Baseball 2k9 League interest

I know we still have a month before the game comes out, and we all want to see how it plays.
I just want to see were everybody's thoughts are, and if you are interested in doing a league.

It's time to play to PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be down assuming it's on 360, and the lag from last year's game isn't so bad.

Well, it's a day one purchase for me. But it will be a awhile before I will commit to league play. I'm just hoping for smooth gameplay right now. If they can get rid of the online lag, that would be a huge bonus.

Lat year the game was quite playable after the first patch. I probably played 50 ranked games.

Assuming it gets good reviews, I'll be picking it up. I'm interested in a league but based on last year's league performance, I wouldn't count on it Frankie.

I think the biggest problem last year was all the bugs, and lag along, with the fact they took forever to put out a patch.
Now maybe it's me but I don't think they are that dumb, to let that happen again we will just have to wait and see.

Yeah, the proof wil come with the release version. I'll be waiting for the full reviews of that, but I am cautiosly optimistic. Hopefully we get enough guys for at least a few playoff-like tournaments.

If I like the game I will be more than willing to play in a league or tournaments.

I'd be willing to join a league, assuming it's playable online. Last year's game wasn't playable for me. I wasn't planning on buying it this year, but if there's enough Goodjer interest, I'll pick it up.

So Jayhawker and I were looking at the settings and all we need are 4 teams for a league or tournament. I think the settings for the amount of league games are 10, 20, 54, and then way too many for a GWJ friendly leaague (even 54 is stretching it).

I'd be in favor of a fantasy draft.

I think there will be some need for slider tweaking before committing to getting a league up and running. Right now, the default is resulting in too much offense.

Also, I think we would need to look at altering the default pitching. The two-step is just too easy to locate pitches. If we go back to the timed release, which is the third step from last year's version, I think we will start getting enough variability in our pitching.

Right now, there is now reason to throw closer to the heart of the plate. Even if you throw a couple of balls to start off the count (which you wuld only be doing purposely,m trying to induce the batter to chase) you can still paint the corner with a curve ball. what should happen is that you will need to locate the ball closer to the middle, so you don't risk throwing a ball, but there is no risk of that right now. also, when you do paint the corners, there should be an equal risk of the ball drifting out of the strike zone, or over the heart of the plate.

The right stick process, when combined with the timed release, is the best way to induce this, as your own failure to nail the gesture and release will result in worse pitches. Furthermeore, each pitcher has different timings. The better the pitcher, the slower it moves. Also, as pitcher fatigue, the window gets shorter. Honestly, last year's version of this seemed a little better than this year's, but I think we can tinker with the sliders and get a nice variability in pitches.

But I'd like to see us wait a week or two while sliders are worked on. So hit me up for a game, as I am going to do some tweaking myself.

The game is good, but it is not quite ready for prime time yet. The good news is that I think this game will be far better online than solo this year.

How about a tournament in the meantime?

That sounds good to me and did I say I love this game. I'll set on up this weekend

I'm down. I'd like to use whatever the settings are for ranked games. I'll be picking this up this weekend btw

Ranked games are fun, but the current settings are really a crazy home run fest. I just lost a game 12-11. Both of us really worked the strike zone. But when you did come over the plate, it was bombs away. But I drew three walks in the game. I worked the count and forced him go to his bullpen really early. He started out the game hacking away, and I was able to get Carpenter into the 7th before I had to go to the bullpen.

But he scored all 12 runs on home runs. I think I scored 9 or 10 of my runs on home runs.

But the game is on the brink of being awsome online. I know I was frustrating the heck out of him by taking so many pitches. Not only that, I did not strike out much. Probably six. I got him 15 or 16 times. It was good for a couple of achievements.

the fun was finding pitches to confuse him. He finally stopped going after my 12-6 curveball in the dirt. But then I caught him looking for a couple of strikeouts by using the circle change, that stayed in the zone. I was able to use the slider the same way. When he started taking pitches, I started making him.

But the problem is you do have to come over the plate, and you will pay when you do. It ends up feeling more like softball. I think some settings that will tone down the long ball will go a long ways. It pays to just hold up on the left stick and generate as many long balls as possible. If more of those were outs, it may pay off to stop hitting flybals and just try to make contact.

But this is a great game online. I can't say that enough. Even though I lost that game, and it was a homerfest, it was a fantastic heads up battle.

The other things we need to do is keep from making it so easy to thow to a spot. Every ball is on purpose, as is every strike.

Jayhawker wrote:

Ranked games are fun, but the current settings are really a crazy home run fest. I just lost a game 12-11. Both of us really worked the strike zone. But when you did come over the plate, it was bombs away. But I drew three walks in the game. I worked the count and forced him go to his bullpen really early. He started out the game hacking away, and I was able to get Carpenter into the 7th before I had to go to the bullpen.

But he scored all 12 runs on home runs. I think I scored 9 or 10 of my runs on home runs.

But the game is on the brink of being awsome online. I know I was frustrating the heck out of him by taking so many pitches. Not only that, I did not strike out much. Probably six. I got him 15 or 16 times. It was good for a couple of achievements.

the fun was finding pitches to confuse him. He finally stopped going after my 12-6 curveball in the dirt. But then I caught him looking for a couple of strikeouts by using the circle change, that stayed in the zone. I was able to use the slider the same way. When he started taking pitches, I started making him.

But the problem is you do have to come over the plate, and you will pay when you do. It ends up feeling more like softball. I think some settings that will tone down the long ball will go a long ways. It pays to just hold up on the left stick and generate as many long balls as possible. If more of those were outs, it may pay off to stop hitting flybals and just try to make contact.

But this is a great game online. I can't say that enough. Even though I lost that game, and it was a homerfest, it was a fantastic heads up battle.

The other things we need to do is keep from making it so easy to thow to a spot. Every ball is on purpose, as is every strike.

That sucks, I like realistic numbers.

And I was afreaid them taking the timing out of pitching would make it all pinpoint stuff.

Try playing the game on Legend I love the settings.

frankiemumbles wrote:

Try playing the game on Legend I love the settings.

I agree. The problem is if you want to take part in the ranked games, your only choice is All-Star. I was just pointing out that I don't think we want to run the tourney with those settings, because the game does play infinitely better on different settings. We can tone the the hitting down, and even making pitching harder.

I really want to emphasize that the batter/pitcher duel is so much more fun this year, because we have time to read ball or strike. But not so much that we won't jump on a bad pitch as well. that part is balanced really well.

Also, there are some claiming that you can't check swing. That is 100% false. I have had 6-10 check swings over the last two games I played, one online and one offline. What is really cool is that I have twice had ups have to rule if I went around. One of the times he ruled Pujols went around for strike three. I also had a check swing hit the bat and become a slow roller. This is a very cool part of using the right stick to swing.

Jayhawker wrote:
frankiemumbles wrote:

Try playing the game on Legend I love the settings.

I agree. The problem is if you want to take part in the ranked games, your only choice is All-Star. I was just pointing out that I don't think we want to run the tourney with those settings, because the game does play infinitely better on different settings. We can tone the the hitting down, and even making pitching harder.

I really want to emphasize that the batter/pitcher duel is so much more fun this year, because we have time to read ball or strike. But not so much that we won't jump on a bad pitch as well. that part is balanced really well.

Also, there are some claiming that you can't check swing. That is 100% false. I have had 6-10 check swings over the last two games I played, one online and one offline. What is really cool is that I have twice had ups have to rule if I went around. One of the times he ruled Pujols went around for strike three. I also had a check swing hit the bat and become a slow roller. This is a very cool part of using the right stick to swing.

Agreed!