The big "How do I choose an HDTV?" thread.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Amazon will deliver it and set it up, FYI.

Not in Canada I'm afraid. I don't even have to check - Amazon.ca is sooooo underpowered.

Your location isn't Canada, brainiac. I checked with Amazon for you, and they deliver anywhere outside of The Melding.

Strangeblades, I think I'm eyeballing the exact same model you are to pick up in the near future so looking forward to your feedback. (Except it's $899 everywhere I've been looking, and I'm also considering splurging on the 60" version of that model.)

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Your location isn't Canada, brainiac. I checked with Amazon for you, and they deliver anywhere outside of The Melding. :razz:

Huh? I'm in Hamilton, Ont. right now and I'm going back to northern Ontario tomorrow (Sunday). I don't get it.

kuddles wrote:

Strangeblades, I think I'm eyeballing the exact same model you are to pick up in the near future so looking forward to your feedback. (Except it's $899 everywhere I've been looking, and I'm also considering splurging on the 60" version of that model.)

If you guys go LG for the price I highly recommend going big. A 60" set is better, in my opinion, than a 50" set with a slightly better picture quality.

When looking at reviews, particularly pro/enthusiast reviews, pay close attention to out-of-the-box performance. A set with a good movie or standard preset is a good barometer for overall picture quality.

But, but, everyone knows Ontario is in the US!

Strangeblades wrote:

Huh? I'm in Hamilton, Ont. right now and I'm going back to northern Ontario tomorrow (Sunday). I don't get it.

Read what it says right under your avatar, silly.

heavyfeul wrote:

If you guys go LG for the price I highly recommend going big. A 60" set is better, in my opinion, than a 50" set with a slightly better picture quality.

When looking at reviews, particularly pro/enthusiast reviews, pay close attention to out-of-the-box performance. A set with a good movie or standard preset is a good barometer for overall picture quality.

I know, but at the same time I'm trying to start saving more money in my retirement fund and to travel so I'm kind of not sold on going for 60" when I would have been happy with less.

The model I am eyeing, and I suspect Strangeblades is too, doesn't include SMART TV, 3D and has fewer features on the remote side, none of which I'm interested in. (I already have like 3 devices that do all the SmartTV stuff, and I've been uninterested with 3D in general, but especially active shutter.) It's apparently LG's 2012 plasma panel - just without the frills. The only negative I've seen online is that when you turn it on for the first time it looks a little dull since it defaults to energy saving mode which can be turned off the menu. But other than that, it seems pretty positive, although as I said it's extremely new so there aren't many long-term impressions yet.

Malor wrote:

But, but, everyone knows Ontario is in the US!

Thankfully, kuddles understood what I thought was going to be a funny reply.

If the TV is going to be in the house for 5+ years, it is worth it to go big. 60" feels like a home theater.

I rationalize expenditures like this by calculating how many hours a week I watch movies, tv, and play video games. Having one big beautiful home theater setup is every geek's god given right damn it!

I totally agree - when I think about how all of my sports/TV show/movie watching, console gaming, etc. is on my TV, it makes sense to me to go big. It's especially comforting to me that plasma is a pretty mature technology, and this year's purchase is unlikely to be depressingly obsolete in only a few years. Compared to computer equipment, it's easy to buy a TV for the long haul.

I reckon there won't be a big shift in TV technology until big OLEDs etc. are commercially viable.

Thanks for the input peoples. I'm sticking with a 50 inch because I will always live in small places (just big enough for a 50 inch though :O ) and this is an upgrade from a SD glass-box cathode ray tube - any improvement will be a mountain of improvement.

Just bought me a 50 inch plasma. Yee and Haw - The movie Alien never looked so beautifully gross as it does on plasma. Plasma. Quick! To the Jeffries Tubes! Sorry. ST burst there.

Can I turn on HD plasma TV after 7 hours of travel and 10 minutes lying flat?

I haven't heard anything about plasmas being motion-sensitive, or needing settling time. As long as it was kept at about room temperature, I don't think waiting will make any difference. It will work or it won't, and it'll be the same tomorrow as it is today.

