Too Human Catch-All

coyo7e wrote:

Oh yeah, protip for people who like and want to keep playing the game to get all the achievements: purchasing runes counts toward the 1,000 for the achievement, and the color-dye runes for 100 Bounty, also count toward the 1,000.

This game's achievements are all quite easy to get, and it will be literally the first game I've ever got the full 1000/1000 legitimately in.

Ad I have a question for people who don't enjoy the control scheme: If you borrow a friend's car and it is a Manual transmission instead of an Automatic, do you blame the car if you don't know how to use the clutch? No, you should blame Dennis Dyack, because all cars should be automatic! :lol:

I got the NORN's achievement, I can show you where the wells are that you're likely missing... but its on level 4... suck.

Shoal07 wrote:

I got the NORN's achievement, I can show you where the wells are that you're likely missing... but its on level 4... suck.

Grumble, those zombies just destroy most of my characters.. But my Commando is turning into a monster.. I almost got one of the Unstoppable achievements on level 3 using him.

souldaddy wrote:

After 40+ hours with the game, I'm still having severe control problems. There is no good reason why I should die because the game doesn't recognize my control inputs. Why does a troll knock me down if I'm 10 feet away from the shockwave? Or if I've jumped into the air. The graphic is clearly describing a ground effect yet I can roll through the shockwave and not jump over it. Or sometimes I can jump over it, depends on what the game feels like. Sometimes I am standing behind a troll, pounding on the A button over and over and I can't jump on his back, sometimes I am standing in front of him and I magically jump on his back. The controls are simply not tight enough. It's a credit to Too Human that the game is still fun, mostly, but it's extremely limiting to new players.

I'd say when you die often, 50% of the time you need to figure out a new approach, and 50% the game is just f*cking you right in the ear.

If you get hit by a troll when you're jumping, it's because you're standing under his hammer, and the hammer itself is hitting you because you're standing too close. Otherwise you're not timing your jump correctly. The graphical blastwave is the part that knocks you down,but if you stand a couple feet outside the range of it, you'll still feel your controller vibrate and you'll take a small amount of damage. That is why you get frozen "inexplicably."

The shockwave thing is a minor annoyance, sure. But it only is a problem on polarity enemies, and it's always the same extra splash range outside of the knockdown, regardless of what polarity type the troll is.

And I can't believe that half of your deaths are out of your control. That sounds a bit extreme, and reminds me of the levl 40 berserker I met the other night who had no idea how to hit the B button to roll and ignore almost all damage. He claimed that the game was sh*t and impossible too, until I showed him how to dodge.

And you can't jump on elite trolls' backs. Any of them. They're immune.

Sinatar wrote:

Yea Souldaddy and I were doing coop with our kitted out 50's and the amount of purely broken sh*t we ran into was pretty unacceptable. When there is a horde of light polarity enemies running at me and I hit both sticks in the same direction to do the ranged fierce attack, my character should not slide into them and die instantly. Or if I hit both sticks in the same direction and actually successfully DO the ranged fierce, it should go in the direction I hit the goddamn sticks, not towards whatever random enemy it decided to lock on to.

Fierce attacks are highly sensitive, but they're also reliable and if you're sliding into an enemy when you hit a fierce, then you're just not moving them parallel enough.

Fierce attacks also have NO autoaim. The hammer attack does auto-adjust its range to the nearest enemy who's not too close, but they do not adjust to the left and right at all.

I'd suggest making a berserker and getting him to level 10 or so, then putting all your skills into fierce attack speed, and then just practise shooting them at random inanimate targets for a while until you can hit three targets in a row.

Ad don't try to use finishers when enemies are within 5 feet of you, or you'll just get 1-shotted before you finish the SLOW Finisher combo.

Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere in this thread and I just missed it, but I was checking out the achievements I haven't received yet and the 'build a tier 3 charm' acheivement is one of them. Maybe this was explained in the opening explanation of each inventory tab or somewhere else, but I managed to get a guy up to level 50 with out realizing you could 'build' a charm. I just figured the were awarded for completing certain quests, not that the quests had yet to be given. Anyone want to provide a quick and dirty guide on charms?

