If you were a Zimbabwean Millionaire...

Link

In 2008 alone, the Zimbabwe Dollar has suffered 100,580% inflation. Most of this was in the second half of February alone. Here's what the last few audits:

August 1st, 2006: 250,000 ZWD per 1 USD; ZWD is revalued to 250 per 1.
January 1st, 2007: 3,000 ZWD per 1 USD
January 3rd, 2008: 1,900,000 per 1
February 12th: 7,500,000 per 1
February 20th: 20,000,000 per 1

Imagine if you had $1,000 today, and one year later it's worth 15 cents.

So you're saying for a Benjamin I could own a whole city? Admittedly a crappy city in a crappy country...

Nosferatu wrote:

So you're saying for a Benjamin I could own a whole city? Admittedly a crappy city in a crappy country...

Yes, but that has more to do with the abject poverty of that crappy city and crappy country than the value of their own currency.

This belongs in the games sections, it's like a more expensive version of Cybernations....

This is the path Mugabe put his country on. Everyone saw it coming.

HEY....the dollar beats someone's currency! Hell yeah!!!

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/142454.html

For Zimbabweans living in the turmoil of economic meltdown, hyperinflation is spreading poverty, as even basic goods become unaffordable. Supermarkets' trollies lie idle as few can afford to buy more than a handful of goods. Government regulations will only permit withdrawals from banks of Z$1.5m per day, which is not enough to buy a week's worth of groceries.

At golf courses, golfers pay for their drinks before they set off on their round, because the price will have gone up by the time they have finished the 18th hole. One individual was recently told by a pension company that it would no longer send him statements as his fund was worth less than the price of a stamp.

Update:

You thought that was bad? On March first the exchange rate jumped to 24,000,000 per USD. Yesterday, it hit 70,000,000.

This reminds me of the Howard Stern show game where contestants played "Who Wants to Be A Turkish Millionaire." You could win a million in Turkish currency, which worked out to something like $50 bucks.

It turns out that the Zimbabwian government has so badly mismanaged the country that its neighbors are actually profitting from it. Nigeria is now offering 99 year leases to white farmers so long as they bring their technical expertise and facillitate technology transfer to black farmers there. Zimbabwe used to be a mini breadbasket of Africa. Now it is a basket case.

Aw, I was glancing through the upcoming threads and totally read this as "If you were a Zombie Millionaire" when my eyes passed over it... I'm slightly disappointed.

nsmike wrote:

Aw, I was glancing through the upcoming threads and totally read this as "If you were a Zombie Millionaire" when my eyes passed over it... I'm slightly disappointed.

I'll try harder next time.

On May 29, 2006, Reserve Bank officials told IRIN that plans to print about Zim$60 trillion (about US$592.9 million at official rates) were briefly delayed after the government failed to secure foreign currency to buy ink and special paper for printing money.

That's right. They couldn't print more money because they couldn't afford the PAPER AND INK.

On 28 July 2007, it was reported that Mugabe has said that Zimbabwe will go on printing money if there isn't enough for underfunded municipal projects.
On 01 March 2008, it was reported that documents obtained by The Sunday Times show the Munich company Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) was receiving more than €500,000 (£382,000) a week for delivering bank notes at the astonishing rate of Z$170 trillion a week.

“The regime is surviving by printing money,” said Martin Rupiya, professor of war and security studies at the University of Zimbabwe. “At this stage there is no other way.”

According to a source at the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe, G&D was delivering 432,000 sheets of banknotes every week to Fidelity printers in Harare, where they were stamped with the denomination. Each sheet contains 40 notes and the current production is entirely in Z$10m notes.

The value of one US dollar shot up from Z$40
million to Z$70 million within a day in the parallel market.

Either President Mugabe doesn't understand how money works or he's willing to destroy his country in order to stay in power as long as possible.

Hmm. This monetary policy sounds eerily familiar.

So how much would it cost to buy the whole country? I've got a few spare bucks in my wallet.

Honestly, after the devastation that has been wrought in that country, I'm amazed someone hasn't shot Mugabe. The man's insane.

Malor wrote:

Honestly, after the devastation that has been wrought in that country, I'm amazed someone hasn't shot Mugabe. The man's insane.

He's pretty well protected and still has a base among the people he's helped out.

Alien13z wrote:
Malor wrote:

Honestly, after the devastation that has been wrought in that country, I'm amazed someone hasn't shot Mugabe. The man's insane.

He's pretty well protected and still has a base among the people he's helped out.

It's kind of like a crime syndicate. He's the godfather.

I was recently contacted by one of these Zimbabwean millionaires. It seems his money is tied up in a Nigerian bank and I decided to help him out.

hubbinsd wrote:

I was recently contacted by one of these Zimbabwean millionaires. It seems his money is tied up in a Nigerian bank and I decided to help him out.

That dick. He said I was the only person he was talking to.

LobsterMobster wrote:

he's willing to destroy his country in order to stay in power as long as possible.

I'm gonna put my money on that one.

The really sad part is that when it is all over, he'll probably get to live in cushy asylum, instead of the beatings he deserves.

Well there's probably a lot of Zimbabwean millionaires, might not be the same guy. He seems legit.

LilCodger wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

he's willing to destroy his country in order to stay in power as long as possible.

I'm gonna put my money on that one.

The really sad part is that when it is all over, he'll probably get to live in cushy asylum, instead of the beatings he deserves.

I dunno, I think he's going to get a bullet in the back of his head one of these days.

LobsterMobster wrote:
LilCodger wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

he's willing to destroy his country in order to stay in power as long as possible.

I'm gonna put my money on that one.

The really sad part is that when it is all over, he'll probably get to live in cushy asylum, instead of the beatings he deserves.

I dunno, I think he's going to get a bullet in the back of his head one of these days.

It's a bet then. Shall we say $70 million?

Well, he just said today, apparently, that the opposition will never take power while he lives.

Makes me wonder if he's not intent on making sure this particular prophecy comes true.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...

IMAGE(http://blogs.usatoday.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/27/q1x00184_9.jpg)

One of my good friends is from Zimbabwe. He can't stand Mugabe.

Those poor souls. Someone needs to buy that country a proper "G."

They spelled billionaire right, which is something most Americans probably can't do.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

They spelled billionaire right, which is something most Americans probably can't do.

Well, Rhodesia was a proper British colony after all.

Election for new president are occurring today. The BBC and Irish Times are already reporting voting irregularities. The opposition party ZANU-PF promised violence if there is vote tampering. This could be Kenya all over again.

I doubt it. There will vote tampering of course, and as far as I know the opposition has promised violence for years now. Mugabe stays. They are voting just for the sake of doing it (look, Im the dictator who got 101% of the votes!), and everyone expect the results will be faked, which at least wasn't the case in Kenya.