Obama placed under Secret Service protection

I saw this coming months ago....He put his life on the line as soon as he declared his bid...America as a whole is not mature enough yet for anything other than a traditional white male president...

LINK

I dissagree with you on this.

With what our country has been through over the last 8 years under the Bush Admin, i think a majority of the population is looking for a big change, and a new direction. I for one am one of them, and a white boy to boot. Obama is a very intelligent man i could see myself voting for.

The last Pres election broke records in terms of under 30 years old participation in the vote. The younger crowd is mature enough to vote without race being an issue. The ones to worry about are the old codgers who still think the south should have won the war.

And besides, if Hillary Clinton can be considered a top canidate for the Pres by the people of this country being a female, then i bet a black man can also have the same chances regardless of his color.

I think the country is mature enough to vote for a black Pres, moreso than .voting a woman into the oval office.

So many digs I can make on Hillary here. I will just say that I question whether she is indeed a female human.

I am more on Strad's side on this, but I'll admit that there are probably people (in "scary ghost costumes") that are not ready for a black president. I think this was a good decision.

I don't have a problem with a women or black man in the Oval Office, I'm just not sure about this woman and this black man.

I saw this coming months ago....He put his life on the line as soon as he declared his bid...America as a whole is not mature enough yet for anything other than a white president...

America is out out to get Obama because he's a black candidate? I think you're overblowing it here and pushing things to the boundary of stereotypes.

If we push it all the way to the other end, maybe he wants the Secret Service protection simply because he wanna roll in big black SUVs with a tight crew who be packin heat at all times cuz he just dope fly like that and gots to represent?

I sympathize to Obama, honestly, and in all the likelihood I'll be voting for him in 2008, because he has my respect as man who refuses to play the minority martirdom trump card. I hope his own constitutiency does not end up shoving this card is into his hand.

We've had exactly one Catholic president of the United States and some Southern white guy put a bullet in him. If Obama is leading in July, I put his odds of surviving the race at 10000-1.

Gorilla.800.lbs wrote:

America is out out to get Obama because he's a black candidate? I think you're overblowing it here and pushing things to the boundary of stereotypes.

First let me say that I supported Obama before he even declared. I think you might be misunderstanding, I said "America as a whole is not mature enough..." I'm not speaking about a country of united individuals...What I said includes THIS too ya know; it only takes one motivated individual and one perfectly placed bullet to end another dream...

*EDITED
Personally I have been spit on, degraded and physically threatened within the last 10 years, and I'm a nobody. But those are obvious signs of racism... Hmm come to think about it, so is sitting on a roof as an American citizen for nearly a week without food, water or rescue in New Orleans; or if that's not recent enough or maybe even "too black " for you, how about Hispanics getting beat down by cops while having a peaceful immigration rally in L.A. just this week... As I said "America as a whole is not mature enough for anything other than a white president"...This isn't even a discussion about black and white or fair and unfair; this is nothing more than the way it is period...Pockets of rascim still live and even flurish in this country and a public figure like Obama is a target...

Oh, and do yourself a favor, next time please drop all the lame "hood boy" talk, it really isn't becoming of you at all"…

Paleocon wrote:
We've had exactly one Catholic president of the United States and some Southern white guy put a bullet in him.

And then someone put a bullet in his brother.

However, times have changed and the need for change is great. And yet, I also know/worry that if a lover of teen prostitute Jody Foster can put a bullet in Reagan, anything is possible.

I don't mind catholics. It's those dirty New Englanders I can't stand.

By the way, perhaps Obama's recent comments have some part in this need for SS guards. Just a possibility that popped into my head.

This looks like a job for...Jack Bauer!

Rat Boy, you read my mind. Could be the Secret Service responding to threats directed at Obama and an ex-Delta Force operative due to a failed operation to kill one of Milosevic's ex-underlings. But probably not.

Regardless, I hope this protection came about for more proactive than reactive reasons.

Paleocon wrote:
We've had exactly one Catholic president of the United States and some Southern white guy put a bullet in him. If Obama is leading in July, I put his odds of surviving the race at 10000-1.