Guys, thanks for the tips and advice. After applying them to the game, I find it a lot more manageable now. I may even finish it!

I've realized this weekend that in spite of my preconceptions of a Berserker's strengths, I stay alive a lot longer if I rely heavily on my fierce attacks. It's a lot safer when attacking dark elf groups. The damage meter also told me that you can hurt a dark elf even when he seems to be in an invulnerable getting-up animation. I now have relatively safe ways of dealing with each type of enemy that I come across, and I have somewhat of a plan in mind when I come across mixed groups of them. That is, take out all the ranged guys before taking out the trolls.

I'm in between Level 3 and 4 now. I'm not looking forward to the ice trolls. It sucks that you cannot dodge through the freezing effect.

Does anyone know what benefits you get out of improved Dexterity?

inspiringsn wrote:

Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere in this thread and I just missed it, but I was checking out the achievements I haven't received yet and the 'build a tier 3 charm' acheivement is one of them. Maybe this was explained in the opening explanation of each inventory tab or somewhere else, but I managed to get a guy up to level 50 with out realizing you could 'build' a charm. I just figured the were awarded for completing certain quests, not that the quests had yet to be given. Anyone want to provide a quick and dirty guide on charms?

So far I've only gotten one color type of charms (gray), but since all the items and runes come in different color varieties, perhaps there are other colors of charms as well?

coyo7e wrote:

stuff about trolls

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know. 100 hours invested into the game so far.

Elite trolls don't show you an "A button" graphic. I'm talking about regular trolls who show you the A button and won't tell you climb on their backs. Eventually you can, but there aren't any special circumstances that I wasn't doing the first 20 times I slapped the A button.

I'm not sure why you would defend the game in this way. It's a fun game, admitting its problems won't prevent people from buying it. Goodjers are a pretty smart bunch.

souldaddy wrote:

I finished Act 2 (Ice Forrest) with my Berserker, solo, and only died once. No super gear, didn't really use my fierce attacks all that much either. So it is possible.

Just keep playing, the 100 death achievement will be yours by the time you finish. Or maybe you'll have the right mix of skills ... I'll be interested to know what you used if you manage it without much frustration.

I finished Act 2 (Ice Forrest) with my Berserker, solo, and only died once. No super gear, didn't really use my fierce attacks all that much either. So it is possible.

EDIT: I've also found my first Level 3 Charms. +1 to all skills, now all I need to do is kill 150 trolls, 4,000 undead for the 2nd charm.

The end game loot is fairly fun. Too Human does have an "end game" just like WoW. The mobs when you are level 50 are brutal and there is interesting loot to counter them.

Certis wrote:
souldaddy wrote:

I finished Act 2 (Ice Forrest) with my Berserker, solo, and only died once. No super gear, didn't really use my fierce attacks all that much either. So it is possible.

Just keep playing, the 100 death achievement will be yours by the time you finish. Or maybe you'll have the right mix of skills ... I'll be interested to know what you used if you manage it without much frustration.

It wasn't twitch skills, that's for sure. My biggest strength was knowing the enemies and how to deal with them. That's probably my favorite part of this game, the learning hasn't ended, even at level 50.

I mostly stuck to my battle cry, ruiners, and spider. I never got stingy with my combo points, the one time I did, I died. I'd always hop over the ground enemies and hit the ranged bad guys first. If I entered a situation with a lot of trolls, missile goblins, and regular trolls, I activated my sentinel. The final battle with the boss sucked, mostly because the ranged targeting system was so bad. A few times I was locked onto things behind me. Pure luck that I didn't die there. When I finally reach the ground floor to face Hod, I activated my sentinel and it killed Hod before I could finish my 2nd dark elf.

Berserker was level 36, btw.

coyo7e wrote:
souldaddy wrote:
coyo7e wrote:

stuff about trolls

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know. 100 hours invested into the game so far.

