Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

We've had that problem too - only with This American Life, and only occasionally. We've had it happen with 2 different episodes, and when we tried again a few days later, it worked fine.

Well, good to know it's not just us. Still bizarre as hell, though.

I just watched Primer. It involves time travel, but it's not a scifi movie really. Hard to explain but I recommend it.

jonnypolite wrote:

We watched Let the Right One In, late last night. Wow, that was really good, best vampire movie i've seen in a LONG time. Understated and creepy.

I have to say it's definately now in my all time favorites catagory. I'm finding that the further I go from Hollywood produced titles, the more I enjoy cinema once again.

Dead Like Me - I so miss George. Sad there will never be any more episodes.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the doc "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is great.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...

"In America, we define ourselves in the superlative: we are the biggest, strongest, fastest country in the world. We reward speed, size and above all else: winning – at sport, at business and at war. Metaphorically we are a nation on steroids. Is it any wonder that so many of our heroes are on performance enhancing drugs? Blending comedy and pathos, Bigger, Stronger, Faster* is a collision of pop culture and first-person narrative, with a diverse cast including US Congressmen, professional athletes, medical experts and everyday gym rats. At its heart, this is the story of director Christopher Bell and his two brothers, who grew up idolizing muscular giants like Hulk Hogan, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and who went on to become members of the steroid-subculture in an effort to realize their American dream. When you discover that your heroes have all broken the rules, do you follow the rules, or do you follow your heroes? (Magnolia)"

I have recently been watching Californication. It is really good, and funny. Duchovny has great wit, and charm. Evan Handler is hilarious as well in his supporting role. And Natascha...whatsername is beautiful, keeps up with Duchovny very well.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

I just watched Primer. It involves time travel, but it's not a scifi movie really. Hard to explain but I recommend it.

Primer is great. It's less of a Quantum Leap/Star Trek time travel movie than a practical consideration of what problems even minor jumps through time could cause (to set the movie up without spoiling anything, you cannot travel farther back in time than when the machine is first turned on.)

It's also worth picking up the DVD. The commentaries are interesting, both the director's commentary and the crew commentary. You get a real insight into how they made the film for under $6,000.

KrazyTacoFO wrote:

I just watched Primer. It involves time travel, but it's not a scifi movie really. Hard to explain but I recommend it.

Seconded. Low budget, but big on ideas.

KingGorilla wrote:

I have recently been watching Californication. It is really good, and funny. Duchovny has great wit, and charm. Evan Handler is hilarious as well in his supporting role. And Natascha...whatsername is beautiful, keeps up with Duchovny very well.

I marathoned season one a couple of weekends ago. It was just so good I couldn't stop watching it.

Does Showtime use Netflix to get us interested in the series or something. I'm unclear as to why they don't have more seasons available to stream. I marathoned the first two seasons of Weeds. Now I have to wait for DVDs to keep watching.

Can we expect seasons three and four of Weeds and Dexter any time soon? It would be nice if HBO did the same with their shows.

I'm just curious how this gets paid for, and if there is not an incentive to make all of the episodes available.

Jayhawker wrote:

Does Showtime use Netflix to get us interested in the series or something. I'm unclear as to why they don't have more seasons available to stream. I marathoned the first two seasons of Weeds. Now I have to wait for DVDs to keep watching.

Can we expect seasons three and four of Weeds and Dexter any time soon? It would be nice if HBO did the same with their shows.

I'm just curious how this gets paid for, and if there is not an incentive to make all of the episodes available.

I think it depends on if they believe streaming will negatively impact DVD sales, whereas the older seasons have pretty much sold as many as they're ever going to.

And HBO has their own "On Demand", so that probably influences what they would want to stream through Netflix.

Speaking of Showtime, both seasons of Dead Like me are on Hulu right now. Funny ass show.

Right now people are testing the water with streaming television and music. Not much in the way of new releases because they are still married to the DVD. And many people think that downloads will be an easy transition.

And the sooner that they see the people with Netflix are already not buying DVDs or Blue Rays, that streaming is just an extension of their existing habit...things likely won't change quick. There is too much of that old mentality of if people only have the options we offer, they have to pay us for those.

I do know that Universal is in love with Netflix and Hulu though. What Hulu did for Battlestar was huge. The makers of the show said that if live broadcast, DVR, online streaming, and digital sales were combined Battlestar would be one of the top 5 rated shows in the world. If anyone can help lead the way, it is Universal.

KingGorilla wrote:

Speaking of Showtime, both seasons of Dead Like me are on Hulu right now. Funny ass show.

I've been watching it on Netflix streaming. I'd never seen it before, and it's great.

