies something is wrong with what they like which obviously can't be the case -_- .

You underestimate the power of social pressure and the need people have for fitting in (both yours and theirs).

KingGorilla wrote:

Must be a Canadian thing. Here in the US it is the people on the latest dietary craze imposing that on the group as a whole.

It's not. Here in flyover country USA, I get a lot of "you're a vegetarian? But what about delicious, delicious bacon?!"

Must be a Canadian thing. Here in the US it is the people on the latest dietary craze imposing that on the group as a whole.

"No, I would not rather go to the raw food bar over the Soul Food restaurant for lunch." "And no, your choice to be raw vegan is not a special dietary need. A shellfish allergy or religious conviction is a special dietary need."

We then get "Oh God, you Eat [red meat, rare steaks, lamb, goat, pork, ham, turkey, cod, tuna] don't you know how bad that is for you?" "I swear to god after I have this raw oyster I am going to stab your eye with the little fork, squirt lemon in it, and then give you a horseradish enema."

ClockworkHouse wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

Must be a Canadian thing. Here in the US it is the people on the latest dietary craze imposing that on the group as a whole.

It's not. Here in flyover country USA, I get a lot of "you're a vegetarian? But what about delicious, delicious bacon?!"

I got it when we went vegetarian last year as well. Thanks for killing my joke. He was not the bravest or the smartest, but I thought with a little help from me he would thrive. I was wrong, and like a deformed turtle newly hatched on the beach, the merciless process of natural selection snuffed him out.

Did you eat him after it happened? Because you really shouldn't do that. It's bad for your health.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Did you eat him after it happened? Because you really shouldn't do that. It's bad for your health.

But what about delicious, delicious deformed turtle?