Elite trolls don't show you an "A button" graphic. I'm talking about regular trolls who show you the A button and won't tell you climb on their backs. Eventually you can, but there aren't any special circumstances that I wasn't doing the first 20 times I slapped the A button.

I'm not sure why you would defend the game in this way. It's a fun game, admitting its problems won't prevent people from buying it. Goodjers are a pretty smart bunch.

I'm not sure how or where I was "defending the game" at all in that particular post, I was simply trying to be helpful. You're coming across as pretty nasty, if you weren't aware of it.

And the only other time I've noticed you can't climb onto a troll is after you've died but the combat is still in progress, sometimes you can't get onto them if you broke their armor then died.

My bad. I couldn't tell what your angle was.

Desterity is a mulitplier on all ranged damage, similar to how Strength is for all melee.

souldaddy wrote:
coyo7e wrote:

stuff about trolls

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know. 100 hours invested into the game so far.

Elite trolls don't show you an "A button" graphic. I'm talking about regular trolls who show you the A button and won't tell you climb on their backs. Eventually you can, but there aren't any special circumstances that I wasn't doing the first 20 times I slapped the A button.

I'm not sure why you would defend the game in this way. It's a fun game, admitting its problems won't prevent people from buying it. Goodjers are a pretty smart bunch.

I'm not sure how or where I was "defending the game" at all in that particular post, I was simply trying to be helpful. You're coming across as pretty nasty, if you weren't aware of it.

And the only other time I've noticed you can't climb onto a troll is after you've died but the combat is still in progress, sometimes you can't get onto them if you broke their armor then died.

Played the demo last night (I had to quit because the tv was giving me a headache), and overall I really like it. A couple of questions about it though:

Is the text readable on an SDTV? Does it still stay as fun after the demo period?
I probably will pick it up after the first price drop, it looks pretty good (And I'm a sucker for mythology inspired games, especially Norse mythology, as there's SO much you can do with it.)

How did that turn into a double-post?

coyo7e wrote:

Desterity is a mulitplier on all ranged damage, similar to how Strength is for all melee.

So is a Fierce attack considered melee or ranged?

Yoyoson wrote:
coyo7e wrote:

Desterity is a mulitplier on all ranged damage, similar to how Strength is for all melee.

So is a Fierce attack considered melee or ranged?

It's considered melee, so it'll damage just about anything.

I finished this up this afternoon. Very flawed game but I loved it. I wanted to finish it once myself to get the story before jumping into co-op. Now that I have, feel free to invite me if you see me. Whether with my level 26 Beserker or a new character, I'm anxious to jump into online play.

Hit me up, parallax. I'm still hopeless addicted to Too Human. Mercs 2 has set neglected this weekend because of this game

Yeah, I won't be buying Mercs 2 until my 360 is replaced. But I can usually still whack it on the top repeatedly and eventually get a disc to read. I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow night.

Kannon wrote:

Played the demo last night (I had to quit because the tv was giving me a headache), and overall I really like it. A couple of questions about it though:

Is the text readable on an SDTV? Does it still stay as fun after the demo period?
I probably will pick it up after the first price drop, it looks pretty good (And I'm a sucker for mythology inspired games, especially Norse mythology, as there's SO much you can do with it.)

Honestly, I hated the demo but enjoy the retail game. To me, the more advanced strats you need at higher levels is where the fun is. If you enjoy the demo you'll probably love the full game even more.

Charms and stuff...

Charms come in 3 flavors, level 1 (grey), level 2 (blue), and level 3 (red). Each requires 2 things, a certain task to be completed (from activate 1 well to my latest level 3 charm, kill 16000 enemies..!) and certain runes or charms to be placed in the charm itself. Once both conditions are met, the charm is activated, and it's respective effect(s) are applied.

A level 1 charm requires runes to be placed in it (any type, from grey to red can be used - pro tip: use the cheapest possible ).

