AGP ATI Cards - DO NOT INSTALL CCC 7.8 or 7.9
Well I just had a monster headache trying to figure out why the newest ATI Catalyst Drivers 7.9 didn't work for me. Kept giving me a black screen upon Windows XP load. I would also get an error while installing the driver, "Zero Display Service Error". The work around for this error is ridiculous and I'm severely pissed off at ATI now.
737- 29381: Radeon™ AGP Series : AGP Read/Write and PCI Read/Write are disabled
The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
* Catalyst Control Center
* Catalyst Display Driver 7.8
* ATI Radeon™ AGP Series Graphics Cards
* Windows XP Professional
* Windows XP Home Edition
* Windows XP Media Center Edition
* Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Install the Catalyst 7.8 Software Suite. Open Catalyst Control Center. Click on SmartGart. AGP Read and Write and PCI Read and Write will be turned off. They cannot be enabled.
To workaround this issue please uninstall Catalyst 7.8 and install Catalyst 7.7
ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.
Well guess what. That issue has NOT been resolved. 7.8 and 7.9 completely break everything if you have an AGP Radeon card, which I do. I have an AGP x1950 PRO. Do NOT install anything past 7.7 if you run AGP ATI card or feel the wrath of the broken driver.
So even when I tried to uninstall 7.9 and install 7.7 it would give me that zero display error again and again. To fix it I had to do the following.
1. Install 7.7 full catalyst like you normally would but DO NOT restart. You want it to extract and unpack all the install files into it's ATI directory.
2. Have Driver Cleaner Pro handy. So download this before hand.
3. Run the ATI Unintall utility
4. Rename the C:\ATI folder to something other than that. (I renamed mine ATI_bk)
5. Run the Driver Cleaner Pro and remove everything ATI. This is just a safe measure and might be overkill.
6. Restart into default video mode which XP should find your VGA controllers as new hardware.
7. It will bring up the wizard. Click no you don't want it to auto update and then you want it to look for it in the specific folder within the ATI folder. It's CX_49709.inf or you could just cancel out of it and update the video controllers manually from Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Devices -> Video Controller -> Driver -> Update
Mine happen to be here:
It will then load the drivers as normal. Do it again for secondary video controller until all done.
If you wish to install WDM and Catalyst for some reason you will have to browse into their directories in that ATI folder path and run setup.exe for both separately.
Finally it's fixed after 2 hours of screwing with it.
ATI piece of shyt drivers. Grrrr.
Edit Add: Obviously if you just install 7.7 in the first place it shouldn't give you any errors. Just don't go past 7.7 for now until they say for certain they fixed it or do so at your own risk. I'm going to do some more investigation on this to see if there is more to it than me just having an AGP card. Maybe it's a known conflict with other applications or drivers.