Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

Mantid wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

One Punch Man, on the other hand, is a delight. How can Netflix only have 1 season?!

Because Hulu has exclusive rights to season 2 in NA. At least for a time.

Same in Europe. I can only see season 1.

Watched the last 2 seasons of 3%.
It started well enough, but characters start having some idiotic choices and the plot ends up being a bit contrived with a few hard to swallow coincidences.

zeroKFE wrote:

A PSA since Netflix didn’t see fit to scream in our face about it, like it clearly should have:

The new season of British Bakeoff is being added as it airs in the UK. Only one episode so far, but it’s off to a great start as usual.

Chaz wrote:

In case any US folks missed it, Netflix is getting episodes of the current season basically as they air. The first episode is up, new ones every Friday. Hooray, I won't have to pirate them!

I guess someone missed it.

Wrapped up S3 of Money Heist last night. It was entertaining enough, but felt kind of unnecessary. I'd recommend stopping after S2 for anyone else planning to watch!

Fredrik_S wrote:

After watching things like what Laika does

Not to nitpick but what Laika does is stop-motion, not puppetry. Wholly different. And we can agree here, I absolutely adore Laika and what they do.

Where's my Dark Crystal spin-off starring Hup and Deet's dads?

Grenn wrote:
cerithe wrote:

If you have enjoyed Stranger Things, make sure to check out Erased. It is about a Japanese manga artist named Satoru who finds he has the ability to time travel. It is pure Japan in style, make sure to watch it in Japanese w/ English subtitles.

My family recently had a Japanese exchange student, and stumbled onto this while trying to find something for her to watch one evening.

I had some issues with some leaps of logic the ending took, but over all a very enjoyable series.

I watched Erased today. I was expecting it to be more science-fictiony, but it ended up being an incredibly heartwarming story. Very much felt like a live-action adaptation of an anime, which was an adaptation of a manga... which, coincidentally, it is.

I just finished Mindhunter S1 and S2 and can say they were amazing. Anna Torv was awesome as usual!

Stele wrote:

BttF and the Goonies are classics though. And it really is just swearing. Even the "violence" in Goonies is almost comical. A couple of guns but no one is shot. Swords, but no one is stabbed. Booby traps but no one is smashed. :D

There is also the threat of “hand in blender”.

Also a brief comical sequence where a statue gets knocked over and they glue the penis on upside down. I remember this well, because we actually watched this in our school in like 5th grade and one of the teachers got offended and walked her entire class out.

merphle wrote:
Grenn wrote:
cerithe wrote:

If you have enjoyed Stranger Things, make sure to check out Erased. It is about a Japanese manga artist named Satoru who finds he has the ability to time travel. It is pure Japan in style, make sure to watch it in Japanese w/ English subtitles.

My family recently had a Japanese exchange student, and stumbled onto this while trying to find something for her to watch one evening.

I had some issues with some leaps of logic the ending took, but over all a very enjoyable series.

I watched Erased today. I was expecting it to be more science-fictiony, but it ended up being an incredibly heartwarming story. Very much felt like a live-action adaptation of an anime, which was an adaptation of a manga... which, coincidentally, it is.

So if I'm going to try one, would you suggest the live action version or the anime first? So confusing!

ComfortZone wrote:
merphle wrote:
Grenn wrote:
cerithe wrote:

If you have enjoyed Stranger Things, make sure to check out Erased. It is about a Japanese manga artist named Satoru who finds he has the ability to time travel. It is pure Japan in style, make sure to watch it in Japanese w/ English subtitles.

My family recently had a Japanese exchange student, and stumbled onto this while trying to find something for her to watch one evening.

I had some issues with some leaps of logic the ending took, but over all a very enjoyable series.

I watched Erased today. I was expecting it to be more science-fictiony, but it ended up being an incredibly heartwarming story. Very much felt like a live-action adaptation of an anime, which was an adaptation of a manga... which, coincidentally, it is.

So if I'm going to try one, would you suggest the live action version or the anime first? So confusing!

I watched the live action version, with Japanese audio and English subtitles. I haven't read the manga or seen the anime, but I believe they all tell the exact same story (scene-for-scene, even). So it all comes down to your personal preference. I think the live action version makes it feel like a more real, more authentic story.

The GF and I finished watching Hyperdrive and Rust Valley this weekend. They're some fun car shows. We started to go through Grand Design because restoration shows and building ones are always interesting to watch.

Dominic Knight wrote:

The GF and I finished watching Hyperdrive and Rust Valley this weekend. They're some fun car shows. We started to go through Grand Design because restoration shows and building ones are always interesting to watch.

