Recommend me a (non-gaming) podcast

I want to watch the Chernobyl series, but I don't have HBO access. Is the podcast about the making of the show or just more Chernobyl information?

They mostly follow the show episode by episode and talk about what was true and what wasn't or where the inspiration came from for a particular scene. The show itself is a dramatization rather than a documentary. An amazing amount of it was true to history, but there were some changes made so that it could be retold in that format.

I think the podcast could stand on its own if you haven't seen the series though there might be some bits that won't be relevant.

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend - The interviews are usually solid but it's the pre and post segments that have me crying with laughter. The Jeff Goldblum episode is top notch.

but it's the pre and post segments that have me crying with laughter

Matt Gourley is the pretty close if not the top of the list of people whose talent VASTLY outpaces the moderate success they've had in the world of entertainment -- if you aren't familiar with his other work, you might enjoy checking some of it out. (Not that the Sona/Conan dynamics aren't also fun, but Gourley deserves to have more people aware of his work.)

This may not be the right place, but I'm looking for advice on a new Podcast App. Mine finally bit the dust and doesn't update some of my subscription feeds anymore.

My criteria:
* iOS
* Relatively cheap (Under, say, $10)
* Individual frequency settings for each subscription. (I set some to "keep only most recent" and others to "keep all until listened to.")
* The ability to download old episodes. (Believe it or not, some of the ones I've tried don't have that.)

I don't feel like I'm asking for the world here, but finding 2&3 together is more complicated than it should be.

If this needs to go somewhere else, please point me to the right thread.

Feh, sadly PocketCasts -- my favorite -- does let you set things for individual subscriptions -- such as download vs stream, add to up next queue, etc -- but not the frequency in which it checks.

Maybe frequency wasn't the right word, in hindsight. I don't care how often it checks for new episodes (I mean, daily is ideal for pretty much every podcast I listen to), I just care that I can set it to delete unlistened to episodes with differing levels of vehemence for individual feeds. For example, keep the 3 most recent of podcast A on my device, but only keep the 1 most recent of podcast B, and for podcast C, hoard them all until I get a chance to binge.

You can set each subscription to auto download and auto archive with Pocketcast. I believe that gives you the level of control you want.

I've been pretty happy with Downcast, but I'll have to check for those particular features.

Thanks all, appreciated so far.

Overcast does all those things too.

Feegle wrote:

This may not be the right place, but I'm looking for advice on a new Podcast App. Mine finally bit the dust and doesn't update some of my subscription feeds anymore.

My criteria:
* iOS
* Relatively cheap (Under, say, $10)
* Individual frequency settings for each subscription. (I set some to "keep only most recent" and others to "keep all until listened to.")
* The ability to download old episodes. (Believe it or not, some of the ones I've tried don't have that.)

I don't feel like I'm asking for the world here, but finding 2&3 together is more complicated than it should be.

If this needs to go somewhere else, please point me to the right thread. :)

I'll entirely admit to not understanding why people hate the bundled iOS Podcasts app from Apple, but it does all of those things. And is free. It "just works" for me, I've never had need to go looking for an alternative.

Same, Jonman. +1 for the plain old “Podcasts”.

zeroKFE wrote:
but it's the pre and post segments that have me crying with laughter

Matt Gourley is the pretty close if not the top of the list of people whose talent VASTLY outpaces the moderate success they've had in the world of entertainment -- if you aren't familiar with his other work, you might enjoy checking some of it out. (Not that the Sona/Conan dynamics aren't also fun, but Gourley deserves to have more people aware of his work.)

For those of you not familiar with the Gourley Extended Universe, some of those podcasts are:

-- The Superego Podcast: the OG GEU podcast, highly edited and sound designed improvised sketches (Brown X-Wing Squadron and GI Joe are good examples of their comedy)

-- I Was There Too: Gourley interviews actors who were minor characters in major movies or famous movie scenes. Best episodes include Silence of the Lambs with Brooke Smith (the girl in the well who'll get the hose again if she doesn't put on that damned lotion) and Aliens/T2/Titanic with Jenette Goldstein (it's flippin' Vasquez, 'nuh said).

-- James Bonding: Gourley and Matt Mira dissect everything there is about James Bond. Gourley is a long-time Bond superfan, as witnessed by his Superego sketch M where Bond has to answer M's very important question "Bond, how British am I?"

-- Pistol Shrimp's Radio: color commentary of the Los Angeles Women’s Rec Basketball League's Pistol Shrimp team from Gourley and Superego alum Mark McConville. Both of them have tenuous grasps of anything sports related, but you don't care because of the stream of consciousness banter and improvisation between the two is amazing.

-- In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley And Rust: James Bonding, but about the Friday the 13th movies and with Paul Rust (Love, Arrested Development).

Jonman wrote:
Feegle wrote:

This may not be the right place, but I'm looking for advice on a new Podcast App. Mine finally bit the dust and doesn't update some of my subscription feeds anymore.

My criteria:
* iOS
* Relatively cheap (Under, say, $10)
* Individual frequency settings for each subscription. (I set some to "keep only most recent" and others to "keep all until listened to.")
* The ability to download old episodes. (Believe it or not, some of the ones I've tried don't have that.)

