Random non sequitur posts catch-all thread

If it makes you feel any better, they also do that when you don't have L-plates.

A major portion of my job includes driving. My employer has drilled me with safe driving training for the past 20 years. I take it very seriously. I'm appalled at other people's driving on a moment to moment basis when I'm behind the wheel.

I've been in three car-ruining crashes, none of them my fault. Getting a license should be much harder and losing a license should be much easier.

I wish red light cameras were actually effective.

A_Unicycle wrote:

I'm still a learner driver (very late to get my license), and I've seen some horrific things, it's really opened my eyes. I don't like driving at the best of times, but lately I've been enjoying it less and less.

I get a lot of people obnoxiously speeding around me, while I'm driving to the speed limit; coming really close, cutting in just in front, revving etc. All because I have L-plates on. I understand nobody really likes to be behind someone learning, but...You're making it more dangerous for both of us.

You're not driving the speed limit in the passing lane, are you?

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

MechaSlinky wrote:

I've been in three car-ruining crashes, none of them my fault. Getting a license should be much harder and losing a license should be much easier.

Should have mandatory re-testing at least every 10 years.

Oh, so I think I get Sonic games now. Sonic Mania is probably one of my favourite game releases this year, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for the franchise at all. This week's podcast exactly explained why I didn't like the series; sometimes you go fast, it's hard to see what's coming so you hit some spikes or a spring and stop. Now it's slow. Now platforming feels slow and frustrating. Back to fast! Zipping around without much control, you can't take anything in but you're moving! Aaand, slow. Back to slow and cumbersome and uugh.

But holy wow, Sonic Mania is so well designed. The multiple paths through a level always give you something new to toy with. The mechanics in each zone are all so different, too! It's gorgeous, really. It's smooth, it flows so well. I understand that speed is a reward for playing well, and I appreciate the "shield" system the rings bring. And the bosses? THE BOSSES. I recall people discussing how much they dislike bosses in games, and to those people, I say play Sonic Mania.

It's right up there with Shovel Knight in terms of retro platformers. It's sublime.

Redherring wrote:

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

Well, not everyone has a PhD in thermodynamics.

Redherring wrote:

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

There's got to be a story behind this.

MrDeVil909 wrote:
Redherring wrote:

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

There's got to be a story behind this.

We often order our kid's clothes on a British website, and every piece of clothing has a 'keep away from fire' warning label attached.

Not sure I want to hear the story behind that one :-O

American kids pajamas are often required to be fire retardant. Of course, there's some question about the toxicity of the chemicals used to make them flame retardant...

MrDeVil909 wrote:
Redherring wrote:

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

There's got to be a tort behind this.

FTFY

Grenn wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
Redherring wrote:

Bought some tortillas. There's a very useful warning on the packet.

CAUTION: PRODUCT BECOMES HOT WHEN HEATED.

There's got to be a tort behind this.

FTFY

Also true.

A_Unicycle wrote:

Oh, so I think I get Sonic games now. Sonic Mania is probably one of my favourite game releases this year, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for the franchise at all. This week's podcast exactly explained why I didn't like the series; sometimes you go fast, it's hard to see what's coming so you hit some spikes or a spring and stop. Now it's slow. Now platforming feels slow and frustrating. Back to fast! Zipping around without much control, you can't take anything in but you're moving! Aaand, slow. Back to slow and cumbersome and uugh.

But holy wow, Sonic Mania is so well designed. The multiple paths through a level always give you something new to toy with. The mechanics in each zone are all so different, too! It's gorgeous, really. It's smooth, it flows so well. I understand that speed is a reward for playing well, and I appreciate the "shield" system the rings bring. And the bosses? THE BOSSES. I recall people discussing how much they dislike bosses in games, and to those people, I say play Sonic Mania.

It's right up there with Shovel Knight in terms of retro platformers. It's sublime.

It's good that Sonic Mania is causing some to give traditional Sonic games a chance. It's true that they can be frustrating when you're going slowly and hitting obstacles but when you're doing well there's nothing quite like it. And the setpieces are very on point. Some really creative bosses this time.

Grenn wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:

There's got to be a tort behind this.

FTFY

And if the tortillas are too dangerous, you could get some bread and go with a torta.

I was just catching up on the forums here when suddenly a fairly small spider repelled into my vision directly in front of the monitor. I turned away for maybe a second to grab a nearby napkin and when I looked back it was gone. GONE! Where did it go?

Seriously, where the f*ck did it go? It was eye level, it couldn't have dropped that fast. Where did it go?? Did he swing like Tarzan in the second I turned around? Is it on me?

If you don't hear from me, I may be gone for weeks. This room is a quarantine zone now.

But seriously, where did it go? I can't stay here. It's not safe. Goodbye.

String theory posits that spiders wink in and out of existence all the time. Constantly, all around you, spiders are appearing and disappearing. Nobody knows where they come from or where they go. Black Holes are probably involved somehow.

We've had scorpions coming in looking for water all summer. About a month ago, saw one on a brown towel when I was drying off after a shower. Dropped it in the tub, then picked it up to shake it off, and have not been able to find the little bastard since. Didn't tell my wife about that one, because she'll want to move out.

Huh Bonus, I always assumed your location meant you live in NYC. Guess not if you have scorpions coming in.

The Burger King drive-thru line was very long. I got in it anyway. That was a mistake.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Huh Bonus, I always assumed your location meant you live in NYC. Guess not if you have scorpions coming in.

Outside Austin, but there's the whole Batman thing and stalking family members, who've found me after moving again.

LeapingGnome wrote:

Huh Bonus, I always assumed your location meant you live in NYC. Guess not if you have scorpions coming in.

Not necessarily:
IMAGE(https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/33/fd/c9/33fdc9634bef0ca5fce0f3dcd641d49e.png)
Wrong comic company, but still.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

We've had scorpions coming in looking for water all summer.

?

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/MEX26oJl.jpg)

Schenker just won't leave.

A_Unicycle wrote:

What happened to mech games? I love mech games! All that tinkering and fiddling with loadouts, then taking your new toy for a test-run! There's nothin' else like it.
..
MechWarrior has...MechWarrior Online which is a mess. The upcoming tactics game looks very interesting, at least!

Preach my brother.
Also, I don't know about the timing of your post and the updates and all, but they recently reworked the system significantly, so at the very least you could go in there and redo all your loadouts!

Last night, I had a super intricate dream about mining on the moon. A lot of political intrigue and what not. What were we mining on the moon? Pizza.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Last night, I had a super intricate dream about mining on the moon. A lot of political intrigue and what not. What were we mining on the moon? Pizza.

It's a common mis-conception that the moon is made of cheese. The moon is only covered in cheese but is actually made of pizza.

My partner and I both woke up feeling horribly hungover; dehydrated, dizzy, nauseous. She had a single cider, I had my usual 2 beers at the start of the weekend. The only thing we could think of was the Chinese we ordered (which wasn't from our usual place).

Bit of google-fu later, and apparently Chinese hangovers are a thing. The huge amounts of salt and MSG give all those symptoms and one other: vivid dreams. We both turned to each other and gushed about our sleeping adventures:

I was a gothic male pole dancer performing to Genitorturers.

She solved a riddle, while on a pirate ship in her dream:

Q. How did the donut below deck get above deck?
A. Someone ate it and went above deck!

That's enough Chinese food for me, for a very long time.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Last night, I had a super intricate dream about mining on the moon. A lot of political intrigue and what not. What were we mining on the moon? Pizza.

That's amore.