10 strategy games coming to the DS

Poppinfresh wrote:

I'll be honest-- I've had a DS for about a year now, and don't currently own any games for it. I play some GBA games that I haven't finished and rent some DS games. There just hasn't been anything out there that's quite attracted me enough to buy and keep. These games, though, are exactly the sort of games I'd love to see. I haven't played a Settlers game in years, and I'd love to revisit the concept. All of these games sound great. Makes me wonder if this will get DSGamer to actually own a DS again. :)

It would take a lot right now. Between the hand pain the DS caused me and the lack of games, it's going to take FFTA2 being a monster game at this point.

DSGamer wrote:
Poppinfresh wrote:

I'll be honest-- I've had a DS for about a year now, and don't currently own any games for it. I play some GBA games that I haven't finished and rent some DS games. There just hasn't been anything out there that's quite attracted me enough to buy and keep. These games, though, are exactly the sort of games I'd love to see. I haven't played a Settlers game in years, and I'd love to revisit the concept. All of these games sound great. Makes me wonder if this will get DSGamer to actually own a DS again. :)

It would take a lot right now. Between the hand pain the DS caused me and the lack of games, it's going to take FFTA2 being a monster game at this point.

Dang! My prognostication days have clearly hit a middle.

*bonk*

While Anno 1701 turned out to be a really neat title ... just stay away from Settlers. They apparently screwed it up. I know two people who got it, and so far it's been mostly complaints. Shoddy performance, mediocre usability and the game tends to crash (!).

That sucks. I am looking forward to the latest version of Settlers PC, though. Looks amazing.

Spunior wrote:

*bonk*

While Anno 1701 turned out to be a really neat title ...

has this/will this even be released in the US?

Panzer Tactics!!! /sweet

SommerMatt wrote:
Spunior wrote:

*bonk*

While Anno 1701 turned out to be a really neat title ...

has this/will this even be released in the US?

It's being published by Ubisoft, so there's no real reason why it shouldn't make its way to the US. Of course, over here people are wondering how that thing got Nintendo's approval at this point, so it's not like you'd be missing out, should it not come.

Spunior wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Spunior wrote:

*bonk*

While Anno 1701 turned out to be a really neat title ...

has this/will this even be released in the US?

It's being published by Ubisoft, so there's no real reason why it shouldn't make its way to the US. Of course, over here people are wondering how that thing got Nintendo's approval at this point, so it's not like you'd be missing out, should it not come. :)

you just said it was a "really neat title." Why wouldn't we want it?

D'oh, misread and thought you were referring to Settlers. I think they announced some date for 1701, I know some people though, who got it via import from Europe already.

I just wanted to say thanks for the heads up Spunior. I put The Settlers on my "to watch" list based on your recommendation and your warning is enough to take it off the list. Anno 1701 does not have a confirmed US release yet, at least not that I've been able to discover.
http://www.tothegame.com/game.asp?id=6453
http://www.anno-ds.de/index.php?id=2&L=1
http://ds.ign.com/objects/893/893951.html

Looks like it was a June release in Germany and the UK.

I think we can put Warhammer 40k Squad Command on this list too, supposedly coming out Q3 or Q4 of 2007 for the DS and PSP.

I'm giving a second thanks for the heads up about the Settlers. If Panzer Tactics doesn't turn out solid I think I will loose faith in DS as a strategy console. So far every strategy game that I have been looking forward to has turned out sub par.

Edwin wrote:

How bout this one?

http://ds.qj.net/A-new-batch-of-Lumi...

EGM reviewed this game in the new issue... gave it a 5.5/6.0/6.0.

The biggest knocks against it are that it's "FFTA"-lite with ugly graphics and a lame story, and the stylus control is "spotty."

Going back to the original list, X-Play reviewed Steel Horizon and tore it a new one (although my distaste for X-Play is well noted).