Name a Band / Song We Should Know About

Badferret wrote:

Amanda Shires new album is on NPR's First Listen.

i just gave this a listen at work and immediately started it over when it ended. This instantly grabbed me. I’m completely unfamiliar with her, so I’ll be looking into what else she has done when I get a chance.

Tscott wrote:
Badferret wrote:

Amanda Shires new album is on NPR's First Listen.

i just gave this a listen at work and immediately started it over when it ended. This instantly grabbed me. I’m completely unfamiliar with her, so I’ll be looking into what else she has done when I get a chance.

Down Fell the Doves is her best work imho

parallaxview wrote:
Badferret wrote:

Amanda Shires new album is on NPR's First Listen.

Going to see her next month :)

Jason Isbell, Shires and First Aid Kit are playing here over three weeks in September, we probably only have the budget and chance to get a sitter for one of the shows. Decisions, decisions.

I really like Jain and would encourage you to check out her original videos. They are really creative in design and execution. Here's a link to one of them: https://fstoppers.com/music/jains-ma...

Never heard SKYND before; bad ass.

Kehama wrote:

Fun song, I've been listening to another piece of their music: Fake ID:

Other stuff I've been enjoying lately:

I've known about K-pop and its rabid fanbase before but never quite understood it until now. I can't shake this video and I may be turning into a BLINK.

New Aphex Twin EP coming out next month. New video from it released today:

Tscott wrote:

I've known about K-pop and its rabid fanbase before but never quite understood it until now. I can't shake this video and I may be turning into a BLINK.

So k-pop, eh? May I recommend some T.O.P. from Big Bang though I prefer his solo stuff and some of the songs he did with G Dragon.

Kehama wrote:

So k-pop, eh? May I recommend some T.O.P. from Big Bang though I prefer his solo stuff and some of the songs he did with G Dragon.

Well, its got a nice beat but, sorry, other than that it's the exact opposite of what I find appealing about Blackpink. That was like Psy's 'Gentleman' without the satire.

NSFW on these

Calimossa

Cook Thugless

The Presets (as recommended earlier in this thread)

Tscott wrote:

New Aphex Twin EP coming out next month. New video from it released today:

I's very Gantz Graf in parts.

I've been finding a lot of great new music lately. This came up when listening to a random pop music playlist on youtube while at work, and I instantly have another artist I need to look deeper into. Upbeat song with dark meaning (and a video to match).

Tscott wrote:

Well, its got a nice beat but, sorry, other than that it's the exact opposite of what I find appealing about Blackpink. That was like Psy's 'Gentleman' without the satire.

Blackpink has been on heavy rotation in my kpop playlist lately.
I would also suggest exploring Exid, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, 2NE1, or Dreamcatcher.

I watch the React/FBE channels on YouTube and they reacted to Mamamoo yesterday. I had heard that was coming up so recently I tried to watch some of their videos, but apparently I watched Momoland instead which is a different (yet similar) K-pop group.

half•alive - still feel.

Also:

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Hunnybee

Last one: I may have already posted this but Zack de la Rocha with El-P producing!

I’m a sucker for that funky bass

New albums from two of my favourite bands came out today: Interpol and DeVotchKa.

DeVotchKa album first listen thoughts: It’s a shame they’re not as out there with their style as much as they used to be. If you’ve never heard of them, they have a lot of inspiration from various world folk sounds, mainly polka in their early stuff, they’re bit of a unique band for that. The most similar band can think of is Beirut, who have also abandoned their early style somewhat. Saying that, I really enjoyed my first listen through of the new album, even though I don’t think there’s a true standout song.

Thoughts on first listen to new Interpol album: Interpol still keep true to their sound, but a lot of this album just passed me by. It’s not bad, it’s just fine; almost feels like a bunch of B-sided from their early years. I’ll listen a few more times, but it does feel like the Interpol stock is going down slightly.

Interpol albums often take a few listens to click, I've found. I'll probably grab digital only on that one. I've been a fan forever.

So, I can't remember exactly when this was getting shared around (might have been on the forum, might have been in Slack/Discord), but there were a couple of websites that were recommended for discovering bands similar to bands you already know.

The first site I remembered was Music-Map, but I seem to recall there being another one that had a similar set up, but maybe for genres? I know this is kind of a vague question that might not really have a clear answer, but I'm looking to check out some new music as my current playlists are getting a little stale. I've got some good leads just based from some of the stuff y'all have been sharing here, but I kind of want to poke around on my own too.

CptDomano wrote:

So, I can't remember exactly when this was getting shared around (might have been on the forum, might have been in Slack/Discord), but there were a couple of websites that were recommended for discovering bands similar to bands you already know.

The first site I remembered was Music-Map, but I seem to recall there being another one that had a similar set up, but maybe for genres? I know this is kind of a vague question that might not really have a clear answer, but I'm looking to check out some new music as my current playlists are getting a little stale. I've got some good leads just based from some of the stuff y'all have been sharing here, but I kind of want to poke around on my own too.

Spotify's version of that works great.

Ehh, I haven't had all that much success with it.

CptDomano wrote:

Ehh, I haven't had all that much success with it.

I'm talking about the discover option which is a bit more hidden than it used to be. Not the daily mixes.

I've gone down many a rabbit hole with that and enjoy it.