Age of Conan delayed... again (to May 20th, not longer)

So, yet again FunCom has delayed Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures. The only link I have so far is a Norwegian newspaper, but it says that the game will now be launched May 20th.

Erling Ellingsen of Funcom wrote:

-The reason we are delaying is because we through betatesting have identified bugs we wish to repair before launch. We feel that this is in the game's best interest.

Agemmon wrote:

The only link I have so far is a Norwegian newspaper

There really is no compromise when it comes to URLs, it's either a trap or the real one, you can't get both at the same time ;). The delay has also been brought up in this thread.

1) I'm in favor of delaying games until they are done.

2) In the MMO market, releasing anything unfinished into the jungle where the 800 lbs. gorilla that is WoW can mercilessly savage it would be suicidal.

Therefore, good call. Or as Miyamoto has said, paraphrased, "A late game can still be great, but a bad game is bad forever."

Would be a good idea. I plan to have Logan sit in for me when I am on my honeymoon.

- Legion, taking "keeping it in the family" to a whole new level.

Xbox Live: Fedaykin98

Fedaykin98 wrote:

1) I'm in favor of delaying games until they are done.

2) In the MMO market, releasing anything unfinished into the jungle where the 800 lbs. gorilla that is WoW can mercilessly savage it would be suicidal.

Therefore, good call. Or as Miyamoto has said, paraphrased, "A late game can still be great, but a bad game is bad forever."

Exactly what Fedaykin said. I'd rather they polish the game and get it done right rather than rush to market with a still-beta POS. If that means and 8 week delay? Oh well.

So true. It's going to have to have something special to chip into that WoW market. I'll wait a few months for a good product. Someone should have told the Hellgate guys that.

Erling Ellingsen of Funcom wrote:

-The reason we are delaying is because we through betatesting have identified bugs we wish to repair before launch. We feel that this is in the game's best interest.

Is this really worthy of a public statement? And you do really need to emphasize the bolded bit?

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
Erling Ellingsen of Funcom wrote:

-The reason we are delaying is because we through betatesting have identified bugs we wish to repair before launch. We feel that this is in the game's best interest.

Is this really worthy of a public statement? And you do really need to emphasize the bolded bit?

Hehe the release of the statement i saw didn't have the bolded bits. Probably whoever posted this did.

No problem with this. Give me more time for my next build. More time to save, more money for newer parts. I have no issues with a delay. Better a delay than a crappy product I always say.

Yes, but in the meantime, I NEEED something. I can't find a good MMO to play at the moment. It is driving me nuts. I've actually cleaned my house and gotten some real work done. This is so WRONG!!!

peacensunshine wrote:

Yes, but in the meantime, I NEEED something. I can't find a good MMO to play at the moment. It is driving me nuts. I've actually cleaned my house and gotten some real work done. This is so WRONG!!!

hehe i've got where i'm cycling through all my old MMO's. A week in WoW, a week in SWG, a week in Vanguard, a week in EQ2. It helps pass the time, but in the end it makes it painfully aware why i'm waiting for AoC.

ranalin wrote:
peacensunshine wrote:

Yes, but in the meantime, I NEEED something. I can't find a good MMO to play at the moment. It is driving me nuts. I've actually cleaned my house and gotten some real work done. This is so WRONG!!!

hehe i've got where i'm cycling through all my old MMO's. A week in WoW, a week in SWG, a week in Vanguard, a week in EQ2. It helps pass the time, but in the end it makes it painfully aware why i'm waiting for AoC. :)

Haha, that is kind of what I've been doing too. Most of them are letting you do it for free too. I even did a week of DAOC, and it was sooo slow. I don't remember it being that slow.

My patience for AOC and Warhammer is wearing thin!

I pray my MMO defense stat is strong enough to resist this. No one post anything positive about the game when it launches, okay?

What are y'all (peace and ranalin) gonna do if AoC and WAR suck? Focus on the here and now, and just try those when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly anticipating AoC.

Would be a good idea. I plan to have Logan sit in for me when I am on my honeymoon.

- Legion, taking "keeping it in the family" to a whole new level.