IMO, if you're interested in car builds for the mechanical design, there are many youtube channels that do this better than any TV produced show around. I watch these all the time, it's my guilty pleasure. I watch them the way my wife watches house flip shows

One that's been around awhile that has nice humor on top of a lot of engineering of crazy things to fit a Celica GT4 powertrain in an original Mini is the Project Binky show. It was supposed to be done in a few months, but it's been going on for years now:

Dry British humor, too.

I think I just get tired of the fake drama most of the car shows on TV seem to think they have to have. I just want to see cool cars and cool projects. Whether it's a rebuild of a crashed supercar, to a cool project like Project Binky.

(Other channels in the genre: Goonzquad, B is for Build, Tavarish, Alex Rebuilds, Might Car Mods...etc.)

That said, Hyperdrive seems cool because it's American Ninja Warriors in an actual competition. I can do without all the America's Got Talent sob stories about the participants, though

PaladinTom wrote:

That's what I said, "booby traps!"

I think we quit the Dark Crystal last night after episode 4.

We wanted to like it so much. We watched all the previews, behind the scenes, and trailers. Maybe we built it up too much? The muppets are definitely the primary problem for us. We could probably overlook that though if the story and dialog were compelling. It just didn't click for us. I'm honestly befuddled why it's getting such good reviews. Maybe the nostalgia? My wife loved the movie and has a higher tolerance for shows like these and she was the one who bailed us over to Carnival Row.

I was having problems with the puppets initially for the first few episodes and almost deleted it off my watch list. But I loved the original movie so I pushed through and just finished episode 6 last night. It may be just that the story is moving better of the change of scenery has helped but it appears that the puppetry in the last few episodes has gotten a lot better. The puppetry in first 2 episodes just seemed very jerky with no facial expression or body language and the story was very bland and slow. I even caught a couple of glimpses of arm rods. But the last few episodes have been exceptional and the story has really taken off. I don't want to give spoilers, but lets just say there's some parts that definitely move and you can't even tell they are puppets.

I'm glad I did not give up after the 1st few episodes now. So I would say give episodes 5 and 6 a try.

Dominic Knight wrote:

The GF and I finished watching Hyperdrive and Rust Valley this weekend. They're some fun car shows. We started to go through Grand Design because restoration shows and building ones are always interesting to watch.

I’ve almost finished Hyperdrive S1. Think of it as drift racing meets American Ninja Warrior. Watching it is like eating Captain Crunch while playing with Hotwheels.

MannishBoy wrote:

That said, Hyperdrive seems cool because it's American Ninja Warriors in an actual competition. I can do without all the America's Got Talent sob stories about the participants, though :)

We skipped all the sob stories and went straight to the races every time. The only person I legit felt sorry for was the girl in the first episode

Spoiler:

whose car died and she couldn't finish

.

Re: Car Restoration - I watch mostly stuff on Youtube anyway for this. But this was an interesting show that was mostly highlighting a guy's ridiculous addiction/spending habit that was ultimately ruining his business. It takes place in upper BC and the Canadian accents are strong.

It’s been hell at work for months, so i probably missed the announcement, but I saw Evangelion was added to Netflix recently. Haven’t watched that show since freshman year in college.

The second half/last third of Ip Man 3.

The first half of the movie feels very much like it’s settling into the formula of the first two. Family scenes. Ip Man being a decent bloke, a few fights with individuals and groups building up to a fight with a big bad (in this case Mike Tyson proving once and for all he can’t act. Even when contrasted with several English blokes who REALLY can’t act.)

I have a fondness for the first two movies and this one is pleasant enough so I stuck with it. Suddenly though, in the last third the movie, it took off and became beautiful, touching and moving beyond words. It also turned the three films into a true trilogy. So much so that you really need to see all three to appreciate this one. What made it more moving for me was the reminder that these films are based on real people and that this movies events took place only three years before I was born.

TAZ89 wrote:

I just finished Mindhunter S1 and S2 and can say they were amazing. Anna Torv was awesome as usual!

I usually don't enjoy crime shows, be they fiction or documentary, but Mindhunter is excellent filmmaking. Characterization that reminds me of the best of Mad Men.

My wife and I were planning on watching an episode a week but ended up finishing it in two days and talking about it for days after instead.

Just finished The Dark Crystal series. I hated the movie as a kid and hated it even more when I rewatched it last week. The series was a joy though. Took a bit to get into the puppets low range of emoting but by the second episode I was ok with it. Some parts were super gross, might not want to be eating during any meal scenes.

