Mexico declares war on... emo?

Link

Never been a big fan of the "emo" culture. They've always struck me as kind of like Goth but a lot whingier and with worse taste in music.

Still, I think this may be going a little too far...

A little? I mean, emo sucks, yeah, but unless they crash a hardcore show or a football team practice, they don't usually risk being beaten up for it...

wow that video was hysterical especially when the Hare Krishna band rolled through to stop the violence!

I need a clique I feel left out.

Apparently in England, it's the goths that get attacked.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...

Apparently, in Mexico, emos are associated with homosexuality... this is Certis is awesome-bashing with a quick coat of paint.

Disgusting.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Apparently in England, it's the goths that get attacked.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...

Problem with that is goths tend to be spikey. And when attacked they'll curl into a tight ball like a porcupine.

Malor wrote:

Apparently, in Mexico, emos are associated with homosexuality... this is Certis is awesome-bashing with a quick coat of paint.

Disgusting.

Support for this please?

On the bright side isn't this just validation for their chosen lifestyle (emo that is, I'm not sold on the emo=homosexual thing), that life sucks and all that jazz?

In soviet Russia, The Animals are Emo

This has got to be a joke piece right?...ala onion?...this CANNOT POSSIBLY be real?

WTF has that sh*t country gone to when kids are attacking other kids based on their musical preference?!
f*cking attack the DRUG CARTELS so your sh*t country will be better for once.

Besides, the term "emo" is hardly emo these days. What you see are kids being all "scene". True emo was NEVER mainstream enough and faded out in the...early 2000s i believe.
Rights of Spring, Saetia, Portraits of Past, Orchid, THESE were "emo" bands way back when they actually had punk-prog influences. Far cry from todays "emo" music.

Two years old guys...two years old.

Yep... Two years.

Zhaosen wrote:

This has got to be a joke piece right?...ala onion?...this CANNOT POSSIBLY be real?

WTF has that sh*t country gone to when kids are attacking other kids based on their musical preference?!
f*cking attack the DRUG CARTELS so your sh*t country will be better for once.

Besides, the term "emo" is hardly emo these days. What you see are kids being all "scene". True emo was NEVER mainstream enough and faded out in the...early 2000s i believe.
Rights of Spring, Saetia, Portraits of Past, Orchid, THESE were "emo" bands way back when they actually had punk-prog influences. Far cry from todays "emo" music.

Well, it's not just musical preference. You can't tell someone's musical preference by their style of clothing unless they're wearing a KISS T-shirt or something. The sort of "emo" they're talking about is a lifestyle. Some find it a bit obnoxious, particularly those emos who arrogantly believe they should rightfully act depressed because they can "see" things that others don't; this is the origin of the hairstyle that covers one eye, to signify that other people are half-blind. They tend not to allow that other people do see the same things they do, but have too much sh*t to take care of to let it consume their lives. That said, it is only about as significant as a taste in music and clearly does not justify violent assault or death.

Now as for why the locals prioritize emos over the drug dealers, I can only speculate. I would guess that it's because 1) when you're angry and frightened it helps to have a target, and 2) emos tend not to carry assault rifles.

That is pure speculation, of course.

LobsterMobster wrote:

particularly those emos who arrogantly believe they should rightfully act depressed because they can "see" things that others don't; this is the origin of the hairstyle that covers one eye, to signify that other people are half-blind.

Huh... You learn something new everyday.

Shoal07 wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

particularly those emos who arrogantly believe they should rightfully act depressed because they can "see" things that others don't; this is the origin of the hairstyle that covers one eye, to signify that other people are half-blind.

Huh... You learn something new everyday.

My money's on that being a retroactive excuse for kids taking their haircuts from anime.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Shoal07 wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

particularly those emos who arrogantly believe they should rightfully act depressed because they can "see" things that others don't; this is the origin of the hairstyle that covers one eye, to signify that other people are half-blind.

Huh... You learn something new everyday.

My money's on that being a retroactive excuse for kids taking their haircuts from anime.

Nah, then they'd look like starfish. I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I've read.

Perhaps they need more peace loving hippies or hipsters to declare war against instead.

Spoiler:

This is meant in jest. Don't want to ruffle feathers.