Top 5 Game Franchises that should not have been abandoned.
I have been carrying this list around in my head for some time now. These are all gaming franchises that have seemingly been abandoned by the establishment. These are NOT necessarily games that did poorly, in fact most of these games did very well. The games on my list were all released around the time when 3D acceleration was becoming more affordable and with my trusty Voodoo card they ushered in a new 3D gaming world for me. I would love to see them all reimagined for the current generation of gaming. Abandonment in my opinion is 5+ years with no releases. Please add your favorites...
1. Aliens Versus Predator (2001): First PC game I played with full 5.1 surround sound and playing as the Marine, still the scariest game ever produced and the only game that gave me nightmares.
2. Dungeon Keeper (1999): The best sandbox-style RTS game where slapping your minions and beheading the Heroes was encouraged. Horny the horned reaper was arguably the best example of double entendre humor that filled this game, whips and chains anyone?
3. Battlezone (1999): Still one of the most exciting RTS's ever produced. My first experience with a multiplayer RTS that was the perfect balance of action and strategy.
4. Carmageddon (1999): Based on the cult movie Death Race 2000, this game is still the best racing game ever in my opinion. This game and Descent were the first 2 games I played at a LAN party and were favorites for years. I still think this was the main influence for GTA and Burnout.
5. Descent (1999): The 6 degrees of movement blew my mind and I spent many hours being pwned by my friends before I wrapped my head around the game play. Laugh if you must, but before this game I played games using the arrow keys instead of WASD... this changed my whole world once I got the controls down.