Official Fallout 3 Catch-All

At the very least get all of Puce's mods. Mantis Imperative and Evening with Mr. Manchester especially are fantastic, and when I replay FO3 I usually work through all of his mods before doing anything else in the game.

OK, butt-kissing session over.

More Three-Dog coming in some form: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/fall...

Scratched wrote:

More Three-Dog coming in some form: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/09/fall...

Maybe a movie!

Ooooh Three-Dog! I do hope he returns for Fallout 4. I thought Wayne Newton did a good job as Mr. New Vegas in New Vegas, but I really enjoyed Three-Dog.

Puce Moose wrote:

Ooooh Three-Dog! I do hope he returns for Fallout 4. I thought Wayne Newton did a good job as Mr. New Vegas in New Vegas, but I really enjoyed Three-Dog.

Agreed, but maybe record a few more lines?

clever id wrote:
Puce Moose wrote:

Ooooh Three-Dog! I do hope he returns for Fallout 4. I thought Wayne Newton did a good job as Mr. New Vegas in New Vegas, but I really enjoyed Three-Dog.

Agreed, but maybe record a few more lines? :)

I'm not sure they can record enough lines to ever keep it from being repetitive forever, unless... Maybe they just start a streaming radio station which we can pick-up in-game. They only need to keep it running for as long as people generally play Bethesda RPGs (indefinitely).

Procedurally generated radio chatter?

VeggiePirate wrote:

I'm not sure they can record enough lines to ever keep it from being repetitive forever, unless... Maybe they just start a streaming radio station which we can pick-up in-game. They only need to keep it running for as long as people generally play Bethesda RPGs (indefinitely).

Hah, that wouldn't be a bad idea actually. Obviously it would be limited in scope, but I'd like to see more game play around with online connectivity in weird ways like that.

So I just picked up the GOTY edition on sale and wanted to ask you guys about mods. The game looks better than I remember it in the past (had it on console). Every time I Google Mods for it they are all at least a year old. I was just curious if the game can/should still be modded. If so can you guys give me a recommendation?

You should go to nexus and checkout the top rated mods. The unofficial patch mods would be a must but you can finish the game without the bugs fixed in the patch.

I'd also suggest you follow the link in Puce Moose's signature.

Will do, thank you.

Just finished playing FO3 some months ago. I'll post the mods that I used when I get home.

One that I remember offhand being an outstanding place to start for modding is the FOOK project.

Ok, here is what I was running:

-FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager)
-DUI (Darnified UI for Fallout 3) *Note: This requires FOSE (Fallout Script Extender) to be installed, too (took me a while to figure that out)
-Games for Windows Live Disabler (Faster initial boot time and easier access to your saved games)
-Fallout Fullscreen NV (Makes the game run in borderless fullscreen window (fixes being unable to ALT-TAB back into the game from desktop)
-Gore No More Basic (Gets rid of the gratuitous decapitations)
-Hacking Terminals is easier (Just speeds up the terminal hacking - I was spending way too much time hacking instead of exploring)

Is the Fallout Fullscreen NV just for FONV, or 3 as well?

Sorry for dirty skimming, but I recently heard that some former Games for Windows games are being retrofitted to be Steam titles. Does anyone know if this has been announced for FO 3?

muraii wrote:

Is the Fallout Fullscreen NV just for FONV, or 3 as well?

It works for FO3 also.

jdzappa wrote:

Sorry for dirty skimming, but I recently heard that some former Games for Windows games are being retrofitted to be Steam titles. Does anyone know if this has been announced for FO 3?

Don't know if that's on the list, but the GFWL Disabler worked fine for me.

As I recall, running the Fallout3 Script Extender bypasses GFWL as well.

After a few failed attempts to get it running again on Windows 7, I decided to get a copy of the GOTY edition on 360. I don't know why (perhaps because it's been so long since I played it, or that I don't have to go down the rabbit hole of modding) but it's sunk its hooks into me in a deep, deep way. I haven't been able to pry myself away from it long enough to play anything else.

