Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

fangblackbone wrote:
I felt Sandman had a quality dip on the last arc (last 4 episodes, I think), but still enjoyed it on the whole.

Sorry, I could not disagree more. Highlights:

Spoiler:

Battle of wits with Lucifer
Fiddler's Greens
Corinthian showdown
Unity + Lucienne
Galt's transformation

Don't need to be sorry. We all can have different opinions.
Wasn't that thing with Lucifer in the first 6 episodes?

Oh snap, that's a SERIES? I thought it was just going to be a feature-length movie. Looks great!

I'm in, my wife loves Wednesday. We did an Addams family group costume for Halloween one year, it was awesome.

Bonus 11th episode of Sandman is now up on Netflix.

Spoiler:

A Dream of A Thousand Cats/Calliope

It's going to be a long day waiting until I have a chance to sit down and watch.

FYI the new episode is animated

edit - first one only but it is short. Second one is good though.

Both of these stories were included in the outstanding audio book they released last year

I haven’t watched these yet but as a fan of the comics can I humbly request you do not watch

Spoiler:

A dream of a thousand cats with your cat in the room

Just in case.

bbk1980 wrote:

I haven’t watched these yet but as a fan of the comics can I humbly request you do not watch

Spoiler:

A dream of a thousand cats with your cat in the room

Just in case.

Both stories were well written, but just a little too dark for my tastes what with

Spoiler:

one featuring animal abuse, the other rape

So, no sh*t, ever since there has been talk of a Sandman adaptation, I've scoffed "They'll never get to do the fun stuff, like {issue/episode we're all putting spoiler tags on}!"

That new Sandman episode was dark but I enjoyed it as it didn't feel out if place for the show.

Spoiler:

if someone game me a Greek muse I would release them asap. Come to my creepy house and surprise you are a slave owner. Also a Greek muse implies the gods exist and that is terrifying. I can't say i would release the muse immediately as I would probably need 30 min to stop freaking out.

SallyNasty wrote:

RRR is f*cking bonkers and I love it.

My wife and I finally saw this today and… it might be my favorite movie in years. At least the movie I’ve enjoyed the most end to end. The story, the friendship, the music, the action. Absolutely incredible.

EDIT: Fixed autocorrect

DSGamer wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

RRR is f*cking bonkers and I love it.

My wife and I finally saw this today and… it might be my favorite movie in years. At least the movie I’ve enjoyed the lost end to end. The story, the friendship, the music, the action. Absolutely incredible.

Woot! I need to watch it again...

It was amazing. The song about the flag at the end seemed uncomfortably jingoistic to me, but mostly due to my baggage with the American flag. It helped to learn that the flag they were using wasn't the current Indian flag, but the first unofficial flag of India.

My wife noped out of it in the opening scene with the woman and said she doesn't want to watch a movie like that. I haven't gone back to watch it on my own yet.

ranalin wrote:

I'm pretty sure them owning Sandman doesn't affect Netflix's current deals. I was under the impression that Sandman was approved for 3 seasons up front? Gaiman and the actors were talking about additional seasons on the press tour.

Apparently not since Gaiman's now saying that even with two weeks being the most streamed show on Netflix a second season still may not happen. This might be why they dropped the 11th episode that long after the initial release.

ranalin wrote:

Dammit, just when I was fine letting netflix lapse this month. It's like they have just enough content to keep me coming back for more.

Rat Boy wrote:
ranalin wrote:

I'm pretty sure them owning Sandman doesn't affect Netflix's current deals. I was under the impression that Sandman was approved for 3 seasons up front? Gaiman and the actors were talking about additional seasons on the press tour.

Apparently not since Gaiman's now saying that even with two weeks being the most streamed show on Netflix a second season still may not happen. This might be why they dropped the 11th episode that long after the initial release.

I've spend the last 25 years thinking that The Sandman could never be adapted faithfully to TV or film. Now that I've been proven wrong, if they aren't able to carry the story through to the end, that will truly be dream crushing.

Do we just need a 1000 of us to dream future seasons into existence?

Clumber wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Dammit, just when I was fine letting netflix lapse this month. It's like they have just enough content to keep me coming back for more.

I hadn't even heard of that movie and now I can't wait!

It is impossible to watch RRR with out a dumb smile on your face in parts and a "damm the British deserve to we flushed off the earth" in others.

SallyNasty wrote:
Clumber wrote:
ranalin wrote:

Dammit, just when I was fine letting netflix lapse this month. It's like they have just enough content to keep me coming back for more.

I hadn't even heard of that movie and now I can't wait!

Hell yes. I would watch Allison Janney read a phone book.

Recognized Jurnee Smollett immediately from Lovecraft Country.

I just want a friendship like this. Is that too much to ask?

I've long maintained that Riverdale has transcended modern pop-critical conceptions and even language. If, of it, you say tedious things like "the writing is awful" or use any form of the word "cringe," you have fallen into a trap the insanity of the show has set for you. To illustrate this, here are a few things that have or are happening in the most recent season:

Spoiler:

The first 5 episodes took place in an eerie mirror world, ruminating on the nature of fiction, culminating (for now?) in two Jugheads and mirror-world Betty uniting forces against mirror-world Archie who, having previously died and returned to life, murdered the rest of the cast to preserve the unraveling of reality in the hopes his dad might also return to life.

Spoiler:

Veronica enlisted a Russian assassin to hit her father, series-long antagonist Hiram Lodge. While she has second thoughts, it is too late: the assassin succeeds (for now?), and Hiram is quite dead.

Spoiler:

Cheryl has been possessed by the spirit of her ancestor Abigail, a Victorian era lesbian witch. This has required only a minor modification in the actor's usual performance.

Spoiler:

TBK, the Trash Bag Killer, has returned, and has dismembered (he may still be alive, though) Betty's sh*tty ex--I'm pretty sure it's her new helpful FBI underling.

Oh, and everyone is developing for real superpowers, and the big threat they are facing appears to be Satan in Needful Things mode. The show is incredible. If you invoke the basic bitch anodyne platitudes about structure and whatnot of the modern recap parlance, you've already lost.

I'm operating on the theory that my enjoyment of hearing people talk about Riverdale is at least as great as if I actually watched Riverdale.

hbi2k wrote:

I'm operating on the theory that my enjoyment of hearing people talk about Riverdale is at least as great as if I actually watched Riverdale.

This is me with Game of Thrones, only I believe my enjoyment of people talking about it is greater than what I would have gotten out of actually watching it.

Tscott wrote:
hbi2k wrote:

I'm operating on the theory that my enjoyment of hearing people talk about Riverdale is at least as great as if I actually watched Riverdale.

This is me with Game of Thrones, only I believe my enjoyment of people talking about it is greater than what I would have gotten out of actually watching it.

If you don't mind knowing that it ends on a cliffhanger, it really is a damn fine four seasons of television and not a minute more.