A level 2 charm required completed level 1 charms to be used in it. As you can imagine, because you need to do things to complete the level 1 charm and also things for the level 2 charm, these can take a bit longer.

A level 3 charm requires completed level 2 charms. This can take FOREVER. For example, not only do I Need to kill 16000 enemies for my level 3 charm, I also need to have 3 completed level 2 charms of the required types (not just any level 2 charms) and I don't even have all of them in my inventory yet. Considering each level 2 charm, on average, requires 3 level 1 charms, and each of the level 1 charms requires 3-5 runes, one level 3 charm requires, at a minimum:
3 (completed) level 2 charms, 9 (completed) level 1 charms, and 27 runes (minimum).

Shoal07 wrote:
Charms and stuff...

Charms come in 3 flavors, level 1 (grey), level 2 (blue), and level 3 (red). Each requires 2 things, a certain task to be completed (from activate 1 well to my latest level 3 charm, kill 16000 enemies..!) and certain runes or charms to be placed in the charm itself. Once both conditions are met, the charm is activated, and it's respective effect(s) are applied.

A level 1 charm requires runes to be placed in it (any type, from grey to red can be used - pro tip: use the cheapest possible ).

A level 2 charm required completed level 1 charms to be used in it. As you can imagine, because you need to do things to complete the level 1 charm and also things for the level 2 charm, these can take a bit longer.

A level 3 charm requires completed level 2 charms. This can take FOREVER. For example, not only do I Need to kill 16000 enemies for my level 3 charm, I also need to have 3 completed level 2 charms of the required types (not just any level 2 charms) and I don't even have all of them in my inventory yet. Considering each level 2 charm, on average, requires 3 level 1 charms, and each of the level 1 charms requires 3-5 runes, one level 3 charm requires, at a minimum:
3 (completed) level 2 charms, 9 (completed) level 1 charms, and 27 runes (minimum).

I've also heard that once you've completed a charm, you don't have to keep it on one of your two active slots to get its benefits.

Thanks for the information guys.

Yoyoson wrote:

I've also heard that once you've completed a charm, you don't have to keep it on one of your two active slots to get its benefits.

Hmmm, if that is true, that would seriously change my playstyle... Off to google I go!

Shoal07 wrote:
Yoyoson wrote:

I've also heard that once you've completed a charm, you don't have to keep it on one of your two active slots to get its benefits.

Hmmm, if that is true, that would seriously change my playstyle... Off to google I go!

From what I've seen so far... that is not the case. THen again, if it was then I think it would break the game. Right now I have two charms equipped, both Lv2, one is set to turn an enemy against others and one that freezes an enemy. Now, I'd say 50-75% of ranged attack that hit my character freeze the enemy and I have at least 3 guys running around attacking my enemies. Now, imaging if I had all 20 charms active, especially once I have Lv.3 Charms... everything will pretty much die just by looking at my character.

I was wrong, the completed charm needs to be in the slot to work.

Yea it definitely needs to be equipped.

Kannon wrote:

Played the demo last night (I had to quit because the tv was giving me a headache), and overall I really like it. A couple of questions about it though:

Is the text readable on an SDTV? Does it still stay as fun after the demo period?
I probably will pick it up after the first price drop, it looks pretty good (And I'm a sucker for mythology inspired games, especially Norse mythology, as there's SO much you can do with it.)

Yeah, I play on an SDTV and it's readable. There is a little trouble in telling Orange and Red items apart, but once you see your first true Red Elite item, you'll never mistake oranges for reds again.

souldaddy wrote:

I mostly stuck to my battle cry, ruiners, and spider. I never got stingy with my combo points, the one time I did, I died. I'd always hop over the ground enemies and hit the ranged bad guys first. If I entered a situation with a lot of trolls, missile goblins, and regular trolls, I activated my sentinel. The final battle with the boss sucked, mostly because the ranged targeting system was so bad. A few times I was locked onto things behind me. Pure luck that I didn't die there. When I finally reach the ground floor to face Hod, I activated my sentinel and it killed Hod before I could finish my 2nd dark elf.

