Questions you want answered.

Concave wrote:
At risk of starting some sort of holy wars... should I get Civ IV or Civ V?
Bearing in mind the last Civ-type game I played was Colonization (1994 original version :old:).

I'm inclined to say Civ IV, if only because of Fall From Heaven II, A mod that actually makes good on the promises of games like Master Of Magic and Age Of Wonders.

But I also have a spare copy of Civ V From my XCOM pre-order if you want it, just send me a friend invite. (Thanks to dejanzie for reminding me a have it :))

EDIT: It might help if I link to my steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/DRM75.

IHateDRM wrote:
Concave wrote:
At risk of starting some sort of holy wars... should I get Civ IV or Civ V?
Bearing in mind the last Civ-type game I played was Colonization (1994 original version :old:).

I'm inclined to say Civ IV, if only because of Fall From Heaven II, A mod that actually makes good on the promises of games like Master Of Magic and Age Of Wonders.

But I also have a spare copy of Civ V From my XCOM pre-order if you want it, just send me a friend invite. (Thanks to dejanzie for reminding me a have it :))

EDIT: It might help if I link to my steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/DRM75. :P

Ah excellent, will do

Concave wrote:
IHateDRM wrote:
Concave wrote:
At risk of starting some sort of holy wars... should I get Civ IV or Civ V?
Bearing in mind the last Civ-type game I played was Colonization (1994 original version :old:).

I'm inclined to say Civ IV, if only because of Fall From Heaven II, A mod that actually makes good on the promises of games like Master Of Magic and Age Of Wonders.

But I also have a spare copy of Civ V From my XCOM pre-order if you want it, just send me a friend invite. (Thanks to dejanzie for reminding me a have it :))

EDIT: It might help if I link to my steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/DRM75. :P

Ah excellent, will do :)

And done!

So one of our HR reps just quietly gave me a heads up that I'm getting an offer for a new position in a few hours. That's awesome, and I'm stupidly excited. Here's my question. This is the first job offer that I've ever gotten that wasn't an entry-level position. It's a management gig, and there's a lot of travel involved. Should I make a counteroffer to whatever salary offer they make? If I do decide to do that, how to I make a counteroffer without risking them saying, "Okay, we'll go with someone else."?

trichy wrote:
So one of our HR reps just quietly gave me a heads up that I'm getting an offer for a new position in a few hours. That's awesome, and I'm stupidly excited. Here's my question. This is the first job offer that I've ever gotten that wasn't an entry-level position. It's a management gig, and there's a lot of travel involved. Should I make a counteroffer to whatever salary offer they make? If I do decide to do that, how to I make a counteroffer without risking them saying, "Okay, we'll go with someone else."?

I don't think they'll ever say that. They'll just say "this is the best we can do" and then it's in your hands to take or leave it.

Well you will probably not get a used car salesman talk about it on the spot. At the interview get your info. But then go with the classic "I need to go home and think about this."

This gives you an opportunity to do some research on what competitive wages would be. Evaluate the pluses and minuses. IE more travel, less time at home with your wife and kids. Will this be travel they cover 100%, will you have to pay some, will you have to pay and wait to be reimbursed? If the travel is on your car, be sure you weigh that against more wear on your ride (unless you get a car out of the deal). If it is a lot of extra car travel, IRS reimbursement on gas is horrid and most companies I know of are only a little better IE 50 cents a mile vs 35 cents. You get a raise, but what are the tax implications? Do you start making so much money you lose some tax deductions? Are you put in a new bracket?

trichy wrote:
Should I make a counteroffer to whatever salary offer they make?

Kinda depends on the offer, doesn't it? If they make you an offer that you're happy with, why would you counter?

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
trichy wrote:
Should I make a counteroffer to whatever salary offer they make?

Kinda depends on the offer, doesn't it? If they make you an offer that you're happy with, why would you counter?

Yes, but I'd trade it all for a little more.

carrotpanic wrote:
You're super wrong.
Don't care. It's two. Period. Always.

Coldstream wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
Why does the water level in the bowl go down when I clean the toilet?

Because the level of the water equalises in that U-shape formed by the bowl and the proximal portion of the goose-neck. When you push water forcefully into the pipe by brushing, it slops some past the point in the goose-neck beyond which it can't return, lowering the total amount of water left in the U-shape, and therefore the level of the water on either side when it's at rest.

Thanks, that was awesome, I don't know what any of it means.

No, wait, okay, so basically in every toilet there is empty space? The water in the bowl that I can see is part of a 'U'. But then how does the flushing occur?

There's a tv commercial I don't understand. A bunch of African tribesmen are digging in the ground. One of them finds something shiny. They chase him. He gets to his hut safely, it's an X-like shape with four colors, it glows. Fade to black, there's a bunch of text in what looks like Arabic, but there are some English words asking one to sign up for something and giving a date, I don't know if this is the time sign ups are open or if this is the time of the event.

What's it about?

X with four colours? I haven't seen the commercial in question, but that sounds like the Nexus logo. Did it look like this:
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/HREyB.png)

RolandofGilead wrote:
No, wait, okay, so basically in every toilet there is empty space? The water in the bowl that I can see is part of a 'U'. But then how does the flushing occur?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet3.htm
By hitting the flush lever you empty the reservoir into the bowl. This causes the level of the water level to rise above the the backside of the "U". The water flowing out the back of the "U", siphons the contents out of the bowl until the water reaches a neutral level.