There is an easy way to solve this problem. Make Dan Quayle your Vice President.

Even a person with ten voices in their head would think twice before pulling the trigger.

edit:Never mind. I forgot that the current president makes Quayle seem like Stephen Hawking.

Paleocon wrote:
We've had exactly one Catholic president of the United States and some Southern white guy put a bullet in him.

It wasn't because he was Catholic, so the fact that he got wacked doesn't have anything to do with his religion.

@Chronic

You may be right as far as America as a WHOLE not being ready. But remember this... America as a WHOLE dont even friggin vote. The dumbass racist individuals that cause harm, mean harm, and just generally hate everyone dont vote! A little over 35 % of this country voted for a president 7 years ago. The majority and i STRESS majority of people who vote are doing so because they love this country, or want new leadership, or are looking for a change. The educated people are the majority of the voters, and because of this Obama has a great chance to become the first black Pres in US history. You wont see the racist trailer trash individuals waiting in a booth line just to vote for a white person because they would rather die than let in a black man, mostly because their to lazy to do anything at all, and by not voting and taking a chance of Obama getting in gives them the golden opportunity to stay in that same rut of blaming america and society for their problems when really they can only blame themselves.

Your second round of comments to Gorilla need to be re read by you. You pulling the race card to give examples of why you think America is not ready is exactly why the majority of America is not ready. I think i speak for all races in this country, because i have heard it all in the military, people in general are sick of seeing that card played by any race here in America. Just let it go man, you dont have to be a minority in this county to feel the effects of racism, trust me i know first hand. I went to a 90 percent black high school not by choice but i did anyway to make things easier on my parents. You say you have been spit on, ok i have had a gun pointed in my face walking home from school for the 3 dollars i had in my pocket. Racism is felt by everyone, and it effects us all, but until we all let go of the past and realize were all the same, and stop bringing up the race card, things wont change man.

So i end by saying this.... Obama for Pres!

strader69 wrote:
So i end by saying this.... Obama for Pres!

Word up. He's got my vote.

strader69 wrote:
@Chronic

You may be right as far as America as a WHOLE not being ready. But remember this... America as a WHOLE dont even friggin vote. The dumbass racist individuals that cause harm, mean harm, and just generally hate everyone dont vote! A little over 35 % of this country voted for a president 7 years ago. The majority and i STRESS majority of people who vote are doing so because they love this country, or want new leadership, or are looking for a change. The educated people are the majority of the voters, and because of this Obama has a great chance to become the first black Pres in US history. You wont see the racist trailer trash individuals waiting in a booth line just to vote for a white person because they would rather die than let in a black man, mostly because their to lazy to do anything at all, and by not voting and taking a chance of Obama getting in gives them the golden opportunity to stay in that same rut of blaming america and society for their problems when really they can only blame themselves.


However true; but trailer trash have guns and probably better aim than the average American voter....

strader69 wrote:

Your second round of comments to Gorilla need to be re read by you. You pulling the race card to give examples of why you think America is not ready is exactly why the majority of America is not ready. I think i speak for all races in this country, because i have heard it all in the military, people in general are sick of seeing that card played by any race here in America. Just let it go man, you dont have to be a minority in this county to feel the effects of racism, trust me i know first hand. I went to a 90 percent black high school not by choice but i did anyway to make things easier on my parents. You say you have been spit on, ok i have had a gun pointed in my face walking home from school for the 3 dollars i had in my pocket. Racism is felt by everyone, and it effects us all, but until we all let go of the past and realize were all the same, and stop bringing up the race card, things wont change man.

Okay, I apologize if it came across a bit harsh, I edited them a bit for better clarification"…

I too personally hate the race/pity card and in no way had my fist up (it's pretty rare; but trust me, you will know if it happens -FYI I was once robbed gun point too...It sucks, but it happens)...Anyway, facts are facts man"…Yeah "things won't change""…Thank you, that's my point! The entire population of America is not ready for change yet"…And of course voting doesn't mean sh*t to the most likely small group of radical triggerman candidates "…

I went to a 99.98% white high school in a small Midwestern town of under 10,000 people, then even spent a couple of years in Wyoming before I enlisted so unfortunately I know a bit too much about rural America, I didn't always live in the city"…In fact check this out, my best friend growing up was S. Korean, he never got out of town and still lives there"…Why would you care you ask? Because he is the only S. Korean in the world with a mullet that's why! - Now that's country...I don't make it back there much...

