Burnout Paradise Catch-All

Pages

It's a week and a half away, people! The latest EGM is out and gave it a glowing review, emphasizing that the title's high point is its blurring of the line between the single and multi player components.

The 1UP podcast did mention that the PS3 version performs better but no mention of that made it into the review. Comparing the PS3 demo to the 360 demo myself I really didn't notice any difference.

Personally, I like the 360 version mostly because that means I can use the better controller and don't have to buy a bluetooth headset but since multi player is so important I'll follow the crowd on this one.

Yeah, given the multiplayer focus I'll be sticking with the 360. That's where my vision camera is, too

...and so goes my thread into Oblivion!

Personally, I thought PS3 Demo was slightly better... a bit sharper and smother. With that said, I'm going with Xbox 360 version because:

1. I like Xbox 360 controller.
2. Custom soundtrack support.
3. Even though I have few GWJ'ers on the PS3 friend list... no one is online 95% of the time! ...and the other 5% is [email protected]. Plus there is GWJ Racing Clan... sort of.

I can't wait. I'll definitely be getting it for the 360.

Nei wrote:

:( ...and so goes my thread into Oblivion!

Personally, I thought PS3 Demo was slightly better... a bit sharper and smother. With that said, I'm going with Xbox 360 version because:

1. I like Xbox 360 controller.
2. Custom soundtrack support.
3. Even though I have few GWJ'ers on the PS3 friend list... no one is online 95% of the time! ...and the other 5% is [email protected]. Plus there is GWJ Racing Clan... sort of.

Yup, same here. I actually ordered copies for both me and Luna yesterday, as a matter of fact.

I'm all over this on the 360 as well. Unfortunately, I leave for vacation the day this comes out, but I'll be online starting in February.

I can't stop playing the demo. I'll be hard pressed to keep from buying this on 360 next week, even with the SDTV-snubbing interface elements.

The ability of this game to captivate casual or non-gamers continues to amaze me. We had company over for dinner this weekend and burned at least two hours playing the demo, passing the controller around and laughing maniacally. I think the accessibility stems from two things. Firstly, anyone who's been behind the wheel has felt the urge to drive like a lunatic. This game satisfies that urge like no other game to date. Second, you can't "play the game wrong", in so much as losing control and crashing at high speed is central to the game itself.

January 22nd can't come fast enough.

BadgerSundae wrote:

Firstly, anyone who's been behind the wheel has felt the urge to drive like a lunatic. This game satisfies that urge like no other game to date.

What about Carmageddon?

I'm definitely looking forward to BP. I've been playing the demo a bit lately, and even my wife (who truly doesn't "get" video games) has enjoyed turning that charger/mustang/gto amalgamation into scrap.

I'll wait quietly until it comes out on the 22nd, but it's looking great.

Nei wrote:
BadgerSundae wrote:

Firstly, anyone who's been behind the wheel has felt the urge to drive like a lunatic. This game satisfies that urge like no other game to date.

What about Carmageddon?

Point taken. Carmageddon's fantastic.

I was speaking more of the urge to simply drive recklessly though, as opposed to wholesale vehicular manslaughter. My sister, my wife and many others who've been attracted to this game have specifically cited the lack of pedestrians and associated bloodshed as a plus.

Hmmm... I want this badly. However I just purchased a PS2, a couple games and a wireless controller. Hopefully y'all don't jump all over this. If you do I might have to sell Ass' Creed to buy this game.

Just tried out Ikusa GT (Nissan Skyline look alike), which is a 2nd car that is available in Japanese Demo. It's fast... not the fastest car in the game but still fast... actually going full speed with the boost on, the frame-rate kind of stuttered a bit. Eh, nothing game braking.

-imo, Japanese DJ is not as irritating for some reason.

My 360 was sent out for repair last week (RRoD). When I get it back this is the first game I will be purchasing.

Nei wrote:

-imo, Japanese DJ is not as irritating for some reason.

It would be interesting to hear some of that. Any links to samples online?

Is the Japanese DJ as annoying to those that speak the language? Is he less annoying to the English speaking because we can't understand what's being said and the voice simply becomes part of the din?

I've pre-ordered too. I loved how I kept discovering new places to drive in the demo (like through the train yards). The car's engine sounded awesome as well. The driving reminded me of GTA (especially those fast 180's you can pull).

Speaking of DJ-types, the original Ridge Racer announcer spoke English, but had to be Japanese, and TOTALLY and COMPLETELY bizarre.. "Wow! That was a great counter! You must be one genius of a driver... you've gotta teach... MEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!" (you have to hear the audio for this one, it's FM DJ puke to the Nth degree).

Nyxs Optare wrote:

Is the Japanese DJ as annoying to those that speak the language? Is he less annoying to the English speaking because we can't understand what's being said and the voice simply becomes part of the din?

Quite possible. I'll admit a guilty pleasure of mine is J-pop, entirely for that reason.

Nyxs Optare wrote:

Is the Japanese DJ as annoying to those that speak the language? Is he less annoying to the English speaking because we can't understand what's being said and the voice simply becomes part of the din?

I would say, it would be pretty hard not to understand him since half the time he spoke English... especially when he was talking about event types, locations, etc...

Who all is getting this? I was considering it if there was significant Goodjer interest, but this thread isn't exactly ablaze.

Team Awesome will be there, you can count on that.

I will have to see some good reviews for this game before I buy... The demo was annoying me on more levels than one.

I'll be getting it release day provided the pimply guy at GameStop can find it among his boxes.

nsmike wrote:

I will have to see some good reviews for this game before I buy... The demo was annoying me on more levels than one.

OXM and EGM, both gave the game a 9.0/10. GameInformer gave it 8.5.

I aim to pick this one up, assuming it doesn't make my 360 freeze the way the demo does. For what I can play, I love the demo.

zeroKFE wrote:

Team Awesome will be there, you can count on that.

Heart!

I'm totally in - on the 360 to be specific.

I'm in too. I had thought SSBBrawl would be my first purchase for 2008, but it looks like I'm not even going to make it out of January before buying another game.

lunabean wrote:
zeroKFE wrote:

Team Awesome will be there, you can count on that.

Heart!

Earth!

I really need to get the demo ASAP. I LOVED Burnout 3, but Revenge didn't really grab me. Anyone else feel that way, and if so, how's this demo stack up?

Would be a good idea. I plan to have Logan sit in for me when I am on my honeymoon.

- Legion, taking "keeping it in the family" to a whole new level.

Xbox Live: Fedaykin98

Weend!

Who all is getting this? I was considering it if there was significant Goodjer interest, but this thread isn't exactly ablaze.

Well, the game's not out yet, and it's a lot more fun to play the demo than to talk about it. The fun is too visceral to capture in words.

Really, the only thing worth writing about to me is how much I'm loving the seamless transition from single to multiplayer, cooperative to adversarial, and the dogfighting deathmatch that the game defaults to in between. I hope other developers take note, both borrowing ideas from this game and recognizing the value in trying something besides the tried and true.

I expect to see multiple googjers hosting a 'friends only' session regularly in the near future. An unorganized Paradise City lobby strikes me as the ideal way to play the game.

Pages