Xbox Live: Fedaykin98

I'm certainly ok with it too... being delayed. I used to bounce around and play MMOs until the next best thing came out, but at this point, I've not played an MMO since I lapsed my WoW account about a month after its release and Vanguard for about a month before I got tired of it and its terrible and buggy release.

If one of these two games doesn't work out, it may be that more console games take up the time I usually invest in MMOs.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

What are y'all (peace and ranalin) gonna do if AoC and WAR suck? Focus on the here and now, and just try those when they come.

Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly anticipating AoC.

The here/now bores me to tears, that's why i've been MMO hopping so much. There's something i like in most MMO's. Still right now there's not enough of what i like in just one to keep me planted. One of the reasons why i attached onto AoC so hard is that seem to be combining a lot of the elements that i like. Will those elements be up to par to what i'm expecting? Don't know yet. There's definitely going to be some things i wont like, but will they add up enough to where i won't want to play? Don't know either. I'm looking for that magical combination of fun gameplay mechanics and teamwork that makes up for a games failings that i found in pre-NGE SWG.

If it ends up sucking... I'll move on again. There's plenty other MMOs coming, The Secret World, The Agency, Stargate, Biowares next one, THQ's Warhammer 40k, if the rumours are true StarCraft. I'm sure there's that many more that i've forgotten at the moment. They'll all have a chance to woo me with their gameplay and content.

In the mean time i make do pecking at the parts of the ones out now. PvP in WoW (btw had fun in Undercity with all the GWJ folks), Crafting and flying spaceships in SWG, Incrementing my stats in EVE, Sailing the seas in PotBS.

ranalin - what are the elements that you like that are being combined in AoC? Feel free to elaborate at length, I'm interested.

Btw misread your post as saying you've been engaging in "MMO hoping", which is an ironic reading of what you're saying. It seems like people sort of dream up their own idea of what an MMO will be like years ahead of time, and pin way too many hopes on it.

Would be a good idea. I plan to have Logan sit in for me when I am on my honeymoon.

- Legion, taking "keeping it in the family" to a whole new level.

Xbox Live: Fedaykin98

Fedaykin98 wrote:

ranalin - what are the elements that you like that are being combined in AoC? Feel free to elaborate at length, I'm interested.

Btw misread your post as saying you've been engaging in "MMO hoping", which is an ironic reading of what you're saying. It seems like people sort of dream up their own idea of what an MMO will be like years ahead of time, and pin way too many hopes on it.

Heh i do a lot of hoping too

I understand that a perfect MMO for me is years away, but i'd say within the next 5-10 years we'll definitely be there. As for what i'm looking for? The list is huge and parts are similar to what Brad McQuaid used to want for Vanguard, but got left out.

As for AoC. The fact that it has a section where anything goes. When you step into the borderlands you have to be prepared to fight not only MOBs, but other players as well.

I like that we'll have guild cities and the potential to create a keep that needs to be defended.

The combat that requires you to always pay attention to whats going on and keep in range of your targets.

The way that they're having seperate PvP/PvE levels.

Mounted combat.

I find the risk of death when spellweaving is fantastic. Spellweaving is the combo system for spell casters and you're able to do a bigger, better, or combined version of spells and if you mess up or don't have enough oomph in your casting you can die.

That sneaking is directly effected by the light sources around you and your position to what your sneaking by.

That's all i can think of at the moment. I know that some things i was even more excited about are being taken out. Like when you created a player city there was supposed to be a NPC city created at the same time that would occasionally attack yours. They've just announced how this is getting taken out. This used to be one of my biggest hopes for the game and the viability of it's end game. In WoW i find the rep grind to be able to see end game content extremely tedious and the main reason why i stopped. If AoC has a similar system i'd see myself bowing out after awhile, but with them having the NPC city around i could totally get into defending our city. It would definitely alleviate the boredom from not being able to raid.

Game delays don't bother me anymore. Buggy releases do. The one thing that worries me is that Funcom will water down the sex and violence to appeal to a wider audience. There are enough milktoast mmorpgs out there, I hope they'll stay true to the original vision.

Can someone tell me if a person's pvp level will be visible upon inspection? I assume it will be, but it'd be cool if it wasn't obvious.

(combined 2 different posts from the forums)

Since we've just gotten our ratings, and since it's the topic of endless speculation, I can now give you the full and complete story on what you will and won't see in each "version" of the game.

