Battlestar Galactica - Final Season Catch-All (SPOILERS)

Pages

np

Holy Frack!!! Um I wasn't expecting what just happened just now in the Officer's Quarters. (commenting on live program here)

kilroy0097 wrote:

Holy Frack!!! Um I wasn't expecting what just happened just now in the Officer's Quarters. (commenting on live program here)

Yeah, that was definitely unexpected. The OP may yet have to be revised.

Man... everyone is just losing their minds.

Wow...

I love this show.

Wow... so Ellen Tigh. WTF about Starbuck then?

Yea talk about confused. Starbuck miraculous resurrection. Model of Cylon no one has ever seen including the other Cylons. Ellen being the one. I guess maybe she might be coming back on the show then. I can't believe about Dee. Total blind side.

That felt... anticlimactic.

//Klaxxon On

They are all "Cylons" (aka the human race). Starbuck died on Earth and then was reborn via resurrection ship. Dee will be reborn as well. Helen Tigh is a red herring.

//Klaxxon Off

Old Man P π wrote:

That felt... anticlimactic.

Well, that would be because the climax is still nine episodes away.

I liked it, though. I was a little, "Whaat?" when Adama started his whole "kill me" scene, but I think I understand better where that came from once I thought about it a little more.

We had a hunch for Ellen. The question now is, what do they do now that Tigh killed the final model?

Could Starbuck be a young Ellen?

Holy frak. That was a gutshot of an episode.

Old Man P π wrote:

That felt... anticlimactic.

That's because this episode was supposed to air the week after the "finale" last year :).

So....how did everybody like the KFC "Frak Pack" ad? I guess KFC doesn't know what Frak means? Or were they serious about labeling a product as an alternate universe "f*ck Bucket"?

NSMike wrote:
Old Man P π wrote:

That felt... anticlimactic.

Well, that would be because the climax is still nine episodes away.

I liked it, though. I was a little, "Whaat?" when Adama started his whole "kill me" scene, but I think I understand better where that came from once I thought about it a little more.

I really need to stop climaxing so early.

I'm starting to wonder if the Hybrid's comment about Kara being the Harbinger of Death applies to the Cylons and not the humans.

I watched this after watching the Dalek/Cybermen season 2 finale of Dr. Who. To say that Dr Who wins that comparison is an understatement of epic proportions. BSG was good, but felt somewhat random.

I would say the randomness comes from the way Sci-Fi has horribly mismanaged the entire series.

This episode would have been a much logical place to split the series then simply making it to Earth. In a lot of ways, it felt like the real cliff-hanger. The 13th Tribe being "Cylons", Dee's death, Starbuck's apparent true death and resurrection, and Ellen apparently being the 12th model.

I really feel that the series is building to a fantastic ending. I currently think that the "humans" will wind up being some radical religious splinter group that sought to escape a society that achieved immortality or something and they are the ones that attacked Earth and then fled "Cylon" space.

Sephirotic wrote:

Could Starbuck be a young Ellen?

Adama and Tigh have known each other for 30 years; they've watched each other age (remember in the season 4.0 finale, Adama says, "You had hair when I first met you"). And I believe Tigh and Ellen were together since they were very young (wasn't there a flashback to when Tigh was younger, and Ellen had just run off on them, and he was contemplating suicide, but Adama saved him?).

So how come neither one of them looked at Starbuck -- or, as other speculation suggests, a Six -- and said "Boy, you look a lot like Ellen when she was younger?"

While in the rubble, Ellen said, "Everything is in place; we'll be reborn," to Saul. Which leads me to believe that, at least for then, resurrection technology was a new development (why else would she explicitly call out her ability to resurrect with her dying breath, if resurrection were something old hat, or even something they'd done before?).

Which makes me wonder -- were the Cylons on Earth even machines? Or were they humans that had developed resurrection technology, for whatever reason (perhaps they'd lost the ability to make babies or something), and they only became more machine-like as time went on?

Also: I so called it! Both Dee's suicide and Ellen as Final Fiver. Sleipnir can back me up.

Gameraotaku wrote:
Old Man P π wrote:

That felt... anticlimactic.

