Hidden Gems of Netflix's Watch Instantly

Ok, I know this is going to completely derail things but we have 5 days until new stuff hits so I'm going to say this anyway:

I have just finished season 1.

Supernatural is awesome.

(I'm sorry, people who don't care)

Thin_J wrote:

Someone told me Alias was worth watching.

I started about a month ago, watching an episode here and there. It was fun. Right up until everything with the "Rimbaldi" whateverbullsh*t starts. Then they just go right on and jump the shark ~14 episodes or so into season one.

Completely terrible.

But at least it happened quickly enough to save me from watching four and a half more seasons and actually getting invested in the characters.

Rembaldi artifacts will play a key role in the show right up til the very end. So if you can't swallow them, bail right off the bat.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Rembaldi artifacts will play a key role in the show right up til the very end. So if you can't swallow them, bail right off the bat.

Already have!

I had the number wrong (I made it to episode 16 before waving the white flag) but I'm definitely done.

Thin_J wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Rembaldi artifacts will play a key role in the show right up til the very end. So if you can't swallow them, bail right off the bat.

Already have!

I had the number wrong (I made it to episode 16 before waving the white flag) but I'm definitely done.

Yeah, if you need logic or internal consistency, you're in the wrong place. Jennifer Garner in hot outfits, you're covered.

I stuck with it primarily because I liked the idea behind Rimbauldi more than I liked the show itself. The show never really lived up to the premise.

Thin_J wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

Rembaldi artifacts will play a key role in the show right up til the very end. So if you can't swallow them, bail right off the bat.

Already have!

I had the number wrong (I made it to episode 16 before waving the white flag) but I'm definitely done.

That's Numberwang!

All Night Long

Jazz-era take on Othello, with great cameo performances from Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus, and the great Patrick McGoohan as a scheming bastard of a drummer. Quite entertaining if you like a good villain, and the musical performances help break up some of the over-staged coolness (which is mostly well-played). Nice period piece.

oilypenguin wrote:

Ok, I know this is going to completely derail things but we have 5 days until new stuff hits so I'm going to say this anyway:

I have just finished season 1.

Supernatural is awesome.

(I'm sorry, people who don't care)

My wife has been watching this. It actually looks half decent, what bits and pieces I've watched. I especially liked the beginning of the first episode, which was the best opening for a new show I've seen in a long time. Not good enough to pull me away from the glut of amazing games that have just come out, but still.

ianunderhill wrote:

All Night Long

Jazz-era take on Othello, with great cameo performances from Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus, and the great Patrick McGoohan as a scheming bastard of a drummer. Quite entertaining if you like a good villain, and the musical performances help break up some of the over-staged coolness (which is mostly well-played). Nice period piece.

Let me get this straight, we have Othello with Brubeck, & Mingus?

An All That Jazz-y Shakespeare? I must see this.

sr_malo wrote:
ianunderhill wrote:

All Night Long

Jazz-era take on Othello, with great cameo performances from Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus, and the great Patrick McGoohan as a scheming bastard of a drummer. Quite entertaining if you like a good villain, and the musical performances help break up some of the over-staged coolness (which is mostly well-played). Nice period piece.

Let me get this straight, we have Othello with Brubeck, & Mingus?

An All That Jazz-y Shakespeare? I must see this.

Whoa, that's now on my list. Awesome!

Edit: Speaking of Criterion Collection movies, they are all 50% off list price at Barnes & Noble right now. I picked up The Red Shoes.

Cat in Paris found it's way to Netflix streaming without fanfare. Go watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07...

ianunderhill wrote:

All Night Long

Jazz-era take on Othello, with great cameo performances from Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus, and the great Patrick McGoohan as a scheming bastard of a drummer. Quite entertaining if you like a good villain, and the musical performances help break up some of the over-staged coolness (which is mostly well-played). Nice period piece.

You had me at Brubeck.

Fredrik_S wrote:

Cat in Paris found it's way to Netflix streaming without fanfare. Go watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07...

Awesome!!!

oilypenguin wrote:

Ok, I know this is going to completely derail things but we have 5 days until new stuff hits so I'm going to say this anyway:

I have just finished season 1.

Supernatural is awesome.

(I'm sorry, people who don't care)

Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Unknown Soldier wrote:

My wife has been watching this. It actually looks half decent, what bits and pieces I've watched. I especially liked the beginning of the first episode, which was the best opening for a new show I've seen in a long time. Not good enough to pull me away from the glut of amazing games that have just come out, but still. ;)

Oh it gets better.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Fredrik_S wrote:

Cat in Paris found it's way to Netflix streaming without fanfare. Go watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07...

Awesome!!!

Wow. This looks great!!!

Dammit! Tunlr recently decided to stop passing Netflix through their servers. Too much traffic.

Anyone got another option for getting access to US Netflix while abroad?

On the plus side, I'm in Chile, and they've got a lot of movies that we don't get in the US. Too bad the kids aren't here, as they have all the recent Disney movies!

EDIT: Hell, they have a lot of great movies available in Chile! The Fifth Element, The Italian Job, Kill Bill, The Princess Bride, The Godfather. I should stay here...

I use http://www.unblock-us.com/ here in Canada. Costs 5$/month, but they have a free week trial.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Fredrik_S wrote:

Cat in Paris found it's way to Netflix streaming without fanfare. Go watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07...

Awesome!!!

Oh yeah, added.

Fredrik_S wrote:

Cat in Paris found it's way to Netflix streaming without fanfare. Go watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7e07...

That looks awesome! Thanks for the tip!

El-Producto wrote:

I use http://www.unblock-us.com/ here in Canada. Costs 5$/month, but they have a free week trial.

I use that as well

Makes my Netflix monthly fee finally worth it. I use it almost every day now! (I'm watching Cheers would you believe it )

Icing on the cake is Pandora and Hulu!

IMAGE(http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/3603_526895947323409_1212578800_n.jpg)

Coming in February, original programming!

Well, House of Cards is a remake of a British series, so not entirely original, but I'm stoked.

It's like anti-Sorkin. Hyper-competent people looking out for number one and the country be damned. I'll watch.

Casa de mi Padre

The movie didn't go over too well with critics and at the box office, but it is an outstanding straight-faced send up of telenovelas. It's not laugh track funny, but I was dying over the little things, like occasionally replacing background (or main) actor in a scene with a mannequin or actors switching clothes and props during a scene. The movie doesn't call attention to the humor, but it's most definitely there.

OG_slinger wrote:

Casa de mi Padre

The movie didn't go over too well with critics and at the box office, but it is an outstanding straight-faced send up of telenovelas. It's not laugh track funny, but I was dying over the little things, like occasionally replacing background (or main) actor in a scene with a mannequin or actors switching clothes and props during a scene. The movie doesn't call attention to the humor, but it's most definitely there.

+1. This movie is hilarious in its absurdity. And Will Ferrell trying to speak Spanish is cringe-/laugh-worthy the entire time.

Ah cool, I've been meaning to see that one.

Awesome!

Such a shame that we dont have a queue for Netflix Canada : /

interstate78 wrote:

Awesome!

Such a shame that we dont have a queue for Netflix Canada : /

You mean something like this?

OG_slinger wrote:

You mean something like this?

I think what he means is that you can't have a queue on your Netflix account in Canada, in case you find something but want to watch it later. Also, that's not a reliable list of what's available on Netflix Canada either.