OG_slinger wrote:

IT Crowd Series 2

If anyone can get through "The Work Outing" episode without laughing your metaphorical arse off, I'll give you a shiny dime.

IUMogg wrote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the doc "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is great.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...

This IS a great film, and it's a film that really makes you question your preconceptions about something (and how often does THAT happen?) most us us have already formed a half-baked opinion about.

KingGorilla wrote:

And the sooner that they see the people with Netflix are already not buying DVDs or Blue Rays, that streaming is just an extension of their existing habit...things likely won't change quick. There is too much of that old mentality of if people only have the options we offer, they have to pay us for those.

Get back to me when we have the infrastructure to support true HD streaming on a mass scale. I've played many divx files on my 50" TV, and they look "good enough," but I want the choice to get media in the best possible sound and picture.

SommerMatt wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:

IT Crowd Series 2

If anyone can get through "The Work Outing" episode without laughing your metaphorical arse off, I'll give you a shiny dime.

IUMogg wrote:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the doc "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is great.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...

This IS a great film, and it's a film that really makes you question your preconceptions about something (and how often does THAT happen?) most us us have already formed a half-baked opinion about.

KingGorilla wrote:

And the sooner that they see the people with Netflix are already not buying DVDs or Blue Rays, that streaming is just an extension of their existing habit...things likely won't change quick. There is too much of that old mentality of if people only have the options we offer, they have to pay us for those.

Get back to me when we have the infrastructure to support true HD streaming on a mass scale. I've played many divx files on my 50" TV, and they look "good enough," but I want the choice to get media in the best possible sound and picture.

You will always be able to get discs. You can still bu LPs if that's your bag. But the mass just wants good enough quality, but ultra convenient. I think streamed content is going to be make huge inroads over the next couple of years. Blu-Ray will still exist, but it's getting closer and closer to missing the window to really thrive.

KingGorilla wrote:

Speaking of Showtime, both seasons of Dead Like me are on Hulu right now. Funny ass show.

Right now people are testing the water with streaming television and music. Not much in the way of new releases because they are still married to the DVD. And many people think that downloads will be an easy transition.

And the sooner that they see the people with Netflix are already not buying DVDs or Blue Rays, that streaming is just an extension of their existing habit...things likely won't change quick. There is too much of that old mentality of if people only have the options we offer, they have to pay us for those.

I do know that Universal is in love with Netflix and Hulu though. What Hulu did for Battlestar was huge. The makers of the show said that if live broadcast, DVR, online streaming, and digital sales were combined Battlestar would be one of the top 5 rated shows in the world. If anyone can help lead the way, it is Universal.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about this -- I got into Battlestar only after the series ended completely and was busy watching seasons 1-4 through netflix. 4.5 isn't quite out yet and Hulu doesn't have the early 4.5 seasons online anymore -- only the later ones. Unless I'm retarded, which is completely possible, since I'm a hulu newbie. So, in the meantime, Sad Panda and all the other internet memes will have to wait with me to see the final /half/ of the season and what happens once they all land on earth.

Jayhawker wrote:

You will always be able to get discs. You can still bu LPs if that's your bag. But the mass just wants good enough quality, but ultra convenient.

I agree. There are advantages to both systems. I've been watching Supernatural on DVD from Netflix at the same time I've been watching The Tudors on instant watch. Streaming is great because I don't have to use up a DVD slot to watch the show. DVDs are great for the consistent image quality and being able to quickly fast forward through the scenes I don't want to see. I like 'em both.

BlackSheep wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

I do know that Universal is in love with Netflix and Hulu though. What Hulu did for Battlestar was huge. The makers of the show said that if live broadcast, DVR, online streaming, and digital sales were combined Battlestar would be one of the top 5 rated shows in the world. If anyone can help lead the way, it is Universal.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about this -- I got into Battlestar only after the series ended completely and was busy watching seasons 1-4 through netflix. 4.5 isn't quite out yet and Hulu doesn't have the early 4.5 seasons online anymore -- only the later ones. Unless I'm retarded, which is completely possible, since I'm a hulu newbie. So, in the meantime, Sad Panda and all the other internet memes will have to wait with me to see the final /half/ of the season and what happens once they all land on earth.

Just stop watching now. You'll be better off for it.

zeroKFE wrote:

Has anyone watched This American Life season 2 via their Xbox?

When we play the episodes on the computer they are fine, but when we try to watch via the Xbox the audio track is messed up. The background music is there, but the voices of the narrator and people being interviewed are not. Is it like this for everyone or just us?