For those unaware, every boss in the game (except for Garm, whose hitboxes are broken and you can't really melee him till he huddles up) can be defeated fairly easily with melee attacks and/or ruiners, either by stick-and-move tactics, or by stunning them with a Ruiner, then hitting them with Finishers. A friend and myself killed Hod in less than 30 seconds after we cleared the elves out, by just standing on either side and chaining ruiners and finishers. I've also killed GRNDL with my berserker using nothing but melee, if you stun him when he stands, an aerial finisher will do a huge amount of damage.

Hod will not attack while being shot at, so just start shooting and run in close, then hit him with a Ruiner when he lands (if he's spinning he's immune to all damage) and just thwack him a couple times, rinse repeat.

My personal favorite method to killing Hod though, is to "trick" him into doing a somersault, then firing a grenade from my rifle at him when he's able 2/3 of the way through his animation. The grenade lands behind him while he's standing (he won't dodge since you fired while he was dodging,) and will hit him for a few thousand damage per shot.

The part where you shoot the pedestals is obnoxious and it can be hard to target since there is so much random junk in the way, but if you just hold the right stick and rock it while firing, you'll stay on the pedestals instead of the trash.

The power levels you get to when your character has been level 50 for a little bit are pretty crazy, a friend and I cleared Hel last night insanely quickly, we were both Commandos and he has 2 pieces of his elite set, we were able to drop Garm in about 60 seconds and Hel only had time to summon one group of zombies because we did so much damage so fast, she'd almost immediately teleport to the next room. I can confirm that battlecries stack as well; I was on my lowbie berserker with a friend who'd jsut bought the game and we both used the runspeed battlecry while fighting GRNDL-1.. I was literalyl backpedalling faster than GRNDL could charge me, while firing!

coyo7e wrote:

There is a little trouble in telling Orange and Red items apart, but once you see your first true Red Elite item, you'll never mistake oranges for reds again.

Well, considering that the drop rate for Red items is frustratingly low... I don't think he need to worry about telling the difference between Epic and Elite items.

Nei wrote:
coyo7e wrote:

There is a little trouble in telling Orange and Red items apart, but once you see your first true Red Elite item, you'll never mistake oranges for reds again.

Well, considering that the drop rate for Red items is frustratingly low... I don't think he need to worry about telling the difference between Epic and Elite items. :)

I've seen literally dozens of people on another forum, come into the too human thread with "HEY GUYS I JUST GOT THIS AWESOME LEVEL 18 RED!!!1!!one!!" and we have to let them all down with "yeah, uhh, that's a random orange, dude. The Altruist set is NOT an elite item."

I personally couldn't tell the difference either, until I found a level 24 Red rifle in the shop, the "Incinerator of Grief", and saw the amount of crazy powerful runes in it, and went "aha!"

Protip: The name will be red, it's easier to tell than the icon.

If anyone is interested in some co-op play, please don't hesitate to 'friend me up' on Live. I should be free tonight after about 7 pm (est) if anyone is interested.

So...just finished the single player campaign. Some quick thoughts while spore installs...

- I'm still enjoying the game and will be going back to get my character to 50, try a few other character classes, etc. For all its flaws I'm definitely getting my moneys worth out of it.

- I really didn't die very often at all while playing the game. (a couple of times on the ice forest chapter and that's pretty much it I think). Admittedly I did go back to the first map a couple of times over the course of the games for a bit of extra lewt, but overall I seem to have avoided the pains of the slow death animation, at least with this character.

- I REALLY wish they could go back and optimise the inventory screen. It gets agonisingly slow to navigate once you've got a lot of gear, runes, etc.

- I would have liked a little more 'complex' crafting involved, rather than just "pay x cash to create the item". It just feels like a deliberate money sink.

- The charm/rune system on the other hand I think works really well and changed the way I was playing the game completely once I figured out how they worked.