That's because this episode was supposed to air the week after the "finale" last year :).

So....how did everybody like the KFC "Frak Pack" ad? I guess KFC doesn't know what Frak means? Or were they serious about labeling a product as an alternate universe "f*ck Bucket"?

I watched it without commercials but this sounds hilarious.

Definitely understanding the randomness sentiments, it seems like this really would've fit better at the end of last season. A bunch of stuff is revealed and now they're going to finish things off.

Still damn good though.

Just watched it just now - glad to see it's still as unremittingly bleak as ever

Also: I so called it! Both Dee's suicide and Ellen as Final Fiver. Sleipnir can back me up.

Yeah - soon as Dee started babysitting Athena I got an inkling that was where she was headed
Ellen though - didn't guess that, it just seems a rather...dull...choice.

While in the rubble, Ellen said, "Everything is in place; we'll be reborn," to Saul. Which leads me to believe that, at least for then, resurrection technology was a new development (why else would she explicitly call out her ability to resurrect with her dying breath, if resurrection were something old hat, or even something they'd done before?).

Hmm...maybe it's more a literal rebirth rather than a resurrection ship style of thing (i.e over the centuries they are born, grow old, etc then die and are reborn again with the same personality/memories either deliberately hidden away in the subconscious or just faded over the 2000 odd years. Would explain the whole aging & hair thing.

rabbit wrote:

I watched this after watching the Dalek/Cybermen season 2 finale of Dr. Who. To say that Dr Who wins that comparison is an understatement of epic proportions. BSG was good, but felt somewhat random.

Yeah but characters in Doctor Who don't happily hum a tune, undress after a night out, and then shoot themselves in the head because the world is hopeless. Dualla's suicide pretty much is why BSG is a cut above any other science fiction T.V. ever; in other words, Ron Moore's tremendous Brass Balls.

And I watched the Season ender for "Season 4.0", and this episode slid right in nicely. Did not feel random at all. Blame Sci-Fi for chopping up the seasons like retards.

BSG certainly got my attention back. I hope the other nine episodes live up to the hype.

larrymadill wrote:

Yeah but characters in Doctor Who don't happily hum a tune, undress after a night out, and then shoot themselves in the head because the world is hopeless. Dualla's suicide pretty much is why BSG is a cut above any other science fiction T.V. ever; in other words, Ron Moore's tremendous Brass Balls.

Did you SEE the Season Finale to Season 2 of Dr. Who? Forgetting for a moment that my wife thinks David Tennant is hot, I openly wept like a BABY for 5 minutes at the end of that. Maybe not the "shocker," of the bullet, but also hardly the camp the old doctor is known for.

Regardless, I will admit, that was a fine, fine piece of direction there. I feel like the writting is off the rails though. I'm intrigued, but the edge on the dialog is WAY off peak. I didn't read credits, but I wouldn't be surprise to find there'd been a shift of writers in the last 4 episodes somewhere.

I didn't say it had jumped the shark, but I do feel like we're seeing a really compelling STORY being less elegantly put into WORDS.

Did you SEE the Season Finale to Season 2 of Dr. Who?

Definitely the best of the "new who" finales.

For some reason even though I've gotten over the whole "frak" terminology (for the most part: it still sounds absurd), seeing "Frak Earth" written on a bulk head just seemed wacky.

I'm not 100% sure where they're going with all this, but I'm going to be really disappointed if everyone was cylons all along.

kilroy0097 wrote:

Holy Frack!!! Um I wasn't expecting what just happened just now in the Officer's Quarters. (commenting on live program here)

Welcome back, BSG.

bennard wrote:

Wow... so Ellen Tigh. WTF about Starbuck then?

Good question. Don't forget that not only did Kara apparently resurrect, so did her entire Viper.

Nimcosi wrote:

//Klaxxon On

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that the siren during the nuclear attack on "Earth" was the same as the siren on the original BSG?

Gameraotaku wrote:

So....how did everybody like the KFC "Frak Pack" ad? I guess KFC doesn't know what Frak means? Or were they serious about labeling a product as an alternate universe "f*ck Bucket"?