I don't feel like I'm asking for the world here, but finding 2&3 together is more complicated than it should be.

If this needs to go somewhere else, please point me to the right thread. :)

I'll entirely admit to not understanding why people hate the bundled iOS Podcasts app from Apple, but it does all of those things. And is free. It "just works" for me, I've never had need to go looking for an alternative.

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/1a5964111a3e7ee6bc686b382e3e4123/tenor.gif?itemid=3552525)

Some people have taste.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

Some people have taste.

Can you describe the flavor profile that you don't like in the Podcasts app?

Genuinely, I'm interested. I've been using it for years, and haven't had a single instance where I've thought "I need a replacement for this piece of crap". It gets the podcasts I tell it to, how I tell it to, and it plays them when I tell it to. What functionality does it lack that I don't even know I need yet?

Jonman wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

Some people have taste.

Can you describe the flavor profile that you don't like in the Podcasts app?

Genuinely, I'm interested. I've been using it for years, and haven't had a single instance where I've thought "I need a replacement for this piece of crap". It gets the podcasts I tell it to, how I tell it to, and it plays them when I tell it to. What functionality does it lack that I don't even know I need yet?

For me, it's really just that I got into podcast before it was cool. I had to find an app a decade ago, before all the free and pre-installed ones existed. And I'll be damned if I let the treefity I spent 10 years ago go to waste.

Jonman wrote:

What functionality does it lack that I don't even know I need yet?

Pocket Cast has a browser player that lets you roll from listening on your phone to on your desktop (and vice versa) without skipping a beat. It costs extra, but so worth the seven dollars or whatever I paid for it.

Only thing I wish it had was a selection to play continuous from oldest to newest - as it is right now, I can play the oldest one, but it stops there, because it’s at the bottom of the list. I have yet to find an option to sort by reverse date, it’s always the newest one at the top.

Wink_and_the_Gun wrote:

Only thing I wish it had was a selection to play continuous from oldest to newest - as it is right now, I can play the oldest one, but it stops there, because it’s at the bottom of the list. I have yet to find an option to sort by reverse date, it’s always the newest one at the top.

The Apple podcasts app that comes free with iPhone does that. You simply subscribe to the podcast, go to the preferences menu of the podcast and choose “play oldest to newest”. It will keep your preferences separate from other podcasts that you subscribe to. So if there’s another podcast which I want to always play “newest to oldest” I only have to set that once.

I was wondering the same thing that Jonman had posted about. When I first became a podcast fanatic I was listening through my iPod. Even after my first iPhone, my iPod was my preferred way to listen to everything. By the time I had switched over to iPhone, I’m guessing that Apple had all of the kinks worked out of the podcast app. That’s all I’ve ever used and it’s never even occurred to me to try another podcast app.

I meant for ALL the podcasts I have downloaded. My existing solution (for long, continuous play) is to select one a bit higher in the list, then it will move on to the next (older) one, but at least I don’t have to keep queuing up the next one, because if I play the absolute oldest episode it stops when it’s finished.

EDIT

EDIT: post deleted because someone else already pointed off to other Gourley goodness

OG_slinger wrote:
zeroKFE wrote:
but it's the pre and post segments that have me crying with laughter

Matt Gourley is the pretty close if not the top of the list of people whose talent VASTLY outpaces the moderate success they've had in the world of entertainment -- if you aren't familiar with his other work, you might enjoy checking some of it out. (Not that the Sona/Conan dynamics aren't also fun, but Gourley deserves to have more people aware of his work.)

For those of you not familiar with the Gourley Extended Universe, some of those podcasts are:

-- The Superego Podcast: the OG GEU podcast, highly edited and sound designed improvised sketches (Brown X-Wing Squadron and GI Joe are good examples of their comedy)

-- I Was There Too: Gourley interviews actors who were minor characters in major movies or famous movie scenes. Best episodes include Silence of the Lambs with Brooke Smith (the girl in the well who'll get the hose again if she doesn't put on that damned lotion) and Aliens/T2/Titanic with Jenette Goldstein (it's flippin' Vasquez, 'nuh said).

-- James Bonding: Gourley and Matt Mira dissect everything there is about James Bond. Gourley is a long-time Bond superfan, as witnessed by his Superego sketch M where Bond has to answer M's very important question "Bond, how British am I?"

-- Pistol Shrimp's Radio: color commentary of the Los Angeles Women’s Rec Basketball League's Pistol Shrimp team from Gourley and Superego alum Mark McConville. Both of them have tenuous grasps of anything sports related, but you don't care because of the stream of consciousness banter and improvisation between the two is amazing.

-- In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley And Rust: James Bonding, but about the Friday the 13th movies and with Paul Rust (Love, Arrested Development).

He's great on the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project too.

I Saw THat Years Ago -

Jack Lemon Single White Females Walther Matthau in... THE ODD COUPLE

http://istya.libsyn.com/ep-226-the-o...

The Ballad of Billy Balls is now completely wrapped up. Even the post-series bonus episodes are finished. I can’t even begin to express how great this series is. One of the bonus episodes is a “making of” type of thing. After listening to it, it made me love the series even more.

Go binge the whole thing RIGHT NOW!