And that my friend is what this is about, the center of the country, the rural areas that are not as cultured as you and I"…The center of the country, the west, and the southern regions all have a mass population of which, some people still hold on to old ways"…I'm not worried, I don't live in fear; then again I'm not a president or presidential candidate with (as it has already been mentioned - JFK & RFK) any "firsts""…

ChronicNecrosis wrote:

However true; but trailer trash have guns and probably better aim than the average American voter....

QFMFT

I am completely convinced, in light of what I've seen the last six years, that a pack of monkeys playing Yahtzee could govern the country just as well as the current administration. On a personal aside, I hope they're all indicted when this horror show ends.

This country is SCREAMING for leadership. Hell BEGGING for it yet neither party hears it because frankly, they just don't give a sh*t.

DAVID PALMER FOR PRESIDENT.

Bear wrote:
I am completely convinced, in light of what I've seen the last six years, that a pack of monkeys playing Yahtzee could govern the country just as well as the current administration. On a personal aside, I hope they're all indicted when this horror show ends.

This country is SCREAMING for leadership. Hell BEGGING for it yet neither party hears it because frankly, they just don't give a sh*t.

I'll take the case!

Wordsmythe for prez in 2020!

Bear wrote:
I am completely convinced, in light of what I've seen the last six years, that a pack of monkeys playing Yahtzee could govern the country just as well as the current administration....

...And if you recall it was the center of the country (the "red states") that voted twice for this administration. It was those key states whose votes overpowered the metro regions of the north/northeast/mid Atlantic & Pacific coast...I've got a hunch that not only do they have guns, but that they also play Yahtzee; becareful what you wish for...

Bear wrote:

This country is SCREAMING for leadership. Hell BEGGING for it yet neither party hears it because frankly, they just don't give a sh*t.

Agreed! - It's more about big business, globalization, faking a warm smile into the camera and lying with a straight face than true leadership...Honestly I think we'll be pretty lucky if our next administration even smiles while f*cking us for private interests (hey, at least GW does that)...Neither side is perfect, and although not broken yet, the political system (specifically the executive branch and what is done by most to get there) needs to be reworked a bit...

Wow. They usually wait for the Candidates to win the nomination from their party before they sic the secret service on them. This is rather early.

Mayfield wrote:
Wow. They usually wait for the Candidates to win the nomination from their party before they sic the secret service on them. This is rather early.

The election is how many months away.........when can anyone remember the election buzz happening this early!!

Honestly I HOPE this country will not just vote with their gut and understand whom these people really are and what they plan to do about the little problem we have been having in the Middle East. Burying our head in the sand and HOPING we don't end up living like Israel in a few years with bombings and nightly rocket attacks is not the way to go.

That won't happen here unless the government becomes so authoritarian that the people get truly pissed. Terrorism requires the cooperation of the population, and terrorists won't get it in this country unless and until the government becomes so terrible that the people feel the need to overthrow it violently.

We might get the occasional bombing, but there's no way that foreign terrorists could ever do significant damage to the country. (even the WTC wasn't really that significant, in a large sense.) We lose over a hundred people a day to traffic accidents, so the largest terrorist act on American soil in history was roughly equivalent to 30 days of traffic fatalities.

Only homegrown terrorists could be a significant danger, and the Middle East will have nothing to do with those.

Edit to add: As I've said so many times, you fight terrorists with police, not armies. We have no shortage of police in this country.

I agree that the prospects for foreign terrorists here are pretty poor. This is largely because the economic opportunity for foreigners in this country makes the recently arrived far more likely to participate constructively in American society than they tend to in more stagnant countries like those in Europe. The French treatment of muslims is about as bad as our historical treatment of blacks in the 1950's. It shouldn't surprise anyone that that population is less than entirely cooperative with French authorities.