I just tried watching it and had the same issue. Oddly, when I got the 'your internet connection has slowed . . . ' message and the video restarted, the audio was fine. Try starting and then immediately downloading something if you really want the Xbox experience.

garion333 wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

I do know that Universal is in love with Netflix and Hulu though. What Hulu did for Battlestar was huge. The makers of the show said that if live broadcast, DVR, online streaming, and digital sales were combined Battlestar would be one of the top 5 rated shows in the world. If anyone can help lead the way, it is Universal.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about this -- I got into Battlestar only after the series ended completely and was busy watching seasons 1-4 through netflix. 4.5 isn't quite out yet and Hulu doesn't have the early 4.5 seasons online anymore -- only the later ones. Unless I'm retarded, which is completely possible, since I'm a hulu newbie. So, in the meantime, Sad Panda and all the other internet memes will have to wait with me to see the final /half/ of the season and what happens once they all land on earth.

Just stop watching now. You'll be better off for it.

Nah, it was getting pretty hokey with all the pre-destined religious hooha over the last two seasons. I can't just leave it like it is, even if the last half of the season is pure silliness filled with silliness topped with a silly sauce garnished with more silly.

BlackSheep wrote:
garion333 wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

I do know that Universal is in love with Netflix and Hulu though. What Hulu did for Battlestar was huge. The makers of the show said that if live broadcast, DVR, online streaming, and digital sales were combined Battlestar would be one of the top 5 rated shows in the world. If anyone can help lead the way, it is Universal.

Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about this -- I got into Battlestar only after the series ended completely and was busy watching seasons 1-4 through netflix. 4.5 isn't quite out yet and Hulu doesn't have the early 4.5 seasons online anymore -- only the later ones. Unless I'm retarded, which is completely possible, since I'm a hulu newbie. So, in the meantime, Sad Panda and all the other internet memes will have to wait with me to see the final /half/ of the season and what happens once they all land on earth.

Just stop watching now. You'll be better off for it.

Nah, it was getting pretty hokey with all the pre-destined religious hooha over the last two seasons. I can't just leave it like it is, even if the last half of the season is pure silliness filled with silliness topped with a silly sauce garnished with more silly.

What if the last 20 minutes are pure silly puree?

Spoilers, gentlemen!

Been getting into the "Jekyll" series. And if your a Bruce Campbell fan (this means you like your movies rated B), You have to check out "My Name is Bruce"!

This series probably isn't on 'Watch Instantly' yet, it's just being aired in the UK, but the BBC series 'On thin ice' is very good. It tracks three guys as they attempt to win a race to the south pole.

SommerMatt wrote:
OG_slinger wrote:

IT Crowd Series 2

If anyone can get through "The Work Outing" episode without laughing your metaphorical arse off, I'll give you a shiny dime.

IT Crowd is very funny. The scene when one of the guys is caught using the disabled toilets made me laugh a lot.

InigoMantoya wrote:

Been getting into the "Jekyll" series. And if your a Bruce Campbell fan (this means you like your movies rated B), You have to check out "My Name is Bruce"!

I did happen to see "My Name is Bruce." Quite the experience, making a movie that mocks your life and career. Brilliant!

Did anyone mention Avatar: Book 1 yet? It's on there.

BlackSheep wrote:
InigoMantoya wrote:

Been getting into the "Jekyll" series. And if your a Bruce Campbell fan (this means you like your movies rated B), You have to check out "My Name is Bruce"!

I did happen to see "My Name is Bruce." Quite the experience, making a movie that mocks your life and career. Brilliant!

I heard a pretty good interview with Bruce Campbell on All Things Considered a few weeks ago. The making of that movie sounded like a hoot.

I swear I mentioned Jekyll in here somewhere. Some fine viewing there. Set aside an afternoon, invite some friends, and just watch the whole run. I think it will clock in around 7 hours or so.

Watched Let The Right One In over the weekend. Wasn't super-impressed. It's alright, but didn't live up to the raving I've heard other people do about it.

Jayhawker wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

I did happen to see "My Name is Bruce." Quite the experience, making a movie that mocks your life and career. Brilliant!

I heard a pretty good interview with Bruce Campbell on All Things Considered a few weeks ago. The making of that movie sounded like a hoot.

I dunno, I felt like it was trying too hard.

I enjoyed it in a campy ha-ha sort of way, but in the end, I think he had more fun making it than I did watching it.

garion333 wrote:
jonnypolite wrote:

We watched Let the Right One In, late last night. Wow, that was really good, best vampire movie i've seen in a LONG time. Understated and creepy.

That's been sitting in my queue for a while. Since I trust your music taste, looks like I'll move this up to the top and trust your taste in movies.

jonnypolite wrote:

I hope i haven't squandered your trust:) Don't want to build it up too much, it's a very quiet movie. But I really liked it.

Finally watched this yesterday. I thought it was much better than the premise made it out to be. Definitely felt fresh, which is not something I expected from a vampire film.