Random non sequitur posts catch-all thread

I quickly glanced at a box score where a player was listed as out due to a right thumb injury. I read it as right tummy injury.

Jonman wrote:
bobbywatson wrote:

Running a 5K in the morning and biking 30km in the afternoon is a great reminder than I'm not 20 anymore. But considering how much of a couch potato I was at 20, there's no way I could have done that then.

Get yourself in a lake and you got yourself a triathlon!

In October in Canada? Most certainly not!

Edit: And add 40 km of biking today (but no running). Tomorrow will be hell, and I plan to sit on my ass all day working on my projects.

bobbywatson wrote:
Jonman wrote:
bobbywatson wrote:

Running a 5K in the morning and biking 30km in the afternoon is a great reminder than I'm not 20 anymore. But considering how much of a couch potato I was at 20, there's no way I could have done that then.

Get yourself in a lake and you got yourself a triathlon!

In October in Canada? Most certainly not!

Edit: And add 40 km of biking today (but no running). Tomorrow will be hell, and I plan to sit on my ass all day working on my projects.

Might I suggest going for a long walk and stretching at least, it generally goes a long way in making your body accept a tad more exercise than normal.

Zaque wrote:
bobbywatson wrote:
Jonman wrote:
bobbywatson wrote:

Running a 5K in the morning and biking 30km in the afternoon is a great reminder than I'm not 20 anymore. But considering how much of a couch potato I was at 20, there's no way I could have done that then.

Get yourself in a lake and you got yourself a triathlon!

In October in Canada? Most certainly not!

Edit: And add 40 km of biking today (but no running). Tomorrow will be hell, and I plan to sit on my ass all day working on my projects.

Might I suggest going for a long walk and stretching at least, it generally goes a long way in making your body accept a tad more exercise than normal.

I got a suggestion for you. RUN FASTER!!! [/sarcasm] Coach Lasso I’m not

Spaten Optimator is a Top 5 beer. That is all.

Prederick wrote:

Spaten Optimator is a Top 5 beer. That is all.

I like me a good double bock.

Prederick wrote:

Spaten Optimator is a Top 5 beer. That is all.

My wife loves dark German beers and this is one of her favorites. According to her, it's great bottled, but it's amazing on tap. (I'm not a beer liker, but this one is less bad to me than most. Does that count as an endorsement?)

I don't know what the deal is with hard seltzer cider, tea, everything. More than half the beer section is filled with it. Every day there is more and more of it replacing stuff I like. Haven't found one that taste good. I guess people really like it.

You they started selling ice cream with alcohol in it. I only tried one but it was really good.

It is basically the way to get non-beer drinkers to buy their stuff, so all of the beer makers are jumping on the trend.

My wife can't have gluten. So the apple ciders were a nice alternative a few years ago. And I found a few of those I enjoyed with her.

All that flavored spiked sh*t though, just weird. And it's like a way to sell premixed drinks in stores that can only sell beer and wine but not liquor. Just odd all around.

I like the hard seltzers. They are total pounders by the pool.

SallyNasty wrote:

I like the hard seltzers. They are total pounders by the pool.

What's wrong with beer in a coozie?

Mixolyde wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

I like the hard seltzers. They are total pounders by the pool.

What's wrong with beer in a coozie?

Well, for one thing, it contains beer.

The highest compliment I've ever paid a beer after tasting it is, "Huh. I can see why other people like this."

hbi2k wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

I like the hard seltzers. They are total pounders by the pool.

What's wrong with beer in a coozie?

Well, for one thing, it contains beer.

The highest compliment I've ever paid a beer after tasting it is, "Huh. I can see why other people like this."

^^

This guy gets it.

I'll take a good cider over a fantastic beer every time. Hops is just too bitter.

I have friends who are really into beer, and I have taken enough sips of friends' fancy beers that I can tell a good beer from a bad beer.

It's just that I don't like even a very good beer anywhere near as much as, say, a mediocre cream soda.

I don't know that I actually "like" hard seltzer, but they are a convenient and inoffensive delivery system for alcohol that isn't loaded up with sugar. They're not an everyday things for me, but they fill a niche.

Robear wrote:

I'll take a good cider over a fantastic beer every time. Hops is just too bitter.

I like dry crisp ciders. The less sweet the better.

The only alcohol I drink anymore are ciders (occasionally) and whiskey (rarely). Nothing else is worth what it does to me anymore, because I am old.

I'm definitely on the sweet cider side. But dry is good for some occasions. I just don't like it when they try to imitate some other drink, like beer.

I do miss the Pub that was walking distance from my apartment and had Strongbow on tap.

And Strongbow, these days, is kind of third-tier (even though I like it). Artisanal ciders and Euro-Ciders of all traditions are pretty easily available. Maeloc, for example, is from Galicia in Spain, and uses the same apples and brewing techniques that the freaking *Romans* used, for many of their ciders. Bold, delicious, hearty. And that's just one maker. Baltimore has a bunch, NY State, Austin, Vermont, all have wonderful ciders to sample.

Robear wrote:

Maeloc, for example, is from Galicia in Spain, and uses the same apples and brewing techniques that the freaking *Romans* used, for many of their ciders.

2,000 year-old cider. Selling point or warning?

Yeah, fish sauce uses the same methods as the Romans used and it's freaking *delicious*. Some wine is still produced in underground vats, another Roman period innovation - and it's among the most expensive and delicious in the world. Pasta is made with even older traditions (in China), same deal.

A lot of food styles are extremely old. IIRC, the oldest Persian recipe we have is basically chicken and mushrooms steamed in a closed pot with butter until the rice is crispy on the outside, and I will eat that all week long.

For me, for this food, selling point.

I'll take a good cider over a fantastic beer every time. Hops is just too bitter.

Porque' no los dos?

Have a sour and get the best of both worlds

Or a hoppy cider

There is a local restaurant nearby that has a patio and some ciders on tap and I had a peach cider there recently that was surprisingly good.

Nah, Fang, closest I can get to enjoying any beer is a Belgian Kriek.

Belgians are great in general.
And I've had limited import Hefeweizens that are "fruity" and "sweet".

Ooh Kriek's sound delicious. I love Lambics so they should be right up my alley.
I am with you on hops and bitterness. It is why I can't stand IPA's and their popularity.

Then Krieks are gonna be your jam. Let us know when you try one. Eye-opening.

fangblackbone wrote:

Belgians are great in general.

Oh I know