IHateDRM wrote:
Concave wrote:
IHateDRM wrote:
Concave wrote:
At risk of starting some sort of holy wars... should I get Civ IV or Civ V?
Bearing in mind the last Civ-type game I played was Colonization (1994 original version :old:).

I'm inclined to say Civ IV, if only because of Fall From Heaven II, A mod that actually makes good on the promises of games like Master Of Magic and Age Of Wonders.

But I also have a spare copy of Civ V From my XCOM pre-order if you want it, just send me a friend invite. (Thanks to dejanzie for reminding me a have it :))

EDIT: It might help if I link to my steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/DRM75. :P

Ah excellent, will do :)

And done!

It's things like this that make GWJ so great. Thanks!

RolandofGilead wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
You're super wrong.
Don't care. It's two. Period. Always.

Except the html just converted your sentence down to one space after period.

carrotpanic wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
You're super wrong.
Don't care. It's two. Period. Always.

Except the html just converted your sentence down to one space after period.

Exactly, so then everyone sees things that match the kerning of modern digital text, but your muscle memory can continue to write the correct 2-space way that is compatible with all forms of typing devices. Win-win!

carrotpanic wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
carrotpanic wrote:
You're super wrong.
Don't care. It's two. Period. Always.

Except the html just converted your sentence down to one space after period.

Since this BS just won't die. If you write in a profession that uses Blue Book form, you use 2 spaces. You always double space between the end of a sentence and then your citation sentence and then your next sentence. You use 2 spaces between all other sentences.

For non professional writing, double spacing is a stylistic choice, but encouraged when using a monospaced font.

The vigorous defense of Chicago, MLA, etc is silly. Now if you could return to the main page and rage out on SNES vs Genesis in a mob like fashion. 2 spacing is simultaneously right and wrong. You write the way your field tells you to. You are guaranteed to be wrong to make a blanket statement on what is correct for style and formatting.

However, as a question. What are Canadian kids taught about that extra "u"? Are they sticking to their guns and armour?

KingGorilla wrote:
However, as a question. What are Canadian kids taught about that extra "u"? Are they sticking to their guns and armour?

What about the 'u'? We're just taught how to spell correctly.

RolandofGilead wrote:
No, wait, okay, so basically in every toilet there is empty space? The water in the bowl that I can see is part of a 'U'. But then how does the flushing occur?

Look under your sink. See the how the pipe forms a U shape before leaving for the sewers? Exact same thing happens inside your toilet. But instead of pipes, the toilet has the same shape built into it at the back. It forms a seal and plugs the pipe, so that the gasses from the sewer cannot enter your bathroom/kitchen.

nihilo wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:
However, as a question. What are Canadian kids taught about that extra "u"? Are they sticking to their guns and armour?

What about the 'u'? We're just taught how to spell correctly.

You say that now, but what about when the Americans come with their gns?

MoonDragon wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
No, wait, okay, so basically in every toilet there is empty space? The water in the bowl that I can see is part of a 'U'. But then how does the flushing occur?

Look under your sink. See the how the pipe forms a U shape before leaving for the sewers? Exact same thing happens inside your toilet. But instead of pipes, the toilet has the same shape built into it at the back. It forms a seal and plugs the pipe, so that the gasses from the sewer cannot enter your bathroom/kitchen.

Moondragon has got it. It's not just for plumbing. This idea is used all over the place, though. Brewers use a tool called a "vapor lock" that uses the same principle to keep wild yeasts and bacteria from getting in and contaminating your brew while allowing excess gasses to escape, for example. And if you get a vapor lock in your fuel-line, it can cause problems for your car.

Do you guys and gals ever get tired of me popping in here and asking dumb questions?

Grenn wrote:
Do you guys and gals ever get tired of me popping in here and asking dumb questions?

Well that is a dumb and annoying question.

Grenn wrote:
Do you guys and gals ever get tired of me popping in here and asking dumb questions?

KingGorilla wrote:
Grenn wrote:
Do you guys and gals ever get tired of me popping in here and asking dumb questions?

Well that is a dumb and annoying question.

IMAGE(http://blogs.psychsterdata.com/yjgm/dunce-cap.png)

I haven't seen that in a very long time, Tangle. Madeline Kahn was a genius!

momgamer wrote:
And if you get a vapor lock in your fuel-line, it can cause problems for your car.

There's only one thing you need to be a great quarterback.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
momgamer wrote:
And if you get a vapor lock in your fuel-line, it can cause problems for your car.

There's only one thing you need to be a great quarterback.

Okay, look. I gotta run. Remember what I told ya!

nihilo wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:
However, as a question. What are Canadian kids taught about that extra "u"? Are they sticking to their guns and armour?

What about the 'u'? We're just taught how to spell correctly.

The extraneous "u" in words like "color/colour" and "armor/armour" in British English can be attributed to the fact that Samuel Johnson's influential 1755 "Dictionary of the English Language" came at a time when it was much in vogue to exaggerate the French influence on English language and culture, a fad that had thankfully passed by the time the American Noah Webster published the first edition of his superior "A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language" in 1806.

Taking your spelling cues from a man who was more concerned with being trendy than correct is an adorable affectation. Never change, Canada.

Cut us some slack, the Dictionary was patronized by this guy:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/FnyA2l.jpg)