Creepy spider!

IMAGE(http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/27654985182260969_PaPCT3ta_c.jpg)

Pray harder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon...(spider)

Guess the parentheses don't work with the url tags.

Ha! Just a couple of days ago I posted this on my mountain biking forum in a thread about spotting a bobcat and a tarantula:

liquidmantis wrote:
xcguy wrote:

We have spiders around our area that have real large wingspans that aren't tarantulas.

Great. Rattlesnakes, bears, mountain lions, bobcats, AND NOW GIANT FLYING SPIDERS!

groan wrote:

Cool! Thank you for that video. It just allowed me to identify a bug I photographed not long ago. I had no idea what it was.
Nasty!!!

Be careful around Assassin Bugs. They can give you Chagas Disease.

Nobody wants Shag Ass Disease.

IMAGE(http://www.uncleboise.com/images/features/jamboree/toby.jpg)

WTF? I ONLY CLICKED ONCE!

It's a bug in the code, Mantis. Not your fault.

Malor wrote:

It's a bug in the code, Mantis. Not your fault.

Oh, those insidious bastards!

IMAGE(http://goo.gl/f8FJL)

That spider isn't very creepy. In fact, I don't think it's going to be creeping ever again.

Wasp still twitching one leg. Spider still paralised. Or dead. I cant find her pulse.

Probably some species of assassin bug would be my guess.

Looks like it has a sting -- I think it's probably a wasp, dragging the not-quite-dead spider back to its lair. It will lay an egg or eggs on the spider, and when it/they hatch, the larva(e) will slowly eat the spider alive.

Malor wrote:

Looks like it has a sting -- I think it's probably a wasp, dragging the not-quite-dead spider back to its lair. It will lay an egg or eggs on the spider, and when it/they hatch, the larva(e) will slowly eat the spider alive.

I personally enjoyed Prometheus, I don't know what you all are... oh, wrong thread. Sorry.

Malor wrote:

Looks like it has a sting -- I think it's probably a wasp, dragging the not-quite-dead spider back to its lair. It will lay an egg or eggs on the spider, and when it/they hatch, the larva(e) will slowly eat the spider alive.

Doesn't look like it has mandibles, which wasps have, but rather has a rostrum which is what it appears to be dragging the spider around with. I still go with assassin bug.

Its wings were iridescent blue-black. Body reddish orangish with black highlights. Abdomen seemed to only have 5 segments, unless I'm counting wrong. Definitely looked like a stinger.

Trawling through the buggy part of the interwebs leads me to believe that it is a Tachypompilus ferrugineus , a rust-colored spider wasp. Here's some google pics, I think it's a match.

What in the name of all that is creepy is this bug? It killed or paralyzed one of my lovely orb weavers; spiders that I try hard to cultivate around the place, and dragged it for a really long way, across one side of the house, up a couple of walls, down a couple of walls, and then it came right for me! (Duckilama saved me.)

Here's a picture:
IMAGE(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7367248964_4948fb550f.jpg)
unidentified spider killing bug by DuckiDeva, on Flickr

Anything that can take out a spider that big is kinda scary. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Yeah, I think you nailed it. Check out this picture:

IMAGE(http://www.malor.com/gamerswithjobs/Wasp-Spider_Hunting.jpg)

It matches the shape of the head/eyes and the bluish wings exactly. No visible proboscis, but that might be a leg or something from the spider in a strange position.

They also have the 2nd most painful sting for an insect, so be careful around that thing. It's said to feel like you're being electrocuted for about 3-4 minutes before wearing off.

Apparently, that spider's in for some real fun -- it's permanently paralyzed, and will just lie there, on its back, while the larva carefully eats it in such a way as to keep it alive as long as possible. It saves the critical organs and nerves for just before it pupates.

Lovely creatures, wasps.

Funny how the creepiest thing in the creepy spider thread is a wasp. Eeew.

I hope it's an ex-wasp.

I don't kill many bugs, but when I do it's usually a wasp.

We thought it was an invasive species originally, so yeah. It got a Wayne's World Extreme Close-up of the bottom of my shoe.

IMAGE(http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/392088.jpg)

Found this awesome guy on the weekend.
Remember, these guys are about 6-8 mm across. I am now shooting with my macro lens and an extension tube giving me greater than 1:1 magnification. I'm not sure exactly what the magnification is but it's awesome.

IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7779045/photos/black-red-jumper.jpg)

In looking at that coloring, I'm thinking, "Geeze, another kind? How's it ever going to find a mate? There can't be very many just like him/her."

But then I realized that I'm looking at the product of millions of successful matings, so chances are, he/she's got it all figured out.

Malor wrote:

In looking at that coloring, I'm thinking, "Geeze, another kind? How's it ever going to find a mate? There can't be very many just like him/her."

But then I realized that I'm looking at the product of millions of successful matings, so chances are, he/she's got it all figured out. :-)

Watch daytime talk shows and repeat that to yourself. Millions of successful matings.

wordsmythe wrote:
Malor wrote:

In looking at that coloring, I'm thinking, "Geeze, another kind? How's it ever going to find a mate? There can't be very many just like him/her."

But then I realized that I'm looking at the product of millions of successful matings, so chances are, he/she's got it all figured out. :-)

Watch daytime talk shows and repeat that to yourself. Millions of successful matings.

I really chortled out loud at that.

Pretty spider.

groan wrote:

Found this awesome guy on the weekend.
Remember, these guys are about 6-8 mm across. I am now shooting with my macro lens and an extension tube giving me greater than 1:1 magnification. I'm not sure exactly what the magnification is but it's awesome.

Does that thing have eyes on the back of its head?

sheared wrote:
groan wrote:

Found this awesome guy on the weekend.
Remember, these guys are about 6-8 mm across. I am now shooting with my macro lens and an extension tube giving me greater than 1:1 magnification. I'm not sure exactly what the magnification is but it's awesome.

Does that thing have eyes on the back of its head?

Yeah. Many spiders have a pair of eyes towards the rear of their head to sense light/motion.

mateo wrote:

Yeah. Many spiders have a pair of eyes towards the rear of their head to sense light/motion.

You forgot the other sense: your fear.