Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

I watched 3-4 episodes and that was enough for me. Just not my kind of thing.

Honk if you're horny!

A couple of the skits fell flat for me but I watched all the episodes in one sitting and wish there were more. Surrealist/absurdist humor is right my alley. Right up there.

It is likely no surprise to anyone here, but I loved it and I think Tim Robinson is hilarious. I honestly think it's the first show to make me laugh out loud in over a decade.

He has an episode on the Netflix show The Characters that I've watched like 4 times now.

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

SallyNasty wrote:

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

I think this is one of those book to film adaptations that almost requires having read the book to get any sort of bearing on.

SallyNasty wrote:

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

It won't.

SallyNasty wrote:

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

I gotta be honest, when I watched this I paused it about 30 minutes in, went and read the synopsis on Wikipedia and then watched the rest of it. It helped understand what was going on, but didn't really improve the viewing experience. It was OK but nothing more.

SallyNasty wrote:

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

Thought-provoking yet primarily disappointing is the best I could muster come the credits. And that is being kind. I recall my wife being exasperated in her rather audible displeasure and disdain.

SallyNasty wrote:

So I am finally getting around to watching Cloud Atlas. I am confused as hell. I love the Wachowski's work but this one is almost unwatchable. I have about 15 minutes left, hopefully the ending ties it all together and will change my opinion.

I really liked it but can see why people wouldn't dig it.

Apropos of nothing, but I love (narrator: he didn’t love it) the term “thought provoking.”

Unless you’re dead, everything provokes thought. Even if the thought is “finally, I can go pee!”

I think what people mean is that the thoughts that the thing you just watched provoked were the same as the thoughts that the author wanted to provoke. I understand that this is unnecessarily cumbersome to say, so everyone shortens it. It still strikes me as a tautological statement.

Kind of like when advertisers decided that “buy one get one” was an acceptable substitute for “buy one get one free.” The second is a deal, the first is the definition of a transaction.

/rant

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:

I think this is one of those book to film adaptations that almost requires having read the book to get any sort of bearing on.

But if you read the book, you also leave disappointed because you can't understand how someone read a 500+ page book and took "everything is connected" from it and not much else. I guess I can appreciate how they made an attempt to film an unfilmable book but not enough to ever watch it again.

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Apropos of nothing, but I love (narrator: he didn’t love it) the term “thought provoking.”

Unless you’re dead, everything provokes thought. Even if the thought is “finally, I can go pee!”

I think what people mean is that the thoughts that the thing you just watched provoked were the same as the thoughts that the author wanted to provoke. I understand that this is unnecessarily cumbersome to say, so everyone shortens it. It still strikes me as a tautological statement.

Kind of like when advertisers decided that “buy one get one” was an acceptable substitute for “buy one get one free.” The second is a deal, the first is the definition of a transaction.

/rant

Very thought-provoking post. Thanks!

ClockworkHouse wrote:
doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Apropos of nothing, but I love (narrator: he didn’t love it) the term “thought provoking.”

Unless you’re dead, everything provokes thought. Even if the thought is “finally, I can go pee!”

I think what people mean is that the thoughts that the thing you just watched provoked were the same as the thoughts that the author wanted to provoke. I understand that this is unnecessarily cumbersome to say, so everyone shortens it. It still strikes me as a tautological statement.

Kind of like when advertisers decided that “buy one get one” was an acceptable substitute for “buy one get one free.” The second is a deal, the first is the definition of a transaction.

/rant

Very thought-provoking post. Thanks!

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Apropos of nothing, but I love (narrator: he didn’t love it) the term “thought provoking.”

Unless you’re dead, everything provokes thought. Even if the thought is “finally, I can go pee!”

I think what people mean is that the thoughts that the thing you just watched provoked were the same as the thoughts that the author wanted to provoke. I understand that this is unnecessarily cumbersome to say, so everyone shortens it. It still strikes me as a tautological statement.

Kind of like when advertisers decided that “buy one get one” was an acceptable substitute for “buy one get one free.” The second is a deal, the first is the definition of a transaction.

/rant

I'm not sure I am tracking the train of thought on this. Please, entertain my lesser comprehension for a moment.

When I consider the definition(s) I come up with the following.

Thought-provoking
stimulating careful consideration or attention

Thought-provoking
making you think a lot about a subject

What you have described, as I comprehend it, is to not be devoid of thought and quite different to careful consideration or a lot of thought on a subject. It's boiling the words down to their most base of understanding as oppose to their more learned or studied interpretations.

Thought-provoking
to produce thought

So whilst one film, let's say Rocky, can produce thought, it may not stir careful consideration or a lot of thought, as with say Blade Runner. So whilst everything produces thought not everything is thought-provoking. That both makes no sense and total sense. Very thought provoking indeed!

Against my better judgment I continued watching “I Think You Should Leave” and although I have to admit that some sketches are funny (especially the first one in episode two “two motorcycles with a house in the middle”), Tim Robinson’s humour is very repetitive. When it comes to outlandish sketches, I still prefer Portlandia to this.

The Girl with all the Gifts Is well worth watching if you are into slightly left beat Zombie films or TV shows - proper zombies, not emo teenage zombies that don't like eating people. Well, mostly. It bares more than a passing resemblance to 28 days later in places, but it does manage to stand on it's own two feet and has a good, satisfying pay off.

Gave Wine Country a watch. We enjoyed it, and I hope Amy Poehler and company are able to make more movies.

Thought it was done after the season 4 finale connected some stories.

But yeah I'll probably watch more

Haven't even gotten in the mood to watch Season 4 yet. If I want to fill myself with anxiety and dread over the growing lack of empathy that encroaching technology brings, I'll just check out my Facebook feed.

Jhonen Vasquez announced on Instagram this morning that the Invader Zim movie Enter the Florpus is releasing on Netflix this summer. It was originally supposed to air on Nickelodeon but apparently the network has just been sitting on it for the last year because Nick execs didn’t learn from the original series what they’ll get when they hire Jhonen to make something.

Whoah... A Dark Crystal prequel

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/21/...

ZombieCoyote wrote:

Whoah... A Dark Crystal prequel

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/21/...

Yea they've been advertising it for over a year now.

Nailed It season 3 is out now. First episode had more laugh out loud moments.

Moar Gelflings!

Holy moly, that cast! I think I would watch that cast do pretty much anything.

Started watching Z Nation again last night. I think I finished the first season but I picked up at S01E02. Was a treat to hear Cassandra mention where she was during Black Summer as an historical event.

Ehh, count me out. Almost nothing out of the Jim Henson Workshop has been worth watching since Henson died, especially not continuations of anything that Henson originally worked on. It’s just a bunch of people trying to capture the spirit of a thing by impersonating some of the more obvious mannerisms without understanding what was underneath them.

doubtingthomas396 wrote:

Ehh, count me out. Almost nothing out of the Jim Henson Workshop has been worth watching since Henson died, especially not continuations of anything that Henson originally worked on. It’s just a bunch of people trying to capture the spirit of a thing by impersonating some of the more obvious mannerisms without understanding what was underneath them.

Dark Crystal is one of the few things Brian Henson held on to when all the Muppets stuff got sold to Disney. As I understand it, this is the part of his father's legacy that he's really passionate about. I'm willing to give it a shot based on that.