Penny Arcade Game Episode 1 Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=49480

I didn't realize the game was 3D. Since it's based on a comic, 2D seemed the natural choice and that's what it appeared to be at the beginning of the trailer. Oh well.

Agreed. What was shown at the start of the trailer looked way the hell cooler than what followed.

C'mon guys, you have to give it to the Fruit f*cker cocking his machine gun. That was priceless.

I chuckled.

Hehe...fruit f*cker under glass...:D

Hemidal wrote:
C'mon guys, you have to give it to the Fruit f*cker machining his c*ck gun. That was priceless.

Rearranged for greater pricelessness.

Looks funny to me. Will it beat Sam & Max?

H.P. Lovesauce wrote:
Hemidal wrote:
C'mon guys, you have to give it to the Fruit f*cker machining his c*ck gun. That was priceless.

Rearranged for greater pricelessness.

unpriceable

zeroKFE wrote:
Agreed. What was shown at the start of the trailer looked way the hell cooler than what followed.

Triple agreed. Why didn't they just keep it totally 2-D? The 3D snippets I saw looked kinda lame.

Did anyone else get a real Sly Cooper vibe from that trailer?

I noticed they didn't speak at all in the trailer. Wonder what they will sound like...

Stylez wrote:
I noticed they didn't speak at all in the trailer. Wonder what they will sound like...

They had an interview during GDC where they confirmed that there is 0 voice work in the game, text only.

IMAGE(http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9315/tychovo5zb0.jpg)
IMAGE(http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2292/423314445b4cc559049obc3.jpg)

Looks genuinely awful.

Sinatar wrote:
Looks genuinely awful.

I'm imagining they're making those faces because of you.

I dig the art direction on the 2d stuff and even the 3d environments (reminds me of Voodoo Vince) but those models are awful!

Meh, I'd only get it if the released a retail version. I don't cotton to the whole download-only pyramid scheme, consarnit.

[/oldgrump]

Meh, it looks fine for the budget price it will almost certainly come out at.

Maybe it's just me, but when I think Penny Arcade Game, I don't think Gears of War. I think, as was mentioned above, Sam and Max.

I'm with the crowd on this one, the 3D's not so cool. Regardless, I bet it'll be funny. And I bet that'll be it's saving grace.

The 3D stuff looks fine to me, though I agree that the 2D stuff at the start made more sense.

I wonder if they'll post up some snarky cartoons lambasting their own game if it sucks?

I wouldn't put it past them, Sommer.

As far as the 3d, it's pretty early on in the dev cycle. I'll wait a bit more before judging too hard.

But I love the general look of it, and that Fruit Friend-under-glass in the beginning had me spitting Chai.

obligatory Caveat: I am an Enforcer for Penny Arcade and I work at PAX and Child's Play. No, they don't give a rat's bikini about my opinion on a damned thing.

Just saw the trailer. I'm in agreement with a lot of you all. It was looking great during the 2D parts but when it went 3D... Craptastic. The 3D models look horrible. :/

These guys might know a lot about games and are probably the strongest voice on the interwebs, but that doesn't mean they know how to make games.

Also, I'm glad they decided not to have any voice work. Have you ever heard those guys speak? They sound like stereotypical lisping nerds.

SommerMatt wrote:
I wonder if they'll post up some snarky cartoons lambasting their own game if it sucks?

Oh for sure. I bet we're all counting on it.

Asz wrote:
Did anyone else get a real Sly Cooper vibe from that trailer?

Yeah, the cartoony-noir-esque-cel-shady vibe.

Note: I first wrote noirish, but that looked too much like no Irish

Yeah, the 3d stuff looks like sh*t... huge letdown from the 2d, which looked awesome. That said, you play the game, not the graphics. The PA guys get extra leeway, I'll just wait and see what transpires.

And the two FF bits are awesome.

So we released the very first trailer for our game last week. Everyone seems to dig the 2D intro and I think most of us can agree that the 3D stuff still has a ways to go. Originally we were just going to drop the 2D flash trailer. It's a nice intro to the world. We see the "Startling Developments Detective Agency" and we get a feel for how Gabe and Tycho fit into the story. Tycho the learned world traveler reading at his desk with his Tommy gun resting in his lap. Gabe"… punching something. We were worried though that people might think this was going to be a 2D game if that's all they saw. So we decided at the last minute to attach some of the 3D work we've got. It's extremely early and it's missing some effects like cell shading and a few others.In retrospect we probably should have held of showing it but we were excited and we jumped the gun a bit. We still have a lot of work to do in order to really define the look of the game. If nothing else, the clockwork fruit f*cker at the end seems to have struck the right note with most of you so I'm glad we included him in the trailer.

Seems to echo much of what's been said in this thread.

I guess everyone expected this.

IMAGE(http://shamusyoung.mu.nu/images/pa_game_tycho.jpg)
IMAGE(http://shamusyoung.mu.nu/images/pa_game_gabe.jpg)

Edwin wrote:
I guess everyone expected this.

some Lucasarts-y adventure screenshots

I do not believe I have ever, EVER, laughed that hard.

Edwin, you make that game and I will buy it.

Then P-A wil sue us maybe. That means we'll get to meet them, though! I will cross words with Tycho and bring him to genuflection!

McChuck wrote:
So we released the very first trailer for our game last week. Everyone seems to dig the 2D intro and I think most of us can agree that the 3D stuff still has a ways to go. Originally we were just going to drop the 2D flash trailer. It's a nice intro to the world. We see the "Startling Developments Detective Agency" and we get a feel for how Gabe and Tycho fit into the story. Tycho the learned world traveler reading at his desk with his Tommy gun resting in his lap. Gabe"… punching something. We were worried though that people might think this was going to be a 2D game if that's all they saw. So we decided at the last minute to attach some of the 3D work we've got. It's extremely early and it's missing some effects like cell shading and a few others.In retrospect we probably should have held of showing it but we were excited and we jumped the gun a bit. We still have a lot of work to do in order to really define the look of the game. If nothing else, the clockwork fruit f*cker at the end seems to have struck the right note with most of you so I'm glad we included him in the trailer.

Seems to echo much of what's been said in this thread.

That little robot is the sole reason I'm not going to pass on this. I was meh about everything else.

Edwin, that's hilarious. I'd sig that if I could.