Malor wrote:

I haven't heard anything about plasmas being motion-sensitive, or needing settling time. As long as it was kept at about room temperature, I don't think waiting will make any difference. It will work or it won't, and it'll be the same tomorrow as it is today.

Super duper. (Also it works. [size=8]squee[/size] )

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

MannishBoy wrote:

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

I am interested in after-market cooling to extend the plasma's life and lessen the chance of burn in. Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

Strangeblades wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

I am interested in after-market cooling to extend the plasma's life and lessen the chance of burn in. Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

Modern plasmas don't really have that issue from what I've heard. Just enable the burn in protection feature (Pixel Shifting) that's somewhere in the menu. You should be AOK with that enabled. It's probably enabled by default.

Strangeblades wrote:

Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

Everything I've found on the subject suggests that if you're the kind of person who is concerned about burn-in, you don't need to be concerned about burn-in. The problem is so not a factor anymore on modern plasmas that you have to be ridiculously abusive to encounter it. (i.e. Turn off the screensaving option in both your television and the device you're using, than play a completely static image all day long and something might happen.) There was one guy using the model you bought on the Something Awful forums who said he got an outline of a HUD element from an FPS he was playing. In that circumstance he was marathoning through the campaign the entire day and fell asleep with it still running overnight. He was still left with a burn-in that you could barely see unless you tried to focus on it and that dissapeared after less than a week.

EDIT: If you're really worried about it, the AVForums suggest you watch mostly content without black bars for the first 100 hours or so. I have no idea if this is needed or not.

Strangeblades wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

I am interested in after-market cooling to extend the plasma's life and lessen the chance of burn in. Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

This is a good read about the guy at HD Guru attempting to create burn in on modern sets.

These AV forum guys sound a little hardcore. I'm afraid of them now.

Always remember the sagacious words of Ron Popeil, "just set and forget it."

IMAGE(http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/atv_slide101.jpg)

MannishBoy wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

I am interested in after-market cooling to extend the plasma's life and lessen the chance of burn in. Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

This is a good read about the guy at HD Guru attempting to create burn in on modern sets.

Good article.. shame the average internet troll would never read it... or they will make outlandish personal claims of "burn in"

TheGameguru wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

I think the think with transporting plasmas is more about stress cracking or delaminating the screen is much more likely if they are moved while laying horizontally.

I am interested in after-market cooling to extend the plasma's life and lessen the chance of burn in. Speaking of which can burn-in images fade away or am I screwed? (no problems yet BTW)

This is a good read about the guy at HD Guru attempting to create burn in on modern sets.

Good article.. shame the average internet troll would never read it... or they will make outlandish personal claims of "burn in"

Yeah. That article, the author's tone and the length he (she?) went to impressed me.

It's not me humping it. Yet

IMAGE(http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/Strangeblades/miscellaneous/P1030943.jpg?t=1337446906)
Blacklight Retribution on a 50-inch screen baby!

I gotta say this. I'm tweeting on a 50 inch screen!!!!! I grew up poor (and sometimes starving ) so this feels dreamlike. Income!!!!

Livin' the dream, man, livin' the dream.

That table you have it standing on is making me incredibly nervous, though. But then again, I own a cat who just loves jumping on furniture.

kuddles wrote:

That table you have it standing on is making me incredibly nervous, though. But then again, I own a cat who just loves jumping on furniture.

We have two cats and they never jump on there. Also that stand it sits in is heavy steel and the TV weighs a good amount thanks to the glass front. It's not going anywhere. Also the base is very wide.

So it looks like I'm biting the bullet this coming Friday because my old 37" is most definitely dying. It's basically down between the plasma Strangeblades bought or a 55" LED which will cost a little more but I was impressed with in the store.

Pretty much the only thing I'm wringing my hands about with the LG plasma is the recurring complaint online about the glare. While there will be no light directly opposing the screen, I do have a rather large window area on one side of the room, and usually leave a light on at the other side. I don't drive so if it turns out to be a huge problem when I set it up it will be a huge bitch to return. I know people have been saying words like "reasonable light control" and "very bright room" but I have absolutely no clue where my living room fits under those considerations.