It is also true that the big terrorist threat in the US is domestic. There are large parts of the rural South that have absolutely no problem with harboring terrorists as long as they aren't foreign. It is impossible to believe that, for instance, Eric Rudolph could have successfully evaded authorities for so long without the help of collaborators.

Edit to Malor's edit: I think we should give the invasion strategy a fair chance to succeed. We should burn down the South again to see if it puts a stop to the Army of God.

Obama at a Virginia fundraiser on May 8 wrote:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D), ILLINOIS: This week will there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died. An entire town destroyed.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

Hopefully the secret service offers protection against the forces of nature as well.


I am completely convinced, in light of what I've seen the last six years, that a pack of monkeys playing Yahtzee could govern the country just as well as the current administration.

They'd certainly be beaten by the monkeys at Yahtzee...

LOL Paleocon.... those pesky Southerners rebuilt Atlanta. We should just burn it again! *eyeroll*

You do have a point that if any insurrection starts, it'll probably be in the South... but it will have NOTHING to do with the Middle East. Any real terrorism we have here will be home-grown.

Claiming that leaving Iraq means the jihadis will be kicking in our doors the week following is outright deceptive, IMO.

Malor wrote:
LOL Paleocon.... those pesky Southerners rebuilt Atlanta. We should just burn it again! *eyeroll*

You do have a point that if any insurrection starts, it'll probably be in the South... but it will have NOTHING to do with the Middle East. Any real terrorism we have here will be home-grown.

Claiming that leaving Iraq means the jihadis will be kicking in our doors the week following is outright deceptive, IMO.

Every time I go down to the South and see those idiotic bumper stickers with the stars and bars with the words "the South shall rise again", I just want the ghost of Sherman to put it to the torch again. Encouraging insurrection against the legitimate government of the US should not be romanticized. That sort of crap is as offensive to me as white separatists of black panthers demanding a separate homeland.

I dunno, Paleocon. As you've probably seen, I'm rabidly pro-liberty, and I think slavery was an abomination... but we paid a lot to get rid of it. The loss of states' rights and the ascendancy of the Big Federal Government was a high price.

Had I been around during the Civil War, I'd have fought for the North, but I'd have hated having to do it. I think the Southern mode of thought had a lot going for it, with the gigantic exception of slavery. From the Southern point of view, Virginia was more like, say, Germany, and less like, say, Alberta... a country, not a province. Overall, I rather like that view.

And we've romanticised revolt against authority since the dawn of the country; that's how we were born. I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with that. Power corrupts, and the current American government is puissant indeed. I think it was Jefferson who observed that the tree of liberty is watered by the blood of true patriots... something along that line. He was, of course, talking about armed insurrection against tyranny, not dying in some foreign country half a world away.

What offends me about those bumperstickers is that a lot of those guys would be perfectly happy to put black people back in chains, and that just makes me furious. But the mindset that just wants a small federal government and strong states... that has some appeal.


The loss of states' rights and the ascendancy of the Big Federal Government was a high price.

Oh, puh-leeze. The bureaucracy was created before the war, to help solve some serious problems, and "state's rights' was a cover term for the South's "Peculiar Institution". The big "right" that would have been decided during the war, secession, was never explicitly outlawed in the Constitution after the war; rather, the supposedly ambiguous phrasing was allowed to stand.

I do like the rhetorical twist whereby keeping the country intact was somehow regrettable because of the "high price" of changing some abstract ideas. I prefer to consider the price high because of the deaths of 618000 citizens, about 2.5% of the 1860 population.


But the mindset that just wants a small federal government and strong states... that has some appeal.

The steps taken in the South to control the states during the war were the same or harsher than those used in the North; that is, when it came down to it, the Confederate government was just as powerful as the Union one, and used it's powers in the same way - martial law, suspension of habeas corpus and the like. It also enacted a national draft a year before the Union did. A true state's rights oriented confederacy would have left all that to the states.