It feels at once cleaner and tighter, yet robust and open. I don't feel so compelled to squeeze every bit of experience out of every single situation and power-game my way through it like usual. Can't hack that computer? No worries, there are plenty more. Don't have the uber-est of weapons or biggest set of armor? Eh, I look cooler in the leather armor anyway. See a patrol of Enclave soldiers but know I can't take them? That's cool, I don't have to be the biggest bad-ass in the Wasteland.

beanman101283 wrote:
VeggiePirate wrote:

I'm not sure they can record enough lines to ever keep it from being repetitive forever, unless... Maybe they just start a streaming radio station which we can pick-up in-game. They only need to keep it running for as long as people generally play Bethesda RPGs (indefinitely).

Hah, that wouldn't be a bad idea actually. Obviously it would be limited in scope, but I'd like to see more game play around with online connectivity in weird ways like that.

Yep that could be amazing - sort of a Kerberos network sort of thing, but a daily radio broadcast that rolls around depending on connectivity. It could be a simple political update, or a random observation, or perhaps a micro-patch that adds a teeny tiny side-adventure/reward/crashed verti-bird, that you'd only find if you heard/listened and followed the clues from the daily connectivity update. *HAMMERS ON GLASS CAGE* Hire me Bethesda and I will make this for you, if you give me competent network teams, because I don't know a damn thing about that part of it!

Nicholaas wrote:

After a few failed attempts to get it running again on Windows 7, I decided to get a copy of the GOTY edition on 360. I don't know why (perhaps because it's been so long since I played it, or that I don't have to go down the rabbit hole of modding) but it's sunk its hooks into me in a deep, deep way. I haven't been able to pry myself away from it long enough to play anything else.

It feels at once cleaner and tighter, yet robust and open. I don't feel so compelled to squeeze every bit of experience out of every single situation and power-game my way through it like usual. Can't hack that computer? No worries, there are plenty more. Don't have the uber-est of weapons or biggest set of armor? Eh, I look cooler in the leather armor anyway. See a patrol of Enclave soldiers but know I can't take them? That's cool, I don't have to be the biggest bad-ass in the Wasteland.

That's a super healthy way to approach it. I'm usually closer to this.

Okay, I have located the Fallout 3 thread.

So, once I know which DLC I want to play: When do I install it? It's all just hanging out on disc 2 of the GOTY edition. I'm fine with not installing any of it until I'm done with the main game if it all comes after the main game. Once installed, do I just suddenly have some new quest lines pointing to the new areas, or do they launch separately from the main game? Just trying to figure out how they all fit together. Thanks!

If you have DLC installed the game will just pop up a message as soon as you load your game. Something like "you suddenly hear a mysterious radio broadcast" or somesuch.

If you make a new game it dumps all of them on you the moment you get out of the starting area, which is a little awkward.

I personally enjoyed all of it. Maybe I've got low standards, not unlike people who like Supernatural, but I played it all to completion or close to it. Point Lookup busted me up good, and of course Broken Steel is critical if you want to wander freely--or at all--after you finish the main quest. Pity no such fix exists for NV, at least not for consoles (there may be a mod that opens that up on PC). I wasn't thrilled with Mothership Zeta necessarily, but it was a brand of fun.

My next step is to get some of Puce Moose's mods installed. I own both 3 and NV on PC, but have played neither there. Need a new harddrive first.

I wasn't thrilled with Mothership Zeta necessarily, but it was a brand of fun.

Here's the thing about MZ for me. I hated it mechanically. It was kind of boring just running through the ship shooting at aliens all the time. (Seriously, on their home turf, aliens can't stop a single guy from a wasteland of a planet?)

But... the alien abduction recordings were hilarious. I kind of just want to listen to all of them again, having thought about it now.

If a don´t remenber it wrong there are some new radio signals you have to follow, if you install all the mods along the game it makes it more harder because of the enemies, more powerful mutants among others, my memory is a bit sketchy sorry, but i really love the chinese stealth armor you get in the virtual one, and the space DLC adds really cool weapons, man i gotta install some mods and play the game again, how i loved roaming the wasteland just listening to the three dog radio.
But i guess i should finish new vegas first, so many games, so little time

I abused a combo of Chinese stealth armor and Gauss rifle. Like, I ended up just sniping the crap (and other offal) out of deathclaws. Eventually got boring but the armor is balanced well enough.

muraii wrote:

I abused a combo of Chinese stealth armor and Gauss rifle. Like, I ended up just sniping the crap (and other offal) out of deathclaws. Eventually got boring but the armor is balanced well enough.

I played the Alaska DLC really early and used the stealth armor and lightning sword for the rest of the game. I was never not crouched for the next 100 hours after I got that armor.