Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

iaintgotnopants wrote:

I've never watched it before but I'm tempted to now because I've been listening to the Dead Eyes podcast (which is a deep dive by comedian Connor Ratliff on why Tom Hanks fired him from a bit part in Band of Brothers).

Well, that's crazy! Why did he get fired?

The casting directed said that Hanks thought he had dead eyes (hence the name of the podcast). Hanks is the guest on the last episode of the podcast (this all happened, like, three years) so we'll see what he says.

Interesting!

DeThroned wrote:

Anyone watch the Matt Rife special? I went from being super excited to seeing him next year to "maybe I can sell the tickets and make a ton of money". I'll still go if I can't sell them but that comedy special did him absolutely no favors.

I've enjoyed watching bits of him and a special on Youtube, but this Netflix special... yeah, didn't do it for me.

I watched a Bill Burr special around the time he first appeared on The Mandalorian and was also disappointed. I was confused why there was so much fuss over a guy whose "humor" was like half a step above, "Damn, women be shoppin', don't they?" Maybe I am a snob or too woke, or whatever, but it was grating and bigoted.

There are some great new movies on Netflix UK. Tracks (about Robyn Davidson's nine-month journey with camel across the Australian desert) is excellent and I’ve started watching Belfast about a street of mixed Protistants and Catholics.

Higgledy wrote:

There are some great new movies on Netflix UK. Tracks (about Robyn Davidson's nine-month journey with camel across the Australian desert) is excellent and I’ve started watching Belfast about a street of mixed Protistants and Catholics.

Tracks is amazing.

So is Belfast. Very worthy award winner

Pete Holmes stand up special “Im not for everyone” made me laugh so hard I couldn't breath. One of the better ones Ive seen in a long time.

Finally got around to watching All the Light You Cannot See. Hugh is always amazing.

Finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off today. Definitely not what I expected but in the end I enjoyed it. I don't know if I just didn't pay close enough attention to the trailers or what, but I somehow thought it was a more comic faithful adaptation, not a completely original story. So the end of the first episode threw me for a loop and I spent the next couple episodes wondering WTF is going on. But finally settled in and the last 2 or 3 brought it together nicely for me.

Stele wrote:

Finished Scott Pilgrim Takes Off today. Definitely not what I expected but in the end I enjoyed it. I don't know if I just didn't pay close enough attention to the trailers or what, but I somehow thought it was a more comic faithful adaptation, not a completely original story. So the end of the first episode threw me for a loop and I spent the next couple episodes wondering WTF is going on. But finally settled in and the last 2 or 3 brought it together nicely for me.

The "bait-and-switch" was very intentional. All trailers and promotional material were specifically curated to only showcase the familiar from previous tellings of Scott Pilgrim so that the end of that 1st episode could swing as hard as it did. I know I was cackling with delight as a result.

I'm rewatching and catching up with Power Rangers from the beginning. Show is terrible, I love it. Go go power rangers you mighty morphing power rangers.

Fun fact, I have action figure of myself as a power ranger.

I think they need to do another round of trailers that explains the actual premise of Takes Off. Learning what it was definitely kicked it up higher in my watch priority.

Baron Of Hell wrote:

I'm rewatching and catching up with Power Rangers from the beginning. Show is terrible, I love it. Go go power rangers you mighty morphing power rangers.

Fun fact, I have action figure of myself as a power ranger.

Decent show but their catch phrase ripped off Morbius.

Paleocon wrote:

Finally got around to watching All the Light You Cannot See. Hugh is always amazing.

I second this! Great acting all around.

The new CGI _Resident Evil_ movie is pretty fun. It’s like most of the others but I enjoy their brand of inanity.

Just came across a video that showed Lockwood and Co cancelled on the teaser.
Dag nabbit! That blows.

fangblackbone wrote:

Just came across a video that showed Lockwood and Co cancelled on the teaser.
Dag nabbit! That blows.

The show didn’t deviate much from the books, so if you haven’t read them, now’s your chance.

I probably will. I have to finish Nona the Ninth first.

I finished Blue Eye Samurai yesterday, and I thought it was fantastic from beginning to end.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

New Mike Birbiglia standup is stellar.

Mike Birbiglia is a treasure and his new special is wonderful! If anyone who hasn't heard of him is looking for some good stand-up, definitely check him out, but maybe start with "What I should have said was nothing" to dip your toes into the pool.

Binged Fall of the House of Usher over the weekend and it was fantastic. Stellar cast and excellent story, if a bit predictable. Definitely recommended.

NEW SEASON OF HILDA!!!!!! YAY!

The Crown: Season 6, Episode 1

Who knew the future King of England mains either Blanka or E. Honda in Street Fighter 2?

Rat Boy wrote:

The Crown: Season 6, Episode 1

Who knew the future King of England mains either Blanka or E. Honda in Street Fighter 2?

SPOILERS YOU VILLAIN!

There's got to be somebody running around the UK bragging about how once in their childhood they hadouken'ed a prince.

Gran Turismo just came to Netflix. Was a solid watch based on true events.

I read that the guy the film is based on was also one of the stunt drivers for the production. It's pretty cool that they were able to involve him like that.

The Crown Season 6, Part 2:

There's something about the casting that's really distracting me:

Prince William looks like young Brad Pitt

Kate Middleton looks like young Katie Holmes

Prince Harry looks like he'll be cast by James Gunn to play the Joker.

Blue Eye Samurai was fantastic. A work of art that subverts expectations. Someone described it as a adult version of Mulan. Oddly some of the voice actors are the same. The only negative for me was pacing was off at times and the ending wasn't the best. I liked the last episode but it was the weakest episode. How I feel about the last episode might change when season two comes out.