Please note this isn't a design decision or something we can reverse. It's a legal (or as good as legal) requirement to sell the game in that particular territory.

With that said:

The German version is rated 18+ by USK. The German version has full gore, but will not have decapitation, dismemberment, and over-the-top type fatalities.

The "elsewhere in Europe" version is rated 18+ by PEGI and is unchanged.

It has come to our attention that the North American edition of the game was submitted (by Eidos) to the ESRB without any server-side censorship:

-full blood

-full fatalities

-breasts with nipples

-not full nudity

The ESRB reviewed our application and gave us a rating of Mature 17+. The full rating with descriptors has not yet been publicly announced but will be posted on the ESRB web site on 13 February 2008.

That's what I know and what I can tell you.
__________________
Shannon 'Pharamond' Drake
Community Manager – Funcom

I'm really curious about this game but I still don't do monthly subscriptions. If they offer a lifetime subscription I might look into it (and hopefully they don't do it stupid like Hellgate by requiring a pre-order).

LobsterMobster wrote:

If they offer a lifetime subscription I might look into it

People from the forums are now asking for an official word on this.

Anyone else notice that Lobster's first interest in AoC came immediately after the post mentioning "breasts with nipples"?

I know Lobster has said in the past that he doesn't mind the jubblies...

Would be a good idea. I plan to have Logan sit in for me when I am on my honeymoon.

- Legion, taking "keeping it in the family" to a whole new level.

Xbox Live: Fedaykin98

LobsterMobster wrote:

I'm really curious about this game but I still don't do monthly subscriptions. If they offer a lifetime subscription I might look into it (and hopefully they don't do it stupid like Hellgate by requiring a pre-order).

QFMFT.

I don't mind the monthly subscriptions. Running servers for a big game like that is a constant monthly drain, and $10 or $15/mo is pretty darn reasonable when you consider the amount of time most folks spend in most MMOs.

Guild Wars, I think, designed their game to be relatively light on the servers, so they don't have to spend as much every month to support the game... WoW requires a lot of infrastructure, and lots of expensive people to maintain it.

As you've probably seen from my other posts, I very much dislike arrangements that are for the company's benefit more than mine. But I don't mind paying for services rendered, and I think running the servers as an ongoing thing is a service worth paying for.

Think about it in terms of other online games that allow user servers... generally it's $25+ a month to run a server on a shared machine, and as much as $150/mo for a dedicated box on good bandwidth. $15/mo looks like a pretty good deal in comparison.

The fact that we can leech off kindhearted people like Jakeleg doesn't mean the service is worthless, just that we're leeches.

Malor wrote:

The fact that we can leech off kindhearted people like Jakeleg doesn't mean the service is worthless, just that we're leeches.

He should put that in his sig, lol.

But it's true, neither bandwidth or servers cost $0, so why should using them be free? If I demand an always-on game world I can be part of I have absolutely no problem helping foot the bill. If the games not worth the price they charge? Well, like any other, I'll find another.

Oh sure, I don't disagree that a monthly fee is often justified. I just don't want to purchase a game that requires a monthly fee.

I got my gamestop weekend newsletter in my inbox.

They have some offers for pre-ordering Age of Conan, but it MUST include a typo. Some of the free items for preordering include:

*Exclusive ingame mountable character
*Mammoth travellers bag

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...

They must've somehow swapped the words character and mammoth. Either way, maybe more games should list mountable characters on their feature list.. i dunno.

For a moment there I thought the game was delayed again!

Irongut wrote:

I got my gamestop weekend newsletter in my inbox.

They have some offers for pre-ordering Age of Conan, but it MUST include a typo. Some of the free items for preordering include:

*Exclusive ingame mountable character
*Mammoth travellers bag

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...

They must've somehow swapped the words character and mammoth. Either way, maybe more games should list mountable characters on their feature list.. i dunno.

Well you know it is a MATURE mmo...

KillTrash wrote:

For a moment there I thought the game was delayed again!

Me too.

I was on almost a total blackout until I decided to look AoC up again on Saturday and see how it was progressing. I'm too lazy to link this now but the magical search of the day is...

Youtube: "Age of Conan Mounts"

Damn.