I've had more than one conversation with friends recently where we wonder how much longer we'll subscribe to Netflix as they continue to drop the charade of caring about quality and bold vision, and get much more brazen about sloping algorithmic pitch-based content into the trough that we might gorge ourselves while they churn up the next batch. Here are some things I've attempted recently:

I also watched Hyperdrive, and found it mostly fun garbage, perfect for working from home or repairing bikes. Dumb as hell, wish they'd gone more in depth on the cars, and terrible, terrible commenting. Hated how car guy kept praising the out-of-control kid--I know it was a solitary race, but he seemed like a dick, and his style is the sort that gets people killed.

Based on my viewing of Hyperdrive, Netflix recommended Fastest Car, which is straight up garbage. Billed as a contest between supercars and tricked out "sleepers," since it's determined by a drag race, the show has to fill 45 minutes around the 15 seconds that matter. It does so with classic sports film testimony style bits with plinking piano music and slow motion as the racers platitude about their cars (too briefly), the public education system, Texas, how losing is unacceptable, and whatever other sort of time filler is available. I started skipping to the last 7 minutes of each episode.

Umbrella Acadmey's "What if 'Days of Future Past,' but The Royal Tennenbaums?" had me saying "I'm not this cheap." Didn't make it past episode 1.

But I was cheap enough for "What if The Raid, but Airbender-verse?" Wu Assassins. Loses the thread too much to be as great as I wanted it to be, but it settled in fine into the latter-era Arrow groove of providing a great fight every episode.

I love The Dark Crystal. Every moment of it is a remarkable accomplishment of artistry, and I'm very happy that all the materials and reviews have made sure to credit the puppeteer performers along with the vocal performers.

Re. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance's final episode:

Spoiler:

That was the most disturbing and disgusting thing I've seen a Mark Hamill character ever do and he's been the Joker for the last 27 years.

Season 3 of Dear White People is a mess. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, loved the characters and thought it was funny and thought provoking. But in season 3, one of the main characters is trying to find an idea for a film for her thesis and just filming random things and hoping it comes together- that pretty much sums up season 3 in a nutshell. I should've taken the hint when they made the "you're acting like someone in the 3rd season of a Netflix show" joke TWICE in the first episode of the season.

Still, seasons 1 and 2 are recommended if you're at all interested.

I enjoyed Umbrella Academy. The thing about Netflix original programming is that they are casting a very wide net. You may watch a lot of frogs before finding your prince, but there is so much there, you are likely to find one. Eventually.

BadKen wrote:

I enjoyed Umbrella Academy. The thing about Netflix original programming is that they are casting a very wide net. You may watch a lot of frogs before finding your prince, but there is so much there, you are likely to find one. Eventually.

I absolutely loved Umbrella Academy. I mean, it's based on a comic, so I doubt the algorithm has that much say.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Based on my viewing of Hyperdrive, Netflix recommended Fastest Car, which is straight up garbage. Billed as a contest between supercars and tricked out "sleepers," since it's determined by a drag race, the show has to fill 45 minutes around the 15 seconds that matter. It does so with classic sports film testimony style bits with plinking piano music and slow motion as the racers platitude about their cars (too briefly), the public education system, Texas, how losing is unacceptable, and whatever other sort of time filler is available. I started skipping to the last 7 minutes of each episode.

Fastest Car is worth a watch just because of the bizarro people they drag up out of that subculture. We've got a.) a guy who doesn't want his daughter to go to college because, quote: "I made more money doing illegal street races than my professor made in a year", there's the guy who talks wistfully about "Paul" up until the reveal that he was the first guy on the scene when Fast and Furious star Paul Walker died. There's also the Nigerian-American dude who turned his street racing hobby into a legitimate career and actually seems kind of cool.

The racing was almost besides the point (and I've never found drag racing very interesting). I just wanted to follow these people around and see how they interacted with the real world.

The racing was almost besides the point (and I've never found drag racing very interesting). I just wanted to follow these people around and see how they interacted with the real world.

Yeah, exactly -- the drag race concept mostly felt like a thematically appropriate framing device to do what the show is really interested in, which is to examine the lives and personalities of people across the broad spectrum of American car culture. It maybe wasn't the most erudite or skillful example of documentary filmmaking, but we found it enjoyable and interesting nonetheless.

Finish A Series of Unfortunate Events and liked it for the most part. They didn't nail the ending but the ride was fun.

Watched the first episode of Better than Us. Seems like it will be another Humans or Detroit type show. Two of the characters even look like characters from Humans and play the same type of roles so far. Liked the first episode but it seems like it will be paint by numbers robot uprising show.