Official Fallout 3 Catch-All

Is there a good mod that strips out the main story from Fallout 3? I'm more than happy to ignore it during a playthrough, but I'm trying to track down an F3 mod that doesn't ever allow me to get close to the stupid main story.

I uh.. I don't know if this has been posted or not in this thread, but this is the coolest thing I've seen all day.

Arise thread!

garion333 wrote:

Is there a good mod that strips out the main story from Fallout 3? I'm more than happy to ignore it during a playthrough, but I'm trying to track down an F3 mod that doesn't ever allow me to get close to the stupid main story.

I've built a new from-scratch PC. I own and enjoy Fallout 76 (for PC). I own Fallout New Vegas on PS3 (where I have yet to complete it despite playing for a hundred or two hundred hours) and on PC (where I have yet to launch it). I own and enjoy Fallout 4 on PS4 (I'm nowhere near following the main quest line). But I'm really interested to start a new Fallout 3 game on PC.

What I'm not really interested in starting, though, is being born to Liam Neeson and crawling around Vault 101 and...all that. I know there are alternate-start mods and I've been hunting, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a really good, solid one to try. I'm not as concerned with the stuff FWE offers, though it's cool. I'll probably use two mods: one that makes combat deadlier (like Puce Moose's The Mantis Imperative, which also adds some cool creatures and stories, and maybe Stealth Indicator Remover which purports to remove the "Caution" and "Danger" and "Hidden" indicators when crouched); and one that helps me skip the intro stuff and just walk out into the wasteland.

I'm using Vortex which should work well, or I hope it will, for what it's worth.

This looks pretty cool: Fallout 3 Immersive Add-Ons: A Beginner's Guide to a Lore-friendly Wasteland.

Fallout 3 Immersive Add-Ons is my personal guide for mods that overhaul the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Fallout 3 in a lore-friendly manner by adding fresh content while also retaining the feel of the vanilla game.
muraii wrote:

This looks pretty cool: Fallout 3 Immersive Add-Ons: A Beginner's Guide to a Lore-friendly Wasteland.

Fallout 3 Immersive Add-Ons is my personal guide for mods that overhaul the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Fallout 3 in a lore-friendly manner by adding fresh content while also retaining the feel of the vanilla game.

So to follow up, I use Vortex to manage mods but FOSE, which some/many require, isn’t a typical mod. After some hunting I found a guide that correctly directs users to place the FOSE dlls and executable in the game directory, and then Vortex will detect it and you’re good.

I loaded three mods. The first is Custom Beginning Deluxe (Updated) [sic]. This allows you to choose a starting point outside Vault 101 based on choosing one of about 10 player histories. I chose to start as an Underworld resident, which meant I started outside Underworld, the ghoul city. It also meant ghouls—feral and not—aren’t hostile to me. That might be overpowered so I might try something else. Like starting as a Raider.

I also installed Stealth Indicator Remover, which disables the crouched hidden indicators, but didn’t end up playing with it installed yet.

The third is just a dependency of CBD.

Now, to the Capital Wasteland!

muraii wrote:

Arise thread!

garion333 wrote:

Is there a good mod that strips out the main story from Fallout 3? I'm more than happy to ignore it during a playthrough, but I'm trying to track down an F3 mod that doesn't ever allow me to get close to the stupid main story.

I've built a new from-scratch PC. I own and enjoy Fallout 76 (for PC). I own Fallout New Vegas on PS3 (where I have yet to complete it despite playing for a hundred or two hundred hours) and on PC (where I have yet to launch it). I own and enjoy Fallout 4 on PS4 (I'm nowhere near following the main quest line). But I'm really interested to start a new Fallout 3 game on PC.

What I'm not really interested in starting, though, is being born to Liam Neeson and crawling around Vault 101 and...all that. I know there are alternate-start mods and I've been hunting, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a really good, solid one to try. I'm not as concerned with the stuff FWE offers, though it's cool. I'll probably use two mods: one that makes combat deadlier (like Puce Moose's The Mantis Imperative, which also adds some cool creatures and stories, and maybe Stealth Indicator Remover which purports to remove the "Caution" and "Danger" and "Hidden" indicators when crouched); and one that helps me skip the intro stuff and just walk out into the wasteland.

I'm using Vortex which should work well, or I hope it will, for what it's worth.

Wow, what year did you dig that quote up from?

I can't say I ever played with a mod that removed the plotline in Fallout 3, but if I have used alternative starts many times in Skyrim and those starts make it reasonably easy to ignore the main plot.

It's a shame Fallout 76 has had such a rough time, mostly earned, but the almost lack of a main story is a huge plue. (It's really little more than a long tutorial.)

On the other hand, I think 76 has the best story of the Bethesda games. It doesn't force you to pay attention to it, but it's been far more enjoyable to discover and follow than chasing after Dad or finding my jerk of a son.

My daughter installed Fallout 3 for the first time on her Windows 10 laptop. She installed through Steam. She has not been able to successfully play it yet. She's getting the fairly common error:

Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found.

She has tried these various suggestions:

Nothing has succeeded in letting her to play the game. She's playing other Bethesda games on Steam, including both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4, without issues. And she knows where Fallout 3 is installed, or at least where the game files are, including Fallout3.exe and FalloutLauncherSteam.exe. Running them directly, in Compatibility mode or as Admin, is not doing the job.

Is this a known problem with Fallout 3 and Windows 10? I know there were some issues with the GFWL platform but the October '21 1.7.0.4 patch of Fallout 3 removed that dependency. My daughter just installed the game today for the first time, so hopefully the GFWL stuff is now irrelevant.

Any hints?

There's a community guide here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...
Some are saying that it works, others saying that it doesn't.

I haven't vetted the guide contents so be careful checking out the extra files they want you to download.

polypusher wrote:

There's a community guide here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...
Some are saying that it works, others saying that it doesn't.

I haven't vetted the guide contents so be careful checking out the extra files they want you to download.

Thanks. I'd seen another guide that had been updated in roughly the same timeline, but had been created much longer ago, and it didn't seem helpful. We'll see!

muraii wrote:

My daughter installed Fallout 3 for the first time on her Windows 10 laptop. She installed through Steam. She has not been able to successfully play it yet. She's getting the fairly common error:

Fallout 3 does not appear to be installed and the installer could not be found.

She has tried these various suggestions:

Nothing has succeeded in letting her to play the game. She's playing other Bethesda games on Steam, including both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4, without issues. And she knows where Fallout 3 is installed, or at least where the game files are, including Fallout3.exe and FalloutLauncherSteam.exe. Running them directly, in Compatibility mode or as Admin, is not doing the job.

Is this a known problem with Fallout 3 and Windows 10? I know there were some issues with the GFWL platform but the October '21 1.7.0.4 patch of Fallout 3 removed that dependency. My daughter just installed the game today for the first time, so hopefully the GFWL stuff is now irrelevant.

Any hints?

I ran into this nearly a year ago. Tried all the suggested fixes, nothing. I decided it had to be a Radeon driver issue that would eventually get addressed, so I kept it installed and tried launching it occasionally, to no avail.

It works now. I have no idea if it was a coincidence, but after installing Windows 11 on a new PC with fresh installs of all games and drivers, it started working. I would not go so far as to call this a recommendation.