Really? I must have missed that one.

stevenmack wrote:
While in the rubble, Ellen said, "Everything is in place; we'll be reborn," to Saul. Which leads me to believe that, at least for then, resurrection technology was a new development (why else would she explicitly call out her ability to resurrect with her dying breath, if resurrection were something old hat, or even something they'd done before?).

Hmm...maybe it's more a literal rebirth rather than a resurrection ship style of thing (i.e over the centuries they are born, grow old, etc then die and are reborn again with the same personality/memories either deliberately hidden away in the subconscious or just faded over the 2000 odd years. Would explain the whole aging & hair thing.

The 2000 year thing doesn't make any sense. Cylons were invented 50 years before the fall of the Colonies; now apparently they somehow existed 3600 years earlier and were the 13th Tribe that left Kobol? And "Earth" was apparently inhabited entirely by these Alt-Cylons while the other 12 tribes apparently built their own Cylons 2000 years after "Earth" was obliterated? And how does all this figure into Caprica?

stevenmack wrote:
Did you SEE the Season Finale to Season 2 of Dr. Who?

Definitely the best of the "new who" finales.

If that's the one that ends on the beach with the Doctor as an apparition, then yes, yes it was.

Rabbit speaks for me on this matter. BSG is good, but has been random throughout its run. I keep giving it a pass because I'm an absolute sucker for Starship Porn, and nobody on television does it better than BSG.

And the Dee scene was purely excellent.

Rat Boy wrote:

The 2000 year thing doesn't make any sense. Cylons were invented 50 years before the fall of the Colonies; now apparently they somehow existed 3600 years earlier and were the 13th Tribe that left Kobol? And "Earth" was apparently inhabited entirely by these Alt-Cylons while the other 12 tribes apparently built their own Cylons 2000 years after "Earth" was obliterated? And how does all this figure into Caprica?

When its all said and done, it will probably be better not to try and reconcile the resultant story with whatever they fed us when the series began. It's been clear that the original "12 models of skinjobs" story was jettisoned as soon as they started pimping the Final Five angle.

rabbit wrote:
larrymadill wrote:

Yeah but characters in Doctor Who don't happily hum a tune, undress after a night out, and then shoot themselves in the head because the world is hopeless. Dualla's suicide pretty much is why BSG is a cut above any other science fiction T.V. ever; in other words, Ron Moore's tremendous Brass Balls.

Did you SEE the Season Finale to Season 2 of Dr. Who? Forgetting for a moment that my wife thinks David Tennant is hot, I openly wept like a BABY for 5 minutes at the end of that. Maybe not the "shocker," of the bullet, but also hardly the camp the old doctor is known for.

Not to get into Doctor Who talk, but yeah I did, and yes it was pretty good, but I dunno ... didn't hit me quite like that. I was more emotional at the end of Season One (mainly because I didn't want Eccleston's Doctor to go).

A lot of it just comes down to preference. The kind of writing and direction that I'm attracted to is the bold, shocking hail mary stuff. Especially in T.V. which is a sea of bland mostly. Writing that, while not perfect verse, grabs the viewers by the scruff of the neck, forcibly wrenches them out of their comfort zone, and dangles them over a 100 foot cliff.

BSG, even warts and all, still works harder to break down the conventions of science fiction television and toss them all into a vat of burning oil.

Rat Boy wrote:

The 2000 year thing doesn't make any sense. Cylons were invented 50 years before the fall of the Colonies; now apparently they somehow existed 3600 years earlier and were the 13th Tribe that left Kobol? And "Earth" was apparently inhabited entirely by these Alt-Cylons while the other 12 tribes apparently built their own Cylons 2000 years after "Earth" was obliterated? And how does all this figure into Caprica?

Well, I assume we'll know by the tenth episode. I've kind of suspected since the end of Season 2 (er, I guess "2.5" in Sci-Fi channel speak) that there is some kind of commonality between Humans and Human Cylons.

And there is obviously something else going on, something mystical beyond just "They Made a Bunch of Robots", that will factor into the end of BSG and the start of Caprica.

I think comparing this episode, the beginning of a 10-episode series-ending arc, is a bit of an unfair comparison to a season finale from ANY series.

Whole lotta info straight from the horses mouths.

Pages